Author Topic: andy murray says he wants to win slams  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: andy murray says he wants to win slams
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »
Everyone wants to win slams, tell me something new.  :rofl_2:

negative. not "everyone".

having a desire is not enough. you must have the ability as well.

only those who have both desire and the ability would say that they want to win slams or win more slams.

take a guy like Stak who knocked out roger at Wimbledon. you think he wants to win a slam. he is not that stupid. he knows he has zero chance of winning a slam.

or darcis for that matter. most days he is worrying about winning just 1 match at any one tournament. and that is if he can even get into the main draw.

most players never even get into the main draw of a slam, let alone ever winning one. in fact winning a slam is the last thing on their mind. they are just worrying about how the hell they are going to pay their mortgage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:26:20 PM by Clay Death »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 11:31:44 PM »
Everyone wants to win slams, tell me something new.  :rofl_2:

negative. not "everyone".

having a desire is not enough. you must have the ability as well.

only those who have both desire and the ability would say that they want to win slams or win more slams.

take a guy like Stak who knocked out roger at Wimbledon. you think he wants to win a slam. he is not that stupid. he knows he has zero chance of winning a slam.

or darcis for that matter. most days he is worrying about winning just 1 match at any one tournament. and that is if he can even get into the main draw.

most players never even get into the main draw of a slam, let alone ever winning one. in fact winning a slam is the last thing on their mind. they are just worrying about how the hell they are going to pay their mortgage.

Nonsense, there's not one player walking that doesn't want to win a slam.

It doesn't matter how good they are, they will keep trying to get as far as they want.

Try asking any player if they ever thought about winning one.

Better upgrade that liquor.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 11:59:56 PM »
horses**t.

they cant even make the main draw and yet they will actually tell somebody that they want to win the slam.

either they are on drugs or you are.

nobody reasonable who cant win more than a match or 2 a year at the challenger`s level would run around telling somebody that they want to win a slam.

they cant even figure out how the hell they are going to get to the next tournament and yet they are going to tell you that they want to win a slam.

nice try swish. what is that you are smoking again? it must be good.

:)) :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »
I'm sure you asked them yourself.  :rofl_2:

And I'm sure they went into tennis to be a journeyman.  :rofl_2:

You got ripped off on that smoke you got.   :hysterical:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
andy murray says he wants to win slams
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 09:23:20 AM »
Whether  they can ever win a slam is not the same thing as them "wanting" to win it. Ask 100 players if they "want" to win a slam and 100 will say "YES"....EVERY tennis player from 1-1000 WANTS to win a slam.  Period. The statement wasn't "if" but "wants". That's the difference. So Murray isn't saying anything "special" that any other tennis player would be saying. They all WANT to win slams! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
Actually I think Murray is focused on the Canada Masters first. He knows that in order to win the US Open you have to win one of Canada/Cincy.

Well....recent history says otherwise. Murray didn't win any of them last year, Nadal didn't in 2010, Del Potro didn't in 2009 and Federer didn't in 2008.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:06:42 PM by Litotes »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »
andy is exactly where he needs to be:

he is resting for a day or 2 and then the preparation begins for the defense of the u.s. open crown.

he does not need to win in montreal. he just needs a few matches and that is it.

rest of the work will come from practice.

it is far more important for him to arrive fresh, fit, and healthy at flushing meadows.

especially in light of that back issue. he is not going to overdo it.

Offline DrJules

• Tennis Player
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 02:19:42 PM »
Murray is realistic in that he's too far back to challenge the #1 ranking right now. So it's wise to focus on the US Open instead.
Murray can win the USO and guess what? he won't get anywhere near #1. simple math ...

Cannot see Murray taking computer ranking of 1 this year.

If Murray wins US Open and year end masters this year, I would consider him the player of the year despite what the computer states.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
Murray is realistic in that he's too far back to challenge the #1 ranking right now. So it's wise to focus on the US Open instead.
Murray can win the USO and guess what? he won't get anywhere near #1. simple math ...

Cannot see Murray taking computer ranking of 1 this year.

If Murray wins US Open and year end masters this year, I would consider him the player of the year despite what the computer states.
no ifs or buts, you should trust to your computer more  :)~

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
Seriously guys, what is SO wrong with some of you? It's a very simple statement so don't make too much out of it. I know fully well that a lot of Murray fans are very keen on the ranking, but I've always maintained that Murray himself is not very keen. He just wants to win more Slams and if the No. 1 position comes with it then that's dandy too, but he's not going to fight for it. It's two very different elements and Murray does realize that achieving both is not a very realistic goal at this point. But more importantly, if he continues to win Majors and Masters (and he does like some of those), the ranking will take care of itself. Sampras, for example, wanted to be No. 1 for a number of years and he planned all his schedule that way and he did achieve that. To Murray, it's simply not a priority.

As I see it, his next goal should be to defend USO and win WTF this year, something he deeply cares about and he's the 2nd best on that surface (by that I mean indoor) after Federer despite not winning at least one time, but his time is on the rise.

It won't be too bad if he takes a few more titles in between like Montreal, Shanghai, Tokyo etc. All the top four will be gunning for all these as well no doubt.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »
BTW, I wanted to clarify that my above post has nothing to do with herc's initinal post which was well intended, but to do with the ones that followed.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »
Murray is not keen on rankings, uh, oh  :rofl_2:, he wants to win slams but he likes being ranked #2 or 3. Only in Emma's la la land.  Are you really that retarded  :paper bag:? Do you even comprehend what #1 in the world means? but somehow, you know what Murray thinks, wants ... gimme a break woman  :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:33:54 PM by Alex »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 11:40:20 PM »
Everyone wants to be #1. 

Fans may say it isn't important but it's just sour grapes, the misery shows through.
They can't fool me, I know all those tricks.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 07:12:47 AM »
Murray became defensive counterpuncher in this Wimbledon Final, like another Hewitt. I just hope he will not use this type of mindset to win more slams. :whistle:

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »
I think CD is partially right. Of course everyone WANTS to win a Slam, but there are some low-ranked players on the Challenger tour who just have a goal such as get in to the top 100, or win a few ATP matches.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
I think CD is partially right. Of course everyone WANTS to win a Slam, but there are some low-ranked players on the Challenger tour who just have a goal such as get in to the top 100, or win a few ATP matches.

Short term goals are important, once they are attained confidence builds.

I would assume that lower ranked players have short term goals as a stepping stone to the ultimate goal of winning a slam and/or being #1.

No one plays the $100M lotto to get the $10 prize.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
Everyone wants to be #1. 

Fans may say it isn't important but it's just sour grapes, the misery shows through.

Everyone can want anything they want but no likely they are going to get it unless you are talking about a loser who can't differentiate the two. It's not a La La land we live in. The realistic goal is the one that is achievable. Murray could have been like Wozniacki and accumulated as many titles as he wanted and that would have taken him to the No. 1 position as well - just like Rios was for 6 months or so, but the ultimate goal or the real goal for anyone is to win a Slam first. And that had always been Murray's number one priority and it still is.

I know many Murray fans (mainly the Brit fans) who are very keen on Andy getting No. 1 as well and I feel he'll get that one one day as well if he keeps on piling titles especially Majors, but I am not one of them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:14:03 AM by Emma »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »
Ask the likes of Tsonga or Berdcyh or Cilic and see what they want at this point of their career. Do they rather be No. 1 or win a Slam first. Priority is everything. Just because you prioritize whatever doesn't mean that's my priority as well.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »
Everyone wants to be #1. 

Everyone can want anything they want but no likely they are going to get it unless you are talking about a loser who can't differentiate the two. It's not a La La land we live in. The realistic goal is the one that is achievable. Murray could have been like Wozniacki and accumulated as many titles as he wanted and that would have taken him to the No. 1 position as well - just like Rios was for 6 months or so, but the ultimate goal or the real goal for anyone is to win a Slam first. And that had always been Murray's number one priority and it still is.

I know many Murray fans (mainly the Brit fans) who are very keen on Andy getting No. 1 as well and I feel he'll get that one one day as well if he keeps on piling titles especially Majors, but I am not one of them.

He could get there but goals have different priority.

Fed once said he didn't worry about ranking and that will take care of itself.

Of course he wanted to be #1, everybody does but it doesn't help if the intermediate goals are bypassed.

The intermediate goals are needed, they can be attained which builds confidence.
They are stepping stones.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
Ask the likes of Tsonga or Berdcyh or Cilic and see what they want at this point of their career. Do they rather be No. 1 or win a Slam first. Priority is everything. Just because you prioritize whatever doesn't mean that's my priority as well.

Slam, it's a one shot deal.

These days a slam is needed for #1 and a very good showing most other places.

Being #1 is harder than a slam today IMO.