Author Topic: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7  (Read 21963 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7
« Reply #1080 on: July 08, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
Nah this time I knew he was sarcastic, I just wanted to prove his point  ;-()
That's like a double whammy on me then...... :mad1: :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1081 on: July 08, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
Djokovic 40 UEs in 3 sets on grass?!??!!?

Never!

Never ever!

Impossible!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
yup, that's what decided the match. Nole had a day off. I can't remember him being so poor in a slam final. I can't remember but I think he hit 41 UE and only 30 winners or something like that. I'm too lazy to check out stats and it doesn't really matter. horrible performance.

Yup going with bitter Alex & it's your round mate,that's what i drink   :drinks:
cheers

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #1082 on: July 09, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »
Nah this time I knew he was sarcastic, I just wanted to prove his point  ;-()
That's like a double whammy on me then...... :mad1: :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: you two are crazy. the good kind  :))

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1083 on: July 10, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
I found a really nice analysis of the match and here it is. This sums up most things regarding the final.

----------------------------

It amazes me how many people here seem to think that that guys can just play tennis independently of the person across the net from them.

Djokovic was no doubt sub-par today, but much of that was clearly because of Murray. Andy minimized Djokovic's reaction time by playing up on the ball so often. He mixed up spins and pace, which (congruent with his AO performance) Djokovic handled better than he used to, but still can't really overcome. He played great defense and shrunk the court for Novak. And he thumped big serves and forehands whenever he could to impose an even greater sense of urgency on his opponent.

Novak was left scrambling for options; he was pressed: pressed to act, and pressed to end points by going for broke too soon. Of course Djokovic was going to look sloppy.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, too, was how well Andy went behind Novak. He exploited Nole's movement on the surface by moving him around the court, trapping him in a corner, and going behind him when Djokovic would begin shifting toward the open court. This facet of Novak's game has never stopped being an issue for him (see v. Hewitt @ Olympics last year, v. Del Potro this year), and Murray was smart enough to expose it.

The last thing I'll say is this performance made me wonder why Murray's transition from defense-to-offense is never discussed. His rivals get praised for it endlessly, and deservedly so, but Andy proved himself fantastically capable of it as well. So many times Djokovic hooked him to troubling areas of the court, if not by a knee-jerk drop shot then by a heavy, angled forehand out-wide. But so often Murray was able to quickly jump on it and loop a forehand deep cross court, slam one up the line, or cut a deep slice and totally shift the dynamics of the point. His ability to play defense with interest was a huge asset today.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1084 on: July 10, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
Emma, Emma, you have no clue. Stop embarrassing yourself with your 'tennis knowledge'. Go get a new pair of shoes at Walmart or Zelers. you'll feel better.

'Murray came behind Novak, uh, oh'... I stopped reading after this ... silly, silly, stupid  :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:33:15 PM by Alex »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #1085 on: July 10, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
Congratulations to Murray for this historic Wimbledon win.  It was no doubt a big enough challenge to face the best player in the world in this final, without carrying the hopes & expectations of the nation too. And he faced up to that challenge with enormous courage and determination, remaining focused and single minded enough to take the title in straight sets.
In being the first British player to win Wimbledon in 77 years, Murray has given British tennis a huge boost. Very well done to him.

Djokovic played a long & gruelling SF against Del Potro. No matter how great a champion he is, the energy he spent in getting through to the final must have taken its toll & he simply could not find his momentum in this match, particularly against a focused & incisive Murray.

The whole field was here, and yet, the numbers one & two were the finalists, justifying their ranking as the best 2 players in the world. It was their 3rd GS final in the last 12 months & Murray holds 2 of the titles.   Excellent stuff.  I'd be surprise to see anything other than another Murray / Djokovic final at the USO.

Congratulations too to the Bryan twins for their historic win. They now hold all 4 GS titles - a record in the open era.  Quite outstanding.

Whilst it was reasonably predictable that one of the top two men & the top men's doubles players would win,  the women's results were a surprise.  I like Lisicki & supported her for the title, but am pleased that Bartoli could win her first Wimbledon / GS title.  And the doubles winners, Hsieh / Peng won their first GS too. 

Goodbye Wimbledon 2013.     
Carpe Diem

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1086 on: July 10, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
I like your post but I disagree with the below. Please keep in mind that Murray too had a 5 setter in the qtr. In fact, he was 2 sets down to a very dangerous player like Verdasco who looked to be quite in form and was ruthless and was playing with a lot of freedom. Murray also had another 4 setter against a big server like Janowicz who was the red hot player according to many and had no fear or at least had nothing at stakes, unlike Murray who was playing with a lot of pressure from the home crowd. On top of that, Nole has a history of playing back to back long matches basically everywhere. There was never any question re: his fitness - not lately anyway.

I should also point out that Murray is literally the 3rd best grasscourt player on tour behind Federer and Hewitt with 71 winning matches on grass (probably 72 now with the last winning match) and we all know Murray is also quite a few years younger than both Federer and Hewitt. So Murray IS the better player on grass and it's not a big surprise that he beat Nole in straight sets. Keep in mind that Nole also took a straight sets loss to Murray at the Olympics semi-final just last year on grass. So rest assured, once all is said and done, Murray will have a much better record on grass than Nole which it is already. So in short, Nole's loss has nothing to do with him being tired but mostly due to the fact that, Murray is a superior player on grass, just like Nole is over Murray on clay.

Djokovic played a long & gruelling SF against Del Potro. No matter how great a champion he is, the energy he spent in getting through to the final must have taken its toll & he simply could not find his momentum in this match, particularly against a focused & incisive Murray.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1087 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
ESPN's Wimbledon tennis coverage nets strong ratings
By Meg James
July 8, 2013, 4:46 p.m.

ESPN's gamble to serve more tennis appears to be paying off as the sports network said last weekend's Wimbledon championship matches produced some of the highest ratings for tennis in ESPN's 33-year history.

Last year, ESPN began providing TV coverage of the final weekend of the storied London tennis tournament, replacing incumbent NBC.

The peacock network had broadcast Wimbledon championship matches for more than 40 years but the All England Lawn Tennis Club showed NBC its backhand after the 2011 tournament. The group opted to instead sign a 12-year pact with ESPN after it grew increasingly frustrated by NBC's preemptions during key matches that angered U.S. tennis fans.

Sunday's Gentlemenís Championship, which saw Andy Murray of Scotland become the first male champion from Britain in 77 years, generated the second-largest audience for tennis in ESPN's history.

Nearly 2.5 million people watched ESPN's coverage of the tense, three-set duel in which Murray defeated No. 1 ranked Novak Djokovic of Serbia. (ABC rebroadcast the match later Sunday, but ABC's audience totals will not be available until later in the week.)

Sunday's audience on ESPN, however, fell well short of last year's performance when 3.9 million viewers in the U.S. watched Roger Federer of Switzerland vanquish Murray to claim his seventh Wimbledon title after a drama that lasted four sets.(another Murray match)

On Saturday, ESPN's telecast of the Ladiesí Championship, in which Marion Bartoli of France won her first major title by beating No. 23 ranked Sabine Lisicki of Germany, along with the Gentlemen's Doubles Championship, in which American brothers Bob and Mike Bryan captured their 15th major title, attracted more than 1.3 million viewers.

The Saturday double-header ranked as the fifth-most watched tennis event ever on ESPN, which is owned by Walt Disney Co. and Hearst Corp.  In addition, ESPN said that usage of its WatchESPN mobile application increased nearly fourfold from last year's tournament.

ESPN has been making a sizable investment on tennis. Although the audiences are much smaller than for basketball or professional football, tennis attracts affluent viewers that luxury brands, including Rolex and Mercedes Benz, pay a premium to reach.

ESPN also has been paying big money to lock up the rights to several marquee sports properties to fend off emerging competitors, including the Fox Sports national cable channels, scheduled to launch next month, and the recently rebranded NBC Sports Network.

In May, ESPN clinched an 11-year deal with the United States Tennis Assn. for the exclusive TV rights to the U.S. Open tennis tournament beginning in 2015.

ESPN paid close to $75 million annually for the U.S. Open rights, a steep increase from what the USTA has been receiving in its current deal with CBS. The switch to ESPN is expected to end CBS' 45-year streak of broadcasting the U.S. Open.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-espns-wimbledon-tennis-coverage-nets-big-ratings-20130708,0,6877153.story

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1088 on: July 10, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »
[07/08/13 - 02:13 PM]
Wimbledon Provides Thrills, History & Two of ESPN's Largest Tennis Audiences
ESPN spins the numbers for Saturday, July 6 and Sunday, July 7.

[via press release from ESPN]
Wimbledon Provides Thrills, History & Two of ESPN's Largest Tennis Audiences
Murray's Triumph -- ESPN's Second Biggest Tennis Audience Ever
WatchESPN App Usage Nearly Quadruples

The 2013 fortnight of The Championships, Wimbledon thrilled tennis fans with surprises and an historic ending and it provided two of ESPN's biggest five audiences for tennis in its 33+ years.  In addition, the WatchESPN app saw its usage rise for the event by nearly four-fold.

The Gentlemen's Championship saw No. 2 Andy Murray of Scotland end Great Britain's 77-year drought, in a straight-sets triumph over No. 1 Novak Djokovic. ESPN's telecast drew a 1.7 Fast National US rating, according to Nielsen.  That represents an average of 1,894,000 homes and 2,456,000 viewers (P2+), the second largest audience in ESPN tennis history, behind only last year's Gentlemen's Championship (2,876,000 households and 3,925,000 viewers).  The rating for Sunday's final peaked at a 2.8 for the final 30 minutes of the telecast (12-12:30 p.m. ET). Last year's four-set match between Roger Federer and Murray peaked at 4.1 for the half hour starting at 1 p.m.  The match ended at 2:15 p.m.

In addition, Saturday's telecast of the Ladies' Championship - No. 15 Marion Bartoli winning her first major title over No. 23 Sabine Lisicki 6-1, 6-4 - plus the Gentlemen's Doubles Championship - American's Bob and Mike Bryan winning their 15th major and third in a row - drew a 0.9 US rating for the five-hour telecast.  The average audience of 1,061,000 homes and 1,302,000 viewers is the fifth best in ESPN tennis history.  ESPN's biggest five tennis audiences are all from the last two Wimbledon events:

Date   Event (all Wimbledon)   HH imps   US Rating
 Sun, July 8, 2012   Gentlemen's Championship   2,876,000   2.5
 Sun, July 7, 2013   Gentlemen's Championship    1,894,000   1.7
 Sat, July 7, 2012   Ladies' Championship
 Gentlemen's Doubles Championship
 Ladies' Doubles Championship   1,373,000   1.2
 Fri, July 6, 2012   Gentlemen's Semifinals   1,298,000   1.1
 Sat, July 6, 2013   Ladies' Championship
 Gentlemens' Doubles Championship   1,061,000   0.9

Wimbledon Scores on ESPN Digital Platforms
Digital consumption of ESPN content continues to grow strongly, and Wimbledon was no exception.  For WatchESPN and ESPN3, the strongest day of the tournament was Friday, July 5, logging 16 million live minutes viewed across computers, smartphones, tablets, Xbox and Apple TV.

Specifically, usage of the WatchESPN app on smartphones and tablets throughout the entire tournament was up 274 percent - nearly quadruple - in live minutes viewed.  Additionally, the average number of daily viewers nearly doubled, up 89 percent, while minutes per viewer via the app more than doubled, up 110 percent.

Across the two weeks of the tournament, ESPN.com Tennis video starts were up eight percent at 2.1 million.  Additionally, average daily traffic to the Tennis card on the ScoreCenter app during the tournament more than doubled in unique viewers (up 138 percent) and visits (up 118 percent).  Usage nearly tripled in minutes (up 195 percent) and average minute audience (up 195 percent).

ESPN and Wimbledon
ESPN's exclusivity and all-live presentation began in 2012, the result of a 12-year agreement between ESPN and the All England Lawn Tennis Club announced just after the conclusion of the 2011 Championships.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1089 on: July 10, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
Andy Murray's Wimbledon victory scores biggest TV ratings of 2013
Published Monday, Jul 8 2013, 5:26am EDT  |  By Tom Eames  | 
Andy Murray's Wimbledon victory scored the highest ratings for 2013 on Sunday (July 7).

The British tennis star's straight sets win over Novak Djokovic attracted a peak audience of 17.29 million on BBC One, with an average of 12.09m (72.8%) from 1.45pm.

It exceeded the 2012 final's peak ratings of 16.9m and an 11.4m average, which had become the biggest UK audience for any Wimbledon final for over 20 years at the time.

Murray's win is the second most-watched Wimbledon match of all time, after Bjorn Borg's five-set victory over John McEnroe back in 1980, which scored 17.3m.

The match overtakes ITV's live Britain's Got Talent final as the highest-rated 2013 program, the latter having attracted a peak of 13.1m last month.

Murray beat Djokovic 6-4, 7-5, 6-4, becoming the first British men's singles champion at the tennis tournament since Fred Perry in 1936.

He described the win as the "toughest" of his career to date. He lost last year's final to Roger Federer in four sets.

An updated version of BBC One documentary Andy Murray: The Man Behind the Racquet will air tonight (July 8).

Read more:
[/color]http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/news/a496477/andy-murrays-wimbledon-victory-scores-biggest-tv-ratings-of-2013.html#ixzz2YgkfKR7H[/color][/color][/font]

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #1090 on: July 10, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »
Not only did so many brits see it, they got what they wanted.

All good for the game.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #1091 on: July 10, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »
Good work, Emma.

swish nailed it. That's nearly a 40% fall off. When you take into consideration that British #s were through the roof, ROW viewership was off by well over 40%!

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1092 on: July 10, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
I don't know the overall result as in the global results but to my surprise, quite a few co-workers of mine (that's in Canada of course) asked me about Murray and him breaking the 77 years long drought. I didn't ask everyone but quite a few told me that they did watch most of the match especially the ending. I, of course, started watching from 8am. I wanted to watch the Breakfast Wimbledon. Actually I wasn't getting any sleep since Thursday after that match vs Verdasco. I just knew Murray was going to get the title so I was under constant anxiety attack.  :rofl_2:

It will be interesting to see who makes the final next year.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1093 on: July 10, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »
I should also point out that Murray is literally the 3rd best grasscourt player on tour behind Federer and Hewitt with 71 winning matches on grass (probably 72 now with the last winning match) and we all know Murray is also quite a few years younger than both Federer and Hewitt

:rofl_2: probably the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life. Emma strikes again.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #1094 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
Hewitt? uh wut?   ;;)

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1095 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:20 PM »
Hewitt? uh wut?   ;;)

:rofl_2: OK, that made me laugh so hard.

Don't forget when Emma and Herc 'think' about tennis ... God help us all  :innocent:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1096 on: July 11, 2013, 05:40:55 AM »
ATM Murray is the best grass court player,Murray has mental toughness has improved so much in the last 18 months since Ivan Lendl took over.Alex see's this & has become a Fed Fan,that's something i will never do no matter what happens with Andy.Murray winning London Olympics/Queen's Club & Wimbledon without as loss makes him top dog on this surface.Roger over the years has been amazing on this surface,but it looks like times have changed.Will Roger be any better in 12 months? does he want to put in the work that the younger guns do? maybe not time will tell us.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1097 on: July 11, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
Sid, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Murray didn't beat anybody important to win W. He beat 6 clowns plus Djokovic. Who I like or dislike is also my own thing.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1098 on: July 11, 2013, 07:11:05 AM »
Sid, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Murray didn't beat anybody important to win W. He beat 6 clowns plus Djokovic. Who I like or dislike is also my own thing.

You can't take Djokovic got beat Alex,i don't care who you wish to support.BTW the way you've been with Emma is well out of order,i've put you off my buddys list over that.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1099 on: July 11, 2013, 08:21:22 AM »
Among the active players on tour, Murray is the 3rd best on grass after Federer and Hewitt. In fact, he's probably the best player on grass right now since Federer is declining and Hewitt is on the verge of retiring. Given that Murray is quite natural on grass and it's perhaps his best surface, he'll probably go on to win a few Wimbledon going forward. I am not sure how many Slams he'll get in total once his career ends, but I won't but surprised if most of them are Wimbledon and USO. He just love these two Slams but Wimbledon probably more so.

From his Facebook: