Author Topic: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August  (Read 7406 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »
Came back to the motel as rain was threatening and I didn't have the car.

It was a good day for tennis. Mertov is here and we met up at the Dimitrov- Almagro match. That was an interesting one. Although Dimitrov won 7-6, 6-4, It was an up and down sort of match largely determined by whether Dimitrov's serve was on fire or not. Mertov thought that Almagro was making tactical mistakes. We waited to see Sloane Stevens beat Petra Martic 6-2,3-6,6-3. That was also an up-down match and it looked for a while as if qualifier Martic might win it.

From his coaching background, Mertov knows where the good ladies matches are and we went off to see the ladies doubles Hatuchova - Hingis vs Medina Garrigues - Penetta. The former pair won 4-6,6-4,10-5.
I had not seen Hingis in action before. She still packs quite a punch.

Before the evening session I went to the advertised "conversation" between Brad Gilbert and Tommy Haas in the Corona Beach House. Mostly Brad, not much Tommy but Tommy attributes his new success to having a family. He wants to stay around long enough  for his daughter to see him win something big. Tennis is on the TV in their house all the time and daughter , just a few years old, can already distinguish Roger, Rafa, and Dada. Brad says that the qualifications for being a good commentator are (1) to have opinions, (2) to make predictions. Brad certainly can do both! Asked who was his favorite pupil he came out strongly with Andre Agassi. Clearly there are still a lot of affectionate memories from that partnership. Brad thinks Ryan Harrison may be the big surprise of the tournament after his spectacular win last night but he has to get by David Ferrer tomorrow first!

The big disappointment for the day was the David Goffin - Mackenzie MacDonald match. The latter, about 18 year old, came through the qualifiers and there are great expectations from Brad Gilbert and others. But Goffin ran completely over him tonight with something like 6-1, 6-2. That was not good.

Then we went off to see two classy ladies Eugenia Bouchard and Monica Puig battle it out. It was some of the best tennis of the day. The former won. (don't have the score).

Mertov and I are going to meet tomorrow for the Kevin Anderson - Tommy Haas match at 11 am. That should be a corker.  :lmao:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:49:46 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
What balls! clutchy Blake  :gleam: saves 3 bp's/sp's! 5-5.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »
Outstanding stuff! 5-5

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
gotta love those ROS from the baseline.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
OH!!!!!!!

Jerzy! Lol

Blake to serve for the match!

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »
Blake breaks  :grind dance: and will serve for the match. Legend.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
I'm watching this on the computer. Not sure I could have stood the excitement there  :scared: .

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
Bam!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
Good match!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
Freaking awesome win Blake, you LEGEND  :not worthy:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
Came back to the motel as rain was threatening and I didn't have the car.

It was a good day for tennis. Mertov is here and we met up at the Dimitrov- Almagro match. That was an interesting one. Although Dimitrov won 7-6, 6-4, It was an up and down sort of match largely determined by whether Dimitrov's serve was on fire or not. Mertov thought that Almagro was making tactical mistakes. We waited to see Sloane Stevens beat Petra Martic 6-2,3-6,6-3. That was also an up-down match and it looked for a while as if qualifier Martic might win it.

From his coaching background, Mertov knows where the good ladies matches are and we went off to see the ladies doubles Hatuchova - Hingis vs Medina Garrigues - Penetta. The former pair won 4-6,6-4,10-5.
I had not seen Hingis in action before. She still packs quite a punch.

Before the evening session I went to the advertised "conversation" between Brad Gilbert and Tommy Haas in the Corona Beach House. Mostly Brad, not much Tommy but Tommy attributes his new success to having a family. He wants to stay around long enough  for his daughter to see him win something big. Tennis is on the TV in their house all the time and daughter , just a few years old, can already distinguish Roger, Rafa, and Dada. Brad says that the qualifications for being a good commentator are (1) to have opinions, (2) to make predictions. Brad certainly can do both! Asked who was his favorite pupil he came out strongly with Andre Agassi. Clearly there are still a lot of affectionate memories from that partnership. Brad thinks Ryan Harrison may be the big surprise of the tournament after his spectacular win last night but he has to get by David Ferrer tomorrow first!

The big disappointment for the day was the David Goffin - Mackenzie MacDonald match. The latter, about 18 year old, came through the qualifiers and there are great expectations from Brad Gilbert and others. But Goffin ran completely over him tonight with something like 6-1, 6-2. That was not good.

Then we went off to see two classy ladies Eugenia Bouchard and Monica Puig battle it out. It was some of the best tennis of the day. The former won. (don't have the score).

Mertov and I are going to meet tomorrow for the Kevin Anderson - Tommy Haas match at 11 am. That should be a corker.  :lmao:

Great read as always E-man!

You have a blast tomorrow with Mertov mate. and Of course say hi to Tommy from me  :)~

TOMMY HAAS

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2013, 09:13:01 PM »
Black played extremely well. Jerzy just started learning that he doesn't need to serve too much pace to win point in 2nd set. It is time for him to develop new serve and also take some pace off to his 1st serve.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:21:14 PM by williamchung7 »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
Black played extremely well. Jerzy just started learning that he don't need to serve too much pace to win point in 2nd set. It is time for him to develop new serve and also take some pace off to his 1st serve.

Agreed. No need for risky 2nd serves.

I missed this James   :Confused: Fingers crossed he can keep this up and beat Tursunov next. Another tough opponent on these fast conditions.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »
BLAKE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He actually played really well tonight.  Very much contained and within himself.  Not bad for another "old man" -- was it!  Way to go James... show these "young guns" what the 'old breeds' are made of! :))

Venus looked good too (once she got started).  Great day for me!!!!!  Now I hope Roger can come through tomorrow night!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »
Kohli vs Fed tomorrow, part of me is happy and part of me is mad at the draw. Kohli, Haas, Fed again intertwined in that quarter.

Hope Tommy can win tomorrow, he's always pretty random when it comes to opponents with huge serve.

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »
Last week, I was thinking I'd like to watch Dimitrov (lose) than watch Kevin Anderson  :ZZZZZ)  But the guy next to me convinced me to stick around because Dolgopolov (Anderson's opponent) was so entertaining to watch. I've seen Dolgopolov a few times, in fact, just the previous day when he was paired with Fognini against Haas/Melzer. I've only seen Dimitrov (lose) once, so I thought I'd give him a second look since, you know, Anderson is a  :ZZZZZ)

But I'm glad the guy next to me convinced me to stay. Not only did Dolgo thoroughly entertain -- the dude stood on the service line when returning Anderson's 1st serve and 2 steps inside to return his second serve!!  :scared: :lmao: I was pleased to learn that Anderson's game isn't as simplistic as I had thought. He's a fairly complete player when the ball is in play.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
Great win for Blake! Wish I could've watched it. I always liked watching peak Blake! I'll definitely have to catch some highlights tomorrow if they're on YouTube.

Nevermind. Already got some on YouTube! Watching now.........Nevermind again. Stupid YouTube douche bags. It's Del Po vs. Dodig.

Also still looking for Harrison/Dolgopolov and Baker/Istomin highlights. Both Harrison and Baker have really tough matches tomorrow, what with Ferrer and Dimitrov, respectively. Ferrer's always weak and hard courts and Harrison's pretty high bouncing serve could give short Ferrer some trouble by being able to push him back with the serve and use his soft hands to get in a good drop shot. However, it's hard to make an effective drop shot on Ferrer. Baker's got it as good as he could against Dimitrov, since Dimitrov's coming off of a long, tight match and fitness is his HUGE weakness. Definitely going to have to tape the matches tomorrow and watch em. Stupid work has to get in the way of everything!

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
Yep, Anderson's game isn't as simplistic as, say Karlovic, Isner or Raonic for that matter.

For a big guy he has weaker service than those mentioned. So he has pretty decent ground game.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
For those interested: A reporter brought up to Raonic what happened in his match with Del Potro (the net incident) and told him some of the criticism by the media (mentioned Davenport and two others).  I thought Raonic handled it very well.  He said that he made a big mistake, it was the first time it happened to him in a match of this magnitude and he said he did not think clearly at the moment, and he regretted it later when he began realizing what he had done later that day.  He said again he learned from it and would never do it again, and he plans to apologize to Juan Martin when he sees him in this tournament and he still feels bad about it. He admitted to getting caught in the moment, and making a mistake for not saying anything. 

He made a separate comment about how he thought it was very difficult to serve and volley successfully in today's game considering how well the top players are returning, but he added that he does not believe it will disappear and that there will always be a few guys who can master it enough to still do well on the tour with it.  He said he has no plans to make it a substantial part of his game when asked.

Best
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:38:41 PM by Mertov »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:24 PM »
For those interested: A reporter brought up to Raonic what happened in his match with Del Potro (the net incident) and told him some of the criticism by the media (mentioned Davenport and two others).  I thought Raonic handled it very well.  He said that he made a big mistake, it was the first time it happened to him in a match of this magnitude and he said he did not think clearly at the moment, and he regretted it later when he began realizing what he had done later that day.  He said again he learned from it and would never do it again, and he plans to apologize to Juan Martin when he sees him in this tournament and he still feels bad about it. He admitted to getting caught in the moment, and making a mistake for not saying anything. 

He made a separate comment about how he thought it was very difficult to serve and volley successfully in today's game considering how well the top players are returning, but he added that he does not believe it will disappear and that there will always be a few guys who can master it enough to still do well on the tour with it.  He said he has no plans to make it a substantial part of his game when asked.

Best

Better late than never I guess, even when it was probably suggested by his PR team or he simply realized how he's been criticized ever since the incident happened.
This is what I've been saying all along, he should have apologized right after the match if he couldn't do it right away.
It's still not good enough for me because of that post presser, where he should have apologized and not making a terrible and lame excuses.
But he at least admitted mistake/terrible sportsmanship. Good for him.

Hopefully next time, he'll act accordingly and condone fair play.

TOMMY HAAS