Poll

Will Nadal draw Rosol at Wimbledon 2013?

Yes, and Rosol will win again
0 (0%)
Yes, and Nadal will avenge his loss
1 (20%)
Not likely, draws are completely random so remote chance
4 (80%)
No, the powers that be will not allow it to happen
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: June 20, 2013, 04:19:48 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Will Nadal draw Rosol at Wimbledon 2013?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
Poll: Will Nadal draw Rosol at Wimbledon 2013?
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:19:48 AM »
We've seen that some players seem to be destined to meet each other in some major tournaments, especially after a noteworthy event.
Most recently it was Isner and Mahut at Wimbledon 2011 after their once in a lifetime marathon event in 2010.

The monetary incentive for the tournament, media is obvious.

Do you think Lukas Rosol be drawn against Rafael Nadal?

Or will Don Tio Toni somehow prevent even the chance of it occurring?

If they are drawn against each other in an early round, whom do you think will win?

I am not the favorite, no?
I know how to beat the Spaniard

:)>>>>  ..-)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Legends of Tennis

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Poll: Will Nadal draw Rosol at Wimbledon 2013?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:30:40 AM »
I agree. The "randomness" of Isner drawing Mahut was total bulls**t.

I don't think it will happen again for a long, long time. I'm satisfied that the draw has been randomized again.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:32:52 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »
It doesn't really matter. I wish it did happen so Nadal can clean the floor with him but chances are the odds will prevent that.

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »
We've seen that some players seem to be destined to meet each other in some major tournaments, especially after a noteworthy event.
Most recently it was Isner and Mahut at Wimbledon 2011 after their once in a lifetime marathon event in 2010.

The monetary incentive for the tournament, media is obvious.

Do you think Lukas Rosol be drawn against Rafael Nadal?

Or will Don Tio Toni somehow prevent even the chance of it occurring?

If they are drawn against each other in an early round, whom do you think will win?

I am not the favorite, no?
I know how to beat the Spaniard

:)>>>>  ..-)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Isner and Mahut was CLEARLY rigged. 2010 1st round, 2011 1st round, and 2012 2nd round just to make it less suspicious (Isner lost early though).

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
I'd say after Nadal and Djoker ended up on the same half, people are more likely to believe draws aren't rigged again. I don't think they're rigged, so it's a small chance that they'll draw each other again. But I certainly hope so. It's the Soderling thing all over again. Soderling fluked a win over Nadal at the FO, so everyone thinks he's awesome. He thinks he actually got a win. So I was extremely pleased when they ended up playing in the Final, and Nadal showed Soderling how it was done. The only difference is that Soderling was actually decent. He continued doing well after he fluked over Nadal. Rosol hasn't done a dang thing since his fluke over Nadal.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
I agree with Rafa816. Nadal should have little to fear from Rosol. Or from, say, Ivan Dodig, who also beat him last time they met (not in a major, though). Such losses rarely start a trend.

If I was on the draw-rigging committee (trying to benefit the tournament) I'd place a Nadal - Rosol meet as a "teaser", something like a potential R3 matchup people could look forward to. Which most probably wouldn't happen as Rosol would lose in R1 or R2.

A Gulbis R1 would be the most challenging draw, I feel. For just about anyone.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:22:02 PM by Litotes »

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
Agreed. Kind of like how they were set up for a R3 (I think, maybe R2) meeting at the French but Rosol couldn't make it that far.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
I can't agree Rosol's done nothing since Wimbledon.

He recently won the title in Bucharest and beat some decent players.  He has also won some Davis Cup matches.
He was ranked 100 at Wimbledon 2012, and is now ranked 36, so his ranking has improved quite a bit.

It's true that he's done nothing big since upending Nadal, but that effort will probably be his lifetime achievement.

And I don't know if you can compare him to Soderling. Soderling was already 25th in the world at Roland Garros 2009.
Soderling's win definitely helped his confidence to go up another level - to top 10.  Well, he was ranked 12th after RG 2009.
So, it wasn't too much of a stretch for him to get in the next echelon.  The improve ranking also helped get him better draws.   

Rosol's ranking did not immediately jump up following Wimbledon.  It has gradually improved since then.

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:03:16 PM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
beating guys like nole, roger, or the clay warrior when they are injured or even completely spent from having dominated everywhere else is always an achievement of a lifetime for the lesser players. how else are they going to be able to beat them?

people just don't realize the effort involved in dominating the clay circuit.

ask guys like becker who could not win a single clay title as good as he was.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
rosol is still improving. his stock is on the rise.

that being said, I think gulbis and jerzy could be the most dangerous players in the very early rounds.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
Of course. Or not even as far back as Becker - look at Andy Murray..no titles on clay.
There are many players far less competent on clay relative their play elsewhere and to the better players on clay.
Sampras is another.  It makes sense. Clay diminishes their biggest weapons - big serve, volley, attacking style, etc. and usually requires a higher degree of endurance than they are used to needing. and different movement skills.

Defensive style players can stand back near the fence and wait for the ball to come down from its usually higher bounce and take advantage of the slower conditions by retrieving many balls, which frustrates the naturally attacking players who usually have much less patience.

Unless they can adapt by doing other things, they have a hard time against the better clay court players.
Different skill sets and mind set required. 

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »
rosol is still improving. his stock is on the rise.

that being said, I think gulbis and jerzy could be the most dangerous players in the very early rounds.

Agreed.  Hopefully they are not matched against each other...  :))

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
excellent thread general masterclass.

keep them coming.

:)) :))

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
Anybody can  lose to anybody on any given day, big 4 included. It's not very likely but it's possible. Any pro player can get hot for a day ... the problem is they are not consistent. Anyway, I don't think Rosol would beat Rafa again if they met at W. Rosol's form is very questionable.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
Agreed. Kind of like how they were set up for a R3 (I think, maybe R2) meeting at the French but Rosol couldn't make it that far.

I think Rosol has had is "day in the sun".  I don't think he'll ever play like he did in 2012 in that match again!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
You cannot compare Rosol's win over Nadal to Soderling's win over Nadal. Soderling was a legit top player who has pushed and beaten top players even before - he should have taken out Nadal at Wimbledon a few years back but lost in 5.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »
It doesn't really matter. I wish it did happen so Nadal can clean the floor with him but chances are the odds will prevent that.

Rosol has cleaned the floor with Nadal one time. It doesn't require another time as it has already made history. On the other hand, if Nadal cleans the floor with Rosol, no one will remember it. You understand?
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
Of course. Or not even as far back as Becker - look at Andy Murray..no titles on clay.
There are many players far less competent on clay relative their play elsewhere and to the better players on clay.
Sampras is another.  It makes sense. Clay diminishes their biggest weapons - big serve, volley, attacking style, etc. and usually requires a higher degree of endurance than they are used to needing. and different movement skills.

Defensive style players can stand back near the fence and wait for the ball to come down from its usually higher bounce and take advantage of the slower conditions by retrieving many balls, which frustrates the naturally attacking players who usually have much less patience.

Unless they can adapt by doing other things, they have a hard time against the better clay court players.

Respectfully,
masterclass

No it doesn't. Sampras designed his game based on grass and hard; he never cared about clay. Keep in mind, those who did well on clay, did terribly both on grass and hard. Most clay courters didn't even get past the 3 round of Wimbledon, USO and AO. in the 90s. Sampras has 3 titles on clay including Rome Masters and a very gutsy semi-final appearance in 2006 RG, where he beat one too many great clay players back to back. Please take your tinted glass off, masterclass. You are not seeing things properly. lol
You are everything I am not.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »

Rosol has cleaned the floor with Nadal one time. It doesn't require another time as it has already made history. On the other hand, if Nadal cleans the floor with Rosol, no one will remember it. You understand?

That's what he was saying. He wants Nadal to draw Rosol and clean the floor with him for revenge.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

No it doesn't. Sampras designed his game based on grass and hard; he never cared about clay. Keep in mind, those who did well on clay, did terribly both on grass and hard. Most clay courters didn't even get past the 3 round of Wimbledon, USO and AO. in the 90s. Sampras has 3 titles on clay including Rome Masters and a very gutsy semi-final appearance in 2006 RG, where he beat one too many great clay players back to back. Please take your tinted glass off, masterclass. You are not seeing things properly. lol

Oh yeah, I remember that 2006 Semi final at RG, Federer wiped the clay off the court with Pete  :rofl_2:
Sorry Emma, couldn't let an opportunity where you made a mistake about something pass by  :)~