Author Topic: Roger Federer Confirms New Racquet, Hes Gone From 90 To A 98 Head Size  (Read 2009 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Roger Federer Confirms New Racquet, Hes Gone From 90 To A 98 Head Size
by Tom Gainey   

Roger Federer followed up his Hamburg presser yesterday with a conference call today during which the 31-year-old Swiss confirmed that he has changed tennis racquets.

Via Google translation, Federer said: Yes, I have a new racquet. It features a larger clubhead. So far Ive played with a 90, now I get to a 98th order. I think 90% of the players on the ATP Tour have club head sizes between 95 and 100 Wimbledon since we have now tested this, and so far its going great. I can easily develop with the new racquet power. The racquet change is in my opinion one of the largest for a tennis player.

The exact model of racquet is not known but his sponsor Wilson will certainly have a press release out soon announcing the details of the switch.

Federer will officially debut the new larger black frame against German Daniel Brands either tomorrow or on Thursday in the second round.
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2013-07-16/13055.php

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
This should be interesting.

I would guess there will be some fine tuning with weights and strings.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Wow! This is big news. I'm surprised, I actually have a hard time believing it. Also, why would he not switch to the logical upgrade, the BLX Pro Staff 95? I'd think that'd be the closest to his Pro Staff 90 but with the added advantage of the bigger sweet spot. Also happens to by my racquet (well the older nCode 6.1 95s).

The only 98 racquets I know of are the Blade. The Blade comes in 93 and 98. Again, why not the 93 with a marginally bigger headsize instead of the 98? Djokovic used to use the Blade 93 when he played with Wilson.

I'm a little sad, Federer and the iconic Pro Staff kinda went hand in hand, as Sampras's successor, but at least one thing is for sure now. Federer to win calendar year grand slam in 2014  :))

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
I think this is good news and I hope it's not too late. Fed should've done in earlier I guess. I can hardly wait for his next match.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
I think this is good news and I hope it's not too late. Fed should've done in earlier I guess. I can hardly wait for his next match.

Yeah, I think 2008/2009 would have been perfect time to make this switch. When DelPotro overpowered him, he stopped being able to hit past Berdych and Tsonga, and started hitting backhands everywhere but into the court, that should have triggered it.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
I heard reports that Fed was trying the blade 98 and also a 104.

Not much else is said for now that I know of.

If he uses the new stick tomorrow I'm sure more details will come out.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Here's a close up.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Wow! This is big news. I'm surprised, I actually have a hard time believing it. Also, why would he not switch to the logical upgrade, the BLX Pro Staff 95? I'd think that'd be the closest to his Pro Staff 90 but with the added advantage of the bigger sweet spot. Also happens to by my racquet (well the older nCode 6.1 95s).

The only 98 racquets I know of are the Blade. The Blade comes in 93 and 98. Again, why not the 93 with a marginally bigger headsize instead of the 98? Djokovic used to use the Blade 93 when he played with Wilson.

I'm a little sad, Federer and the iconic Pro Staff kinda went hand in hand, as Sampras's successor, but at least one thing is for sure now. Federer to win calendar year grand slam in 2014  :))

I have this one since 2009 and its pretty good, its also 98sq.
http://www.tennisexpress.com/HEAD-MicroGel-Prestige-Pro-Tennis-Racquets-3071
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
I'm officially going to drop Fed from my favourites list and move to Djokovic if he adopts a racquet with a headsize greater than 100. And that way there'll be balance in the world of tennis fans ever since Alex left the Djokovic fan club and joined Federer.  :whistle:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos

I have this one since 2009 and its pretty good, its also 98sq.
http://www.tennisexpress.com/HEAD-MicroGel-Prestige-Pro-Tennis-Racquets-3071

Oh yeah, I meant Wilson only. But I've hit with that Head racquet once, one of my friends had it as well. It was super-sweet!! Do you play often?

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Oh yeah, I meant Wilson only. But I've hit with that Head racquet once, one of my friends had it as well. It was super-sweet!! Do you play often?

I wish I could, its too damn expensive these days.
Will play doubles tomorrow though.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
Forgive me for asking because I tend to use one racquet ever since and I really don't know the head size but since I have many of the same model I haven't changed myself to the newer frames. I have tried other racquets of course. My brother uses a Wilson which I believe is way easier to play with. My question is for a guy like Fed who is switching from 90 in-sq to 98 in-sq, will a difference of 8 in-sq  make a lot of difference and if so what are the biggest advantages and disadvantages.
The world awaits no genius

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Forgive me for asking because I tend to use one racquet ever since and I really don't know the head size but since I have many of the same model I haven't changed myself to the newer frames. I have tried other racquets of course. My brother uses a Wilson which I believe is way easier to play with. My question is for a guy like Fed who is switching from 90 in-sq to 98 in-sq, will a difference of 8 in-sq  make a lot of difference and if so what are the biggest advantages and disadvantages.

I've heard that the racket is more powerful but with that may be less accurate.
Then there's the strings, I don't know what tensions he's trying or if he has it weighted.

Fed may find that certain shots will work better and some not quite as well.

It may end up changing what shots Fed goes and his game to some degree.

A lot of questions to be answered.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Will add sales to Wilson Player's Racquets.  I think it a retro of the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 95.   Or it could be a Blade!  But any how; I like to see him play with it and how many off hits he has in his backhand drive.  His serve will be off that for sure since it a bigger racquet and his control will be more wild then with his Prostaff 6.0 PJs versions. 

He is now 5th in the world; go time to try something else.

Sports Illustrated write up and video on his new racquet in practice:
http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/16/roger-federer-racket-change-german-tennis-championships/?xid=nl_siextra

Could this be Roger's new racquet that Serena presently is using?  Look at the thin beam of Serena's "new" racquet!
Press conference with Serena Williams
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:36:04 PM by HarryWild »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos

larger head size = larger sweetspot, so less mis-hits presumably.
larger head size = larger surface area to impart more spin to the ball. This should allow him to hit harder on the ball and as long as he puts enough spin, it'll keep the ball in. Not sure how this might imapct him since he already puts a lot of spin on the ball, but I can see this giving him more margin on his ground strokes.
larger head size with the same tension he's used to = more spring action from the strings when the ball comes off it, so greater power, at the cost of accuracy.
larger head size = more mass above the midpoint than a comparably weighted racuqet with smaller headsize, making it less maneuverable at the net. Shouldn't be too much of an issue considering the game isn't net-based anymore and the minor difference is more than negated by Fed's skills which ultimately determine how good your volleys are. 

those are the advantages of larger head size. On his serve.. that'll depend on the weight of the racquet, and how his service motion might be affected by it. I personally don't see how a larger head size will impact his serve, but the above statements defintiely would have an impact on his serve.

I have a feeling he'll make the racquet just as heavy as his PS 90, but if he chooses to make it lighter:
lighter racquet = potential to swing faster. Momentum is a direct relation to mass and velocity, so wether the decrease in mass justifies in the increase in swing speed to net a higher momentum is to be seen.
lighter racquet = more vibration. This shouldn't have too much of an impact since Fed doesn't have a history of wrist/arm/shoulder issues.
lighter racquet = less resistance to twisting, again for an athlete as strong as Fed, I think this should have minimal impact but the ball probably won't feel as solidly struck to him until he gets used to it.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
I'm officially going to drop Fed from my favourites list and move to Djokovic if he adopts a racquet with a headsize greater than 100. And that way there'll be balance in the world of tennis fans ever since Alex left the Djokovic fan club and joined Federer.  :whistle:
it's 98 so you are safe  :). you kinda made me guilty that I've had a change of heart  :)~

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
How much of a help will it really be? I do not know. Fed's falling form is due to physical aspects. Either way, this switch should have been made much earlier.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtb9rwXoj_Y

He looks to be hitting flatter, with less racket head speed

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtb9rwXoj_Y

He looks to be hitting flatter, with less racket head speed
2 oranges for you. Rog looks good.
 :)) :))

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
Okay, watched the first 6 games of Roger-Brands match.

Fed is definitely hitting his forehand with less racket-head speed. It's steadier and heavier. Almost like Wawrinka's.

Fed is returning well, no shanks.

Fed hasn't hit any backhand shanks so far.

His movement and reflexes look poor, but that can't have anything to do with the racket.

:)