Author Topic: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August  (Read 6852 times)

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
Re: CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
yeah,  I forgot to say. Welcome to the board NRG. that's your new nick, we can't type NadalRG2005 every time. hope you like it  :).

My sentiments exactly  :ZZZZZ) :))

://

Federer fans really hate what they are seeing I think. But I never got a sense of melancholy when my favorite basketball player Michael Jordan was declining. Even when he came back to play for Washington Wizards and was slower and lower. I actually think I enjoyed him at age 38-40 more than the earlier years, because it was really interesting to watch how he went about the game without his athleticism. Showed another dimension to his greatness. Jordan age 38-40 relied more on his skills then ever, and less on his athleticism. I guess a different situation somewhat to Federer's type of decline. Jordan's actual skills never declined, just his speed/quickness/vertical, whereas maybe Federer is losing because of his skills declining (not just his movement).
all true except that this board is a bit different. you won't find any Fed fans hating Rafa or anybody else and vice versa. We joke a lot but that's it. This is not MTF or TW. I already like you btw. You seem like a normal regular guy.

Agreed, and good call on Jordan. I liked him in Wash as well.

It's just, tennis is much more demanding in late years, for obvious reasons. And considering that nowadays tennis leans more to athleticism than skills, it's even harder for players from his generation.

That's true, more about stamina (in terms of the points being longer) now than ever. It was weird to see Federer in the 1st set win most of the 10+ shot rallies. They were very entertaining rallies too. Nadal-Djokovic play more long rallies, but Nadal-Federer play the most entertaining long rallies.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:28:02 PM by NADAL2005RG »
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #281 on: August 16, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »
Fed didn't play his best tennis overall today. But in that last game from 0-40, it was as good as in can get. Mesmerizing stuff indeed.

Hi Lugburz and welcome NRG,

Maybe. But he started off well. The first set was vintage Federer but after the early break in the second , the cracks started to reappear and  by the time we got to the third it was back to the scrappy play we saw in the match against Tommy. Still, for a quarter final, it was unusually good, world class tennis and great to watch. In the early part, I think part of Fed's success was that he did not allow Nadal to get into his long point survival game, but towards the end there was nothing much he could do right.

The tension in the crowd was not as great as at the end of the Djokovic-Isner match but they were a good deal noisier. It was a packed house.

I had an interesting social observation. In the 4 seats next to me there were two youngish couples out for the night. About half-way through, the guys decided they wanted to bond together and the girls did likewise and by starting up  a loud gab-fest, made it clear they were not the least bit interested in the world class tennis that was going on in the court. I did not have to intervene. Some ladies in the next row to the front did it for me. But, I was kind of hoping that the kiss camera would point in our direction so I could really surprise the lady next to me  .

What happens now? I don't think Nadal will have much trouble with Berdych but I wonder whether the Del Potro encounter will go the same way as in Washington. From what I have seen this week, Isner is playing the better tennis. If he plays like he did today against Nole, he has a real chance against Nadal.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:41:37 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
Federer fans really hate what they are seeing I think. But I never got a sense of melancholy when my favorite basketball player Michael Jordan was declining. Even when he came back to play for Washington Wizards and was slower and lower. I actually think I enjoyed him at age 38-40 more than the earlier years, because it was really interesting to watch how he went about the game without his athleticism. Showed another dimension to his greatness. Jordan age 38-40 relied more on his skills then ever, and less on his athleticism. I guess a different situation somewhat to Federer's type of decline. Jordan's actual skills never declined, just his speed/quickness/vertical, whereas maybe Federer is losing because of his skills declining (not just his movement).
all true except that this board is a bit different. you won't find any Fed fans hating Rafa or anybody else and vice versa. We joke a lot but that's it. This is not MTF or TW. I already like you btw. You seem like a normal regular guy.

It's just, tennis is much more demanding in late years, for obvious reasons. And considering that nowadays tennis leans more to athleticism than skills, it's even harder for players from his generation.

Jordan was my player, he had everything a great player should have.

And with the Wizards he had dropped down quite a bit but it didn't bother me at all.
I just wanted to see him play.

Same with Haas, in my case. Except Haas is actually rolling back his prime years again, almost  :))

Haas is amazing. I never thought he would play like he does now at his age.

He has such a solid game and some great shots.

He may play till he's forty the way he's going.  :cool:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
Fed didn't play his best tennis overall today. But in that last game from 0-40, it was as good as in can get. Mesmerizing stuff indeed.

Maybe. But he started off well. The first set was vintage Federer but after the early break in the second , the cracks started to reappear and  by the time we got to the third ir was back to the scrappy play we saw in the match against Tommy. Still, for a quarter final, it was unusually good, world class tennis nd great to watch. In the early part, I think part of Fed's success was that he did not allow Nadal to get into his long point survival game, but towards the end there was nothing much he could do right.

The tension in the crowd was not as great as at the end of the Djokovic-Isner match but they were a good deal noisier. It was a packed house.

I had an interesting social observation. In the 4 seats next to me there were two youngish couples out for the night. About half-way through, the guys decided they wanted to get together and the girls did likewise and by starting up  a loud gab-fest, made it clear they were not the least bit interested in the world class tennis that was going on in the court. I did not have to intervene. Some ladies in the next row to the front did it for me. But, I was kind of hoping that the kiss camera would pointing in our direction so I could really surprise the lady next to me  .

:rofl_2:   That's the way to think.  :king:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »

Maybe. But he started off well. The first set was vintage Federer but after the early break in the second , the cracks started to reappear and  by the time we got to the third ir was back to the scrappy play we saw in the match against Tommy. Still, for a quarter final, it was unusually good, world class tennis nd great to watch. In the early part, I think part of Fed's success was that he did not allow Nadal to get into his long point survival game, but towards the end there was nothing much he could do right.

I had an interesting social observation. In the 4 seats next to me there were two youngish couples out for the night. About half-way through, the guys decided they wanted to get together and the girls did likewise and by starting up  a loud gab-fest, made it clear they were not the least bit interested in the world class tennis that was going on in the court. I did not have to intervene. Some ladies in the next row to the front did it for me. But, I was kind of hoping that the kiss camera would pointing in our direction so I could really surprise the lady next to me  .

Agreed on 1st part

and 2nd part ---  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
CINCINNATI MASTERS 2013, 12-18 August
« Reply #285 on: August 16, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
Just got back home. I see Roger lost, as I thought he would. I taped the match but I hate seeing Roger lose. Should I watch this match? Or will it be the same old thing between these players when they play each other? Maybe I'll just watch the first set and erase the rest? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #286 on: August 16, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »

Thanks ;-()

I think the difference between the 1st set and the remainder of the match is that Nadal started to hit his backhand more forcefully in 2nd set. 1st set, Federer had more freedom because Nadal was hitting too loopy with the backhand and gave Federer time. Although the match was also influenced by the overall consistency of Nadal, and the inconsistency of Federer. Federer won most of the long (10 shots or more) rallies in the 1st set. However as expected he couldn't maintain it for the next 2 sets. Federer needed to win that in straight sets (and I think he was close to doing that at 4-4 in the 2nd set).

Yeah I never kiss but the kiss camera is pretty good idea.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #287 on: August 16, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »

Maybe. But he started off well. The first set was vintage Federer but after the early break in the second , the cracks started to reappear and  by the time we got to the third it was back to the scrappy play we saw in the match against Tommy. Still, for a quarter final, it was unusually good, world class tennis and great to watch. In the early part, I think part of Fed's success was that he did not allow Nadal to get into his long point survival game, but towards the end there was nothing much he could do right.

I had an interesting social observation. In the 4 seats next to me there were two youngish couples out for the night. About half-way through, the guys decided they wanted to bond together and the girls did likewise and by starting up  a loud gab-fest, made it clear they were not the least bit interested in the world class tennis that was going on in the court. I did not have to intervene. Some ladies in the next row to the front did it for me. But, I was kind of hoping that the kiss camera would pointing in our direction so I could really surprise the lady next to me  .

What happens now? I don't think Nadal will have much trouble with Berdych but I wonder whether the Del Potro encounter will go the same way as in Washington. From what I have seen this week, Isner is playing the better tennis. If he plays like he did today against Nole, he has a real chance against Nadal.
hey Euroka, was that Mertov next to you  :rofl_2: (sorry, couldn't help it  :innocent:)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
 :rofl_2:

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »
Just got back home. I see Roger lost, as I thought he would. I taped the match but I hate seeing Roger lose. Should I watch this match? Or will it be the same old thing between these players when they play each other? Maybe I'll just watch the first set and erase the rest? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch it. Fed put up a fight and has his game working fairly well again.

I don't want to spoil it for you so that's all I'll say.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »

That was good for sure. He didn't give up at all.

Did you see the look he had after the handshake. Looked very disappointed.

Nadal is now 7-6 H2H on hardcourts I believe.

In the last 2 games, Roger threw caution to the wind and went for his shots. When he's tight, which he was the first 7 games of the 3rd set, he makes errors. Not just his BH, FH and serve as well. He was ripping BHs in the end. You guys make up your minds it's one thing  ..-)

As soon as Roger got broken at the end of the 2nd set, the match morphed into Tommy Haas-Roger Federer, with Fed playing the part of Haas ("there went my chance...") and Rafa playing the part of Federer ("now I've got him!"). Too bad Roger couldn't at least get it back to 5-5. Kind of anticlimactic after dropping his first service game. As for Rafa, the ultimate competitor. In marquis match ups, he never believes he won't win. That wasn't the case for Roger.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2013, 09:45:12 PM »

hey Euroka, was that Mertov next to you  :rofl_2: (sorry, couldn't help it  :innocent:)

Nah, that's not Mertov!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:46:16 PM by euroka1 »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »

:rofl_2:   That's the way to think.  :king:

I'm one of the few here who can actually picture that. Not a pretty picture :yuk:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2013, 09:46:38 PM »

Jordan was my player, he had everything a great player should have.

And with the Wizards he had dropped down quite a bit but it didn't bother me at all.
I just wanted to see him play.

Same with Haas, in my case. Except Haas is actually rolling back his prime years again, almost  :))

Haas is amazing. I never thought he would play like he does now at his age.

He has such a solid game and some great shots.

He may play till he's forty the way he's going.  :cool:

I don't know what Haas' ranking will be next week, but currently 13. It will be fascinating to see how high he goes. He's an all-surface player, so there won't be any weak portions of the year for him if he stays healthy. Surely top 10 again soon. He's doing an Agassi. In fact he's in a better situation in terms of avoiding injury than Agassi was at age 35-36. Its all about avoiding injury when you get to 35. If he can do that, and hang around for the next 3 years, he may even win a slam title, because Federer/Djokovic are both declining. Of course that still leaves Nadal/Murray in the way; and Haas has a horrific record vs Nadal, but its not like Nadal is there at every slam (Wimbledon maybe is for Haas?).

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »
Haas will be at #13 next week, again.
Top 10 is close and YEC is even closer, considering apart from Shanghai QF's, he doesn't have a lot of points to defend. Also he didn't play Paris and doesn't need to defend anything at USO.

Yeah Babbs, agreed on Fed-Nadal resembling Haas-Fed in a way of winning attitude.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:54:50 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #295 on: August 17, 2013, 02:06:30 AM »
Phew. That was much closer than I expected. Rafa upped his level when he needed to, though, and once he got that break for the second set, Fed pretty much gave up. It was great to see more of the Rafa spirit that made me such a fan in the second set, never thinking he was going to lose, going up to the net, and playing fearlessly in the big points.

Tomorrow will be awesome. I don't think Rafa has anything to fear from Berdych, but their matches usually are fun to watch with Berdych's big game and Rafa's ability to throw it right back at him. And then Isner and Del Po will be fun to watch. Isner apparently playing much better, and hopefully Del Po will play his aggressive game instead of his crap game. Here's hoping that Isner will prove me wrong yet again that he's played like crap recently, and reach his second Master's final! I still can't root for him against Nadal, though. But it'll definitely be nice to see him do well and hopefully get an American back into the Top 20. It's been pretty humiliating for American tennis as of late.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »
Phew. That was much closer than I expected. Rafa upped his level when he needed to, though, and once he got that break for the second set, Fed pretty much gave up. It was great to see more of the Rafa spirit that made me such a fan in the second set, never thinking he was going to lose, going up to the net, and playing fearlessly in the big points.

Tomorrow will be awesome. I don't think Rafa has anything to fear from Berdych, but their matches usually are fun to watch with Berdych's big game and Rafa's ability to throw it right back at him. And then Isner and Del Po will be fun to watch. Isner apparently playing much better, and hopefully Del Po will play his aggressive game instead of his crap game. Here's hoping that Isner will prove me wrong yet again that he's played like crap recently, and reach his second Master's final! I still can't root for him against Nadal, though. But it'll definitely be nice to see him do well and hopefully get an American back into the Top 20. It's been pretty humiliating for American tennis as of late.

Isner was incredible in the Djokovic match. He looks so poised sometimes, like a real slam-contender. And unlike Raonic, the thing that impresses me most is that Isner can hold his own from the baseline. He moves extremely well for his size. I think Isner has a chance vs Del Potro. But you never know how someone will play after getting the big upset. I mean usually they fail the next round. If Isner plays true to form, Del Potro will be in trouble. Either way, I hope it goes 3 hours  ;-()

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2013, 03:48:10 AM »
once he got that break for the second set, Fed pretty much gave up.

Yes! it was more ^^that^^ than BH errors.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2013, 05:53:20 AM »
I was surprised how well Fed played, he hasn't played well for quite some time now so it was good to see him regain his game.

Not too sure what to expect from Del Potro, his level varies so much.

I'm guessing it will be Nadal Potro for the final.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2013, 06:09:36 AM »
Roger was exciting and it was great to see him play so well for most of 2 full sets.

As for the final, John's looking tough. I'll write in Rafa and Isner. Rafa will dismantle Delpo. He may very well do the same to Isner, but if John is on, it could be a bit more interesting.