Author Topic: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7  (Read 18524 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:12 AM »
Steve Darcis beats Rafael Nadal @ 1st Round | Wimbledon 2013

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
42 year old Kimiko Date Krumm wins her first match 6-0 6-2.  :)  :rofl_2:WTA :rofl_2:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
Emma what got into you? Did Devil take your soul ? how dare you posting pics of All Mighty Fed, you sinner  :hell-no:. I'll pray for you tonight  :innocent:

Oh, you don't remember? Federer said he laughed about 10 minutes after witnessing Rosol taking Nadal out of Wimbledon last year.

I assumed he's laughing again as he's probably finding it very amusing again but more so, his path to semi-final has opened up in a big way. In fact, he doesn't have any dangerous player to stop him until then.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »
My strong opinion is that Rafa should have played a warmup tournament on grass before W (Hale). big mistake.

Not really because he did play Halle last year and still got ousted in the 2nd round by Rosol at Wimbledon. He's not a natural grass court player like Federer, Murray etc. and he does play a lot during the clay season and tend to win majority of the tournaments. He needs significant gap between the two Majors and needs to play at least a few matches on grass to adjust the tranisition. Last year, in Halle, he was able to play only one match against Lacko and won that one, but got beaten in the next round. Clearly that wasn't enough.

Worth mentioning at this point that, this is precisely the reason why Sampras was never keen on the clay season as grass was always his favourite surface and he just loved Wimbledon. He knew if he were to give his best effort on clay - RG in particular - Wimbledon would be compromised a great deal. And he couldn't afford it. Besides, his game was more modeled towards faster surfaces than clay as there were a lot of tournaments played on carpet as well. And the difference between the surfaces especially back in those days were huge. Night and day in fact. Nadal should be happy that he has at least a couple of Wimbledon under his belt. I don't think he would gotten past the 3rd round in the 90s at Wimbledon. And WTF would have always been out of the question.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
I would like to see Jerzy vs Federer on grass.

It seems like it would be good but I think Fed has too much variety.

Jerzy looked very good in his first round match, this time last year he was mostly unknown.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
Del Potro is about to wrap things up against Ramos.
Djokovic is cruising.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/index.html

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
My strong opinion is that Rafa should have played a warmup tournament on grass before W (Hale). big mistake.

True.

He put himself in a jam, played too much so needed rest but also needed a warmup.

He could have played a few rounds and then tank, that may have worked.

Did he ever skip the warmup event before?

2007 he played Queens, reached the Final of W
2008 he played Queens, won W
2009 didn't play on grass at all
2010 he played Queens, won W
2011 he played Queens, reached the Final of W
2012 he played Hale, lost in R2 at W
2013 no warmup tournament, lost in R1 at W

so, you, see the pattern.  every time he played a warmup tournament on grass (except last year), he reached the final or won Wimbledon (since 2007)

Bjorn Borg:

1974: RG - W, Nottingham - R32, Wimbledon - R32
1975: RG - W, Wimbledon - QF
1976: RG - QF, Wimbledon - W
1977: RG - Absent, Wimbledon - W  (last tourney prior to Wimby on April 18 in Denver, winning on carpet, RG locked Borg out due to WTT contract)
1978: RG - W, Wimbledon - W
1979: RG - W, Wimbledon - W
1980: RG - W, Davis Cup SWE vs GER (Clay) - W(2), Wimbledon - W

1981: RG - W, Wimbledon - F
1982: Skipped all majors because of ITF rules regarding minimum tournament play to avoid qualification rounds.
Those that doubt his ability and mental fortitude vs. McEnroe following the 81 Wimbledon and US Open losses,  need to look at this video of Borg vs. McEnroe in Sydney on carpet at the November 1982 AKAI Gold Challenge round robin where he beat McEnroe in 4 sets, and trounced soon to be #1 Lendl in 3 sets in a last great performance prior to his retirement the following January.

Watch the whole McEnroe-Borg match (this part plus parts 2 and 3) on YouTube. The darkness of the video is to contrast the ball better.

1983: Retired

Borg never needed any warmup grass events to win Wimbledon, relying on his pure talent, incredible speed and adaptability.
3 straight Channel Slams - lost to McEnroe in 1981 in bid for 4th straight Channel Slam and 6 straight Wimbledons.

Likely he would have won another channel slam had he been allowed to play at RG in 1977.  Vilas won it that year, and Borg beat Vilas in two clay matches prior to that RG and clobbered Vilas the following year at RG 1978, 1, 1, and 3.

Bjorn Borg: Excellent on all surfaces and very high up on my list of the greatest players in the history of tennis. Watching him play in those days with his modified Donnay Allwood extended grip racquet strung at an incredible 80 lbs. was an amazing experience

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »

Jerzy looked very good in his first round match, this time last year he was mostly unknown.

Jerzy can be danger as ball bouncing higher in round 4. However, block back return may kill Jerzy.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
Easy win for Djokovic. He was solid, nothing special. Mayer was kinda uninspired and flat. I expected more from him.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
Ferrer hit the ground hard twice. People are dropping (literally) like flies.

Grasscourt tennis isn't meant to be played behind the baseline...
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »

the game has changed old sport. they are the ones who are trying to make a living doing this.

I think they know what they are doing far batter than we do.

you cant volley what you cant see. did you forget that they are hitting the ball at near 100 MPH with a lot of spin?

you pretty much have to guess at the baseline, let alone at the net.

you can only go in on your own terms. and you can go in once in a while as an element of surprise.

of course any fool can go in on nadal since he has no return at all.

accept the reality once and for all: the war on the court simply must be waged from the baseline no matter what surface they play on.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:26:09 PM by Clay Death »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »
Dimitrov and Raonic both have relatively soft paths to the Semis if they want a breakthrough performance.

Raonic should have no troubles till R4 where he could run into Ferrer who should be beatable if Raonic intends to be a Wimbledon winner at some point. And that'll get him into the Quarters where he could run into Del Potro, Nishikori, or Dimitrov

Dimitrov has a harder task ahead, potential R3 with Del Potro and R4 with Nishikori. Actually, that's a LOT tougher than Raonic's task of taking down Ferrer but Dimitrov has also made some bold strides this year, Del Potro can be vulnerable on grass and Nishikori .. well Nishikori is having a great year as well, but in my eyes both are susceptible to defeats against good grass court tennis, which I'm hoping Dimitrov can bring.

So a potential Raonic/Ferrer vs. Delpo/Nishikori/Dimitrov quarter-final .. that's a good 40% odds of one of the two young guns making the Semis this year.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
Pawan, that's a pretty good assessment. I agree 100%. I hope to see Raonic going far. He played well today.

I'm looking forward to the Blake/Tomic match. It should be really interesting. Hoping that a grandpa will spank a young brat.  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »

the game has changed old sport. they are the ones who are trying to make a living doing this.

you cant volley what you cant see. did you forget that they are hitting the ball at near 100 MPH with a lot of spin?

you can only go in on your own terms. and you can go in once in a while as an element of surprise.

accept the reality once and for all: the war on the court simply must be waged from the baseline no matter what surface they play on.

If it's a matter of player safety, we could see a change. Raonic ended his season a couple of years back with a slip and Monfils won't play. Too dangerous for him. Ferrer rolled around like Azarenka twice. I'd like to know why the 3 retired today. Oprandi was crying clutching her hand. I don't know if she broke a fall. An unusual injury.

It's just too damn dangerous to run side to side and change direction. It happens every year now-Wimbledon's dirty little secret. If they have a special formula to favor grass court players, they might as well return it to a surface that favors 3 people.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:28:14 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »

It will be a very hard task for JJ to take Federer out in the 4th round. He doesn't think so his strategy would be to blow Federer off the court but how long he will be able to keep it up, that is the big question. Federer might just want to hang in there until JJ cools off.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
Re: Re: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »

If it's a matter of player safety, we could see a change. Raonic ended his season a couple of years back with a slip and Monfils won't play. Too dangerous for him. Ferrer rolled around like Azarenka twice. I'd like to know why the 3 retired today. Oprandi was crying clutching her hand. I don't know if she broke a fall. An unusual injury.

It's just too damn dangerous to run side to side and change direction. It happens every year now-Wimbledon's dirty little secret. If they have a special formula to favor grass court players, they might as well return it to a surface that favors 3 people.

in the old days they had no choice but to run to the net. the grass was horrible and the bounces were erratic and inconsistent. it was simply a terrible experience trying to wage war from the baseline for those who had great strokes off both wings.

and then the big servers came into the game and the game became less popular. nobody gave a damn about serving expeditions. that is when they truied to slow the grass a little bit.

but make no mistake about it. grass is still grass. it just happens that is a little bit faster and slicker the first week.

if the modern grass was really clay--like a lot of fools claim--- then nadal would have never lost here.
he would be 5-0 at the wimby finals just like he is 8-0 at RG finals.

big serve comes in mighty handy on grass. all these guys with big serves and little of anything else tend to win a few matches here while they cant even get into a main draw at big masters series clay events and the RG.

only thing that needs to change is the time allowed for adjustment for grass after the clay season. the damn surface will always be too slippery the first week at Wimbledon and even the 2nd week if there is a lot of moisture and humidity in the air.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
Pawan, that's a pretty good assessment. I agree 100%. I hope to see Raonic going far. He played well today.

I'm looking forward to the Blake/Tomic match. It should be really interesting. Hoping that a grandpa will spank a young brat.  :)

Me too!  Go Blake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope he can get some of that 'magic' back for this one match.  I can't stand Tomic!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »

Me too!  Go Blake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope he can get some of that 'magic' back for this one match.  I can't stand Tomic!

Count me in as well. Blake is one of my favourite players to watch and while Tomic's tennis is .. amusing, he annoys me a bit. So GO BLAKE! I'm kinda upset that Sam lost in the first place  :Confused:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »
Order of play, June 25th
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/index.html

It's interesting that they put Murray/Lu on court 1. I thought Murray would be on CC for sure. However, the Tsonga/Gulbis match  deserves to be on CC. I expect lots of drama in that match.