Author Topic: The Great Tommy Haas: What Is Driving Him And How Far Can He Go  (Read 2861 times)

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
Re: The Great Tommy Haas: What Is Driving Him And How Far Can He Go
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »
I thought you were sarcastic because iirc that was the 1st time I heard you call me Luggy  ..-)
However if you weren't and I believe you, all good then!
Just for the record : Even though I don't like Ferrer's game I'm definitely not taking anything away from Ferrer. But you really rushed things saying Ferrer is better player due to his stats. Just consider that Tommy had 20+ injuries/illnes during his career, with 3 major right shoulder injuries and 1 major hip surgery. Its all speculation, but imagine if he didn't get injured in crucial parts of his career.

To the topic:
top 10 is really not a problem (by the end of the year) considering he lost in R1 both in Wimbly and USO. Also he didn't play Paris Masters and he'll need to defend R2 at Cincy.
Avoiding the injuries is the key, he has the game to go to the top8 even, if all goes well.

Emma called you Luggy so I followed plus it's easier.

Yes, we can play the speculation game with Haas because of all his injuries but the guy has been playing tennis since the late 90s. I think his legs are younger than your typical 35 year old because of time outside the court.

My last thing on Ferrer. Open your mind a little and watch him play inferior players to him.........you might see what I'm trying to say about his game.

If Haas achieved QF at RG and then go on and have an excellent SW19......top 8 looks good.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »

Yes, we can play the speculation game with Haas because of all his injuries but the guy has been playing tennis since the late 90s. I think his legs are younger than your typical 35 year old because of time outside the court.

My last thing on Ferrer. Open your mind a little and watch him play inferior players to him.........you might see what I'm trying to say about his game.

If Haas achieved QF at RG and then go on and have an excellent SW19......top 8 looks good.

I do agree with that part. It's similar to Agassi's career who was also on and off a lot and Sampras, on the other hand, totally burnt out. after staying at the top for six straight years.

Injuries I take it as part of the whole process though it's very unfortunate but some suffer more than others because of their style of game. Del Potro case in point.

Ferrer is still playing very well despite being healthy all this time and being very consistent. He's 31 even with that sort of mileage on those legs and playing well.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
I hear ya. I know what capabilities lies with Ferrer, for that matter same with Simon, Monfils, Monaco etc but the truth is thy choose mostly not to play aggressive.
There are always bad matchups and different style needs to be adjusted to win the match. I've seen Simon and Ferrer playing ultra aggressive tennis, but the thing is that's not their priority imo.

Also time off court didn't help Tommy's younger legs. Its rather his game style. He doesn't push his body to limits, like most grinders, that's why he can play this late. Ferrer is an exception also, but still 4 years younger, so we'll see how that turns out.

Finally, I've seen Haas playing so many times in his career that I stopped caring about his rankings. As I've said before, I'm just glad I can still watch him play and compete on such a high level toe to toe with top guns...
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
I hear ya. I know what capabilities lies with Ferrer, for that matter same with Simon, Monfils, Monaco etc but the truth is thy choose mostly not to play aggressive.
There are always bad matchups and different style needs to be adjusted to win the match. I've seen Simon and Ferrer playing ultra aggressive tennis, but the thing is that's not their priority imo.

Also time off court didn't help Tommy's younger legs. Its rather his game style. He doesn't push his body to limits, like most grinders, that's why he can play this late. Ferrer is an exception also, but still 4 years younger, so we'll see how that turns out.

Finally, I've seen Haas playing so many times in his career that I stopped caring about his rankings. As I've said before, I'm just glad I can still watch him play and compete on such a high level toe to toe with top guns...

Roger looks old sometimes while Ferrer looks like a kid. The guy is defying conventional logic for sure.

You should care for his ranking, the higher it is; the better chance he will get at reaching finals and winning tournaments. But I know you care cause you almost had a heart attack yesterday

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
I care if its winning or losing ofc. But not if that means will he be #10 or #9 etc.. Rankings come as a bonus.

Also it would be nice to see him within top8 and make YEC. I won't lie, that would be awesome.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2013, 11:04:18 PM »
I think he can do it general lugburz.

the man has the talent and he has the drive.

and thank goodness he has the good health now also.

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 03:39:37 AM »
Colonel to crush this annoying guy. :)>>>> :)>>>> :)>>>>
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.
NO1E, HE CAN DO IT 3 TIMES IN A ROW
NOVAK "WIZARD OF OZ" DJOKOVIC

Quote from: Prodigy.
nick is god

THE AGE OF DJOKER THE BARBARIAN HAS COME

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:36 AM »
 :)) :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2013, 05:44:51 AM »
Colonel to crush this annoying guy. :)>>>> :)>>>> :)>>>>

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2013, 06:04:31 AM »
 :)) :)) :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :hysterical:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:15 AM »

He figured Ferrer's game(like there's something to figure)

B

A little bit condescending eh? Ferrer is twice the tennis player Tommy will ever be;.................. blahblahblahblah something about Nadal blahblahblah...............................   Sometimes I ask myself when I read people dismissing the talents of someone like Ferrer or categorize Nadal as a "defensive" player if they have ever hit a tennis ball.
When exactly was it that Ferrer was #2 in the world (as Herc mentioned at the top of the page).

Let's see what David has accomplished by age 35. ;-()

Ferrer:

20 Career titles, 18 Finals, 5 GS SF, highest rank #4, 518W-255L

Haas:

14 career titles, 12 Finals, 4 GS SF, highest rank #2, 521W-292L

Haas achieved #2 ranking in 2002; Ferrer has been playing his best tennis in the era of the Big 3.

Tennis is about winning matches and Ferrer it's more proficient at winning matches than Haas. As shown above, Ferrer has performed better as well in the biggest of stages. The guy has been to 5 QF at the Slams as well.

Age is relative since Haas has been sideline for a portion of his career while Ferrer has reached his peak later on his career. The guy is 31 playing his best tennis.....who knows where he will be at age 35. It's a moot point.
Going with your assertion that it's about 'winning tennis', show me the math that says Ferrer is 'twice the tennis player' that Tommy is?

My perception is that the stats tell only part of the story.
If Haas were to win a slam now he would still lag in the numbers department, yet will have achieved what every player has dreamed of.

As much as I respect David for his ability to make the most of his tools, I don't care much for grinders.
Tommy far and away has a better game to watch for me.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
The Keys to Success for Tommy are Health and Head. I'm still not completely sold on his head. He's got to prove that he can stay focused throughout a match deep into a huge tournament. I didn't see that happen in Miami. After spanking Ferrer in the 1st set of their SF match, he effing went off the rails again. It's one thing to lose a set, it's another thing to lose your focus and not be able to regroup for 20 minutes. He pulled it together at the start of the 3rd set, but the mental seal had broken by then. It was easy for Ferrer to take control of the match. Tommy can give away sets to the likes of John Isner in a 3R match, but not to the likes of David Ferrer in the semis of a big tournament, and there's a huge drop off from the Top 4 to Ferrer.

Love Tommy, his variety, and as Luggernaut said, joy for the game. But he reminds me so much of my other favorite, old-Marat. Too many self-inflicted wounds.

Interesting look into the mind of Tommy Haas in his own words. He's in studio with ESPN right now discussing Isner match.

"I've had more chances, I deserve to win."

"Then I DF on MP and I'm in the 5th set and I'm thinking, 'Well, maybe I don't deserve to win.'"

Unfortunately, that's exactly my mental process when I play.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:19:05 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »
The Keys to Success for Tommy are Health and Head. I'm still not completely sold on his head. He's got to prove that he can stay focused throughout a match deep into a huge tournament. I didn't see that happen in Miami. After spanking Ferrer in the 1st set of their SF match, he effing went off the rails again. It's one thing to lose a set, it's another thing to lose your focus and not be able to regroup for 20 minutes. He pulled it together at the start of the 3rd set, but the mental seal had broken by then. It was easy for Ferrer to take control of the match. Tommy can give away sets to the likes of John Isner in a 3R match, but not to the likes of David Ferrer in the semis of a big tournament, and there's a huge drop off from the Top 4 to Ferrer.

Love Tommy, his variety, and as Luggernaut said, joy for the game. But he reminds me so much of my other favorite, old-Marat. Too many self-inflicted wounds.

Interesting look into the mind of Tommy Haas in his own words. He's in studio with ESPN right now discussing Isner match.

"I've had more chances, I deserve to win."

"Then I DF on MP and I'm in the 5th set and I'm thinking, 'Well, maybe I don't deserve to win.'"

Unfortunately, that's exactly my mental process when I play.

Haas should stop thinking about what he deserves and concentrate on the point.
Easier said then done.

At least he's truthful but saying it gives opponents something to hope for, not good.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »
Haasi is so cute here. It's killing me  :rofl_2:
Tommy Haas talking to himself

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
That's my Tommy!! The great German philosopher of our time. That was awesome, Alex. Thanks for posting.

:rofl_2:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:25:47 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »
go tommy. show those youngsters how to play.

this is your moment mate. snatch it.

:)>>>> :)>>>>

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »
As I said, that video never gets old.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
 :)) :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God