Author Topic: Andy Murray deserves knighthood after Wimbledon - David Cameron  (Read 1010 times)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Prime Minister David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood after becoming the first Briton to win the Wimbledon men's singles since 1936.

Murray won the title with a 6-4 7-5 6-4 triumph against world number one Novak Djokovic on Sunday.

"I can't think of anyone who deserves one more," said Mr Cameron, who watched the match from the Royal Box.

But Murray said: "It's a nice thing to have or be offered but I don't know if it merits that."

Mr Cameron said Murray's win had "lifted the spirits of the whole country".

"It was a fantastic day for Andy Murray, for British tennis and for Britain," he added.

"We were wondering on Sunday morning, 'do we dare to dream that this is possible?' and he proved absolutely that it was."

The prime minister cannot personally award an honour to the 26-year-old, stressing that they are decided independently.

People are nominated for their achievements by members of the public and whether they are given an honour - and the type of honour - is decided by a committee

The committee's decision goes to the prime minister and then to the Queen.

Murray was awarded an OBE in the 2013 New Year's Honours list after winning Olympic gold and the US Open last year.

On the possibility of receiving a knighthood, the Scot added: "I think just because everyone's waited for such a long time for this [winning at Wimbledon], that's probably why it will be suggested."

In the first of several interviews on Monday, Murray told BBC Breakfast that he had only slept for "about one hour" after his victory.

"You don't want to go to sleep in case you wake up and it hasn't actually happened," he said.

Murray later took part in a question and answer session on social networking site Twitter, ahead of attending promotional events for his sponsors. Murray then met Mr Cameron at a special reception at Downing Street shortly after 16:00 BST.

He was also greeted by a group of politicians including Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, Labour leader Ed Miliband and Angus Robertson from the Scottish National Party.

After meeting the Wimbledon champion, Mr Clegg tweeted: "Pleasure to meet @andy_murray today. He's a true British champion who made tennis history yesterday

And Mr Miliband told his followers: "Fantastic to meet @Andy_Murray and see the famous Wimbledon trophy up close after yesterday's amazing win."

Mr Robertson also took to Twitter to say: "Great to have the chance to congratulate @andy_murray personally on his @wimbledon victory."

The Queen has awarded knighthoods to several sportsmen in recent years, including Olympic-winning cyclist Sir Bradley Wiggins in 2013 and former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson in 1999. Paralympic cyclist Sarah Storey was also made a dame in the 2013 New Year's Honours list.

Tennis Scotland chief executive David Marshall hopes Murray's success will encourage more Scottish youngsters to join their local tennis clubs.

"All of our clubs and local authorities have been working very hard to make sure tennis is open, accessible and very cheap," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Now we're encouraging people - not only on the Wimbledon fortnight - to get down to the tennis courts and give the game a go."

Meanwhile, former world number one John McEnroe has backed Murray to win at least six Grand Slam titles.

"He's come into his own and there's a lot to look forward to," said the American.

Murray's win against Djokovic was watched by a peak audience of more than 17m viewers on BBC One.

The final also dominated social networking sites, with Twitter saying eight of the UK's top 10 trending topics as Murray hit the winning shot were Wimbledon-related.

At around the same time - 17:25 BST - the number of mentions of the final peaked at 120,000 tweets per minute.

Murray also added more than 230,000 new fans to his Facebook page, up to a total of nearly 1.3 million likes, during the second week of the tournament.

The Dunblane-raised player dedicated the triumph, which earned him prize money of 1.6m, to his coach Ivan Lendl. The American-Czech, 53, won eight Grand Slam titles as a player in the 1980s and 1990s, but failed to win the Wimbledon men's singles.

From BBC

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
Re: Andy Murray deserves knighthood after Wimbledon - David Cameron
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »
Wow, Sir Andy Murray. Henman is not gonna sleep well from now on. :whistle:

To be frank, it is a great achievement to have a British win Wimbledon, only because British tennis wasn't too bright in the Open Era (with a few small exceptions). What will happen to his title once Scotland becomes independent (if it becomes independent)?

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
He owes it all to Llendl.
Nice to see him acknowledge that on court upon receiving the cup.
Heck, Ivan even cracked a smile.
That's record breaking in and of itself. :))

Who knows how far these 2 can go together?
Look for Andy (not Roddick) to be one of the favs at the U.S. Open this year.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
Will they announce him as sir Andy?  :-o

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »
OK Sid, it's really getting too much.  it's  too funny to me. Does Fed deserve to become the King of Switzerland? Djokovic the Emperor of Serbia? Nadal the Queen of Spain?

W this year was, by all standards, the strangest tournament ever.

you Brits are so silly sometimes. plus, you need to realize everything was arranged. Murray won nothing  :zipped:.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:39:14 PM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 05:34:39 AM »
OK Sid, it's really getting too much.  it's  too funny to me. Does Fed deserve to become the King of Switzerland? Djokovic the Emperor of Serbia? Nadal the Queen of Spain?

you Brits are so silly sometimes. plus, you need to realize everything was arranged. Murray won nothing  :zipped:.
You're a tennis fan.
Surely you 'get it'?
It's tennis history.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:50:34 AM »
he is definately a good candidate for knighthood, but if it was upto me, i'd rather hold the decision until the day Murray retires. Giving a person the privilege of Knighthood so early in his career seems very unwise to me.. :innocent: :innocent:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
he is definately a good candidate for knighthood, but if it was upto me, i'd rather hold the decision until the day Murray retires. Giving a person the privilege of Knighthood so early in his career seems very unwise to me.. :innocent: :innocent:

Agreed. I still don't get the reason behind knighting someone.. wasn't Murray just doing his job? He's a tennis player, he should be winning tournaments and he did. He just happened to be a British fellow in London.. like Alex said, Federer, Nadal and Novak have all won tournaments in their home countries (not to mention, they've all won Wimbledon as well), where's their recognition title?

I guess I just don't know the importance/reasons for knighthood.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »
I remember very well, back in 2006 when both Novak and Andy got to top 20. I fell in love with both of them at that time.

I don't even care that much about them any more. really looking for some youngsters to support. it's too bad, can't find them.

However, this knight thing is the most retarded thing ever. I want to be The Emperor of Canada. I don't really need it but I can decide who gets what  :).

Seriously guys ... I feel bad for Brits in general. OK, Andy won W but do you need to make him a saint right now? it's a big turn off for me  :\.
Sid, I still love ya bud  :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:09:30 AM by Alex »

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
For sure he deserves a knighthood, for comparision Bradley Wiggins was knighted after winning the Tour de France.

But I think knighting should happen after the athlete has retired.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
I remember very well, back in 2006 when both Novak and Andy got to top 20. I fell in love with both of them at that time.

I don't even care that much about them any more. really looking for some youngsters to support. it's too bad, can't find them.

However, this knight thing is the most retarded thing ever. I want to be The Emperor of Canada. I don't really need it but I can decide who gets what  :).

Seriously guys ... I feel bad for Brits in general. OK, Andy won W but do you need to make him a saint right now? it's a big turn off for me  :\.

Alex  love ya 2 bud ,but please don't give Emma a hard time ah.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »

Alex  love ya 2 bud ,but please don't give Emma a hard time ah.
Emma is overrated, and I'm guilty as charged  :cool:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »

Alex, you may well be joking, and perhaps you are ignorant of the facts pertaining to a knighthood in Britain. There is a long tradition of awarding the honour to sportsmen, and they have to be British to receive it.  This is not meant to be a snub to those of other nationalities. In rarer circumstances, foreigners have received the honour, but can't be addressed as "Sir".

The point about it has always been that those who serve the nation and achieve something great for it are honoured in this way. Traditionally, it was meant for military achievements, but in more recent times, service to the nation has included a wider remit.

You clearly have your views about Murray's achievements. But the facts speak for themselves. In my view, Murray was always an excellent British sportsman, having played at the highest level of his sport for several years. Last year he was runner up at the Wimbledon final, won the OG for the singles & OS for the mixed doubles with Laura Robson & the first GS men's singles title for a British player in 76 years at the USO. This year, he was runner up in the AO & the Wimbledon winner. He has won 2 of the last 4 slams.  And his ranking is world number 2, the highest he has ever been.
Based on these facts, he is very much a contender for a knighthood, as he has served British Tennis very well & brought it to its highest level in 77 years. 

I am delighted to see Murray receiving the acclaim he has earned.   A knighthood might be a gift to him, but his achievements were gained through effort & dedication to his sport.     

And in achieving what he has, he has boosted the morale of the nation, giving us a dearly yearned for win at Wimbledon.

I think the best is yet to come from Murray, but what he has already achieved deserves the highest honour this nation can award him.   He hasn't received the knighthood yet, but I'll be disappointed if he doesn't.

It sums up the humble decency of the man to note that he himself doesn't think he deserves it.       
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:04:02 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
Gawd, Murray is playing tennis for himself. He is not 'serving' the Britain. that's a nonsense. Give him whatever when he retires. To me, personally, this is just all stupid although I do j/k a lot. Think about true legends of tennis, Borg, JMack, Sampras ... how the heck have they got 'awarded' by their respective governments?

I simply find this whole thing to be extremely PRETENTIOUS/b] at this moment.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:36:34 PM by Alex »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 02:33:40 AM »
When Murray wins 8 Wimbledons, let me know.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 07:08:39 AM »
Gawd, Murray is playing tennis for himself. He is not 'serving' the Britain. that's a nonsense. Give him whatever when he retires. To me, personally, this is just all stupid although I do j/k a lot. Think about true legends of tennis, Borg, JMack, Sampras ... how the heck have they got 'awarded' by their respective governments?

Is Djokovic a true legend of tennis Alex? & i know you'd say yes.So i 'd say anyone who wins a Slam or Slams is a legend of tennis.Think before you wright,77 years since Wimbledon was won by a tennis player from the UK.Borg, JMack, Sampras are legends of tennis.Don't be so pissed off that Murray now has Djokovic number in tennis. ;-()

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »

Is Djokovic a true legend of tennis Alex? & i know you'd say yes.So i 'd say anyone who wins a Slam or Slams is a legend of tennis.Think before you wright,77 years since Wimbledon was won by a tennis player from the UK.Borg, JMack, Sampras are legends of tennis.Don't be so pissed off that Murray now has Djokovic number in tennis. ;-()
That is tennis history for sure!  No wonder he is being considered for knighthood.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
Sid, Djokovic is a true legend of tennis. Muzza doesn't have his number, not yet. He might get there, I don't know.

My point is that Murray winning W is getting blown out of proportion in UK... that's all my friend  :).

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
I beg to differ Alex,@ Wimbledon Murray's well & truely got Djokovic number  ;-()  Don't forget London Olympics was played @ Wimbledon & who beat Djokovic.USO is closer but Murray won that last year v Djokovic,i wonder if we get another MurrayVic Final @ USO where your man can lose again.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
OK bud, what is Muz's number? what is Nole's number? let's fight biotch  :head-bash:. I'm ready but only if you read this

1. Djokovic

number murray, who cares ....  :rofl_2: ?

also, Sid what is clay to you? bring it on babe. I can talk all day long. Talk if you have balls  :)>>>>