Author Topic: 2013 US Open Cock Up  (Read 509 times)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
2013 US Open Cock Up
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:28:50 AM »
Ticket holders for Tuesday's night session might have felt a little short changed as they witnessed just 35 games across two matches, with Novak Djokovic beating Ricardas Berankis 6-1 6-2 6-2 and Victoria Azarenka crushing Dinah Pfizenmaier 6-0 6-0.

Why the hell did thay not play Murray on Tuesday's night session.

Wednesday's late matches have already had more drama by virtue of the fact that reigning champion Andy Murray has been kept waiting for three days to play his first match. "I'm playing my first round match at the US Open at 7pm on a Wednesday..." he tweeted on Tuesday evening. Laura Robson will attempt to reach the third round against Caroline Garcia on Court 11 at around 13:00 BST.

As i said USO could not organize a piss up in a brewery.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: 2013 US Open Cock Up
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:44:54 AM »
"Piss up in a brewery"! :lmao:
I'm gonna remember that one. :))

Sure seems lame to me that Murray waits until day 3 to play.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:08:37 AM »
"Piss up in a brewery"! :lmao:
I'm gonna remember that one. :))

Sure seems lame to me that Murray waits until day 3 to play.

Night match as well,weather said not to be good,it's disappointing.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
5PM in New York. It doesn't look good at all  :\. DP/GGL played only 3 games. Then Serena is playing after ... I think it's gonna be too late for Murray to finish his match tonight.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
I don't see what the huge deal is. Del Po waited til Day 3 to play as well. Don't see what the difference is. And yeah, he might have to wait until tomorrow, but how were they supposed to know it might rain tonight when they made the schedule up about a week ago. They always take 3 days to complete the first round.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
OK, good news, Serena's match was cancelled on Ash. Bad news, we might get some showers tonight and they say 'isolated showers' on Thursday. Friday should be OK. However, they predict thunderstorms on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. This could get really, really nasty.

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
I don't see what the huge deal is. Del Po waited til Day 3 to play as well. Don't see what the difference is. And yeah, he might have to wait until tomorrow, but how were they supposed to know it might rain tonight when they made the schedule up about a week ago. They always take 3 days to complete the first round.

On the one hand you don't think there's any 'deal', by conceding the organizers can't predict the weather, but seem to be allowing for the fact that if bad weather occurs on the third day it's a problem. Couldn't bad weather be unforeseen and a problem?
Why would Del Po having to wait til day three alter the unfairness of things? it could be unfair for Del Po too.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
Ticket holders for Tuesday's night session might have felt a little short changed as they witnessed just 35 games across two matches, with Novak Djokovic beating Ricardas Berankis 6-1 6-2 6-2 and Victoria Azarenka crushing Dinah Pfizenmaier 6-0 6-0.

Why the hell did thay not play Murray on Tuesday's night session.

Wednesday's late matches have already had more drama by virtue of the fact that reigning champion Andy Murray has been kept waiting for three days to play his first match. "I'm playing my first round match at the US Open at 7pm on a Wednesday..." he tweeted on Tuesday evening. Laura Robson will attempt to reach the third round against Caroline Garcia on Court 11 at around 13:00 BST.

As i said USO could not organize a piss up in a brewery.

To be fair though, the Americans are pretty damn good at hegemony! Piss up in a brewery-nah, they have real problems with that.
Can't believe Murray still hasn't played, At Wimbledon the previous years winner opens proceedings on centre court.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »
Then why do all the other Slams play the 1st round in 2 days.When will thay fall into line with the rest & get organized.Also Super saturday was unfair no matter who played in it.So when i've said the USO could not organize a piss up in a brewery,that's the truth.@ least thay will have a roof in years to come,USO is not organized like the rest of the Slams.One day thay might be smart with time zones for tv & ratings & not put Murray on so late @ night.I will be up for the Murray match,but loads of people will miss it.Time Zone would not have made much difference for Potty,this is why i say again,USO could not organize a piss up in a brewery.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
Then why do all the other Slams play the 1st round in 2 days.When will thay fall into line with the rest & get organized.Also Super saturday was unfair no matter who played in it.So when i've said the USO could not organize a piss up in a brewery,that's the truth.@ least thay will have a roof in years to come,USO is not organized like the rest of the Slams.One day thay might be smart with time zones for tv & ratings & not put Murray on so late @ night.I will be up for the Murray match,but loads of people will miss it.Time Zone would not have made much difference for Potty,this is why i say again,USO could not organize a piss up in a brewery.

Don't the French Open start on Sunday with 1st round through Tuesday? :confused1:

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »

On the one hand you don't think there's any 'deal', by conceding the organizers can't predict the weather, but seem to be allowing for the fact that if bad weather occurs on the third day it's a problem. Couldn't bad weather be unforeseen and a problem?
Why would Del Po having to wait til day three alter the unfairness of things? it could be unfair for Del Po too.

Well no crap, if the weather pushes the first round to last a day longer, of course that's a problem. But if the first round finishes when it's supposed, and when it's supposed to EVERY YEAR (not like this year is any different; it always last 3 days), then there is no problem.
No one's complaining about Del Po having to wait til day 3. Yet everyone's acting like it's some huge deal that Murray has to.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »
Nothing worse than not being able to organize a piss up in a brewery.  :-o

It's a real cock up for sure.

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »

Well no crap, if the weather pushes the first round to last a day longer, of course that's a problem. But if the first round finishes when it's supposed, and when it's supposed to EVERY YEAR (not like this year is any different; it always last 3 days), then there is no problem.
No one's complaining about Del Po having to wait til day 3. Yet everyone's acting like it's some huge deal that Murray has to.

So you're conceding that the weather can cause scheduling problems, ergo Murray and Del Po's already delayed start could have been compounded by the arrival of bad weather. If that had pushed Murray and Delboy into day four-that's a problem. (I'm sure i don't' actually need to lay out what the problem would be)
The fact that you initially said you  'don't see what the huge deal is' now sounds like hyperbole to distract from what you concede could be 'a problem'.