Author Topic: Has Tennis4You given up the fight?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Has Tennis4You given up the fight?
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
Everything should work out well with the new chat section.

There are some good posters here and then some who come around less often.

CD could come back, he had some off days but really wanted only to do the right thing to be truthful.

I'd like to see Slashers ranking page moved to general tennis discussions, it would make sense as posters would see it readily and access it when needed during discussions.

Such a fine thread should have an easily accessable area where everyone could find it.

Right now it's somewhat buried. No one wears a diamond with a paper bag around it.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »
You are always kind Dallas  :king:

And Alex said many more bad things that you missed, but I guess water under the bridge since there are no more threads to 'witness' otherwise.

Ofc we don't all agree on tennis subject but that should be completely irrelevant when discussing it with people. I can't hate Emma for liking Murray for example LOL
Maybe some posters are really thick if they get mad at you for 'attacking/criticizing' their favorite players.

Note to them, don't take it personal because its so childish.
I can't hate someone personally just because someone hates Haas or any other players I like.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:37:03 AM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
OW - You are more than welcome to create any kind of chat thread you like.  :)

To answer the other questions.  I did put a 3 day ban on Alex.  I would have been more harsh on a newbie or someone that constantly brings trouble, but we have never had any issues with Alex (that I can remember).  Alex has been here since the stone ages.  It says 2007 on his account but I wonder if that is just the date we moved to the new forum system.  He is a good dude, but yes, if he is causing problems I need to take action.  If he continues then we really have an issue, but  don't see that happening.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »

To answer the other questions.  I did put a 3 day ban on Alex.  I would have been more harsh on a newbie or someone that constantly brings trouble, but we have never had any issues with Alex (that I can remember).  Alex has been here since the stone ages.  It says 2007 on his account but I wonder if that is just the date we moved to the new forum system.  He is a good dude, but yes, if he is causing problems I need to take action.  If he continues then we really have an issue, but  don't see that happening.

Okay. Everything will work out  :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
Seriously guys. what did I do that was so bad? Do you realize how provoked I was, no you don't.

And all this castle thing, was just a chit chat thing. It's very easy to open up another chit chat thread.

If I'm banned btw, someone please let me know. So far I can still post. If you don't know me after all of these years than it's too bad.

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »
Seriously guys. what did I do that was so bad? Do you realize how provoked I was, no you don't.

And all this castle thing, was just a chit chat thing. It's very easy to open up another chit chat thread.

If I'm banned btw, someone please let me know. So far I can still post. If you don't know me after all of these years than it's too bad.

Seriously Alex. Only a child is provoked. An adult is able to not revert to childish offending comments when people go over the line. No matter the condition, no matter the situation, your friends would have understood you and talked it out with you. Yet, you have proven rule number 1 of the internet may be true sometimes: trust no one.

That castle thingy was more than you realize. It had more than 35000 posts and it meant a lot to some people (obviously not to you too). It's a bit of history, a piece of this forum, no matter who started it.

And yeah, how come he can post, folks? Scott?

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »

I'm not causing any problems. You should know me by now. Think about it. I should probably PM you. People stop trying to crucify me, seriously. What the heck is 3 day ban do for you? I'm not a child.

Scott, if you want me to go, just let me know bud.

Herc is just being silly. give us more drama, like really.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »

To be completely honest I didn't see any posts that provoked you. You mentioned she pm'ed you but we can't see it.
Ffor past few days we only saw your rampage on emma, herc and others. Almost no other post but cursing and swearing at them.
And that was at any other thread. Either on-topic or off-topic.
 I haven't heard any positive thing from you for a few days now, and thats the saddest thing.
And that's me being honest and realistic as your old friend. Some things you said to Emma about race and her background how she wants to be something she's not etc, weren't cool at all. You never cursed so much and I know you for many years Alex.

You even said that old Alex is gone and you failed to reply to my sincere PM.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »

Seriously Alex. Only a child is provoked. An adult is able to not revert to childish offending comments when people go over the line. No matter the condition, no matter the situation, your friends would have understood you and talked it out with you. Yet, you have proven rule number 1 of the internet may be true sometimes: trust no one.

That castle thingy was more than you realize. It had more than 35000 posts and it meant a lot to some people (obviously not to you too). It's a bit of history, a piece of this forum, no matter who started it.

Slash, for God's sake it was just a chit chat thread. I mean, open a new one if you wish. It's not a big deal. People were able to post there when bored, after work etc.

Why shouldn't I be able to post? Please let me know?

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Herc might be too sentimental for things like this, but why did he leave, do you ask yourself that?

And you have been friends with him for so many years. You went on rampage and he's gone. See the problem.
It was never about  chit chat threads, it was about keeping your friends.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:51:36 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »

Unclear why you can post Alex.  I set the ban last night for 3 days.  The ban system here is not my favorite.
Scott Baker

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:27 AM »
Why shouldn't I be able to post? Please let me know?

See, that's another mistake CD made in his rash decision processing. He deleted most of the 'evidence'. Sure, you did nothing, go ahead and post. This is all typical to childish behavior as well. Lack of responsibility. I did nothing, why should I be punished, all part of the game.

Be honest with yourself and tell us how we can help you before you offend part of the community. I for once liked you before I saw some of the hate and trolling you were spilling around in the now-deleted-section. Internet hurts and anyone not taking it seriously will get over anything eventually. I am really sorry if no one was able to understand you and actually help you before you went out full racist. :(

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »
All is good and I say we move past it.  We all like Alex, it was hopefully just a bad spell.  Really hoping he joins us again in a few days.  I tried a different method for a ban and also asked the support forum for guidance. 
Scott Baker

Offline Connor

• Tennis Player
  • A pure Murray fan.
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »
Alex, I myself have had difficulties with Emma on other forums. But I never reverted to racism to make her feel worthless. I know she can 'throw you in the pan' a little because she is naturally a very candid individual. I have told her where to stick it a few times :lol:.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
I personally prefer ditching "the castle" and going with "The Tennis Lounge".
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Hi all,

My apologies for not being able to be here at the crucial time to help calm things down. As I said to some others in PM's, I was quite busy the last few days and did not have time to review all that was happening.  I had seen some of the posts that Alex had posted, and was trying to review the history to see what may have provoked him, but I got sidetracked by life. It happens, as I think some of you mentioned.  Anyway, from what I had seen, Clay Death was reacting to those posts from Alex that were over the top, and I believe CD was trying to do the right thing by notifying Scott and Dallas.  Unfortunately, I wasn't around to try and calm CD down. 

The next thing I knew this morning is that all of the Castle volumes were gone.  I was pretty much in shock.  Yes, some of what is in there is "just chit-chat", but there are a lot of good things in there as well.  Many people give their analysis, opinions, and discuss many things.  It's a lot of posts for the website to lose.  We had what, over 17 volumes, where most of them were 2000 posts/volume, and recently some of them were more. I think the last volume was close to 4000 posts.  A lot of people contributed the Castle, so it's also a shame for those posts to be gone in one fell swoop.

It's a shame really, CD was upset, and obviously overreacted to what was going on.  I guess because there was no response from the various powers that be, he felt like he was getting no support.  Still, he should have waited a bit. Not everyone is here 24/7 or even every day.
But deleting entire threads is not excusable.  I can understand editing or deleting offensive portions of posts, but not entire threads.

I would like to think those threads are recoverable.  Usually databases and such thing as forums are backed up, if not everyday, at a minimum of once/week.   Scott, are you telling us that this forum's data is not backed up at all?  If something happened to the data, like a drive crash, that all would be lost?    If you have a good backup, it's possible that the data can be restored.

As far as Alex goes, he has always been a good guy.  I didn't know what to think seeing some of his recent posts I saw.  I thought that either perhaps someone had hijacked his account, or that he was reacting angrily to something someone said, or was trying to stir the pot to get more reaction from people but went overboard, or that possibly he was very upset due to his illness and the result of Wimbledon.  Anyway, I didn't have time to review everything that was said before the threads were deleted.  Alex, if it is you, I hope whatever it is that drove you to go over the top is being taken care of.

Also, I am no longer a moderator in this section.  I guess that's what happens when you don't react quickly enough to a situation like this.  Oh well.  I said that I would not always have time to be here.  That's life.

I hope the Castle can be revived.  Thanks.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »
I say! This explains why threads has disappeared. I missed the action as it happened. CD left and deleted 35000 posts going out? All on account of trolling from Alex? Quite bewildering.
I support the notion of a new chat thread, preferably named something else as I feel the Castle "franchise" is taken. "The Tennis Lounge" sounds perfectly fine to me. But most anything would do.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »
I would like to think those threads are recoverable.  Usually databases and such thing as forums are backed up, if not everyday, at a minimum of once/week.   Scott, are you telling us that this forum's data is not backed up at all?  If something happened to the data, like a drive crash, that all would be lost?    If you have a good backup, it's possible that the data can be restored.

It maybe that there is a backup, but Scott is a super-busy parent and the last item on his priority list is restoring the 17 Castle threads. Let them remain in the graveyard and let's move on. Personally I think Clay Death acted like a petulant child when he didn't get his way in 15 seconds. I thin he is mentally unstable and good riddance to bad rubbish.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2013, 01:36:54 PM »
I say! This explains why threads has disappeared. I missed the action as it happened. CD left and deleted 35000 posts going out? All on account of trolling from Alex? Quite bewildering.
I support the notion of a new chat thread, preferably named something else as I feel the Castle "franchise" is taken. "The Tennis Lounge" sounds perfectly fine to me. But most anything would do.

So we have a 2nd motion on "The Tennis Lounge".

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »

Recovering is always possible, but doing it is hard labor when it comes to small pieces. We could have errors too on trying to restore 17 threads instead of larger portions of the forum, like newer posts made between last night and now disappearing. You can never be sure. Sure, a drive crash can cause damage, but one can restore the entire forum from a specific time with a backup, there would be no refitting of small pieces back where they belong, just the whole thing at once (this is not hard).

I am okay with whatever name you come up for a new chat thread.