Author Topic: nadal loss revisited : various theories are popping up  (Read 643 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: nadal loss revisited : various theories are popping up
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
From Tio the Toni.

TioToni

Rafael Nadal's coach and uncle Toni has insisted that the Spaniard's knee injury is not a cause for concern.

The 27-year-old only returned in January following several months on the sidelines with tendinitis. He went on to win the French Open, but on Monday he appeared to be in a lot of pain as he lost out in the opening round of Wimbledon to Steve Darcis.

However, his mentor has hinted that a poor performance rather than the injury was behind the world number five's exit.

"In the sport you can win and lose. Many times you lose. The knee injury is not a worry. His knees were the same here as Roland Garros and he won the tournament there," Toni told BBC Sport.

"It is impossible not to play Wimbledon. Losing in the first round is bad but not playing is so much worse. We will come back every year here and we like so much to come here. I'm sure next year we will play better here."

A year earlier Nadal was defeated in the second round at Wimbledon by Lukas Rosol.   

At least we know it's not a knee injury.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
general ashwin calls this one right as do most of the other experts now:

nadal was fully spent physically and mentally. RG took a lot out of him.

he is not young anymore.

that still does not excuse nadal: he did not bother to improve his game over the course of last 4 years.

and if that was not bad enough, he now fights with less than optimal fitness. he has let his fitness drop.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
From Tio the Toni.

TioToni

Rafael Nadal's coach and uncle Toni has insisted that the Spaniard's knee injury is not a cause for concern.

The 27-year-old only returned in January following several months on the sidelines with tendinitis. He went on to win the French Open, but on Monday he appeared to be in a lot of pain as he lost out in the opening round of Wimbledon to Steve Darcis.

However, his mentor has hinted that a poor performance rather than the injury was behind the world number five's exit.

"In the sport you can win and lose. Many times you lose. The knee injury is not a worry. His knees were the same here as Roland Garros and he won the tournament there," Toni told BBC Sport.

"It is impossible not to play Wimbledon. Losing in the first round is bad but not playing is so much worse. We will come back every year here and we like so much to come here. I'm sure next year we will play better here."

A year earlier Nadal was defeated in the second round at Wimbledon by Lukas Rosol.   

At least we know it's not a knee injury.
Phew, I was really worried there for awhile.
Glad to know everything is just fine with Nadal.
Thanks Toni.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
nadal will lose any and all sharpness off the ground unless he hits a couple of small clay events between now and the north American hard court circuit.

clay is the wellspring from which he flows.

it is clear that hard courts have destroyed his movement and his ground game. clay is the only thing that can help him get his ground game back. and keep the knee healthy in the process.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
If you're buying the Uncle Toni Tap Dance act, here's one for you Bud-
George Strait - "Ocean Front Property"
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
Now that I've spent a few days drowning my sorrows and licking my wounds, I've shown up again to start posting!

The reason behind this loss, I thought, was pretty evident. Nadal had no practice on grass. He skipped the warm up tourney to try and rest his knees. So when he hit Wimbledon, he was rusty on the surface. He was trying to play into it, and Darcis never game him the chance. See Darcis retiring the next round? He obviously already had something going on. So he was just going for broke against Nadal, and fortunately for him, he was getting all the shots in. Look at the points in the last couple of games. Nadal was playing great shots himself by that point, but Darcis had built up his confidence and swung with no care, and the shots worked.

This was a combo of a fearless opponent with some luck on his side and a rusty Nadal. It's hard facing this loss, but at least now Nadal has some extra time to rest before hitting the terrifying hard court season.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
Now that I've spent a few days drowning my sorrows and licking my wounds, I've shown up again to start posting!

The reason behind this loss, I thought, was pretty evident. Nadal had no practice on grass. He skipped the warm up tourney to try and rest his knees. So when he hit Wimbledon, he was rusty on the surface. He was trying to play into it, and Darcis never game him the chance. See Darcis retiring the next round? He obviously already had something going on. So he was just going for broke against Nadal, and fortunately for him, he was getting all the shots in. Look at the points in the last couple of games. Nadal was playing great shots himself by that point, but Darcis had built up his confidence and swung with no care, and the shots worked.

This was a combo of a fearless opponent with some luck on his side and a rusty Nadal. It's hard facing this loss, but at least now Nadal has some extra time to rest before hitting the terrifying hard court season.

Still.. He lost to Steve f**king Darcis in the 1st round. Nadal has skipped a grass tune-up before only to make the WImbeldon final.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »

Still.. He lost to Steve f**king Darcis in the 1st round. Nadal has skipped a grass tune-up before only to make the WImbeldon final.

Truth of the matter is that Nadal isn't young anymore. Age can not be stopped and no one is an exception.

The field doesn't fear him like they used to, Djokovic showed them the way and others followed.

Don't expect him to do well everywhere anymore.
He still has clay but it looks like grass is history.