Author Topic: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7  (Read 15521 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7
« Reply #1100 on: July 11, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »
I thought Andy always maintained that the USOpen was his favorite GrandSlam.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1101 on: July 11, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
It was great to know that ESPN rating was the 2nd highest in 33 years for the Gentlemen's Championship and obviously, the UK rating was through the roof with 17 something million people tuned in at peak hours to watch this, but I don't care for ratings. I enjoyed this year's Wimbledon immensely. I thought it was quite notorious and wicked with top seeds dropping like flies and unable to adjust the tricky conditions on grass. But the 2nd week saw the usual story with the grass being all worn out and the players looking far more comfortable on it. The semi-finals were great though Janowicz's attitude was a bit hard to digest, when he wanted to close the roof to throw Murray's momentum off and perhaps was under the impression, if that were to happen Murray was probably going to lose the match - just like he lost against Federer last year. It's true Murray doesn't like the roof on CC - he prefers the open condition as it's really not an indoor tournament, but this time he was more than ready. I just didn't like JJ's tricks and he was completely on it and the roof was his last resort.

Anyway, from a fan's perspective, it was really great to see Murray win Wimbledon and I hope he goes on to win many, many Slams. I love his smart, tactical tennis and especially like his variety and his defense to offence skill. And of course, he's a great human being and a perfect role model. 
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1102 on: July 11, 2013, 09:01:37 AM »
I thought Andy always maintained that the USOpen was his favorite GrandSlam.

No, it was always, always, always Wimbledon. He's a Brit and he loves his country so I see where's he coming from and why Wimbledon has been his favourite. US Open is his 2nd but it came first as he was playing with less pressure there.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam - Wimbledon June 24 - July 7
« Reply #1103 on: July 11, 2013, 09:03:24 AM »
"PERFECT" role model? Really?  I didn't think we had any "perfect" people out there! Guess I somehow missed this about Andy...Uhm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1104 on: July 11, 2013, 09:12:56 AM »
"PERFECT" role model? Really?  I didn't think we had any "perfect" people out there! Guess I somehow missed this about Andy...Uhm....

Well, he definitely doesn't pretend to be one but anyone who's paying attention without the hatred and blindness is bound to notice that he's a great human being. I am not a Brit but I know he's no pretender. Thanks to MW, I was able to find many details about him which only made me like him more and more.  He definitely wouldn't say "you f**king stopped' to his opponent in the middle of a match.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #1105 on: July 11, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
McEnroe said Murray could win 10 slams.

That's really pushing it but I could see more from Andy easily.

This USO is very interesting.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1106 on: July 11, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »

Perfect i would not go that far,but he's getting better than the past.Dallas Roger was not alway perfect &  :innocent:

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #1107 on: July 11, 2013, 09:17:32 AM »
We better tell all the players then so he can win that sportsmanship award this year. After all, seems like you know him better than they do! Lol

(Just having a little fun with you Emma)! Lol.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #1108 on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »

Perfect i would not go that far,but he's getting better than the past.Dallas Roger was not alway perfect &  :innocent:

Yes, I know Sid. You are right. With Lendl in his box, he doesn't shout and curse at them many times like he did before so yes, he is changing!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1109 on: July 11, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »
Sportsmanship award is a big joke and I never pay attention to that. I don't need Murray to win any of those pretentious awards. I just need him to stay humble and win as many Slams as possible.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1110 on: July 11, 2013, 09:23:54 AM »

Yes, I know Sid. You are right. With Lendl in his box, he doesn't shout and curse at them many times like he did before so yes, he is changing!

He doesn't curse at them, Dallas. He tells them that he's playing crap. Do you really and honestly think that people would stay with him if he were to curse at them on a daily basis? Lendl, for one, is the last person on this planet to take any kind of verbal or mental abuse from anyone. Sorry but some of you are very quick to interpret things in the way it suits best your world.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #1111 on: July 11, 2013, 09:40:02 AM »
Sportsmanship award is a big joke and I never pay attention to that. I don't need Murray to win any of those pretentious awards. I just need him to stay humble and win as many Slams as possible.

And as "fans"...that's how we are suppose to feel. That's how I feel with Roger but others will argue me down that he's no good for the game, that his attitude is bad, etc., but as his fan - I don't see all that. I'm his fan and will stick by him regardless of how others "see" him. That's how you should be with your favorite - so I have nothing against you for that! Lol I was really just messing with you a little.

You know no matter what people say about Roger -- he will always be my little as much as anyone can get -  "perfect" player! Lol I have no doubt that you and Sid will continue to support Andy the same way...

Again -- let me say (and I am serious about this)... Congratulation to Andy for winning Wimbledon, and I'm really happy for you and Sid.  And that's a fact.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1112 on: July 11, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
In the true sense, no one can be perfect. It's just not possible. Because then we'll be left with nothing to work on. So basically, you don't want to be perfect.

The perfect I refer to is the necessary element you need to have in order achieve something big and that should always come without putting down others. Murray has been a gracious loser, been very respectful to his peers and he has dedicated everything to his team, family and his country. He's extremely good with kids and if there's one Brit kid out there who wants to achieve a lot in tennis in the future, then he or she should know where to look as Murray has set a great ground work there.

Of course I say that every player out there has done something good for himself and for their country be it anyone.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1113 on: July 11, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Murray will get the BBC Sportsman award This year,i would bet money onit. :rofl_2: If even if we win the Ashes 5-0 that won't top Murray.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #1114 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »
Emma - I' like to pick up on your response to me about Djokovic's tough semi against Del Potro.  I disagree that Murray's semi with Janowicz was comparable.  Whether JJ is an up & coming player  / had something to lose or not is beside the point - after winning the first set, he slid back into a more submissive role in the match & Murray was basically unchallenged in the final 2 sets.
This does’nt compare to the tough contest between Djokovic & JMDP.  JMDP was formidable in that match, and it  could have gone either way.  The energy, both emotional & physical that such an encounter requires is different to one in which one has control, and Murray had control of his semi with JJ.    Verdasco  played well in the first 2 sets, but his usual inconsistency was an open book in the final 2 sets, taking the sting off the contest, with Murray very much in control.  It was a shorter, less demanding 5 set match than the Djokovic / JMDP one.

Other significant factors are that Djokovic could not play his best tennis on the day. He was prone to errors & failed to take his chances. This may in part have been due to being exhausted after the JMDP match, or because he was having an “off” day or both. The evidence is his inability to finish points off quickly & to move as well as he usually does.

I do of course acknowledge that Murray played well, and remained focused & determined throughout.  He took most of the presenting chances & had more of a momentum when it mattered.  As a result, he was the better player on the day & outplayed Djokovic. Add to this the crowd support for Murray, which must have had at least some effect in keeping him energised. 

I am not saying that Murray won because Djokovic played a tough semi, but that it would have been a closer match if Djokovic had been able to play his best game, which he could not do at least in part to having played a tough 5 setter beforehand.   I find it odd that anyone would think that Djokovic was playing his best game out there.  He wasn’t.  This fact does not diminish Murray's win, but gives perspective to how the win was achieved in straight sets.   

Sid – I agree that Lendl has had a wonderful influence on Murray.  He's helped him to break free of self doubt, & the results speak for themselves.  But for me the remarkable thing is not that Lendl has been a positive influence, but rather that  Murray allowed himself to be guided. This makes me respect him & his efforts even more.  For it takes courage to trust someone enough to be guided by them & to put oneself in the hands of a mentor / accept ones shortcomings & make the changes required to overcome them, particularly where attitude / emotions are concerned.  To me, Murray’s biggest achievement is to allow himself to be guided.   Everything else has simply followed  from that.  It has been just wonderful to see the blossoming of a potential ability  to be a grand slam winner, into a realised one.  I hope he can follow his remaining dreams to fruition.     
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:48:24 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #1115 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
Murray will get the BBC Sportsman award This year,i would bet money onit. :rofl_2: If even if we win the Ashes 5-0 that won't top Murray.

really ?? Wimbledon win >ashes 5-0 ??? surely defending an ashes with a 5-0 result would be a wonderful achievement !!!! :king:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1116 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
Hi Gawdblessya,Murray had a 5 setter v Verdasco in QF.Over all both Djokovic & Murray had not spent that much time on court over the 2 weeks.I've seen top tennis players IE big 4 have much longer on court over the 2 weeks & win a Slam.I feel Murray has Djokovic number on grass it's not the first time Djokovic has lost to Murray.Courage & trust in Lendl has helped Andy big time,he now a big Danger @ all Slams well maybe not Clay lol.
all the best.

I am not saying that Murray won because Djokovic played a tough semi, but that it would have been a closer match if Djokovic had been able to play his best game, which he could not do at least in part to having played a tough 5 setter beforehand.   I find it odd that anyone would think that Djokovic was playing his best game out there.  He wasn’t.  This fact does not diminish Murray's win, but gives perspective to how the win was achieved in straight sets.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1117 on: July 11, 2013, 11:02:52 AM »

really ?? Wimbledon win >ashes 5-0 ??? surely defending an ashes with a 5-0 result would be a wonderful achievement !!!! :king:

Also in time it will be Sir Andy (knighthood),Winning Wimbledon was very big here.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1118 on: July 11, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »
Djokovic couldn't have afforded to have a day off in a GS final - not against a player like Murray who was playing in front of the home crowd and a great grass court player. I hope people realize that. Let's not also forget the time Federer sent Nole home just last year at Wimbledon in 4 sets. Followed by another straight set loss to Murray at the Olympics semi on grass. Nole saw another defeat at the hand of Del Potro again on grass at the same Olympics. Djokovic is just not good enough on grass as much as you want to convince yourself otherwise. His win at Wimbledon in 2011 came when he was riding high on confidence and when Tsogna already took care of Federer and Nadal, Murray.

And Murray had come to the final playing more sets than Nole (Murray 9 sets and Nole, 8 sets) and his match against Verdasco was a nail biter. You may say many things, but Verdasco didn't give up until he lost the last point. Murray won the last set 7-5 so Verdasco was anything but inconsistent because it was a pretty  tight set and could have gone either way. Just because it went Murray's way doesn't mean he had it easy.

But it's okay - we can agree to disagree. We can choose to believe whatever we want to but the facts will remain intact.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1119 on: July 11, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »
Hi Gawdblessya,Murray had a 5 setter v Verdasco in QF.Over all both Djokovic & Murray had not spent that much time on court over the 2 weeks.I've seen top tennis players IE big 4 have much longer on court over the 2 weeks & win a Slam.I feel Murray has Djokovic number on grass it's not the first time Djokovic has lost to Murray.Courage & trust in Lendl has helped Andy big time,he now a big Danger @ all Slams well maybe not Clay lol.
all the best.

And how about the time when Nole had almost a 5 hour long fight against Murray at the 2012 AO semi and then he went on to play another 6 hour long match against Nadal in the final? And add to the fact that, most of their Wimbledon points were shorter than their matches at the AO.

And if people want to throw that in then I can also say that after that overwhelming victory over Federer at this year AO semi, Murray wasn't mentally ready for the final against Nole, but I am not too keen on lining up excuses right now.