Author Topic: The Great Tommy Haas: What Is Driving Him And How Far Can He Go  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: The Great Tommy Haas: What Is Driving Him And How Far Can He Go
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »
tommy haas was once a world #2.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 07:46:53 AM »
The Keys to Success for Tommy are Health and Head. I'm still not completely sold on his head. He's got to prove that he can stay focused throughout a match deep into a huge tournament. I didn't see that happen in Miami. After spanking Ferrer in the 1st set of their SF match, he effing went off the rails again. It's one thing to lose a set, it's another thing to lose your focus and not be able to regroup for 20 minutes. He pulled it together at the start of the 3rd set, but the mental seal had broken by then. It was easy for Ferrer to take control of the match. Tommy can give away sets to the likes of John Isner in a 3R match, but not to the likes of David Ferrer in the semis of a big tournament, and there's a huge drop off from the Top 4 to Ferrer.

Love Tommy, his variety, and as Luggernaut said, joy for the game. But he reminds me so much of my other favorite, old-Marat. Too many self-inflicted wounds.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:07:09 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »
The Keys to Success for Tommy are Health and Head. I'm still not completely sold on his head. He's got to prove that he can stay focused throughout a match deep into a huge tournament. I didn't see that happen in Miami. After spanking Ferrer in the 1st set of their SF match, he effing went off the rails again. It's one thing to lose a set, it's another thing to lose your focus and not be able to regroup for 20 minutes. He pulled it together at the start of the 3rd set, but the mental seal had broken by then. It was easy for Ferrer to take control of the match. Tommy can give away sets to the likes of John Isner in a 3R match, but not to the likes of David Ferrer in the semis of a big tournament, and there's a huge drop off from the Top 4 to Ferrer.

Love Tommy, his variety, and as Luggernaut said, joy for the game. But he reminds me so much of my other favorite, old-Marat. Too many self-inflicted wounds.
Agreed.
Although let's face it. Ferrer is bad match-up for Tommy. He was close in last few encounters, yes. But its too obvious that players like Ferrer don't suit Tommy.

This Isner match was good indication that Tommy improved mentally, but also in Miami as well.
He figured Ferrer's game(like there's something to figure) but couldn't serve in the last set. It was like 20% of 1st serves in. Knowing how good Ferrer's returns are, that was simply wasted opportunity to make a Masters final. He eve had break up in the middle of the 3rd set (*4-3 iirc)

But this match vs Isner is perfect example of what has been dragging from 2009 and when he got back from injury in 2012.
I really thought he will pull old Tommy yet again when he DF on a mp and eventually lost that set. He then went 1-4 down in the decider. To regroup and turn that lead around, really proves how mentally he's tough atm.

I think family and especially his daughter is one of the most important inspiring thing, they kinda push him forward.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:38:06 AM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
tommy is driven to excel in his field no matter how long it takes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:38:59 AM by Clay Death »

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:04 AM »

He figured Ferrer's game(like there's something to figure)

B

A little bit condescending eh?  Ferrer is twice the tennis player Tommy will ever be; so the point of 'who figures out who' fits in the other shoe as Ferrer figuring out Tommy rather easily.

I remember Nadal/Haas match at the AO 2009; excellent display of control aggression....it was a clinic despite Tommy playing his best tennis.

[Grand Slam] Australian Open 2009 Highlights - Rafael Nadal vs Tommy Haas R4

Sometimes I ask myself when I read people dismissing the talents of someone like Ferrer or categorize Nadal as a "defensive" player if they have ever hit a tennis ball.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »

B

A little bit condescending eh?  Ferrer is twice the tennis player Tommy will ever be; so the point of 'who figures out who' fits in the other shoe as Ferrer figuring out Tommy rather easily.

I remember Nadal/Haas match at the AO 2009; excellent display of control aggression....it was a clinic despite Tommy playing his best tennis.

Sometimes I ask myself when I read people dismissing the talents of someone like Ferrer or categorize Nadal as a "defensive" player if they have ever hit a tennis ball.

How great of you posting a match where Tommy just got off an another injury vs prime Nadal. ..-)
And I'm NOT dismissing talents of Ferrer, although I'm not blind, we all know what those talents are! Tennis I don't like.
My opinion.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

I can't breathe...
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »
of course some of them have never hit a tennis ball.

that much is a little too clear.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »

B

How great of you posting a match where Tommy just got off an another injury vs prime Nadal. ..-)
And I'm NOT dismissing talents of Ferrer, although I'm not blind, we all know what those talents are! Tennis I don't like.
My opinion.

You will be hard press to find Tommy in better form. Where did he played his first tournament after injury? I remember people talking about Haas as a tough out for Rafa in the 3rd because of the form he was in.

Yes your opinion, but often it's the case your opinion comes out as statements of facts...like the one I posted above. No biggie

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

I can't breathe...

get some tequila brother and open up those lungs

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »

General, of course it's obvious!    Nobody put's more energy on a tennis ball than Rafa, yet few people claim he is pushing the ball out there.  ..-)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »

B

My opinion.

You will be hard press to find Tommy in better form. Where did he played his first tournament after injury? I remember people talking about Haas as a tough out for Rafa in the 3rd because of the form he was in.

Yes your opinion, but often it's the case your opinion comes out as statements of facts...like the one I posted above. No biggie

I am stating facts. It will be hard press to find Tommy in better form  :confused1: :confused1:
I am stating only facts. He withdrew from Doha that year due to elbow injury, which is A WEEK BEFORE AO iirc.

Ppl talking about that because he dismantled some claycourters in early rounds, but he was NO WHERE near his best tennis lol.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

General, of course it's obvious!    Nobody put's more energy on a tennis ball than Rafa, yet few people claim he is pushing the ball out there.  ..-)

You think I never hit a ball in my life, that's fine I really don't feel the need to explain anything to you. And when did I say that Nadal pushes the ball? And is this thread about Nadal? You are obsessed and delusional fan if you think I'm disrespecting Nadal or any other player for that matter.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »

B

My opinion.

I am stating facts. It will be hard press to find Tommy in better form  :confused1: :confused1:
I am stating only facts. He withdrew from Doha that year due to elbow injury, which is A WEEK BEFORE AO iirc.

Ppl talking about that because he dismantled some claycourters in early rounds, but he was NO WHERE near his best tennis lol.

Did you watch all three matches at the AO that year?   

I went overboard with his "best form".....but he was pretty damn good. I would say if he had a better draw (avoiding Rafa so early) he would have done some damage in that tournament.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

You think I never hit a ball in my life, that's fine I really don't feel the need to explain anything to you. And when did I say that Nadal pushes the ball? And is this thread about Nadal? You are obsessed and delusional fan if you think I'm disrespecting Nadal or any other player for that matter.

Did you said: "He figured Ferrer's game (like there's something to figure)?

Have you called Rafa a "defensive" player?

Yes or no will suffice.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »

B

My opinion.

Did you watch all three matches at the AO that year?   

I went overboard with his "best form".....but he was pretty damn good. I would say if he had a better draw (avoiding Rafa so early) he would have done some damage in that tournament.

Ofc I watched them. I watched all his matches in past 7-10 years or so that were covered by camera on court. And those that weren't, well I followed them on live scoring  :)~
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:26:33 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »

Did you said: "He figured Ferrer's game (like there's something to figure)?

Have you called Rafa a "defensive" player?

Yes or no will suffice.

Yes
yes

and what's disrespecting about that.

I really could elaborate more about this, but you said yes or no will suffice.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »

Yes
yes

Both are extremely inaccurate.

I don't know what you categorized as disrespecting a player's game.......but that sounds like it.

No need to elaborate, been there done that. Maybe we can copy and paste from a few years back  ;-()

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »

Yes
yes

I don't know what you categorized as disrespecting a player's game.......but that sounds like it.

No need to elaborate, been there done that. Maybe we can copy and paste from a few years back  ;-()

If you were more active on this forum you would see my posts about me opening my mind towards defensive players.
About respecting their play even though I'm not fan of tennis like that.

You think I'm disrespecting Nadal by saying he's defensive ?  :rofl_2: Ask general Hercules if you believe him more, he'll tell you why he isn't happy with 'the clay warrior'

I might be a bit more personal about Ferrer because I'm still kinda hurt from his last two encounters with Haas. But there's still nothing disrespecting at all to say that his game is pushing the opponent to the limits 'til he comes victorious for having better stamina and endurance.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »

Yes
yes

If you were more active on this forum you would see my posts about me opening my mind towards defensive players.
About respecting their play even though I'm not fan of tennis like that.

You think I'm disrespecting Nadal by saying he's defensive ?  :rofl_2: Ask general Hercules if you believe him more, he'll tell you why he isn't happy with 'the clay warrior'

I might be a bit more personal about Ferrer because I'm still kinda hurt from his last two encounters with Haas. But there's still nothing disrespecting at all to say that his game is pushing the opponent to the limits 'til he comes victorious for having better stamina and endurance.

A few years ago, that was true about Ferrer but the guy has improve his game tremendously to the point where not only fitness and consistency are the tools of choice but attacking and even some net game here and there. The guy changes trajectory easily with his 2 hander which by default puts pressure on the opponent; his I/O forehand it's a weapon and we saw how he exposed Nadal at Madrid and Rome with his attacking tactics. I think with his result today, he has made 6 CONSECUTIVE GS QF.........that's amazing if you weren't living in the era of the Big 3 + 1.

Well, I think it's very ignorant to call Nadal a defensive player when the guy dictates and impose his game on 99% of the tour, only few player can disrupt the dynamics and keep Nadal on his back foot.....Djokovic of course is one of them. He doesn't run nor defend like he used to and that transition has been going on since 2007, the match-up against Haas it's a perfect example where Nadal it's being the aggressor and forcing the issue.

I have favorite styles too, and it's ironic because I love watching players with 1HBH. Few styles disgust me but it has to be players like Isner...........all serve you know.