Author Topic: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August  (Read 10459 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Mona Barthel fights her way back into the first set, then just came unglued serving at 4-5. She missed 2 gimme volleys and 2 more turribl misses going into the open court.

Interesting to see Serena slice and hit squash shots while on her heels. Never knew she had other shots in her bag.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »
thx for report euroka, Sorry I'm not in the mood to be more enthusiastic after such a loss today, but you know I appreciate it  ;-()

Darn, it's only losses like this that are hard to swallow, throughout his damn career, always the same when matters more than usual. And when its not that, some darn injury appears or so.

Oddly enough he will play Winston Salem and risk his shoulder even more only a week before USO.
Sometimes I don't get him. It has only passed some days before he had to retire due to his shoulder in Montreal.

:ZZZZZ)
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »
It really doesn't matter. Tommy's a joy to watch. But all this nonsense about him maturing blah blah blah (of course, because he's a father and having a kid always changes your play on court for the better, just ask Stan Wawrinka) is just that--nonsense.

Haas doesn't lose because he has a 1HBH and you can't win today with a 1HBH  ..-) (retarded), Haas loses because his brain is wired like mine.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »
It doesn't matter that much I agree.

But for goodness sake Babbs this match was almost IMPOSSIBLE to lose man.

I don't know I stopped following Tommy's rankings a long ago, but I won't lie to you that I was enthusiastic about top 10 again and secretly hoping for his 1st ever YEC appearance.
Winning this match would have pushed him closer than ever.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
It really doesn't matter. Tommy's a joy to watch. But all this nonsense about him maturing blah blah blah (of course, because he's a father and having a kid always changes your play on court for the better, just ask Stan Wawrinka) is just that--nonsense.

Haas doesn't lose because he has a 1HBH and you can't win today with a 1HBH  ..-) (retarded), Haas loses because his brain is wired like mine.

that's too good Babs  :rofl_2:. short fuse, eh?

now seriously, you know what's funny? Haas 35yo is so much fitter than Dimitrov who is 22yo. I thought Dimitrov was going to collapse in the third set. He has to improve his fitness and stamina. 

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »
Euroka, I guess you didn't have a chance to watch the  Murray/Julien match. Man, I was shocked that only a few hundred people showed up to watch this match. Grandstand empty. After the Fed/Haas match was over people started moving from CC to Granstand but still ... I have an impression that Americans don't care about Murray too much.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2013, 09:57:21 PM »
It doesn't matter that much I agree.

But for goodness sake Babbs this match was almost IMPOSSIBLE to lose man.

I don't know I stopped following Tommy's rankings a long ago, but I won't lie to you that I was enthusiastic about top 10 again and secretly hoping for his 1st ever YEC appearance.
Winning this match would have pushed him closer than ever.

I watched the same match and had the same sinking feeling once Fed broke back in the 2nd set. It was like I said then, Roger was able to hang around long enough for Haas to implode.

Anyway, when I think back to the way the match ended, Tommy looked gassed and was doing a lot of walking as balls went past him. He looks tired. Makes me wonder how wise it is to go to WS the week before you start playing best of 5 sets.

About the YEC, Tsonga has now w/d from the USO. Nishikori has laid an egg since being 1 win from the #10 spot. They keep saying Raonic has a dead arm. It just seems that final spot will fall to the most healthy player. Let's hope he gets a favorable draw at the Open.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

that's too good Babs  :rofl_2:. short fuse, eh?

now seriously, you know what's funny? Haas 35yo is so much fitter than Dimitrov who is 22yo. I thought Dimitrov was going to collapse in the third set. He has to improve his fitness and stamina.

It's more than a short fuse. It's a brain that talks itself into losing. Almagro wasn't always like that, but he's wired that way, too.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:16:06 PM by Babblelot »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
You know that sinking feeling...... Well I felt cheated  :\
If this was GS the score would be like 6-1 5-7 0-6 1-6

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »
You know that sinking feeling...... Well I felt cheated  :\
If this was GS the score would be like 6-1 5-7 0-6 1-6
Lug, I know how you feel but let it go. It's not worth it. I just hope that Haas simply does nothing and rest before the USO. I'm afraid he'll play another tournament ... what's the name of that tournament ... grrr. my brain is damaged  :mad1:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2013, 04:45:22 AM »
Euroka, I guess you didn't have a chance to watch the  Murray/Julien match. Man, I was shocked that only a few hundred people showed up to watch this match. Grandstand empty. After the Fed/Haas match was over people started moving from CC to Granstand but still ... I have an impression that Americans don't care about Murray too much.

I think you are right. Gilbert hardly mentioned him, if at all (but Andy (not Murray) seems also largely forgotten by Brad, too  :\ ) .

Mertov also remarked that Murray seemed always being put on one of the small courts or in a less than premium time slot. He doesn't charm the crowds  :argue:. Berdych meets much the same fate. I remember that he got very upset :cursing: in Washington a few years ago when he couldn't score better than one of the little side courts. He's never been back! :Sad-Bye:

After the Fed - Haas match, I had to go away and decompress  :swoon: and did not give him a thought. It was a big enough effort to get back to the night match. ...and not only is one feeling hungry but the thought of a shower to get all that daytime sunblock off greatly attracts. :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2013, 04:48:50 AM »

But Tommy himself said this in his interview with Gilbert and he ought to know  :) .

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2013, 05:05:56 AM »
Euroka, your reports bring the event to life, and itís much appreciated especially, as you say, it can get tiring to be out at a tournament all day. And a good bath / shower at the end of the day does take on a significance of its own!   :)

Re: the empty stands, thanks for your feedback, Alex & Euroka.  I attend live ATP events regularly, and havenít witnessed it to this extent ( from what I've seen here, and Montreal too looked empty a lot of times)   And it does get tiring. No matter how much one wants to see everything, I agree, itís necessary to be selective.   

Rafa816,  out of all the top players,  Nadal looks the most  effective  at present, which is remarkable given that this is the HC season, apparently his worst surface.    Like you, I expect  the QF with Federer  to be a mere formality.  Not only because of Nadalís existing dominance over Federer, but, as you say, Federer has been  especially vulnerable & impotent this year.  I expect a straight sets win for Nadal.  And beyond the QF,  I canít help smiling at the thought that Cincy is bristling with excellent hard court players, yet to me, Nadal looks the man to beat. 

Lugburz,  I can empathise with how you feel.  It isnít easy to see oneís heroís play to their weaknesses rather than to their strengths.  The disappointment is heightened when they lose a winnable match.   But few players can play like Haas and his is one of the most beautiful games out there. It is a privilege to see him play.  I hope heíll enjoy & do well in whatever tournaments he decides to play.   
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:36:29 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »

Spot on, Babblelot  Just looking at patterns, and how & against whom players win / lose, it is quite interesting to note a certain look / demeanour, and the related effectiveness of play, or lack of it.  How often does one see a superb player just lose his momentum and will to resurrect it, against a less gifted player who is able to rely on his bread & butter game without trouble and remains determined & focused?  The history of the game is littered with examples of those who ought to have won, and lost winnable matches through lack of staying power / lack of belief.  The inability to translate talent to title wins must be a pressure for the player & a cycle of failure / pressure probably ensues. One would expect experience & maturity to help improve things & change patterns, but few seem to be able to make such changes effectively.

When such patterns become readable, the match is probably lost even before it starts.  We'll have a classic example of that today in the Nadal / Federer QF.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:35:02 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2013, 05:23:22 AM »
As for today -  itís my first weekend at home for about 6 weeks & at last I have a day free enough to be able to watch the matches I want to watch. 

Some potentially good ones to look forward to.   Djokovic has had the least taxing draw in my view, &  this ought to keep him relatively fresh in readiness for the business end of proceedings.  Isner is no push over, but he lacks the imagination / depth  to trouble  him & he ought to win in straight sets.
Nadal / Federer is a foregone conclusion, also in straights.  I will however nurture the hope, no matter how unrealistic , that Federer will get through! 

Iím looking forward to the other 2 QFís, as these could be well contested.  Murray / Berdych ought to result in a Murray win, but could go to three sets if Berdych doesnít unravel.
Del Potro / Tursunov  could produce some entertaining tennis.  Iím picking D-P to get through but he isnít looking his best out there and DT could well get through if he plays well.   

When all's said & done it is likely to be a final with Djokovic & either Nadal or Murray. So much for the young hopefuls.   

Hereís the schedule for today:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/schedule.aspx?EventId=422

The only womenís match Iíve watched in full was the Stevens / Sharapova one, and I saw some of the Williams / Bouchard one too, in which EB took the first set.   Iíll try to watch some today as the line up is potentially interesting. But I canít watch everything, and will see if I can find time for Vinci / Jankowic.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:31:53 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2013, 05:49:52 AM »

Haas doesn't lose because he has a 1HBH and you can't win today with a 1HBH  ..-) (retarded), Haas loses because his brain is wired like mine.BOOM!!!  You got it! :(
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2013, 05:58:07 AM »

But Tommy himself said this in his interview with Gilbert and he ought to know  :) .

He said what exactly? Since having a child he's able to keep his composure and not implode under duress?  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

That's nice. I'm glad he can say that on TV. And I'm sure he does know better as he ought to.

Same angst :cursing: :ranting: ridden Tommy.

Anyway, to suggest otherwise is also nonsense. Assuming you've watched Tommy over the (many) years, you ought to know better.

(Did this conversation just take place? Am I in some parallel universe?)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:00:21 AM by Babblelot »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2013, 06:07:38 AM »
(Did this conversation just take place? Am I in some parallel universe?)

Who's Babblelot  :confused1:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2013, 06:10:09 AM »

Spot on, Babblelot  Just looking at patterns, and how & against whom players win / lose, it is quite interesting to note a certain look / demeanour, and the related effectiveness of play, or lack of it.  How often does one see a superb player just lose his momentum and will to resurrect it, against a less gifted player who is able to rely on his bread & butter game without trouble and remains determined & focused?  The history of the game is littered with examples of those who ought to have won, and lost winnable matches through lack of staying power / lack of belief.  The inability to translate talent to title wins must be a pressure for the player & a cycle of failure / pressure probably ensues. One would expect experience & maturity to help improve things & change patterns, but few seem to be able to make such changes effectively.

When such patterns become readable, the match is probably lost even before it starts.  We'll have a classic example of that today in the Nadal / Federer QF.

OKay :PHEW:)

I'm not in a parallel universe after all.

Everything you just said...so true :good:  On the outside, Roger looked completely disheveled and Tommy looked buttoned down. Inside, Roger knew he just had to hang around. And inside, Tommy knew all Roger had to do was hang around.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
DP and Tursunov warming up. Anybody else watching? The board is extremely slow this morning btw. not sure why.