Author Topic: Has Tennis4You given up the fight?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: Has Tennis4You given up the fight?
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »
I would like to think those threads are recoverable.  Usually databases and such thing as forums are backed up, if not everyday, at a minimum of once/week.   Scott, are you telling us that this forum's data is not backed up at all?  If something happened to the data, like a drive crash, that all would be lost?    If you have a good backup, it's possible that the data can be restored.

It maybe that there is a backup, but Scott is a super-busy parent and the last item on his priority list is restoring the 17 Castle threads. Let them remain in the graveyard and let's move on. Personally I think Clay Death acted like a petulant child when he didn't get his way in 15 seconds. I thin he is mentally unstable and good riddance to bad rubbish.

I don't think it is rocket science, but yes, one has to have a bit of time, knowledge, and motivation to do it. 
It's 40,000 posts on his site.  How do we know it's the last item on his priority list?

It seems like many here were/are looking for any excuse to dump the Castle and re-invent it in their own image. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Nope, I shared your enthusiasm about the Castle, and if I were Scott I would trust you by giving you mod thing if you'd accept it.
You have always been a top class contributor to this forum  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Connor

• Tennis Player
  • A pure Murray fan.
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
I would happily put myself forward, but because I haven't been around much and haven't posted, I wouldn't be angry if you discounted me. :)

Forward for what position? Chat Mod or Global Mod?

Chat Mod.

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
Nope, I shared your enthusiasm about the Castle, and if I were Scott I would trust you by giving you mod thing if you'd accept it.

Well, if you refuse the position proposed by me for your experience, I second John, for the position, given his unique diplomatic talent. Although, he does have the same problem as you and me, not too much free time. :Confused:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »

Well, if you refuse the position proposed by me for your experience, I second John, for the position, given his unique diplomatic talent. Although, he does have the same problem as you and me, not too much free time. :Confused:

Yeah we'll figure something out.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
I don't think there was anything preventing people from contributing more than 1% (probably not very accurate) to the Castle...

From what I saw, CD was trying to attract people to the forum in the best way he knew how.
What he did may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but nobody prevented anyone else from contributing "worthy" posts.

Each person can help give to and shape the site and its threads if they have the will and the time. It's only a question of degree.

Frustration can eat away at the best of us.  I would not be so harsh to make judgements.

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:22:44 PM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
I would like to think those threads are recoverable.  Usually databases and such thing as forums are backed up, if not everyday, at a minimum of once/week.   Scott, are you telling us that this forum's data is not backed up at all?  If something happened to the data, like a drive crash, that all would be lost?    If you have a good backup, it's possible that the data can be restored.

It maybe that there is a backup, but Scott is a super-busy parent and the last item on his priority list is restoring the 17 Castle threads. Let them remain in the graveyard and let's move on. Personally I think Clay Death acted like a petulant child when he didn't get his way in 15 seconds. I thin he is mentally unstable and good riddance to bad rubbish.

I don't think it is rocket science, but yes, one has to have a bit of time, knowledge, and motivation to do it. 
It's 40,000 posts on his site.  How do we know it's the last item on his priority list?

It seems like many here were/are looking for any excuse to dump the Castle and re-invent it in their own image. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Thanks guys. 

And yes, my free time varies.  So I might not be acceptable. 
Normally there is not really much for moderators to do here.  But as we've seen, there is that small percentage of the time when it helps to be very responsive.   And yes, with all the time zones represented, it would be ideal to have at least 2 mods from the major posting regions

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Hi all,

My apologies for not being able to be here at the crucial time to help calm things down. As I said to some others in PM's, I was quite busy the last few days and did not have time to review all that was happening.  I had seen some of the posts that Alex had posted, and was trying to review the history to see what may have provoked him, but I got sidetracked by life. It happens, as I think some of you mentioned.  Anyway, from what I had seen, Clay Death was reacting to those posts from Alex that were over the top, and I believe CD was trying to do the right thing by notifying Scott and Dallas.  Unfortunately, I wasn't around to try and calm CD down. 

The next thing I knew this morning is that all of the Castle volumes were gone.  I was pretty much in shock.  Yes, some of what is in there is "just chit-chat", but there are a lot of good things in there as well.  Many people give their analysis, opinions, and discuss many things.  It's a lot of posts for the website to lose.  We had what, over 17 volumes, where most of them were 2000 posts/volume, and recently some of them were more. I think the last volume was close to 4000 posts.  A lot of people contributed the Castle, so it's also a shame for those posts to be gone in one fell swoop.

It's a shame really, CD was upset, and obviously overreacted to what was going on.  I guess because there was no response from the various powers that be, he felt like he was getting no support.  Still, he should have waited a bit. Not everyone is here 24/7 or even every day.
But deleting entire threads is not excusable.  I can understand editing or deleting offensive portions of posts, but not entire threads.

As far as Alex goes, he has always been a good guy.  I didn't know what to think seeing some of his recent posts I saw.  I thought that either perhaps someone had hijacked his account, or that he was reacting angrily to something someone said, or was trying to stir the pot to get more reaction from people but went overboard, or that possibly he was very upset due to his illness and the result of Wimbledon.  Anyway, I didn't have time to review everything that was said before the threads were deleted.  Alex, if it is you, I hope whatever it is that drove you to go over the top is being taken care of.

Also, I am no longer a moderator in this section.  I guess that's what happens when you don't react quickly enough to a situation like this.  Oh well.  I said that I would not always have time to be here.  That's life.

I hope the Castle can be revived.  Thanks.

Respectfully,
masterclass

MC,

To address two items:

1.  The forum has not been backed up in quite some time.  It has actually been so long that I forget how.  I need to get back into that routine.  I used to do it about once every other week. 

2.  When I saw all castle threads were missing I blitzed all moderators from the thread just for safety.  I was not sure what was happening at the time, and then not sure if we were gonna merge the forum with the others so I have not updated it back yet.  If you are still interested in being a moderator I would still like to keep you as one.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »
Personally I found the Castle to be 99% a waste of time and bandwidth. Mostly Clay Death spamming his stupid photoshop images(99% of which were in poor taste and low talent).

So, let's say you hated meatballs and a stranger invites you in his home, gives you every nice treatment possible, talks to you nicely, listens to you all day and gives you moral support, but gives you to eat meatballs, do you spit them in his face and throw him out of his house?

This was T4U for CD, FedFanForever, he treated it like his home, and us like family. Yes, he was a great fan of his photoshop images, which he shared with everyone who wanted them. Not everyone appreciated them, that's for sure, but he was being kind to everyone back. His only sin in all this matter was that he was too impatient and too rash to delete so many posts. Although I didn't like all his artwork (I prefer my own artwork all the time), I respect the work he always put into it because it was for everyone to feel better. It was his view, his image on how to share happiness.

And like John said above, everyone else was and is free to contribute here however they like. I contributed the Rankings freely, and despite still posting them along with my rankings in the open era project on MTF, I have a soft spot for this community because how I feel most people are around here. Forgiving, not vengeful.

I for one don't yet feel so ready to forget about CD. Not until I exhausted every opportunity to convince him to come back.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:08:14 PM by Slasher1985 »

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
Hi all,

My apologies for not being able to be here at the crucial time to help calm things down. As I said to some others in PM's, I was quite busy the last few days and did not have time to review all that was happening.  I had seen some of the posts that Alex had posted, and was trying to review the history to see what may have provoked him, but I got sidetracked by life. It happens, as I think some of you mentioned.  Anyway, from what I had seen, Clay Death was reacting to those posts from Alex that were over the top, and I believe CD was trying to do the right thing by notifying Scott and Dallas.  Unfortunately, I wasn't around to try and calm CD down. 

The next thing I knew this morning is that all of the Castle volumes were gone.  I was pretty much in shock.  Yes, some of what is in there is "just chit-chat", but there are a lot of good things in there as well.  Many people give their analysis, opinions, and discuss many things.  It's a lot of posts for the website to lose.  We had what, over 17 volumes, where most of them were 2000 posts/volume, and recently some of them were more. I think the last volume was close to 4000 posts.  A lot of people contributed the Castle, so it's also a shame for those posts to be gone in one fell swoop.

It's a shame really, CD was upset, and obviously overreacted to what was going on.  I guess because there was no response from the various powers that be, he felt like he was getting no support.  Still, he should have waited a bit. Not everyone is here 24/7 or even every day.
But deleting entire threads is not excusable.  I can understand editing or deleting offensive portions of posts, but not entire threads.

As far as Alex goes, he has always been a good guy.  I didn't know what to think seeing some of his recent posts I saw.  I thought that either perhaps someone had hijacked his account, or that he was reacting angrily to something someone said, or was trying to stir the pot to get more reaction from people but went overboard, or that possibly he was very upset due to his illness and the result of Wimbledon.  Anyway, I didn't have time to review everything that was said before the threads were deleted.  Alex, if it is you, I hope whatever it is that drove you to go over the top is being taken care of.

Also, I am no longer a moderator in this section.  I guess that's what happens when you don't react quickly enough to a situation like this.  Oh well.  I said that I would not always have time to be here.  That's life.

Respectfully,
masterclass

MC,

To address two items:

1.  The forum has not been backed up in quite some time.  It has actually been so long that I forget how.  I need to get back into that routine.  I used to do it about once every other week. 

2.  When I saw all castle threads were missing I blitzed all moderators from the thread just for safety.  I was not sure what was happening at the time, and then not sure if we were gonna merge the forum with the others so I have not updated it back yet.  If you are still interested in being a moderator I would still like to keep you as one.

Understood. Thanks for explaining.   
I don't mind being a moderator, but as I originally said, I can't always be here, and I feel badly I wasn't available when this all happened.   But if that is good enough than sure, I'll stay on.  Thanks Scott. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »
I for one don't yet feel so ready to forget about CD. Not until I exhausted every opportunity to convince him to come back.

I second this. I have nothing to say against CD. His artwork was not for me, but I have never expected everything on a forum to be exactly to my taste so I didn't let it bother me - and I quite frankly admired him for his work on it. As I admired his welcoming tone, his acceptance of newcomers, his attempts to make them feel right at home from the very start. I hope he will be back. And if not, I hope he will be happy somewhere else.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
Hi all,

Respectfully,
masterclass

MC,

To address two items:

Understood. Thanks for explaining.   
I don't mind being a moderator, but as I originally said, I can't always be here, and I feel badly I wasn't available when this all happened.   But if that is good enough than sure, I'll stay on.  Thanks Scott. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

I will reinstate as a moderator.  And I do not expect people to always be here, just moderate anything you see when you are here, that is all I can ask.  I would have to pay people to be here all day.  And T4U does all of this for nooooooooooo monies.  :)

Thanks bro!
Scott Baker

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
Oops, I didn't know there was to be a "Tennis Lounge" Chat Thread. Anyone wants to create that can create it too  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
Hurc come back mate,pm me.
cheers

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:16 AM »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
Sad to see he reacted so rash really. :(

He was saying you could recover the deleted posts if you wanted, that he didn't really delete them.

IMO, you can do as you please with this entire section. Move chat threads to non-tennis, but please remember to move rankings forum to tennis. I really don't know how it got placed in chat to begin with. :rofl_2:

I don't know, let's see what users think. Sad to see CD gave up so easily. It only took one immense troll. :(

sorry to know that cd called you a coward, he is just too implusive and impatience, i hope you can forgive him as sometimes he behaves like a kid ://

No need to forgive, all is good on my front.  I wish he would not have deleted posts as that affects so many more people than just himself.  He is still welcome here (I doubt he will be back) but not as a moderator.  I could not trust him with the power to delete posts again.

I bet if I was at TF right now he is trying his best to slaughter T4U.

Scott, you are very kind and forgiving.  I am not on cd's side this time even though i have known him for more than 5 years since we first met in mtf.  Alex is not behaving right but he could handle this more gracefully .......

It's a shame, but it is what it is.  I love this forum, I wish I had more time to hang out here.  I need to hire more people so work does not soak up every bit of time.  For 5 days straight my 5 year old daughter asked me to play legos with her after work.   Sadly for me work extends until I go to bed.  Finally last night, after 5 nights of her asking I got to sit down and play legos with her.  Clearly I should have checked the forum instead.   :)~
Next time, don't wait so long.
She'll be gone before you know it.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
Sad to see he reacted so rash really. :(

He was saying you could recover the deleted posts if you wanted, that he didn't really delete them.

IMO, you can do as you please with this entire section. Move chat threads to non-tennis, but please remember to move rankings forum to tennis. I really don't know how it got placed in chat to begin with. :rofl_2:

I don't know, let's see what users think. Sad to see CD gave up so easily. It only took one immense troll. :(

sorry to know that cd called you a coward, he is just too implusive and impatience, i hope you can forgive him as sometimes he behaves like a kid ://

No need to forgive, all is good on my front.  I wish he would not have deleted posts as that affects so many more people than just himself.  He is still welcome here (I doubt he will be back) but not as a moderator.  I could not trust him with the power to delete posts again.

I bet if I was at TF right now he is trying his best to slaughter T4U.

Scott, you are very kind and forgiving.  I am not on cd's side this time even though i have known him for more than 5 years since we first met in mtf.  Alex is not behaving right but he could handle this more gracefully .......

It's a shame, but it is what it is.  I love this forum, I wish I had more time to hang out here.  I need to hire more people so work does not soak up every bit of time.  For 5 days straight my 5 year old daughter asked me to play legos with her after work.   Sadly for me work extends until I go to bed.  Finally last night, after 5 nights of her asking I got to sit down and play legos with her.  Clearly I should have checked the forum instead.   :)~
Next time, don't wait so long.
She'll be gone before you know it.

I hear ya knocking bro!!!
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
Time for some 'critical thinking'-

Al Jackson Lactose Intolerance.m4v
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
I think Hurc should be reinstated as mod on here.I don't forget all the work he's done for many from sig/pics & so on.If you move board pm the link before hand please Hurc.
cheers

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
I think Hurc should be reinstated as mod on here.I don't forget all the work he's done for many from sig/pics & so on.If you move board pm the link before hand please Hurc.
cheers

LOL - that will NEVER happen. He's burned his bridges.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline EnriqueIG8

• Tennis God
  • Tots Units Fem Força
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »
Well at least T4U doesn't lack in the drama department.

Sheeezzz, reading these threads kept me entertained for a couple of minutes.
Fill In The Draw @ T4U
Ranking: #1 (High: #1)
Titles: 7 [Australian Open, Auckland, Zagreb, San Jose, Marseille, Delray Beach & MS Monte Carlo]