Author Topic: Wimbledon 2013 Sidewalk Cafe Chats  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: Wimbledon 2013 Sidewalk Cafe Chats
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »
here are my Wimbledon favorites:

1. roger
2. murray
3. clay warrior
4. tsonga
5. nole

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »
I dunno. I don't think Fed's looked good enough recently to merit being the favorite at Wimbledon.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
he is defending his crown. I think he will get it together.

:)) :))

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
Hopefully. It'd be nice to see a semi between him and Djoker with him playing well. The match against Tsonga was just sad to watch.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
I see you finally decided on a cool sig.

it only took you 30 years to decide on a sig.

how many more years before you decide on a cool avi now?

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 04:43:52 AM »
haha I had a good friend make it for me. Should only be another 3 or 4 years til I get an avi   :)~

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Wimbledon 2013 Sidewalk Cafe Chats
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
Who all is playing Halle this year? I know Fed usually does, and I know Nadal is. What about Djoker? Odd that Murray's hiding from the big guns at Queens...

then make the converted to grass Indian Wells the new location of the US Open, taking it out of rainy Flushing Meadows - Queens New York once and for all.

You we're doing so well. I thought this was a serious post.

:laugh-bounce:

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »
A new factor to add. Nadal has shown serves comparable to 2010 Nadal. That will certainly help in Wimbledon!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
I dunno. I don't think Fed's looked good enough recently to merit being the favorite at Wimbledon.

Agreed. Hasn't looked good this year at all and no titles.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
Re: Re: Wimbledon 2013 Sidewalk Cafe Chats
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »
Who all is playing Halle this year? I know Fed usually does, and I know Nadal is. What about Djoker? Odd that Murray's hiding from the big guns at Queens...

then make the converted to grass Indian Wells the new location of the US Open, taking it out of rainy Flushing Meadows - Queens New York once and for all.

You we're doing so well. I thought this was a serious post.

:laugh-bounce:

Mostly Very Serious.  It's geographically-travel and surface order correct.  1 HC major - AO, 1 Clay major - RG, 2 Grass court majors - Wimbledon and the US Open.  This is/was the sport of Lawn Tennis, after all. Now it is overwhelmed by acrylic concrete and dirt supposedly due to maintenance costs. Don't worry, they can afford to put in and take care of grass courts today with the advances in turf-course agronomy. What is a golf course made of? Rocks?

I've never liked New York and USTA decisions since they tore up the Forest Hills grass and made it Har-Tru clay, then finally abandoning it for Flushing Meadows and hard courts, putting in that monolith of a stadium that can't support a roof, spending money on various trivialities.  It's time for a major change in USA tennis.  And Larry Ellison has enough money, the will, and power to do it.  He wants Indian Wells to be a major - now is his chance.

Another day or two of rain delays or tornadoes in New York should do the trick.  Do you want to keep seeing those little US Open version of the Zamboni ice re-surfacer trucks furiously trying to squeegee the water off Center Court and an army of chambermaids desperately wiping the courts with hi-tech towels to soak up the water seeping through the courts, while players like Andy Roddick rant on? 

Let Sunny California have a chance.  But no deal unless they change it to grass. :)

And I predict the Australian Open will soon be an indoor tournament due to excessive heat and increased ultraviolet radiation and risk of melanoma because of the depleted ozone layer down under.  They are preparing for it.  Another roofed stadium (Margaret Court Arena) and an additional 8 indoor courts planned by 2015 should do the trick. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Legends of Tennis

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »
roger will be in the final at Wimbledon if the draw is just right.

he needs nole in his 1/2. I think roger can get on a roll on grass.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 03:44:43 AM »
Great thread general Hercules.

My question to all:
Who are your dark horses for Wimbledon?
My definition of dark horses is: players that may not win it all, but will upset one or more players and make a good run.

I'll start with an obvious player - Jerzy Janowicz.  I think grass was made for this guy, with his prodigious serving, big forehands, drop shots.

Last year he played 6 rounds since he had to qualify and beat talented but mercurial Ernests Gulbis, coming from 2 sets to 1 down in a thrilling 5 sets - winning the 4 set tiebreaker and 9-7 in the fifth.  After this, he lost in 5 sets in the 3rd round (R32) to Florian Mayer as it looked like he finally ran out of gas.

This year he won't have to qualify and is seeded.  If he gets a good draw (some clay courters), I think he can make a good run and maybe even take out a top 10 player or 2.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Legends of Tennis

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 03:46:22 AM »

Murray will be hiding from know one,come to think of it Nadal use to play Queens :rofl_2:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 03:54:29 AM »
roger will be in the final at Wimbledon if the draw is just right.

he needs nole in his 1/2. I think roger can get on a roll on grass.

Hi Hurc,if the big 4 made it to the SF's,who would you think Roger would have the best chance to beat on grass?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 08:12:01 AM »
good to see you general sid.

I think murray---for his best chances--- needs nole in his 1/2. and then murray just has to serve very big and play lights out tennis in the semis.

what is your own take on this?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »
thanks general masterclass.

my dark horses for Wimbledon:

1. jerzy
2. berdych

3. tsonga. maybe he will surprise us all.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 09:41:49 AM »
dark horses:
Dimitrov
Janowicz
Haas
Gulbis
Tsonga
Berdych
Kohlschreiber
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

My question to all:
My definition of dark horses is: players that may not win it all, but will upset one or more players and make a good run.

I'll start with an obvious player - Jerzy Janowicz.  I think grass was made for this guy, with his prodigious serving, big forehands, drop shots.

Last year he played 6 rounds since he had to qualify and beat talented but mercurial Ernests Gulbis, coming from 2 sets to 1 down in a thrilling 5 sets - winning the 4 set tiebreaker and 9-7 in the fifth.  After this, he lost in 5 sets in the 3rd round (R32) to Florian Mayer as it looked like he finally ran out of gas.

This year he won't have to qualify and is seeded.  If he gets a good draw (some clay courters), I think he can make a good run and maybe even take out a top 10 player or 2.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Jerzy's play is benefited by grass, but he also has the same problem as people like Isner and Del Po whose playing styles also would fit grass. He's very tall, which is brought out as a weakness on grass due to the low bounces. A lot of bending/crouching to get lower balls, which wears him out quicker.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »

My question to all:

Respectfully,
masterclass

Jerzy's play is benefited by grass, but he also has the same problem as people like Isner and Del Po whose playing styles also would fit grass. He's very tall, which is brought out as a weakness on grass due to the low bounces. A lot of bending/crouching to get lower balls, which wears him out quicker.

True, and this would be how I would play him (with variety), but according to my observations, I rate his movement as better than any of the other big guys, Isner, Del Potro, Raonic by quite a margin and somewhat better than Berdych.
His height and wingspan and good movement can also be a great benefit to him, especially if he can cover the net.

But I need to watch him more closely on grass. Good footwork is at least as important as good movement on grass, especially fresh grass.  The players prone to slipping a lot are generally ones with poorer footwork, even if they have amazing lateral movement and court coverage.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
have to agree: jerzy moves great and he also plays close to the baseline.

that alone helps with the movement. if you can take the ball early, you can start to take some time away from your opponent.

weaker replies are easier to get to and to do something with.

jerzy has the ability to take the ball on the rise from either wing.

his serve also produces weak replies.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:15:28 PM by Clay Death »