Author Topic: Wimbledon 2013 Sidewalk Cafe Chats  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Wimbledon 2013 Sidewalk Cafe Chats
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »
lets get this party started. who is ready to rumble on grass?

who are you installing as the early favorites at Wimbledon?

some good news today: andy murray is back at queens next week.

let the good times roll.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
Re: Wimbledon 2013 Sidewalk Cafe Chats
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Who all is playing Halle this year? I know Fed usually does, and I know Nadal is. What about Djoker? Odd that Murray's hiding from the big guns at Queens...

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »
Who all is playing Halle this year? I know Fed usually does, and I know Nadal is. What about Djoker? Odd that Murray's hiding from the big guns at Queens...
after Nole wins RG he'll win Wimbledon and the USO too. yeah  ... don't hate me because I'm beautiful   :gleam:

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 03:31:12 AM »
No1e will play the Boodles exhibition again to practice on grass.  That's it...as far as I know.

"BREAKING NEWS: Novak Djokovic PLUS Berdych, Del Potro, Gasquet & Cilic confirmed at The Boodles 2013"
source

Respectfully,
masteclass

Legends of Tennis

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:46:10 AM »
after Nole wins RG he'll win Wimbledon and the USO too. yeah  ... don't hate me because I'm beautiful   :gleam:

lulz  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
i wish the real Nole could read this  :)) :))

I forgot Nadal chose to play halle this year..Halle looks good..fed, rafa, berdych, haas :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 05:11:43 AM »

Halle has a good quality field for a 250 event - Player List (I think Seppi has pulled out).  Looks like they may be gunning to make it a bigger event.

The "grass season" is a joke now, it needs one Masters at least, plus about 2 more tournaments and why not something even bigger.

Like I've said elsewhere, they should make Miami clay, and move and move/upgrade Indian Wells into the grass season. Ellison has the money to convert to grass, especially if the motivation is there.  No need for back to back slow hard court Masters in the middle of the clay season. Start the clay season with South American Clay (Chile, Argentina, Brazil), onwards to Central America (Acapulco), then to the US (Houston and make Miami clay), then finally go to the European Clay culminating with Roland Garros.

Then on to the grass in Europe (Queens, Halle, etc).  After Wimbledon, come back to the US and play Newport, then restore to the tour, the beautiful and historical (since 1878) Longwood Cricket Club in Boston on grass and make it a Masters 1000 event, and then make the converted to grass Indian Wells the new location of the US Open, taking it out of rainy Flushing Meadows - Queens New York once and for all. They can continue to have a tournament there, or convert Flushing Meadows to condominiums or something.  Then play the other outdoor hard tourneys (Canada, Cincinnati, etc.) in North America followed by the indoor hard in the fall.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:44 AM »

I forgot Nadal chose to play halle this year..Halle looks good..fed, rafa, berdych, haas :)
Ash, I'm trying so hard to troll here hoping we'll attract new members. too bad nobody is buying it so far  :))

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 05:54:04 AM »

Ash, I'm trying so hard to troll here hoping we'll attract new members. too bad nobody is buying it so far  :))

Alex, must try harder, must try harder : :fishie:   

Do you like my suggestion to turn Flushing Meadows - Billie Jean King Tennis center into condominiums, and Arthur Ashe Stadium can be a big shopping mall? :)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:07:14 AM »
what a strong field halle has this year.

wow. roger should be the favorite there. he will have some extra time on grass and he will be well rested.

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »

Alex, must try harder, must try harder : :fishie:   

Do you like my suggestion to turn Flushing Meadows - Billie Jean King Tennis center into condominiums, and Arthur Ashe Stadium can be a big shopping mall? :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

As a roof would be too heavy for Ashe, it would sink as a shopping mall if it had any visitors.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
I have a great feeling about Wimbledon this year  :)) :)) :))
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »

Halle has a good quality field for a 250 event - Player List (I think Seppi has pulled out).  Looks like they may be gunning to make it a bigger event.

The "grass season" is a joke now, it needs one Masters at least, plus about 2 more tournaments and why not something even bigger.

Like I've said elsewhere, they should make Miami clay, and move and move/upgrade Indian Wells into the grass season. Ellison has the money to convert to grass, especially if the motivation is there.  No need for back to back slow hard court Masters in the middle of the clay season. Start the clay season with South American Clay (Chile, Argentina, Brazil), onwards to Central America (Acapulco), then to the US (Houston and make Miami clay), then finally go to the European Clay culminating with Roland Garros.

Then on to the grass in Europe (Queens, Halle, etc).  After Wimbledon, come back to the US and play Newport, then restore to the tour, the beautiful and historical (since 1878) Longwood Cricket Club in Boston on grass and make it a Masters 1000 event, and then make the converted to grass Indian Wells the new location of the US Open, taking it out of rainy Flushing Meadows - Queens New York once and for all. They can continue to have a tournament there, or convert Flushing Meadows to condominiums or something.  Then play the other outdoor hard tourneys (Canada, Cincinnati, etc.) in North America followed by the indoor hard in the fall.

Respectfully,
masterclass

I like all of this except the last part. I would love a few grass court Master's, but I'd say instead of moving the USO to Indian Wells, go to Indian Wells (now grass) after Boston, then go on as the season already is, converting to HC leading up to the USO.

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
Longer grass season.......hells yeah!!!!!
Post-wimbledon  grass tournament   .... no way
Got to follow the sequence 250  -500  masters 1000  and  a grand slam to conclude the season

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
That would involve moving the dates of slams around in a big way to make a lot more time inbetween RG and Wimbledon. I don't see that happening. I'd say having a longer grass season after Wimbledon would be more likely.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
I don't care if its pre or post Wimbly events. We need MORE grass events.
Halle and Queens are both too good to be only 250, especially Halle with roofs and top players.

+ I want at least 1 masters on grass!
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
Yeah, Halle and Queens definitely have enough money and exposure to be upped to 500. They're the only two grass events to practice before Wimbledon, so all the big players play there. It's just unfortunate they're both at the same time, so they kind of have to split the exposure. Still, though, they both have enough to be upgraded. And then there should be at least one grass Master's after Wimbledon. I've said it before. There's 3 clay Master's and 6 HC Master's. Hard Court is way too destructive, and yet they're by far the most common surface in the year. A few HC Master's could stand to be changed to grass.

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
Yeah, Halle and Queens definitely have enough money and exposure to be upped to 500. They're the only two grass events to practice before Wimbledon, so all the big players play there. It's just unfortunate they're both at the same time, so they kind of have to split the exposure. Still, though, they both have enough to be upgraded. And then there should be at least one grass Master's after Wimbledon. I've said it before. There's 3 clay Master's and 6 HC Master's. Hard Court is way too destructive, and yet they're by far the most common surface in the year. A few HC Master's could stand to be changed to grass.

I don't think hard courts are destructive, hardly anyone gets injuries from them.
Nadal has had knee problems after/during natural court season is one fact pointing in that direction.

On clay you lose control of footing easier and put undue stress on joints, tendons and ligaments because of unusual positions you end up in.
You end up in awkward positions because the sliding isn't uniform and surface isn't even.

After all these years of HC very few have had physical problems from that surface, the footing is secure and controlled.
This prevents many from getting in unacustomed positions.

Clay won't help your game any more than other surfaces.
Look at the clay court greats, few of them gained much benefit that could be translated to other surfaces.

The best surface to improve your game is HC, you get uniform bounces and repetition of the same type bounces gives better practice.

That is probably one of the reasons why Nadal himself has a HC.  :king:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:22:07 PM by swish »

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »

I think they aren't too willing to get upgraded. They draw big names without the 500 series' prize money. Players don't come there to get money and points but to get preparation for Wimbledon.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »
I have a great feeling about Wimbledon this year  :)) :)) :))

:gleam: :gleam:

:)) :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

excellent post.

:)) :))