Author Topic: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August  (Read 9564 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
He could be a huge clown at times, yes.

It was almost freaking impossible to lose this, even though I knew it could well happen.
Even with the result of 1st and middle of 2nd set I didn't relax one bit. I knew something could terribly go wrong.

A feeling that Haas fans are well aware off, all these years.

Roger was quick to pour salt in the wound of Haas fans: "this reminded me of (RG) when he was up 2 sets and a break and I came back to win."

Indeed, it was. And we know it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Did he really say that? If so...ouch.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
it doesn't hurt that bad anymore, but the feeling is still there.
 My father's #1 is Rog and #2 Haas, and the whole match I simply couldn't talk to him (not even eye contacts ffs lol), that's how bad it is.
 If I was rubbing it on his nose while Haas was cruising I would understand, but I just knew something terrible is about to happen.

Really rough one to swallow. You don't get better chances that that!
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
If so, why ouch? It's true. It was almost the same.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
Mertov and I sat through two matches; Del Potro - Lopez and Federer - Haas.  :applause: :applause:

The last first: Mertov will be writing at length later but he more or less agrees with Alex and Lugburz. He thought that both played a very scrappy game and in the first set wondered if Fed just wanted out of here. He also thought Tommy could have won it. Still it was all very intense for the spectators who were mostly pro-Fed.  They were starting to wonder what they were going to do with their red Federer T-shirts.

Del Potro - Lopez was interesting. Del P won the first set, lost the second, and won the third 6-4, 1-6, 6-4. I didn't think he was playing as well as he did yesterday against Davydenko and was lucky to get past a very good F. Lopez.

By the timeI got to Tursunov - Ferrer, Ferrer was nearly gone 2-6, 4-6. From what I saw later, Ferrer's first serve percentage was very low, around 50% (it might have been worse). He never seems to do very well here :( .

I did not go into Djokovic - Goffin when I saw the way the score was going. From what Alex says, there were some good things to see.

I was talking to one of the ushers, whom I have come across at the YMCA in Washington. He helps in the same way at the Washington tournament. I was congratulating him on how well he was doing directing the crowds at the Del Potro match. He brushed it off by saying that here in Cincinnati it is a lot easier, they listen and cooperate. However, in Washington, nobody listens to what you say and they all go off and do their own thing.  :dunno:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:13:10 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

Maybe, but it still seems a little insensitive. "It was just like that last time he blew it, too!"

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

Maybe, but it still seems a little insensitive. "It was just like that last time he blew it, too!"

they are very close friends and speaking the truth is the only sensitive and right thing to do.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
 Looking forward for the Rafa/Sharapov match. Gosh, I always support youngsters but Dimitrova irks me the wrong way. I'm torn apart who to support. Part of me wants to see another Fed/Rafa match (they haven't played on outdoor HC forever).... on the other hand I'd like to see some of these 'youngsters' breaking through. oh, well

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
Lugburz - you're a gentleman. I agree with you, I don't think Federer's comment is meant to be derogatory. Sorry that Haas couldn't win despite a strong start. I watched the last set & a half & it could have easily been his match.

Federer so often just loses interest when facing a tough challenge these days & given the poor year he's had, it was important to get through. He did well to go the distance & to take at least some of his chances, having squandered so many. He played a lot freer in the third set, served much better in the latter part of the second set & especially in the third set, and Haas's serve dropped off, particularly in the third set. 

Having had a busy day, I counted myself lucky to watch some of the Del Potro / Lopez match & a bit of the Ferrer / Tursonov match.  Del Potro seemed less focused today, and it was good to see Lopez playing well. He has such a nice game when it's on.
Ferrer just wasn't up to a tussle today - I watched the first set & thought he looked jaded.   

No surprise to see Djokovic & Murray get through easily.  And I expect to see Nadal get through in similar fashion.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:24:13 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
Nadal and Dimitrov lock horns about in 2 minutes.

Haven't seen much of Nadal so it will be good to see how's he doing.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
Just watching Nadal / Dimitro warm up, and Robredo / Berdych start their match. The stands seem quite empty - I haven't noticed them before - have they been full at all? This seems a popular tournament so I'm surprised at the empty seats.

I just looked back at the results & see that Raonic went out to Isner in straight sets.

Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
Break for Nadal already.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
Just watching Nadal / Dimitro warm up, and Robredo / Berdych start their match. The stands seem quite empty - I haven't noticed them before - have they been full at all? This seems a popular tournament so I'm surprised at the empty seats.

I just looked back at the results & see that Raonic went out to Isner in straight sets.

Fed/Haas match was well attended, some empty seats. Nole/Goffin, decent attendance, still empty seats ... Murray/Benn on Grandstand was spooky, I was shocked ... when the match started there were only a few hundred people. It got better after the Fed/Haas match ...

I'm actually surprised a bit that they put Murray on Granstand. And guess what, Murray is scheduled again on Granstand tomorrow. Nole and Fed on CC. Del Potro on CC. Andy's still being treated as a journeyman.  Bryan brothers on court 3  ..-). silly, silly, silly  :whistle:. It doesn't make too much sense to me.

Order of play for tomorrow
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/422/op.pdf?intloc=headernavsub
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:38:04 PM by Alex »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
Great play by Dimitrov who takes 2nd set!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
wow, we have the match now  :applause:. good job Grisha.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:10:44 PM by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
Rafa double break up 5:2. I'm afraid this is over. Good effort from Dimitrov.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
Nadal wins it 6-2, 5-7, 6-2. ESPN2 was showing the idiotic Little League World Series, so I only got to watch from 2-1 in the third. Nadal seemed to have cut down a little bit on the errors, but still making way too many. I'm not too scared of Fed tomorrow night. Fed's just not as into it as he used to be. I feel like Nadal will start pounding the BH as always, and Fed will just get sick of it and go out quick. Here's hoping he doesn't though and it turns out to be a good match!

Again, I don't really expect much from Isner against Djoker :( He'd stand little chance to beat him at his best, and he's nowhere near his best recently. It seems like he's been serving really well recently (as in better even than usual), but his strokes are laced with errors, which will not work against Nole.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »
Dimitrov had a decent game, played fairly well.

He is getting better but the progress is slow.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »
Dimitrov had a decent game, played fairly well.

He is getting better but the progress is slow.

Mertov joined me for part of the Nadal-Dimitrov game. Mert thought, and I agree, that the level of tennis was much higher than the matches we saw during the day.

As noted in Washington, Dimitrov is a lot of fun to watch even if he is losing as long as he is allowed to get into the game. This is mostly denied to him  by the big servers. But tonight, being allowed into a Rafa game is something else and it is here that Rafa's intense practice routine, as observed by Mert yesterday, really bears fruit. To me, it always looked as if Rafa would win, considering the early breaks in the first and third sets but it was still a fun match to watch right to the end. Dimitrov is prepared to try anything and everything to try and get a point. I hope he stays around and progresses the way Swish thinks he is now doing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:20:34 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »

Hi GBY,

The stand was pretty full for the Rafa - Dimitrov match but understandably the others were probably near empty. As well as multiple things going on, people have to eat, and decompress. I must admit to feeling pretty tennis zonked   :eek: at 6:30 this afternoon and I really had to haul myself out to the tennis center for the night match.

...and sorry, there was no way I was going to stay around for the ladies match. :::O