Author Topic: Roger Federer Confirms New Racquet, Hes Gone From 90 To A 98 Head Size  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Okay, watched the first 6 games of Roger-Brands match.

Fed is definitely hitting his forehand with less racket-head speed. It's steadier and heavier. Almost like Wawrinka's.

Fed is returning well, no shanks.

Fed hasn't hit any backhand shanks so far.

His movement and reflexes look poor, but that can't have anything to do with the racket.

:)

I think he started out tentative in this match.  In the 2nd and 3rd sets, he started really 'going' for his shots.  I'll have to see how the racket holds up if he keeps progressing in the tournament.  I think he needed to make this change to keep up with everyone else.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Okay, watched the first 6 games of Roger-Brands match.

Fed is definitely hitting his forehand with less racket-head speed. It's steadier and heavier. Almost like Wawrinka's.

Fed is returning well, no shanks.

Fed hasn't hit any backhand shanks so far.

His movement and reflexes look poor, but that can't have anything to do with the racket.

:)

Saw couple of his practice videos from Hamburg as well and I concur with your conclusions. However, he is playing someone ranked.. i don't even know where. Unfortunately, any losses in the near future to players below the top tier or two will be blamed on the racquet as well as Federer's decline, and any losses to the top tier will be subject to the usual 'Fed just isn't as good anymore, new racquet or not'. And the switch this late in his career.. the only way he stands to gain is if he works up his skills and form back up to the level it was  before this year AND then uses the racquet to give him an advantage against the rest of the big 4.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
I'm officially going to drop Fed from my favourites list and move to Djokovic if he adopts a racquet with a headsize greater than 100. And that way there'll be balance in the world of tennis fans ever since Alex left the Djokovic fan club and joined Federer.  :whistle:
I'd hardly consider that an even swap that would balance things out.  :Confused: Alex's posts are clearly more thought provoking than yours.......
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
This thread was made for DMast!!! :))

It will be interesting to see what Fed's final setup will be.
I can't imagine the tweeking process required for players at that level. :scared:
I'd bet it could take weeks or months to fine tune the combination of string type, racquet weight/balance, and string tension.  On top of that, will there be any adjustments in his swing speed or tactics?  Yikes, that's a big ask at this point in his career.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
I'm officially going to drop Fed from my favourites list and move to Djokovic if he adopts a racquet with a headsize greater than 100. And that way there'll be balance in the world of tennis fans ever since Alex left the Djokovic fan club and joined Federer.  :whistle:
I'd hardly consider that an even swap that would balance things out.  :Confused: Alex's posts are clearly more thought provoking than yours.......

:coffee:

See, this is a thought provoking post. You have NO idea what I'm thinking right now. Heck, you don't even know if I'm sipping on coffee or tea, or reading the paper backwards.

:rofl_2:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
This thread was made for DMast!!! :))

It will be interesting to see what Fed's final setup will be.
I can't imagine the tweeking process required for players at that level. :scared:
I'd bet it could take weeks or months to fine tune the combination of string type, racquet weight/balance, and string tension.  On top of that, will there be any adjustments in his swing speed or tactics?  Yikes, that's a big ask at this point in his career.

No risk no reward. I'll give him props for even attempting to try things at this point in his career, given his propensity to being stubborn, I think it's interesting.
I always wondered if fine-tuning a racquet at that level would be SUPER tough because of how much they are used to and rely on the racquet and it's finer details, or it wouldn't be that hard because they know what they want and have the skill to make any racquet work for them. For instance, if Fed is looking simply for a larger sweetspot, they could easily build/fine-tune a racquet with a slightly larger head size and try and keep the rest of the characteristics as similar as possible. For instance the six-one 95 even uses the same flat beam construction as the six one 90, i don't think the Blade does, so it'd be natural to shift to the 95 since it's as close to the PS 90 but with a slightly larger headsize.

But historically yeah, i think players do suffer when they tinker with the racquets, until they get used to it.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God

:coffee:

See, this is a thought provoking post. You have NO idea what I'm thinking right now. Heck, you don't even know if I'm sipping on coffee or tea, or reading the paper backwards.

:rofl_2:
Thanks alot Professor, now I won't be able to sleep tonight. :head-bash:
I'll be wondering what you're thinkin' and drinkin'.
Damn you Pawan!!! :ranting:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
On the most basic of levels, I wonder what he's looking for?
I don't watch his matches so I'm not sure what he's lacking.
I've heard about lots of shanks.
Therefore, I nominate him Sir Shanksalot. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
I noticed that on a few shots there was some wild spin to it.

Not sure if that was there before or I was just looking for it and then noticed it.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Maybe this will give him the "Edge" he needs to compete to 2016.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Fed wants to be the king again.  :cool:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Maybe this will give him the "Edge" he needs to compete to 2016.
OK, I know you are being cynical but I think his decision to change his racquet is a good thing. He doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. If he wins nothing ever, he still won so much. If his racquet change can help a little bit, then hey ... I'm still impressed that he is challenging himself and trying to become a better player instead of retiring  :)/

I was so excited to watch his match today, just managed to see the last set because of my silly computer.

I'm gonna probably open a new thread about Fed, Nole, Rafa ... their fans, expectations etc.

Fed fans should be the happiest people in the world. I mean, I really hope he'll win Hamburg. It would be great. Yet some guys want him to keep winning W forever. why? he won 7 of those  :gleam:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:00:09 PM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
I noticed that on a few shots there was some wild spin to it.

Not sure if that was there before or I was just looking for it and then noticed it.
That certainly could be a by product of a larger head/ more open string pattern.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Any thoughts on Federer and his new racquet? I think Boris Becker once said his racquet was like his right arm. Changes to that would definitely hurt a professional's game especially someone like Federer who's essentially stuck to the same racuqet since.. 2001?

He's dropped a couple sets in his last two matches, botched a lot of matchpoints, gotten broken one too many times... but I don't think all of this has to do with the racquet. Federer definitely doesn't have the confidence he needs in his game - and I think he's wisened up to the fact that playing half the tournaments just won't give him enough match time to keep his form and sharpness .. and confidence is dependent on his form and his form is dependent on his confidence, vicious cycle.

Also for the longest time I've played down any excuse of his footwork getting worse considering the guy is still one of the best movers out there, but honestly, the past two matches I have seen and especially this one against Mayer in Hamburg QF.. his footwork needs work. I don't know if it's the age or lack of practice/conditioning or simply a slump slash eventual decline, I think working on his footwork will at least partially bring his confidence, movement and shots back to where they were.

Now as far as the racquet itself is concerned.. I am interested to see how it works for him. Here's some 'top' players off the top of my head who have had racquet changes and how they've fared:

• Sharapova switched from Prince to Head in.. late 2010, almost 2011 I think. Her results since then have been.. eh, decent. I think a  lot of that has to do with her injuries but she's not a more consistent and solid player than before and her adjustment seems to have been smooth and seamless as she's only gotten better and better since 2010.
  • Verdasco: switched from .. uh.. Technifibre to Yonex I think, in 2009. 2009 was his career year if I am not wrong, that was the year he just won DC and played that big Semi against Nadal in the Australian Open. His career has gone south since then without a doubt
  • Tsonga: switched form Wilson to Babolat in 2010 Jan, and his results have stayed the same. I think he's just matured as a player and has had some good wins but he's consistently a top 5-10 player with upset-able skills, the racquet change didn't seem to have hurt him
  • Blake: Not entirely sure but I think he played with a Dunlop for most of his career and then had contracts with Prince but still continued to play with his Dunlop (as an experimental blacked out Prince) and eventually switched back. Clearly didn't go well for him
  • Ljubcic: Switched from Babolato to head when he was #3 in the world I think and that went down the drain
  • Novak: won his 2008 AO with the Wilson, making his biggest strides up the ranks and firmly became the solid #3 player and always a threat but never enough. Then in 2009 switched his racquet to Head and we all know his struggles with his serve and Todd martin and all that jazz. Didn't really benefit from the racquet until his epic 2011, and by that time was it really the racuqet? I don't think so.

That's all I have in my head. I want to see if Federer will have "not much effect" from his racquet change or if it'll be positive, or if it'll be worse. Unfortunately for him, at his age and given the "decline" that's apparently been right around the corner for the last two years, even if there's not much effect (as in, losses to top 10 players and only QF/SF at slams and masters), we can't credit/blame the racquet, and any further slide downhill will be the racuqet's fault or simply a combination of racquet and his inevitable decline. Only a resurgence can prove that the racquet has helped a bit. And that resurgence needs to be seen in his game.

So far I have noticed that his backhand slices have been pretty sharp, even on clay, and he's hit quite a few backhand winners down the line. His forehand has been good and penetrating but he seems to not be able to control it as well, especially the short cross court forehand that he had to use many times against Mayer today as a passing shot. His serve.. I don't see much of a difference.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Interesting observations once again from The Professor.

I think that once a pro finds a setup that works well for them, making a few minor adjustments to weighting, strings, tension or gauge, can be done with minimal affect on overall play.  A new racquet especially with larger head/string pattern is more drastic and could take some time getting used to.  However, it may go swimmingly for him.  Time will tell.

More importantly, I wonder why he felt the need to change and what he hopes to gain.  I see this as a crack in the wall of confidence and any failures during the adjustment period may open the floodgates for a meltdown.  Or it may give him the boost he seeks and lengthen his career by 10 more years. :dunno:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God

I think that once a pro finds a setup that works well for them, making a few minor adjustments to weighting, strings, tension or gauge, can be done with minimal affect on overall play.  A new racquet especially with larger head/string pattern is more drastic and could take some time getting used to.  However, it may go swimmingly for him.  Time will tell.

More importantly, I wonder why he felt the need to change and what he hopes to gain.  I see this as a crack in the wall of confidence and any failures during the adjustment period may open the floodgates for a meltdown.  Or it may give him the boost he seeks and lengthen his career by 10 more years. :dunno:
yeah, I agree plus it's interesting that he chose to change his racquet and to play 2 clay tournaments he hasn't played in ages.

he lost today 76 76 and everyone on 'the other tennis board' are out of control wanting to 'crucify' him. blah

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

yeah, I agree plus it's interesting that he chose to change his racquet and to play 2 clay tournaments he hasn't played in ages.

he lost today 76 76 and everyone on 'the other tennis board' are out of control wanting to 'crucify' him. blah

His game wasn't good for a long time now, add the new racket on clay to the problem.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
We all know there are plenty of people ready to crucify someone at the drop of the hat.  That seems to be the way.

Time will tell if Fed can sort things out and continue to play at the top of the game.

I wonder if he's comfortable with the fact that he is no longer a favorite to win any of the slams and has been 'relegated' to contender status?  If he accepts himself and doesn't let the loses affect his confidence, he may still have an opportunity for slam glory.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
It's tough to go from favourite to outsider, but we've seen several do so with success in the past. And others who failed to cope. Where Federer will land only time will tell.

And of course it's too soon to conclude about the new racket after just one tournament. But people like to conclude quickly....

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
It's tough to go from favourite to outsider, but we've seen several do so with success in the past. And others who failed to cope. Where Federer will land only time will tell.

And of course it's too soon to conclude about the new racket after just one tournament. But people like to conclude quickly....

He hasn't played well since he came back from the back problem.
He probably missed some training blocks because of that.

Fed relies on his training plan, always did and it's probably more important now that he's older.
Then he changes to a new racket and tries it out on clay.

A lot of things not falling into place for him.

He'll get his practice and training then also adjust to the new racket.
I expect much better showings from him in the near future.