Author Topic: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August  (Read 9319 times)

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2013, 09:46:54 PM »
It seems that Fed has reverted back to use of his old racquet. Surprising or expected ?
The world awaits no genius

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »
It seems that Fed has reverted back to use of his old racquet. Surprising or expected ?

I'd say reasonable.
He's hit like billion balls with the same racket for so many years.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
Kohli put up a decent fight overall I guess. He had his chances but tbh only few were deserved.

5.25am time for bed finally  ..-)

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:22 AM »

I'd say reasonable.

I heard he was going back and forth between racquets but with the USO coming it would seem he should decide soon.

I didn't notice much difference but then he didn't look very sharp for awhile now.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2013, 04:49:24 AM »

I'd say reasonable.

I heard he was going back and forth between racquets but with the USO coming it would seem he should decide soon.

I didn't notice much difference but then he didn't look very sharp for awhile now.

I watched on the computer. I didn't think he was up to his old sharpness, either. Maybe he's just holding back.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »
Nice report, Euroka. I hope you'll see some good tennis today.

I’ve watched the “catch up” on the Stevens / Sharapova  & Federer / Kohlshreiber matches.

Well done to SS for remaining focused enough to beat MS. She played an excellent final set, and although clearly nervous when serving it out, she did the deed!  MS is looking less than happy out there of late. I hope  Connors can help raise her spirits for the USO.

Federer continues to struggle. He played a scrappy match, with unforced errors & failed break point conversions being the most noteworthy aspects of his game.   Kohlshreiber‘s own scrappy play made a straight sets win easier for RF.  This could easily have gone to 3 sets.

Glad to note Wawrinka  &  Pospisil  are through.

For today’s schedule, some  interesting matches coming up. I’ll try to watch Youzny / Murray, Haas / Granollers, Goffin / Pospisil & Robredo / Wawrinka.

Here is today's schedule:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/schedule.aspx?EventId=422
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:00:28 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2013, 10:07:37 AM »
Hasi time  :gleam:

Holds without losing a point 1-0*
Granollers started with DF but managed to hold, while Haas faced 1st bp's but still maneged to win thig game, 2-1*
Easy holds by both now, but Tommy seems a bit nervous. Hopefully it's his game and not shoulder, 3-2*
Granollers looks calmer and more secure so far, Tommy holds but has too many UE's off his forehand, 4-3*
In previuos game Tommy wasted 4 bp chances with some terrible UE's but holds. Granollers serving to stay in match 5-4*

Great focus and determination in this game, Tommy breaks Granollers to win the 1st set 6-4!
Solid 1st set but too many UE's by Tommy, wasted handful of bp's also.
---------------------------------
Tommy to start the 2nd...

Nice 1st hold after starting the set with DF. One marathon point ended with great winner by Tommy, 1-0*
Tommy ultra offensive now breaks to love *2-0!
Haas in absolute control now. Found his game and great angles, secures the break and leads 3-0*
On a cruising mode now, breaks to love again and Tommy's up *4-0!
Not much to say in this game, pretty routine aggressive tennis and 5-0*
Tommy went up 0-30 but gifted away this first game to Granollers, will serve now for match at *5-1

And Tommy does it 6-4 6-1  :gleam:
Too good, simply flawless in the 2nd set, and great mp won.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:25:30 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
So far all of my favorites are through (Federer, Serena, Stan, Victoria, Sloane, and Venus and Blake are on court now.)

Roger said he'll do more 'racket experimentation AFTER the U.S. Open.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »
Blake not on tv court, blasphemy!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
Back for a break before the evening session.

Two good matches today.

First I went to Goffin - Pospisil. It was a long one; 2.5 hours, I'd say. I only stayed for the first two sets. Both played well. Goffin was more steady but Pospisil had the better serve and was more fun to watch. Goffin won 75,16,76.

I was able to keep an eye on things after I moved to Court 3 for Del Potro vs Davydenko. Mertov has pointed out in his blog how many of the courts are close together and that you can often hear, and even see what is happening elsewhere. There was a strange incident, which if I have it right,when Del Potro thought he heard the call OUT from a linesman. It turned out that the call was made on another court. Carlos Bernades, the Chair Umpire, let the point be replayed.
 ..-) But this started me thinking that the proximity of all these courts leads to something like quantum entanglement between atoms when the observation of a state in one of them leads to an outcome in another. It can get weirder when you move one or more of them far away after they become entangled. I continue to play with the idea. Any quantum physicists out there who might comment about court entanglement:scared:

Added at 9pm: Although quantum and Cincinnati tennis court entanglements are on a completely different size scale, in both cases we are dealing with information, its transferral, and probabilities.
It's fun to think of these things  :;:-| when the tennis is slow  :::O.

Back to tennis. Del Potro won the first set with difficulty 7-5 and got the second more easily also 7-5 although there multiple tie breaks and Davydenko played very very well. He is a pleasure to watch as he darts from side to side and in and out of the tennis court.

Finally I went to the main stadium to see Djokovic play Juan Monaco. As people know Monaco is not to be trifled with and at one stage Nole was down a break. To my eyes, he was playing lazily. I thought about the lady who put the curse on Nole by wishing him good luck on the day of the final last year. I left after he won the first set but I happened to run into my friend after and she said most strongly  :lol-cry: that she had nothing to do with it.

Sorry to see Posposil gone but I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of him in the future.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:39:43 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »
Nole, Muzza through. both apparently not too convincing. I wasn't able to watch their matches. that's guys on MTF are saying.

I'm so sad that Vasek lost to Goffin  :(.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:26:30 PM by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »
Euroka1, you lucky dog. Great report. Keep them coming, have fun  :)). btw, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for the hotel and tickets. Did you like get some sort of a package deal?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:29:54 PM by Alex »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
Hi Alex. I don't have the details but the tournament sets me back around $500 for a good but not great (not a box) seat and accomodation, which I get separately about $120 a night. The motel, part of the Baymont chain, caters mainly to the nearby amusement park crowd although there are a lot of tournament attendees at this time of year. It is very family style but it's big thing for me is that you can walk to the tournament in 15 minutes and thus do not have to get into the heavy traffic.  There are lots of fast food places nearby, a convenience store, and 15 minutes walk also, a full supermarket, and a branch of my bank (with ATM!).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:46:53 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
Sad that Pospi lost. He seems to like to lose the first set tightly, and then dominate the second. He did that against Raonic as well. Blake also lost. Another bummer. Isner remains the only one left carrying the flag in Cincy. He apparently did very well today, winning 92% of his first serves and only facing one break point, which he saved.

Kerber carried on through. Dominated the second set after a tough first. Kiri lost again. She seemed to be peaking this year, but has since spiralled downwards fast.

Nadal coming up soon followed by Lauren Davis. Looking forward to those matches!

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »
Rafa cruising as expected. Becker too weak. Unfortunately this is the only televised match in Canada today. TSN for some stupid reason broadcasts only night matches in first few rounds of masters.

4:0 already,  boring. I think I'm gonna go and do something else.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »
Just back from it. Seen live it was probably better but I would never have called it exciting. Rafa showed what he could do on a hard court and Becker put up a creditable but never threatening defence. It was a nice thing to watch on an unususally pleasant night. I enjoyed it more than the Djokovic set earlier on. I just don't think Nole was trying very hard and that could have got him into trouble.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
Yep, again watchable Nadal showed up.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:11 PM »
Just back from it. Seen live it was probably better but I would never have called it exciting. Rafa showed what he could do on a hard court and Becker put up a creditable but never threatening defence. It was a nice thing to watch on an unususally pleasant night. I enjoyed it more than the Djokovic set earlier on. I just don't think Nole was trying very hard and that could have got him into trouble.

Euroka, first of all thanks for great reports and for answering my question. Watching match on TV and actually being there are 2 different things. We all know that. We have only one tournament in Calgary (futures event). tickets are free. I didn't even bother watching Djokovic, because I had to find a decent  live stream (there is no such a thing) plus didn't really expect any surprises. Novak tends to be slow and disinterested when playing first round matches against lower ranked players although Monaco is not exactly a journeyman.

so my point is, I'd rather watch 2 guys  playing locally who are on a similar level, than Djokovic or Rafa on TV spanking some lower ranked players by just showing up (someone might bring an argument that Rafa lost to 2 'nobodies' at W 2 years in a row but that's another story). Nole hasn't lost a match before QF for like last 100 years. the odd matches he did lose this year in QF weren't that important to him. Big 4 guys are constantly calculating IMO.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:51:12 PM by Alex »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2013, 10:27:59 PM »

Euroka, first of all thanks for great reports and for answering my question. Watching match on TV and actually being there are 2 different things. We all know that. We have only one tournament in Calgary (futures event). tickets are free. I didn't even bothered watching Djokovic, because I had to find a decent  live stream (there is no such a thing) plus didn't really expect any surprises. Novak tends to be slow and disinterested when playing first round matches against lower ranked players although Monaco is not exactly a journeyman.

so my point is, I'd rather watch 2 guys  playing locally who are on a similar level, than Djokovic or Rafa on TV spanking some lower ranked players by just showing up (someone might bring an argument that Rafa lost to 2 'nobodies' at W 2 years in a row but that's another story). Nole hasn't lost a match before QF for like last 100 years. the odd matches he did lose this year in QF weren't that important to him. Big 4 guys are constantly calculating IMO.

Of course you would!

That's why, when all you bastages are forced to watch these ridiculous matches because of the marquis names, I'm on the side courts watching some tennis!!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
Check out Robredo! Huge win over Stan.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif