Author Topic: Jerzy Janowicz  (Read 4129 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: Jerzy Janowicz
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 04:10:54 AM »
Jerzy has a very good chance of getting to the SF's by beating fellow countryman Kubot.
He'll move up pretty well in the rankings and this will be a very nice check.

His parents sold their store to pay for his tennis training when he was starting out, they will all be living very nicely I have a feeling.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/01/us-tennis-men-masters-janowicz-idUSBRE8A01D420121101
Emotional Janowicz goes all out in search for sponsors

Poland's Jerzy Janowicz celebrates after winning his men's singles match against Britain's Andy Murray during the Paris Masters tennis tournament November 1, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Benoit Tessier

By Julien Pretot

PARIS | Thu Nov 1, 2012 3:12pm EDT

PARIS (Reuters) - A few years ago, Jerzy Janowicz's parents sold their shops and apartments so that their son could play professional tennis.
On Thursday, Janowicz started to repay their faith with a barnstorming performance that left U.S. Open champion Andy Murray red faced in the third round of the Paris Masters.

"It's not easy for me to talk about this week because I had really tough moments in my life and this is really like a movie for me," the 21-year-old Pole, who also beat Marin Cilic and Philip Kohlschreiber in Paris, told a news conference following his 5-7 7-6 6-2 win over the Briton.

Asked to elaborate, world number 69 Janowicz took a sip from an energy drink and paused for some 20 seconds and said: "Well, I had problems in my life. First of all, I have always had problems with sponsors.

"I didn't have money for my career; all the time my parents were helping me. They were selling their shops, they were selling the few apartments, so they decided to go all in to help me as much as possible."

Janowicz had other problems, but he would not say more.

"This is the problems actually I can tell you," he explained.

The son of two former professional volleyball players, Janowicz picked up his first racket while he was still wearing nappies.

"When I was like two years old I was running already with a tennis racket on the court," he said.

"I couldn't basically hit one ball but I was holding this racket all the time."

Becoming a professional tennis player is no easy feat and Janowicz is well aware of that.

"I just would like to have few days off to think about what happened this week, because this week is really not easy to take for me because I'm from Poland and I know it's not easy to become professional tennis player," he said.

While no one would have blamed Janowicz if he had decided to paint the town red in celebration following his unexpected win on Thursday, the Pole has more pressing concerns. He is still looking for a sponsor.

"I have problem with sponsors. I was fighting my whole life with money, so this week is really important for me to get some sponsors, to get some help," he said.

Janowicz will face eighth seed Janko Tipsarevic for a place in the semi-finals and Murray warned the Serb to expect some more fireworks from the Pole.

Like most tall players on the circuit, Janowicz is a big server, having already served at 251 kph. However, he is not just a one-weapon player.

"He is maybe a little bit more unpredictable than a few of them from the back of the court," said Murray.

"He tried a lot of dropshots and went for winners maybe when he was out of position that maybe some of the others don't."

Janowicz, who has been working with a fitness coach since the beginning of the season and has changed his racket, is not looking for excuses anymore.

"My behaviour on the court is also a little bit different. I decide not to give up, whatever the situation," he explained.

"I'm fighting right now for every single ball. Doesn't matter if I feel good or not, if I have good day or week. I'm just trying to play my tennis."

(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Pritha Sarkar)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10153942/Wimbledon-2013-Jerzy-Janowicz-reaps-reward-for-enduring-poverty.html
Wimbledon 2013: Jerzy Janowicz reaps reward for enduring poverty
It was only 18 months ago that Jerzy Janowicz was unable to take part in Australian Open qualifying because he could not afford his plane fare.

Star Pole: Jerzy Janowicz sinks to his knees in celebration after defeated Jurgen Melzer Photo: GETTY IMAGES
 By Jonathan Liew, at Wimbledon
10:00PM BST 01 Jul 2013
1 Comment
Despite finishing runner-up in both the French and US Opens as a junior, he was ranked No 221 in the world and was struggling to attract a sponsor. Money was so tight that his parents were forced to sell their chain of sport shops to keep him afloat. Sometimes he would sleep in his car while playing tournaments.

Now, the 22-year-old from Lodz in Poland is one of the stars of Wimbledon fortnight, a grand-slam quarter-finalist for the first time. The 24th seed beat Austrian veteran Jurgen Melzer in five tight sets – 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 – to set up a last‑eight match against compatriot Lukasz Kubot.

The Poles have not had a men’s grand-slam quarter-finalist since Wojtek Fibak in 1980. Now, for the first time in their history, they have two, along with Agnieszka Radwanska in the ladies’ singles. “It’s unbelievable,” Janowicz said. “This is by far the best thing that possibly could happen to Polish tennis. What is going on is magical.”

Poland will come to a standstill on Wednesday. Andy Murray will likely be watching, too. He would meet the winner of that match in the semi‑finals.

The progress of Kubot, a dour, attritional clay-courter whose can‑can victory celebration is comfortably the most interesting thing about him, is more surprising. But it is the journey of Janowicz, an extremely tall, extremely gifted, extremely temperamental man‑child, that is by far the more arresting.

Related Articles
Tomic loses to Berdych in four set thriller
01 Jul 2013
Andy Murray v Mikhail Youzhny: as it happened
01 Jul 2013
Djokovic: I'm in the form of my life
01 Jul 2013
'Curse of Cameron' strikes again as Robson loses
01 Jul 2013
Murray survives wobble to beat Youzhny
01 Jul 2013

When he was a junior, for example, he was offered the chance to wave away his money worries for good by taking Qatari citizenship. “I actually said no straightaway,” he said.

Besides, he always knew he had a rare talent. He modelled his technique on Pete Sampras, his attitude on Marat Safin. He shot up to a height of 6ft   8in and developed the fearsome serve that remains his most potent weapon. Yet for several years after his junior breakthrough, his career stagnated.

He needed to play tournaments to generate cash. But he needed cash to play tournaments. At US Open qualifying a couple of years ago, it is said that Polish New Yorkers chipped in to buy him a pair of shoes.

His breakthrough came at last year’s Paris Masters, where he beat five top-20 players in a row – including Murray – on his way to the final. Since then, his rise up the rankings has been vertiginous as his growth spurt.

Though he boasts the fastest serve of the tournament (140mph), Janowicz offers much more than brute force. His drop shot is beautifully disguised and his sliced backhand a potent weapon on this surface. If his fitness holds, he could cause Murray quite a few problems.

He is one of the grumps of the tour, too, his on-court dissent measuring somewhere in between a Premier League footballer and a man attempting to resist arrest. After an almighty strop at this year’s Australian Open, in which he thumped the umpires chair and threw his water bottle over a series of questionable line-calls, he resolved to control his emotions on court.

On Monday’s evidence, he was either lying or joking.

Within the first hour of this match, he had harangued a line-judge (“You have only one line to watch, it’s not so complicated!”), slipped over twice, sent three balls over the perimeter fence, described the umpire as “useless” for correctly calling a let, and lost the first set. Melzer, that wily old Viennese fox, was serving beautifully into the corners and hustling magnificently from the baseline. “Bravo, Jurgen!” Janowicz muttered, parroting the fervid cries of encouragement Melzer was getting from his corner.

But as long as Janowicz kept serving aces and hitting winners, he had a chance. The line judges were still irking him. After another call went against him, he bristled, went back to the baseline and sent down a 109 mph second serve ace to win the second set.

Melzer took the match into a decider after going a break down early in the fourth, but Janowicz’s head did not drop. He broke early in the final set and, serving for the match, produced a flawless love-game to wrap it up. As he dropped to his knees, a feral roar filled the cloudless Wimbledon skies.

He knew, as we did, that this could turn out to be quite a journey.

I think it is one of big reasons why he is so emotion on every shot he wins.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:11:47 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »
A stall job to start the match against Melzer is a bit of a turnoff for me.
Jurgen started him off with an ace as punishment.

Commentator went so far as to say that perhaps JJ was trying to emulate Rafa Stalldal and his gamesmanship with stalling tactics.  Hope that's not the case in the long run. :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
22 y/o 1st SF, Tommy was 21 when he did that, but if he reaches the final and even win it at 22 years of age, then he'll have my permission to beat Tommy in that record
 :))
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
22 y/o 1st SF, Tommy was 21 when he did that, but if he reaches the final and even win it at 22 years of age, then he'll have my permission to beat Tommy in that record
 :))
Magnanimous of you Sir.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 10:27:33 PM »

A look at Jerzy Janowicz

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 01:53:35 AM »
Hey swishsky...

Keep f**king That Chicken
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »
I'm sorry, but after I've seen this I'm scared of this Polish guy. He is psychotic I think  :zipped:
Jerzy Janowicz INTERVIEW after quarterfinal win in Wimbledon

Hahaha!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »
JJ's got some nice touch for a big guy.
Sort of a bummer that his game reminds me of Andy's (not Murray) at the start of his career.  Big serve, big FH.

He does have a decent slice BH though. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
Jerzy Janowicz has a great game,don't get me wrong i'm happy Murray won today.But @ 22 yeays of age he moving up the ranking,for sure he's going to be a top 10 player & maybe a top 5 player.A good USO for him,might move him into the top 10.For a 22 year old he's had a great Wimby.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2013, 12:42:04 AM »
since sig, sid. Perfect size and we can still figure out that you're a Murray fan :good:

Anyway, I didn't get to see as much of the match as I would like to have, but Jerzy showed me game I didn't expect to see. BH was a lot better than I had seen in other matches. Stayed in rallies longer than I expected, too.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »
Hey, do you guys mind if I like him, too. He's hilarious! Like the personality a lot. :good:

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
For me, the consistency has to continue improving in the future. The backhand has to be more consistency and more angle and deep in the same time. The second serve also need to be more top spin, otherwise he can make double faults in crucial situation. The 1st serve still has room to improve, for example placement and precise.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:32:45 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »
Hey, do you guys mind if I like him, too. He's hilarious! Like the personality a lot. :good:

You get mental illness, didn't you? :whistle: :cool: :rofl_2:
Anyway, Jerzy still has a lot of problems need to solve.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Jerzy Janowicz
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »

Too funny!! Yeah, you know me so well already, Bill! Move over swishsky, I get to drive the bandwagon, fool.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »
Murray upsets Nole.
Stick a fork in it.
It's done.

"Poppa Top" ridin' dirty in da back of de Bandwagon! :drinks:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »

Too funny!! Yeah, you know me so well already, Bill! Move over swishsky, I get to drive the bandwagon, fool.

I'll sit in the back and pop a brewsky.  :gleam:

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
Jerzy said he will do medical inspection for his elbow injure before North America season.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:39:54 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 02:38:35 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xoQ07oTojY

Wimbledon 2013: Andy Murray vs.Jerzy Janowicz - Full Semifinal
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:25:34 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 05:21:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xoQ07oTojY
Wimbledon 2013: Andy Murray vs.Jerzy Janowicz - Full Semifinal

Another area for Jerzy to improve, serve for volley game.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:22:14 AM by williamchung7 »