Author Topic: The Great Tommy Haas: What Is Driving Him And How Far Can He Go  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
the great tommy haas. what is driving him?

and what is his secret?

and how far can he go?

you have the floor. run with it.

what are tommy`s unique and significant competencies on the battlefield. what makes him unique to the competitive arena at this advanced age?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:05:36 PM by Clay Death »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: The Great Tommy Haas: What Is Driving Him And How Far Can He Go
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:06:34 PM »
I guess it's no surprise to see me replying here, so I'll give it a go  :)~

the great tommy haas. what is driving him?
That's an easy one. Obviously a tremendous love for the game. It has been proven many times in the past.
Such an unlucky career that many other players would have ended long ago.
Firstly some minor issues, then right after he climbed to the #2 in the rankings, his dad had motor accident that left his father in coma. He was off for so long only to return and have a serious injury which sent him off courts for a year. All that followed by 3 major right shoulder injuries forcing him off the courts for couple of years in total. Minor problems during '06-09' and when everything seemed fine another major hip surgery in 2010-2011.
With the list of all injuries he's had in the past one would retire ages ago, but he has proven his love for the game, so that's basically what has been driving him ever since.
And now that he has family and young baby girl, that also drives him.

and what is his secret?
Again, probably his love for the sport.
Besides that, huge devotion and determination. Tommy is a hard working player, and very emotional which is kinda atypical for german players in general.

and how far can he go?
As long as he is healthy and without injuries.
His goal was that his daughter can watch him play and realize what her father is doing.
As for rankings, I don't think it matters to him anymore. He is(just like me) happy to be competing at such a high level against top dogs.
Titles and trophies comes as extra and as payment for all the hard working he's done in his career.
So if he stays healthy, that could give him extra few more years on top level.
After all, if you take all the time he has been off courts he would be 32 tennis wise haha

what are tommy`s unique and significant competencies on the battlefield. what makes him unique to the competitive arena at this advanced age?
Probably won't be wrong if I say variety. He knows the situation and he is not shy to try so many different things during one point.
That's why I love his game. It looks so elegant and beautiful, that sometimes I don't care if he loses, I'm just happy to see that style of play.
He's 99% of the time offensive minded, he wants to dictate the point by producing his variety.
Back in 2009 he S&V too much for that generation of players. When you look at it, its understandable that he had to do it considering that he just got back from another injury. So in a way, he wanted as shorter points as he can get. Now when his injuries are gone, he's back to his well known all-around with lot of variety game style.
He's an agent of tennis elegance, so hopefully younger generation will embrace it and try to keep it alive  ;-()
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:15:31 PM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
he is surely driven to make the most of his remaining time on the tour. that much is certain.

his family is a source of his motivations also.

I think the guy is a hugely gifted tennis player. he can really do it all out there.

it was just a matter of getting healthy, staying healthy, and taking the fitness a little higher.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »
fantastic post general lugburz.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »
Thanks general Hercs.

Yeah staying healthy and fit is the key. Could as well be attached to everyday life, not just tennis or any other sport for that matter.
Jeez I feel so good after some good 2 hours of tennis or sport in general. Sadly I can't do it so often...

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
Nothing special, I think.  :) A lot of experience helps him mentally when he's down in a set. He has pinpoint accuracy in his shots, and a good amount of variety.

Age isn't really a factor in Haas's game in best, because he doesn't put too much strain on his body. He hits a simple forehand and simple backhand without putting too much effort into either shot.

I think he can get to the top 10 but won't get past Round 3 at the remaining slams  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
tommy is going to surprise you at RG captain OW.

:)) :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
Nothing special, I think.  :) A lot of experience helps him mentally when he's down in a set. He has pinpoint accuracy in his shots, and a good amount of variety.

Age isn't really a factor in Haas's game in best, because he doesn't put too much strain on his body. He hits a simple forehand and simple backhand without putting too much effort into either shot.

I think he can get to the top 10 but won't get past Round 3 at the remaining slams  :)

nothing special hehe and yet you mentioned so many things that are good about him  :)

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
tommy is blessed.

he is 6 foot 2 and he has every shot under the sun.

the man was born to be a tennis player.

he has talent on loan from the gods.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »
good post lugburz :) sums it up perfectly. I'll add that Tommy might also be enjoying more because of his injuries, the fact that he can play at a high level still is a miracle of sorts and gives him the fun factor, everything is a bonus and might as well enjoy and make the most of it. That's gotta make a big difference to keep him excited and keep playing as long as his body holds up instead of tiring of the game and the grind. Kinda like how James Blake came back from his near-paralysis to revive his career and compete as a solid top 5 player for a couple years.

And his game is beautiful so glad to have him around. He might crack the top 10 if he makes a deep run at a slam or a masters, but sustaining it and winning the big titles are... not something I see him doing, and there's nothing wrong with that. What he's doing now is amazing in itself and if he keeps going and keeps making the most of his opportunities he might just surprise us all.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »
Sorry to veer slightly off topic, you just made me think of Brian Baker when you mentioned so many injuries and still playing. The awesome guy from the great city of Nashville, TN  :))

Back on topic, I think he said in an interview once that he wants his daughter to remember him playing tennis as a pro, so apparently he intends to keep going for quite a while.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »

nothing special hehe and yet you mentioned so many things that are good about him  :)

Good things, but I don't believe anything in his game is extremely special. He doesn't have the shotmaking skills of Federer, defense of Nadal of Djokovic, brute power of Berdych and Del Potro, etc.. However he does have a lot of experience and knows when to hit which shots, when to go for a winner, and when to slice it back into the court. If you get what I'm trying to say... :)~

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »

Good things, but I don't believe anything in his game is extremely special. He doesn't have the shotmaking skills of Federer, defense of Nadal of Djokovic, brute power of Berdych and Del Potro, etc.. However he does have a lot of experience and knows when to hit which shots, when to go for a winner, and when to slice it back into the court. If you get what I'm trying to say... :)~

But his game is extremely similar to Fed's. They are the agents of variety and all around game in this era.
He has proven it by defeating Fed on grass and Djokovic on hard(and grass), not to mention he's beaten Berdych both on grass and hard. All wins on their favorite surfaces. All due to his all around game. Thats as special as you can get.
Nadal is truly a bad matchup for him, but to be completely honest, all those matches vs Nadal he played coming after a huge injury break. Don't say he would beat him, but its a factor nevertheless.

Berdych is limited, he has huge serve and huge forehand, but there are many things he's lacking.
DelPo's movement...
Nadal is limited, his game on the net is really something he needs to work on, also his return could be better.

Haas may not have the winning mentality but his game lacks nothing. He's that good in every aspect of the game.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:16:22 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 10:36:44 PM »
nadal cant play tennis. he gives them the whole damn court by playing 100 miles behind the baseline.

only thing he can do is win tennis matches.

and then people wonder why I am never happy with him. I need him to stop farting around with golf and poker and get on with improving a few aspects of his game.

nadal has been at it for nearly 24 years now. he should have learned to volley and hit a perfect slice by now.

tommy, on the other hand, can do it all.  and he never stopped learning. injuries and other setbacks held him back.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »
Nadal's net game is highly underrated. He has some pretty amazing touch. He just doesn't have the flat shots to use as approach shots, so he doesn't come into the net often. It's too easy to lob him off of his heavy topspin shots. The only time he hits flat is when he's going for a winner, and that is usually when he comes into the net, which means he doesn't usually have to actually hit the volley. But when he does, he shows good touch.

But anyways, not to stay off topic. Haas is a fun player to watch. He's got the variety and the smarts. But he's just not that consistent anymore, unfortunately. He's had some early losses in tournaments here and there, which is unfortunate. It'd be nice to see him make a deep run in a major.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Online williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 07:17:26 AM »
Tommy Haas talking to himself

This video talks everything.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:23:56 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »
yeah that video never gets old. :cool:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »
tommy still pulls up at the nick bollieteri academy in south florida to train and practice when he is passing through.

he never misses a training/workout session.

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Tommy Robredo > Tommy Haas  :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
Tommy Robredo > Tommy Haas  :))