Author Topic: Uncle Toni: ‘I talk to Rafa during matches’  (Read 409 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Uncle Toni: ‘I talk to Rafa during matches’
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »
Uncle Toni: ‘I talk to Rafa during matches’
SUNDAY, JULY 14, 2013 /BY MATT CRONIN

Toni Nadal says in an interview that he does direct comments at his nephew Rafael during matches. On-court coaching is not allowed on the ATP Tour or at Grand Slams.

“I talk to Rafa during matches. I know that it’s not allowed but I think that at my age I have nothing to hide,” Toni told the Spanish journalist David Nadal.

Toni Nadal added that he sees little value in using sports psychologists, and added, “In the tennis world, those who are mentally stronger, are also technically stronger.”

Rafael Nadal, who again has been battling knee trouble, will return to the tour at the Canadian Open in Montreal during the first week of August.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UeLuVWRaiB4

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: Uncle Toni: ‘I talk to Rafa during matches’
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »
ok now, he admit his is coaching Nadal during the match. What the hell are you doing?
From my understanding, it is at least cost Djokovic two slams.

Online pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »
At my age I have nothing to hide?  :confused1: He's representing Rafael Nadal, and for Rafa Nadal, this stuff matters. It's nothing new, but such a shame.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
¿Cómo se comunican en la pista cuando Rafa está jugando?[/size]Hablando. Ya sé que no está muy permitido pero considero que a mi edad, tampoco tengo que esconderme. No tengo por sistema, hacer señas. Hablo lo que puedo hablar. Me extralimito un poco a lo permitido pero miro de hablar con él siempre que lo necesito.

Reading comprehension owns you.

The question is taken out of this interview:

http://www.menorca.info/menorca/472207/perder/ninguna/tragedia/asume/entrenar

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:   at the notion of costing Novak two slams

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »
Who can translate Spanish, please go ahead! Otherwise, I can only rely on english news. We Taiwanese only learn English and Japanese as foreign language.

By the way, we have discussed it before during the match when Nadal played. We actually show the picture of interaction between Toni and Nadal.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:03:40 PM by williamchung7 »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »
I don't get why Toni would admit it straight out. It's cheating.  :mad1:

Any type of input effects the outcome, players are meant to make their own decisions and monitor the match themselves.

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »

Any type of input effects the outcome, players are meant to make their own decisions and monitor the match themselves.

yeah, very disapointed with this. As much as I love Rafa, i won't support him blindly, he is certainly wrong this time, no excuse. :)>>>> ..-)

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »

yeah, very disapointed with this. As much as I love Rafa, i won't support him blindly, he is certainly wrong this time, no excuse. :) >>>> ..-)

It's uncle Toni causing all the trouble, he likes to talk on and off the court.

He really has caused Nadal some problems for quite awhile with his statements.

I don't hear hardly anything from the other players coaches.

Maybe Toni will keep a little cooler from here on out.

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 11:02:34 PM »

yeah, very disapointed with this. As much as I love Rafa, i won't support him blindly, he is certainly wrong this time, no excuse. :) >>>> ..-)

It's uncle Toni causing all the trouble, he likes to talk on and off the court.

He really has caused Nadal some problems for quite awhile with his statements.

I don't hear hardly anything from the other players coaches.

Maybe Toni will keep a little cooler from here on out.

yes Toni is the primary "criminal" since he loved to talk/coach rafa during the matches, but rafa has a choice too, may be he did not dare to challenge Toni when he was a little boy, but come on, he is a big man now, he could ask Toni to keep his big moiuth shut/'even if he continues to give him coaching, he could very well just did not listen ..-)

he simply does not require any coaching at this stage of his carrer, he already won a lot, no need to ruin his image  ..-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:05:44 PM by mimi »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 05:48:36 AM »
The way I see it, Toni said what most folks have known right along.
To be fair, he certainly isn't the only coach doing it.
Failure of the ATP to enforce the rules prohibiting coaching is similar to their ignorance of the stalling tactics used by some top players for years.  They just don't have the balls to call these guys on it.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
Failure of the ATP to enforce the rules prohibiting coaching is similar to their ignorance of the stalling tactics used by some top players for years.  They just don't have the balls to call these guys on it.

atp may not have the balls to call out these guy, but if Toni and other coaches obeyed the laws, they would not have to enforce it.  I used to like Toni, looks very nice and good sports (even appaluse the opponents of Rafa when they won some important points) but disrespecting the rules and even dared to voice it out has ruined his image.  Plus, he is SUPER FOOLISH ..-)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »
One thing I don't understand is that Toni can be so arrogant and get away with it. He doesn't even bother pretending he is going against the ATP rules. then, people call Nadal a cheater on almost all boards. Nobody calls Fed, Nole or Murray cheaters. Toni is doing so much damage and not even being aware of that or just  being too arrogant.

it doesn't make any sense to me what Don Toni is doing or saying nowadays.

Rafa should really get independent and get rid of this clown  ..-). the problem with Rafa is his OCD thingy. he likes the way things are no matter what.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 05:43:34 AM »

atp may not have the balls to call out these guy, but if Toni and other coaches obeyed the laws, they would not have to enforce it.  I used to like Toni, looks very nice and good sports (even appaluse the opponents of Rafa when they won some important points) but disrespecting the rules and even dared to voice it out has ruined his image.  Plus, he is SUPER FOOLISH ..-)
It's about respect and sportsmanship.
Despite appearances, he is apparently lacking in both departments. :(
CONK da ball!!!