Author Topic: Uncle Toni: Rafaelīs knee is not fine  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Uncle Toni: Rafaelīs knee is not fine
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
The knee

“Rafa feels much better than we would have expected. Technically he improved and plays better than before. The level kept in Rome was very high.”
Toni Nadal talked to Radiogaceta recently, also saying: "The knee is not very fine but it allows him to play and this is what it counts, we had problems also recently but the important is get in court and play matches.”
A few weeks ago, Toni said that he doesn't see Federer as a favorite in Paris, and stood by his opinion.
"Djokovic is one of the main candidates for the final victory, his defeat in Rome surprised me. He had the match in hands against Berdych but these are things that can happen. Novak is currently the most reliable player. Federer? I don’t see him among the favourites. To they are Djokovic, Ferrer and Rafael. Then I would say Del Potro, Berdych or Dimitrov who can raise their level and become candidates.”
With the victory obtained in Rome, Nadal became number 1 in the race.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Uncle Toni: Rafaelīs knee is not fine
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
I don't get how he can put Fed so low.  :confused1:

To they are Djokovic, Ferrer and Rafael.
Then I would say Del Potro, Berdych or Dimitrov who can raise their level and become candidates.

I can see how he would put Nadal and Djokovic ahead.
But DelPo(who is out), Ferrer, Berdych, and Dimitrov(wow). 

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
they can go cry somewhere else. nobody told these idiots to go kill the knees on the hard courts in indian wells.

and before that this blundering idiot just had to go play an exo on the hard courts against del potro.

and now they have scheduled play in basel, Switzerland.

there is no question that the knee issue exists but there is also no question nadal is just about dying to end his career.

is it even possible to be this bloody dense? he is a damn idiot. its just that simple.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
CD - all that matters is "the idiot" has 24 MS-1000 titles now. The knees be damned.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »
CD - all that matters is "the idiot" has 24 MS-1000 titles now. The knees be damned.

Yep. Even if he were to retire in a year, he'd be ending up with somewhere around 14 slams, a record for number of masters titles, probably closer to 30, take home the title of Clay GOAT forever, a few (or a lot) million dollars in pure prize  money not to mention how much more in endorsements..

Yeah I'd go through some pain in my knees or even a surgery or two for that and just load up on some pain killers. Not to mention the knees are surely nothing life threatening and his life will be completely normal once he gets off the tour.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »

Yep. Even if he were to retire in a year, he'd be ending up with somewhere around 14 slams, a record for number of masters titles, probably closer to 30, take home the title of Clay GOAT forever, a few (or a lot) million dollars in pure prize  money not to mention how much more in endorsements..

Yeah I'd go through some pain in my knees or even a surgery or two for that and just load up on some pain killers. Not to mention the knees are surely nothing life threatening and his life will be completely normal once he gets off the tour.

Where did you get 14 slams? I see 1 more French open for Nadal and that's it.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »
I am not happy with the clay warrior.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Uncle Toni: Rafael´s knee is not fine
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:04 AM »
Maybe this is his Uncle's way of trying to take the pressure off Nadal some? I mean there probably hasn't been a more dominant favor at a grand slam in a while. If Nadal even wins a close set people might wonder what's wrong with him!

As for the favorites - a fool would only put players ranked lower and who haven't even won a grand slam lower than Roger. I mean Ferrer and Dimitrov? For heavens sake??? Lol

He should have just stopped with Novak. Nadal is the favorite with Novak next. If he would have just stopped there, he would have more credibility than tacking on those other names and putting them in front of Roger. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:07:35 AM by Dallas »

Online mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »
sometimes i cannot stand Uncle Toni for repeating the same words over and over again

his strategy of always playing down rafa's chances to win looks old and boring.  Yes, its good to remain humble, but sometimes he did it to the extreme and its kind of fake.  And if rafa's knees is not fine, why you asked him to play so many tournaments?  ..-) ..-)

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 03:27:39 AM »
It's very simple.  Rafa has a chronic knee condition.  He can play through it, some days more pain, some days less pain.
When he loses, Rafa doesn't blame the knee right away out of respect to his opponent. 

But a month later, Toni will come out and say the knee was bothering Rafa, restricting his movements, and was the main reason for the loss.
Nadal's huge fan base takes this in, hook, line, and sinker and say Nadal has never lost when healthy... ..-) :)) :)) :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

If it is a huge loss, Rafa withdraws from the tour, plays more golf and poker until he gets in the right condition to start practicing on his home built hard court and see if his knee can survive an hour practice/day.  Then he finally begins playing again, wins tournaments left and right, especially on clay, and until the knee becomes the center of attention again.  Wash, rinse, repeat...   ..-)

I'm not happy with Uncle Toni.   :mad1:
Putting Federer below Ferrer and Dimitrov at RG is like putting the Pope below a Cardinal and a Deacon***. 
Obviously trolling the RF fanbase.   :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:  :)) :))

Respectfully,
masterclass

*** Nadal is God at RG  :not worthy:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:34:30 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Online mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:38:52 AM »
It's very simple.  Rafa has a chronic knee condition.  He can play through it, some days more pain, some days less pain.
When he loses, Rafa doesn't blame the knee right away out of respect to his opponent. 

But a month later, Toni will come out and say the knee was bothering Rafa, restricting his movements, and was the main reason for the loss.Nadal's huge fan base takes this in, hook, line, and sinker and say Nadal has never lost when healthy... ..-) :)) :)) :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

If it is a huge loss, Rafa withdraws from the tour, plays more golf and poker until he gets in the right condition to start practicing on his home built hard court and see if his knee can survive an hour practice/day.  Then he finally begins playing again, wins tournaments left and right, especially on clay, and until the knee becomes the center of attention again.  Wash, rinse, repeat...   ..-)

I'm not happy with Uncle Toni.   :mad1:
Putting Federer below Ferrer and Dimitrov at RG is like putting the Pope below a Cardinal and a Deacon***. 
Obviously trolling the RF fanbase.   :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:  :)) :))

Respectfully,
masterclass

*** Nadal is God at RG  :not worthy:

I hate this.  May be this was really the main reason that he lost, but this sounds like a bad excuse.  Accept the defeat with grace, and not to complain that much.  Thats the things that i don't like uncle Toni. Sometimes I think he is really dumb and don't know how to deal with the media.  I still remember in the earlier years when Rafa loved to put his love affair low-profile and kept saying he got no time for girls, then his foolish uncle told the mediia that he got a girl, thus leading to more paparazzis came after Rafa. Rafa is even more mature than his uncle.

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 04:17:47 AM »
Yes, Mimi.  I definitely think there is some sort of psychology going on here between Uncle Toni, the media, and Rafa.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:47:38 AM »
isn't this old news?

of course he's always playing in some level of pain........he looked fine in rome, so expecting the same movement at RG and wimbledon.........and then he has a break of one month anyway........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
isn't this old news?

of course he's always playing in some level of pain........he looked fine in rome, so expecting the same movement at RG and wimbledon.........and then he has a break of one month anyway........

Yeah it's old news but uncle Toni wants everyone to know about it.

There's many players in other sports that have this kind of problem, especially basketball.
It won't hurt their performance but they can feel discomfort.
Michael Jordan had this problem but much worse, he had surgery to clean the joints of frayed material.
It never hurt his game but he was the toughest player there was, never brought it up and never used it as an excuse later.

Uncle Toni hurts the image of Nadal, he tries to put the blame on the knees for failure where that kind of problem doesn't decrease performance.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »
Don Toni is full of it and he talks nonsense again.  I'm getting tired of this 'knee is fine, but not really fine, but, but'  :\.  Fed is clearly the third favorite after Rafa and Nole. and saying that Dimitrov who won nothing in his life, who gets cramps in best of 2, who is unfit is one the favorites is simply laughable.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Maybe this is his Uncle's way of trying to take the pressure off Nadal some? I mean there probably hasn't been a more dominant favor at a grand slam in a while. If Nadal even wins a close set people might wonder what's wrong with him!

As for the favorites - a fool would only put players ranked lower and who haven't even won a grand slam lower than Roger. I mean Ferrer and Dimitrov? For heavens sake??? Lol

He should have just stopped with Novak. Nadal is the favorite with Novak next. If he would have just stopped there, he would have more credibility than tacking on those other names and putting them in front of Roger. Just my opinion.

That's been the consistent theme throughout his career.
Reduced expectations create the opportunity for relaxed play.
Remove the pressure and performance skyrockets for most players.

That being said, I think the knees are/have been a chronic problem for Nadal and will continue to be so.  Most athletes learn to play with pain and injury and he is no exception.

As for the rest of Unc Toni's comments, it's just jibber jabber/pot stirring.
He'd be better off just keeping his mouth shut.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »

That's been the consistent theme throughout his career.
Reduced expectations create the opportunity for relaxed play.
Remove the pressure and performance skyrockets for most players.

That being said, I think the knees are/have been a chronic problem for Nadal and will continue to be so.  Most athletes learn to play with pain and injury and he is no exception.

As for the rest of Unc Toni's comments, it's just jibber jabber/pot stirring.
He'd be better off just keeping his mouth shut.

:rofl_2:   :king:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »
 :)) :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
A visual about Nadal's knee.

Knee

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »
More of Uncle Toni's psych-out bulls**t. Just don't pay any attention.