Author Topic: If you think 5+ hours = EPIC, you don't know tennis  (Read 1269 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
If you think 5+ hours = EPIC, you don't know tennis
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
Too bad many of you are too young to understand what a tennis I.Q. is, and what point construction looks like. And too bad many of you missed today's clinic.

What you missed was tennis. That was actually tennis out there today. No, that was what EPIC tennis really looks like. But you missed it and probably won't get an opportunity to witness it any time soon, if ever.

Kudos to Stakhovsky! A true tennis clinic today of EPIC proportions :thumbs-up:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: If you think 5+ hours = EPIC, you don't know tennis
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
Nice to see players with the courage to play aggressively and move into the forecourt.

I mean really, how much strategy can be involved when you only use the back half of the court and only move laterally.  Everyone knows that's bad for your knees.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
I'm a 16yo girl and I love 7h tennis matches with 60 shot rallies  :lust: :lust:. I fell in love with tennis when I saw Djokovic and his beautiful hair last year at the AO  :)~ :)~ :)~. I think Nadal is OK, but he is losing his hair, I'm not really attracted to him.

I watched Federer vs. Stakhovsky today. Fed is too old for me, and the Ukrainian guy has a big nose, not my type. Yeah he finished Fed in only 3 hours. that's a way too short for me. anyway, Stako played well so congrats to him. I must admit that his wife has nice legs. good for him. 

I wish that that Spanish guy Lopez could play tennis as well as he looks like. I'd be a fan for sure.  :blush: :blush: :blush:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
Nice to see players with the courage to play aggressively and move into the forecourt.

I mean really, how much strategy can be involved when you only use the back half of the court and only move laterally.  Everyone knows that's bad for your knees.

Hard to get the message through the bubble  ;-()
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
I'm a 16yo girl and I love 7h tennis matches with 60 shot rallies  :lust: :lust:. I fell in love with tennis when I saw Djokovic and his beautiful hair last year at the AO  :)~ :)~ :)~. I think Nadal is OK, but he is losing his hair, I'm not really attracted to him.

I watched Federer vs. Stakhovsky today. Fed is too old for me, and the Ukrainian guy has a big nose, not my type. Yeah he finished Fed in only 3 hours. that's a way too short for me. anyway, Stako played well so congrats to him. I must admit that his wife has nice legs. good for him. 

I wish that that Spanish guy Lopez could play tennis as well as he looks like. I'd be a fan for sure.  :blush: :blush: :blush:
Yes, yes, all de bess!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »

Hard to get the message through the bubble  ;-()
"I liked it better when I wasn't one of the smartest ones here."

MT
CONK da ball!!!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
OK, seriously now. Stakhovsky did something that I haven't seen in a long time. He brilliantly mixed up his game, playing from the baseline and then going to the net, S&V, baseline, net , S&V, baseline, net ... I was shocked to see him playing like this. Fed looked confused out there because he couldn't figure out what Starkovsky's next step is, and he was always one step behind. His game was so versatile today, I thought I was watching a multiple slam winner, a top guy.  He outfoxed and outplayed an old Fox, unbelievable performance.

Now, can he sustain this level or will he disappear in the next round? I hope it's the first but I'm not so sure. Where was this guy before? I watched him lose to much less talented players. You could see some glimpses of his brilliance but that was it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:03:46 PM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 07:53:34 PM »
All-court tennis in today's game?
Mon Dieu, que pasa? :lmao:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »
OK, seriously now. Stakhovsky did something that I haven't seen in a long time. He brilliantly mixed up his game, playing from the baseline and then going to the net, S&V, baseline, net , S&V, baseline, net ... I was shocked to see him playing like this. Fed looked confused out there because he couldn't figure out what Starkovsky's next step is, and he was always one step behind. His game was so versatile today, I thought I was watching a multiple slam winner, a top guy.  He outfoxed and outplayed an old Fox, unbelievable performance.

Now, can we sustain this level or will he disappear in the next round. I hope it's the first but I'm not so sure. Where was this guy before. I watched him lose to much less talented players. You could see some glimpses of his brilliance but that was it.

The Stack always plays this type of game but today he was near perfect.
Fed knew what he was going to do but most those points were far away from Fed so he couldn't get to them.

Fed also wasn't really good, he hasn't been even though he won halle. That time off with a bad back cost him training. This is good news, there was a reason for the loss.

Fed will get his timing and game back on hard courts.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »

Now, can we sustain this level or will he disappear in the next round. I hope it's the first but I'm not so sure. Where was this guy before. I watched him lose to much less talented players. You could see some glimpses of his brilliance but that was it.

The Stack always plays this type of game but today he was near perfect.Fed knew what he was going to do but most those points were far away from Fed so he couldn't get to them.

Fed also wasn't really good, he hasn't been even though he won halle. That time off with a bad back cost him training. This is good news, there was a reason for the loss.

So which reason was it? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
All-court tennis in today's game?
Mon Dieu, que pasa? :lmao:
well, yeah. I mean I love watching Nole mixing up his defense/offense style, but him and Nadal are pretty predictable. The only 2 guys who are true all court players IMHO are Fed and Haas. I'm surprised that Fed, who has excellent net/volleying skills didn't come out to the net more often today. He was too passive and it cost him the match.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »

The Stack always plays this type of game but today he was near perfect.Fed knew what he was going to do but most those points were far away from Fed so he couldn't get to them.

Both of course.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »
Hey, guys, come on! :cheer:

This is where you tell us that tennis is only exciting when 2 guys hit the ball 30x per rally for 5+ hours.

This is where you tell us that the match was played at too fast a pace for there to be any drama.

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »
yesterday's match was one of the better matches i've seen in a long time.. :) :) what a great match..pity, a legend was knocked out by an extremely superb S&V sergie !!! Kudos to SS !! :king: :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 05:52:12 AM »

Both of course.
Lack of preparation due to injury.
Got it.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »

Both of course.
Lack of preparation due to injury.
Got it.

And age, he needs things to go right.
Training, schedule and physically being able to prepare.

36 straight Quarter finals.

That's 144-0 record before the quarters in slams over 9 years.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »
I really think Monster was being mildly sarcastic, Swishy and I am being delicate here.  :)~
You are everything I am not.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
Luggernaut!!!!

Where are you, man?!

Join in the celebration of tennis  :friends:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 04:13:38 PM »
Agreed, maybe this one match will spark a revolution in playing style.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
I really think Monster was being mildly sarcastic, Swishy and I am being delicate here.  :)~
Sort of Emma.
Just seemed like he mentioned several factors and then tried to boil it down to one.
Now he's added age to the mix!
Oh dear. :Confused:

Thanks for being delicate. :))
CONK da ball!!!