Author Topic: 2013 Halle ATP 250 (June 10-16)  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2013 Halle ATP 250 (June 10-16)
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »
At this point in Rogers's career - any win is a good one. It doesn't matter who he "didn't" play. When Nadal came back this year in those small tournaments and won them, he was getting the needed "practice" on the clay. Roger was getting his needed practice on the grass. But because Roger had not won a title of anything this year, this title can only be good for his confidence. As was said earlier - Haas has been playing great this year and Youzhny was playing great in this tournament, so it's not like Roger didn't play anyone! Coming from clay to grass, anyone can lose early...look at Ferrer today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: 2013 Halle ATP 250 (June 10-16)
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »
At this point in Rogers's career - any win is a good one. It doesn't matter who he "didn't" play. When Nadal came back this year in those small tournaments and won them, he was getting the needed "practice" on the clay. Roger was getting his needed practice on the grass. But because Roger had not won a title of anything this year, this title can only be good for his confidence. As was said earlier - Haas has been playing great this year and Youzhny was playing great in this tournament, so it's not like Roger didn't play anyone! Coming from clay to grass, anyone can lose early...look at Ferrer today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree that any win is a good win. That's something someone like.. Donald Young should be saying. Roger's playing for history and has goals and priorities. It's fair to lower the expectations and say something like "making the semis of Rome is good enough practice for Roland Garros" or "anything past the Quarters at Roland Garros is a bonus", but to say any win is a good win is not being fair to Roger and what he himself is expecting and shooting for. When it comes to grass/Wimbledon, I believe the aim is to win the tournament. Anything short of that... well anything short of that and we can use the "any win is a good win" as consolation but truth of the matter is, anything but a Wimbledon win or at worst, a tightly contested Semi or final with other members of the big four, will be a let down for Roger. So my reaction to Roger's form and matches are always in that context. Saying any win is a good win is like me saying any day i'm alive is a good day cuz i could be dead. It's great in that i can never have a bad day but it's not the attitude i want if i want to make progress or have something to accomplish/achieve down the road

I agree with the rest of the statement. The practice was good practice and he won the tournament. Anything short of that would not have meant worse, the fact that he met expectations is good since he's not met expectations for a good chunk of this year (losses to Nishikori, Benneatu etc). And yeah, you could do worse in your prep for grass than playing Haas and Youzhny who are good players, are on good form, and have decent grass credentials, and as Litotes pointed out, Fed did lose to Haas last year and went on to win Wimbledon. So yeah, all in all it was a positive prep for Wimbledon, but I am still not sure it is a good enough indicator for what we are expecting - a win at Big W. He could have, in my opinion, done better even while winning Halle had he handled Haas and Youzhny with a little more ease.

Litotes - I think Rafa816 said everything I would have wanted to say. Nadal is the favourite against Roger, any surface, any time of the year. Last year's loss was an anomaly and unless it happens more often, that's not the norm. The norm is that since 2006, Nadal has made the finals 5 of the 6 years he's played, winning 2 of them. His history of "getting tired from playing so much" only starts AFTER the grass court season. He's also made the final of every tournament he's played this year, losing only to Djokovic once and a surprise loss to Zeballos in his first tournament back. i'm not sure if I'd go so far as to call him the favourite to win the tournament but he's anything but vulnerable and anything short of losing to Novak will be an upset given his current form and the matchup advantage/h2h with Federer, Murray and the rest of the field. Most vulnerable of the big four in my opinion is a toss up between Federer and Murray - somewhat funny considering those two won the only two big grass court lead up tournaments. Murray because he seems to be having back issues and his game typically doesn't demonstrate his finishing-power which is most critical on grass. But he seems to have been working on his game based on his wins over Djokovic and Federer in the Olympics last year. And Federer purely because of age and lack of consistent high level play during matches.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: 2013 Halle ATP 250 (June 10-16)
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:03 AM »
 :scared:Holy Crap Professor! :scared:

Keep up with posts of that caliber and Mertov may offer you a position at his desk. :)
CONK da ball!!!