Author Topic: CANADIAN MASTERS 2013 MONTREAL 2-11 August  (Read 6745 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: CANADIAN MASTERS 2013 MONTREAL 2-11 August
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »
powerful tennis there. :shakey:

After that last net encounter, I think things will turn and that Murray will come through.

Euroka's prediction reputation takes another hit.  :(

But Ernie was really playing well today. It's been a long time coming.  ..-)

Ernie's forehand just boggles my mind.
Deceptively stunning.

Perhaps 'pure' is a more accurate adjective.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »
Hi GBY,

There has been so much GOOD tennis to watch today and it is still happening.  :lmao:

Yes indeed! I've been fascinated by the change in Raonic's game ( change as in when I last took notice of his game!   :)  )   He approached the net more & has displayed some excellent tactical play, going for his shots. He has tried to deny Del Potro getting rhythm & succeeded. MR has been having attention to his neck.  But he has played a better game today, thus far, and clinching the set 75 reflects that.   

This is a strange first game in the 2nd set -  D-P with a break.   The commentator (Gore) sharing what we already know - that D-P is a late starter. These people get paid for this work.   :rofl_2:

And MR breaks back. He has been the more imaginative player so far.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:43:54 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
Del P in many respects just couldn't score tonight. I agree that Raonic played well, far better than he did in Washington, so it was a deserved win.

I'm pleased too in the sense that Del Potro will be fresher when he comes to Cincinnati  :) .

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
P.S. Think I'll tune out and listen to music for a while.   :harp:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
Its unacceptable for Raonic to go all silent like that when clearly and obviously he did touch the net.
This behavior could be labeled as cheating which I'm all against.

I remember Gonzalez-Blake match at Olympics. I'm fan of both players but when Gonzalez didn't admit he touched the ball before it went wide I was really disgusted. Fair play has to prevail always.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »
I was distracted from the music  :uh: with the thought that of the final 8 in Washington, Matosevic is the only one still standing here.  :scared:

It says something about the crowded schedule of the tour these days.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »
Great day for me. Vasek, Raonic through  :)). I still can't believe that DP and Murray are out.

Djokovic/Istomin was probably the best match of the tournament so far. Istomin played out of his mind. It wasn't enough against Nole who was average. high quality tennis.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2013, 10:45:07 PM »
Raonic dropped big time in my eyes.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2013, 11:06:28 PM »
Raonic dropped big time in my eyes.
I actually didn't see the match. I heard something about him touching the net and pretending it didn't happen, getting away with it. Is that why?

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2013, 12:17:46 AM »
Andy Murray Vs Ernests Gulbis R3 HIGHLIGHTS ROGERS CUP MONTREAL 2013 [HD]

Juan Martin del Potro Vs Milos Raonic R3 HIGHLIGHTS ROGERS CUP MONTREAL 2013 [HD]

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2013, 01:09:41 AM »
Tennis won all the way yesterday. So many surprises stretched me to think that we may have hope for a new generation. The ease with which Gulbis took care of Murray, that was quite impressive. Vasek against Berdych, most impressive match of his career by far. Stand ovation for them all. :)

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »
What a great lineup for today.

Pospisil vs Davydenko ---> Tennis wins in any case. The talented young Canadian versus the talented Russian veteran. Pospisil sees his chance here and will probably stay cool enough to play his best tennis.
Raonic vs Gulbis ---> The Canadian is 3-0 in H2H, but Gulbis is hungry for more after defeating Murray. A match between two top form young players hungry for their first chance to shine.
Djokovic vs Gasquet ---> The Serbian terminator had a low start yesterday, so Gasquet could take much better advantage of this than Istomin if it happens, but Gasquet also had a low key start yesterday, so who knows. The Serb a clear favorite here, but the match has potential.
Nadal vs Matosevic ---> Nadal didn't have big problems in this tournament so far. So, clearly, not the best match of the day. But, it would be interesting to see if Matosevic can at least challenge Nadal on this surface.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2013, 02:37:51 AM »
Rafael Nadal Vs Jerzy Janowicz R3 HIGHLIGHTS ROGERS CUP MONTREAL 2013 [HD]

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2013, 05:28:56 AM »
Its unacceptable for Raonic to go all silent like that when clearly and obviously he did touch the net.

I remember Gonzalez-Blake match at Olympics. I'm fan of both players but when Gonzalez didn't admit he touched the ball before it went wide I was really disgusted. Fair play has to prevail always.
:// Bruddah!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2013, 05:30:30 AM »
Great day for me. Vasek, Raonic through  :)). I still can't believe that DP and Murray are out.

Djokovic/Istomin was probably the best match of the tournament so far. Istomin played out of his mind. It wasn't enough against Nole who was average. high quality tennis.
I saw the start of the 2nd set.
He was playing well over his head.
Nole looked perplexed and a bit frustrated.
Not the cool cucumber I've come to like.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2013, 05:32:54 AM »
Tennis won all the way yesterday. So many surprises stretched me to think that we may have hope for a new generation. The ease with which Gulbis took care of Murray, that was quite impressive. Vasek against Berdych, most impressive match of his career by far. Stand ovation for them all. :)
We've been waiting on Ernst to realize his awesome potential.
Dude has a sick sick skill set and has squandered the first half of his career.  With an improved work ethic and some motivation, the sky is the limit for this guy.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »

Thoughts the morning after:

I don't think it would have made any difference. Del P was way below form anyway, and Raonic was generally playing well.

The subsequent replay tape and the post-match interview made it clear that Raonic knew he had touched the net.

It is unreasonable to expect the Chair Umpire to rule on something he did not see directly. It would set a bad precedent.
  (Any comment from the resident chair-umps?)

It would have been wise and sportsmanlike for Raonic to have conceded the point. Stains like this, as Lugburz notes, do not wash out easily. Still, all of who have been round a long time have made similar misjudgments in our lifetimes and I sympathize with the young player's dilemma. He  was lucky to be on home turf.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2013, 07:25:18 AM »
Rafa played pretty well against Jerzy. Still had some really odd errors, but overall a very solid defensive performance. Nice to see him scooting up towards the baseline on Jerzy's first serve. He had the flair now and then with some wicked forehands and great returns, but mostly he just tried to weather Jerzy's power and succeeded.

Nice to see Pospisil and Raonic going deep in their home tourney. Definitely rooting for them today! I hate Gulbis, so I'd rather Raonic dominate him. And it's always better to see young talent win over old talent, so Pospisil all the way against Davydenko. Gasquet/Djoker should be awesome to watch. Gotta pull for Gasquet. And obviously I'm pulling for Nadal against Matosevic. Hopefully Matosevic can play well and make it a fun match to watch, unlike he did at Monte Carlo.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2013, 08:33:11 AM »
First of all, what was Mohamed (the umpire) looking at? pretty women in the crowd. I didn't expect this from him. Regardless how DP felt (injured or not), it wasn't fair to him. you never know if this point could have turned the match around.

Raonic should have conceived the point. He knew he had touched the net, the crowd knew it too. I'm disappointed with Milos  :\.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
First of all, what was Mohamed (the umpire) looking at? pretty women in the crowd. I didn't expect this from him. Regardless how DP felt (injured or not), it wasn't fair to him. you never know if this point could have turned the match around.

Raonic should have conceived the point. He knew he had touched the net, the crowd knew it too. I'm disappointed with Milos  :\.

Hi Alex,
As I recall, the Chair Umpire claimed that his eye was on the ball and not on the bottom of the net, which is valid to me. To me, the question is, should he have done anything after viewing the relay tape?
I don't blame Del P being upset  :ranting:! Anybody would have been in that situation.