Author Topic: ~* Ye Olde Village *~ Volume 1 "A New Beginning"  (Read 34458 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: ~* Ye Olde Village *~ Volume 1 "A New Beginning"
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:22 AM »
Sorry, but I saw that and had to respond. Going since 1999 doesn't mean much considering you get such limited activity here. It's dead for any decent standards. With all due respect, Scott, this place won't grow without advertising. Try typing "men's tennis" into Google. MTF comes up on the first page. Have fun searching through hundreds of pages looking for T4U. I understand you may not want to spend money on this forum, but then don't claim that this forum is alive because it isn't.

Maybe a better way to say it is that T4U is in a coma, a very deep coma.

On a sidenote, I would have never found this forum if I wasn't told about it, and I bet 95% of posters here would say the same. You can't just drag people from other forums here, I think that's been proven.

About google searches, In the main tennis page you need plenty of threads on current subjects.
These show up on google.

Anyways, it's good enough for me.  :king:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
Sorry, but I saw that and had to respond. Going since 1999 doesn't mean much considering you get such limited activity here. It's dead for any decent standards. With all due respect, Scott, this place won't grow without advertising. Try typing "men's tennis" into Google. MTF comes up on the first page. Have fun searching through hundreds of pages looking for T4U. I understand you may not want to spend money on this forum, but then don't claim that this forum is alive because it isn't.

On a sidenote, I would have never found this forum if I wasn't told about it, and I bet 95% of posters here would say the same. You can't just drag people from other forums here, I think that's been proven.

Or try this yo..

Try typing in the following in Google:
  • Instructional Tennis
  • Tennis Lessons
Both will pull up Tennis4you.com on the first page.  See, the problem with your theory is that you probably thought this forum is the main part of the site, this is just a side note to the main site.  The forum is fun, I enjoy my friends here and I like seeing the forum active.  I do not need 10,000 posts per day to feel like we have an active forum.  My passion is to help people play better tennis.  In 1999 when I created the forum it was to help others play better tennis, it however, took another form.
The site is not for monetary gain, I do it for free, the advertising covers the hosting costs and other associated costs.  I love helping people play better tennis.  I hope the forum does well, but realistically if the forum was shut down today, Tennis4you.com would be as strong as ever and continue to have one of the world's largest databases of Lessons and Drills. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »
Not necessarily, because the homepage of MTF shows up in the results, not specific threads. I know you can actually pay a fee to have your site pop up first on Google when you search certain things.

It may be good enough for you, but not others apparently ^.^
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
Re: Re: ~* Ye Olde Village *~ Volume 1 "A New Beginning"
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »

Or try this yo..

• Instructional Tennis
  • Tennis Lessons
Both will pull up Tennis4you.com on the first page.  See, the problem with your theory is that you probably thought this forum is the main part of the site, this is just a side note to the main site.  The forum is fun, I enjoy my friends here and I like seeing the forum active.  I do not need 10,000 posts per day to feel like we have an active forum.  My passion is to help people play better tennis.  In 1999 when I created the forum it was to help others play better tennis, it however, took another form.
The site is not for monetary gain, I do it for free, the advertising covers the hosting costs and other associated costs.  I love helping people play better tennis.  I hope the forum does well, but realistically if the forum was shut down today, Tennis4you.com would be as strong as ever and continue to have one of the world's largest databases of Lessons and Drills.

People won't look up tennis instruction on Google, though! If I ever need help with my game, I use YouTube. Do you know of anyone who actually uses that part of the site? I understand you couldn't give a hoot about the forum, but why have people try to salvage it? It's kind of a waste, maybe you should close it :dunno:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »

Or try this yo..

• Instructional Tennis
  • Tennis Lessons

People won't look up tennis instruction on Google, though! If I ever need help with my game, I use YouTube. Do you know of anyone who actually uses that part of the site? I understand you couldn't give a hoot about the forum, but why have people try to salvage it? It's kind of a waste, maybe you should close it :dunno:

Well now you are putting words in my mouth.

I get a handful of emails from people each week about their game, info for the site etc.  Obviously I do not know everyone who goes there.  I can see the counter and page views, it gets healthy traffic.  Thanks for trying to s**t on it though.
Scott Baker

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »
Not necessarily, because the homepage of MTF shows up in the results, not specific threads. I know you can actually pay a fee to have your site pop up first on Google when you search certain things.

I found this place through google. I was looking for tennis instruction.

Then moved around and found the main forum.

But what is the point? Everyone knows it's been slow for awhile so nothing new there.

You ran some good games BTW, so thanks for that.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »

I found this place through google. I was looking for tennis instruction.

Then moved around and found the main forum.

But what is the point? Everyone knows it's been slow for awhile so nothing new there.

You ran some good games BTW, so thanks for that.

I love the forum.  If it maintains like this for the next 30 years I will be perfectly happy with that.  If it grows, then rock on.
Scott Baker

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »

The problem is totally different, there should have been more global mods with the power to ban.... a normal person with good judgement like masterclass for example, you can actually drag people here but they leave in disgust when psychos like SdG and Alex start their rampage cause they don't feel safe here.... we were working like a bunch of ants to eliminate the SdG problem but it was still tot pathetic we had to struggle like a bunch of headless chicken cause there was no real power in anyone's hands except ....

in Dallas' hands who's tot incompetent and not mod material imo.... from what i've heard she was watching Alex's rampage who kept insulting Emma with selected racist and other remarks like "Stupid f**king b**ch" and to that Dallas' response was "did you take your meds alex" or what, i don't eat the "i'm a kind mod" stuff, when someone's destroying the peace of the forum consistently and especially in the manner of Alex you ban his ass, also his fake cancer stories about his mom's and his own cancer, tot schizo lunatic, ofc he's not doing it when Scott is online and is that an excuse, he should have been permabanned......

all dallas is good for is trolling the match thread section, closing WWW threads which could also be useful for gamblers for example, cause they can see how people predict the set scores etc.... and good old dallas closes and trolls the threads with bs like "rafa is going to win the rest of his matches easily, no need for this thread" stupidity and incompetence, this woman should have never been mod anywhere.......

CD and others, me included put hours of work into building the chat section (no one asked us it's true so we can stfu and yes we were stupid to waste energy on it) of course he was also frustrated by this situation which had been going on for long, it wasn't a single troll who "took the castle down" it was the lack of proper support sry but that's the truth, it would have taken only a competent global mod with the power to ban to fix all the problems......

A good indicator of the state of things here is that one of Alex's many troll threads named "Herc" is still not deleted....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:32:28 AM by Nekro t4u »

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
Never seen you cuss, Scott. I might be pissing you off, though my intentions aren't to provoke you. My point has been made, it's kind of mean to have people spend a lot  the forum trying to expand it. Can you at least admit that?

@swish- Well you're one of the 5% I mentioned. The games were indeed fun until people stopped playing and I realized wouldn't grow at all.

@nekro- I said that a long time ago (that mods should have more power) and CD said he didn't want T4U to end up with MTF's moderation. :dunno:

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2013, 07:59:17 AM »
It's not that Dallas is incompetent at all IMO, but this forum definitely needs a second global Mod on a different timezone. Hope you can agree with that, Scott. :)

The traffic is okay if you think it's okay. Being free of expenses, if it generates a modest traffic, it's quite good. You know better what your goals with the tennis site are, and I know for sure that the forum is less important than the site itself when it comes to traffic. People who find the site useful, will find the forum useful. Sure, there are those of us who came here invited, but I'm dead tired of searching for new forums, constantly making accounts looking for the perfect forum. For CD, this was the perfect forum until it wasn't. I have accounts on 4 different tennis forums, and this number will stay this way: romanian forum, MTF, TF and T4U. I have live rankings running on 3 of these sites, and I'm gonna make myself a WTA-equivalent of the sig I have for TF. But no more. I'm happy with the forums I frequent. ;-()
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:00:17 AM by Slasher1985 »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »

The problem is totally different, there should have been more global mods with the power to ban.... a normal person with good judgement like masterclass for example, you can actually drag people here but they leave in disgust when psychos like SdG and Alex start their rampage cause they don't feel safe here.... we were working like a bunch of ants to eliminate the SdG problem but it was still tot pathetic we had to struggle like a bunch of headless chicken cause there was no real power in anyone's hands except ....

in Dallas' hand's who's tot incompetent and not mod material imo.... from what i've heard she was watching Alex's rampage who kept insulting Emma with selected racist and other remarks like "Stupid f**king b**ch" and to that Dallas' response was "did you take your meds alex" or what, i don't eat the "i'm a kind mod" stuff, when someone's destroying the peace of the forum consistenetly and especially in the manner of Alex you ban his ass, also his fake cancer stories about his mom's and his own cancer, tot schizo lunatic, ofc he's not doing it when Scott is online and is that an excuse, he should have been permabanned......

all dallas is good for is trolling the match thread section, closing WWW threads which could also be useful for gamblers for example, cause they can see how people predict the set scores etc.... and good old dallas closes and trolls the threads with bs like "rafa is going to win the rest of his matches easily, no need for this thread" stupidity and incompetence, this woman should have never been mod anywhere.......

CD and others, me included put hours of work into building the chat section (no one asked us it's true so we can stfu and yes we were stupid to waste energy on it) of course he was also frustrated by this situation which had been going on for long, it wasn't a single troll who "took the castle down" it was the lack of proper support sry but that's the truth, it would have taken only a competent global mod with the power to ban to fix all the problems......

Some good points.
But then CD starts lying about posters, and deletes 30,000 posts and becomes completely unstabe.
So with a loser mod like that and the trouble we had bad things are going to happen.

CD should have been banned long ago after the Start the Game fiasco, at least for awhile.

People saw how CD reacted and left the forum, it wasn't because of STG. Those kind of things have happened a few times and no one left, if the mod goes on a rampage people will leave.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
Never seen you cuss, Scott. I might be pissing you off, though my intentions aren't to provoke you. My point has been made, it's kind of mean to have people spend a lot  the forum trying to expand it. Can you at least admit that?

@swish- Well you're one of the 5% I mentioned. The games were indeed fun until people stopped playing and I realized wouldn't grow at all.

@nekro- I said that a long time ago (that mods should have more power) and CD said he didn't want T4U to end up with MTF's moderation. :dunno:

I was very pleased on the job you did there, updated all the time but I also knew you wanted more people.

And that at summer end you said you would be busy with school.

So I never objected to you ending the game, not that it would do any good anyway.

This whole thing is over.
CD did try hard, the best he knew how to so I give him credit for that.

Well, no ones perfect and I shouldn't complain about things but sometimes I get on a roll.  :king:

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »
Some good points.
But then CD starts lying about posters, and deletes 30,000 posts and becomes completely unstabe.
So with a loser mod like that and the trouble we had bad things are going to happen.

CD should have been banned long ago after the Start the Game fiasco, at least for awhile.

People saw how CD reacted and left the forum, it wasn't because of STG. Those kind of things have happened a few times and no one left, if the mod goes on a rampage people will leave.
That's not true, apart from masterclass and me, CD was the only person who tried to do anything about the troll at all.....  SdG was the one who started to insult other posters, he was making the trouble for days, he was stirring s**t through pms too, among others he sent me your and Freaky's pms too in a failed attempt to turn me against CD too........ ofc now you're still attacking CD and calling him names, not surprising at all....... SdG was the one who started troll threads like now Alex did it's obvious who's the troll and who's not however you're trying to twist things......

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »
It's not that Dallas is incompetent at all IMO, but this forum definitely needs a second global Mod on a different timezone. Hope you can agree with that, Scott. :)

The traffic is okay if you think it's okay. Being free of expenses, if it generates a modest traffic, it's quite good. You know better what your goals with the tennis site are, and I know for sure that the forum is less important than the site itself when it comes to traffic. People who find the site useful, will find the forum useful. Sure, there are those of us who came here invited, but I'm dead tired of searching for new forums, constantly making accounts looking for the perfect forum. For CD, this was the perfect forum until it wasn't. I have accounts on 4 different tennis forums, and this number will stay this way: romanian forum, MTF, TF and T4U. I have live rankings running on 3 of these sites, and I'm gonna make myself a WTA-equivalent of the sig I have for TF. But no more. I'm happy with the forums I frequent. ;-()

I agree with that, we had that until Chris decided he was spending too much time here and went cold turkey.  We are a forum with few issues so it wasn't a problem until the other day.  Don't understand why it took someone 4 days to notify me of an issue so bad he only waited 12 hours for me to respond before he nuked a large part of the forum.
Scott Baker

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »
When I came to this forum, it was absolutely great. Lots of activity in the Chat Threads, a variety of members mainly from MTF. We talked about everything including tennis and everyone was respectful to each other. Lots of cool pictures to look at. There were also games in the Game Threads, and many of the posters also contributed to the TD section with interesting stats and analysis. The match thread section also occasionally appeared. Great times

Now, it's slowly going downhill. After the Start da Game rampage, and the Alex rampage, many of the sensible posters here have left the site. There is absolutely no moderation to speak of, apart from CD's over-the-top death moderation. Yeah, I know, the mods are busy, but even when they are not busy they let blind insults go on all the time. The TD section at times turns to absolute trash. Just a string of Babolat insulting guys, and Alex saying random crap about Emma. The match threads section is irrelevant. The games section are gone, because no one wants to put that much time and effort into dealing with a forum like this.

Honestly, the only reason I'm still here is because of two or three threads :dunno:

Yeah, it would be great if this forum had more activity. But in order, for more people to come, it needs to fixed first.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
When I came to this forum, it was absolutely great. Lots of activity in the Chat Threads, a variety of members mainly from MTF. We talked about everything including tennis and everyone was respectful to each other. Lots of cool pictures to look at. There were also games in the Game Threads, and many of the posters also contributed to the TD section with interesting stats and analysis. The match thread section also occasionally appeared. Great times

Now, it's slowly going downhill. After the Start da Game rampage, and the Alex rampage, many of the sensible posters here have left the site. There is absolutely no moderation to speak of, apart from CD's over-the-top death moderation. Yeah, I know, the mods are busy, but even when they are not busy they let blind insults go on all the time. The TD section at times turns to absolute trash. Just a string of Babolat insulting guys, and Alex saying random crap about Emma. The match threads section is irrelevant. The games section are gone, because no one wants to put that much time and effort into dealing with a forum like this.

Honestly, the only reason I'm still here is because of two or three threads :dunno:

Yeah, it would be great if this forum had more activity. But in order, for more people to come, it needs to fixed first.

So one global moderator is what we need to fix the entire forum?  And we have people leaving from 1-2 people who got out of hand?  Global moderator is easy.  And we do deal with issues.  If we only attract people who leave when one person goes over the top, I should shut the forum down now.  It's a forum people...

This is a forum for the people.  I take a ton of requests and accommodate what I can, just ask Herc.  I can add a global moderator, but do I give another moderator the power to delete threads again?  Will I wake up one morning and find the forum to have a total post count of 0?
Scott Baker

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
Some good points.

That's not true, apart from masterclass and me, CD was the only person who tried to do anything about the troll at all.....  SdG was the one who started to insult other posters, he was making the trouble for days, he was stirring s**t through pms too, among others he sent me your and Freaky's pms too in a failed attempt to turn me against CD too........ ofc now you're still attacking CD and calling him names, not surprising at all....... SdG was the one who started troll threads like now Alex did it's obvious who's the troll and who's not however you're trying to twist things......

I attacked CD because he said publicly that I wanted to destroy the forum with STG.
These are not truths.

I only told him to take his time and for now ignore STG till something is done, that was it.
I discussed this with masterclass and he said CD was sorry for those actions.
So I forgot about the STG problem.

STG was wrong, no debating that. He should have been given a short ban to cool down IMO.

Discrediting other posters with lies is very bad though and worse than trolling.

It's past though now, will it do much good to go over it all again?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2013, 08:25:48 AM »
Some good points.

I attacked CD because he said publicly that I wanted to destroy the forum with STG.
These are not truths.

I only told him to take his time and for now ignore STG till something is done, that was it.

STG was wrong, no debating that. He should have been given a short ban to cool down IMO.

Discrediting other posters with lies is very bad though and worse than trolling.

Nope.  I let it go, told Herc he is still welcome here despite the worst thrashing to the forum in it's 14 year history.  They want me to be more harsh as an admin, maybe I need to be.
Scott Baker

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »

So one global moderator is what we need to fix the entire forum?  And we have people leaving from 1-2 people who got out of hand?  Global moderator is easy.  And we do deal with issues.  If we only attract people who leave when one person goes over the top, I should shut the forum down now.  It's a forum people...

This is a forum for the people.  I take a ton of requests and accommodate what I can, just ask Herc.  I can add a global moderator, but do I give another moderator the power to delete threads again?  Will I wake up one morning and find the forum to have a total post count of 0?
If that's the problem figure out again how to save backup copies of your database and then nothing bad can happen except you lose a few posts from the last backup but that's not a big deal and someone like MC surely wouldn't delete your board  :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »
Some good points.

These are not truths.

Nope.  I let it go, told Herc he is still welcome here despite the worst thrashing to the forum in it's 14 year history.  They want me to be more harsh as an admin, maybe I need to be.

It will gain little to go over all of this but we did learn some things, maybe a global moderator with banning powers would be good to stop problems quickly.

They could send you the details of the ban for review.

Herc has been back but still a little disgruntled.
He may have overreacted but no one can deny that he did try his best he knew how.