Author Topic: Notes from the Citi Open . Washington DC 2013  (Read 1469 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Notes from the Citi Open . Washington DC 2013
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
It's tournament time again.  :)

After playing a social game this morning, I drove out to the tennis center to watch the first round of qualies.

By the time I  got there, Donald Young was already consigned to oblivion.  :(

But I did get to see most of a match between Devvarman and Witten. Devvarman was all the time in control and won it 7-5, 6-0. I expected better from Witten. I'd not seen him play before.

The following match between Robby Ginepri and Rhyne Williams  was much more satisfying. Williams was by far the better server; quite spectacular in fact, while Ginepri did best on the rallies. He also won points by :scared: :lmao: coming to the net on occasion which Williams never did. Williams had a lapse and lost the second set but overall was very impressive. He won 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. I had also not seen him before but expect to see much of him in the future. Does anyone know much about his background?  Felt sorry for Ginepri. I always am a bit sad when the seniors lose.  :crying:

...back home to watch Hewitt - Isner in Atlanta. Hewitt loses first set 4-6 but is putting up  characteristically good fight. They are both coming to Washington next week.  :))
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:32:29 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Notes from the Citi Open . Washington DC 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »
Parking on the lawn  is closed because of rain last night  :depressed: so I am not going over today.  It was a good day yesterday.

Monfils has withdrawn, which is sad. I saw Simon yesterday coming from the practice courts so he, at least is there.

Weather looks good for a few days from tomorrow on when the main draw starts.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:24:15 AM »
This is T4U!
Thanks for the report E-Man. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
It was a good day at the tennis today. They have two new courts and one of the objectives was to find their shady seats. But one can't complain about the weather. It was delightfully cool from 4pm on; not inflicting the usual heat and humidity. I ran into my tennis coach from the YMCA of a few years back; the one who taught me a decent backhand and it was fun getting up to date about mutual friends. He now works for Donald Trump at a resort over in Virginia and thus is doing much better for himself than he ever could at the Y.

I was first at one of the new smaller stands and saw two matches. First, Devvarman playing  Rhyne Williams. It was a closer match for Devvarman this time. Williams got an early break in the first set but things went bad towards the end. He had one time warning and then one warning for smashing his racquet and after that never pulled his game together. Devvarman won at 7-5, 6-1.

Then it was on to Denis Kudla (USA wildcard)  verses an Australian qualifier, Sam Groth. Groth is quite something. There must have been something like 15 aces and the speed of the serve is up there at the top (on the small courts there is no meter so can say nothing quantitative). Groth won 7-6, 6-2. That guy is really something to watch but stay out of the way of his serve  :scared: unless you have body armor on  :)>>>> .

Because of the above, I missed the Stepanek - Johnson match. Stepanek won it 7-6, 6-3. I came in on the Mardy Fish - Matt Ebden match just after Ebden had won the first set 6-2. I wondered how, as Ebden was not playing at all well but neither was Mardy. The latter looks in good shape but his game is a pale shadow of what it was when I saw him take the first set off Fed in the Cincy final a few years ago. He has been out for a while but still has a long way to come back. He ended up winning the next two sets 6-1, 6-3. I tried to help Ebden, but in this place when an American is playing an Australian, one's two handed clap sounds barely louder than a one handed one.  :applause: :confused1:

Same to be said for the Blake - Matosevic game. Matosevic won the first set 6-2 but had to fight a lot harder to get the second set on the tie-break against all the loud Blake support and with my almost lone applause  :( :applause: for his winning shots. He serving was very precise, if not as spectacular as Sam Groth's but Blake was very competitive towards the end.

....and Hewitt and Tomic aren't even here yet.  :zipped:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:41:35 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »
Tomic and Hewitt are scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, at the same time.

I'll probably go for Tomic.

BTW I believe I saw Ryan Harrison today NOT coming from the practice courts.
No autograph hunters; not famous enough yet.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:25:54 AM »
A bummer to hear about Blake and Fish.
At this point in their careers one has to wonder if they'll ever find their way back into the top 20.  Tommy Haas is a shining example of what's possible late in one's career, but then again, neither James or Mardy ever made it all the way to the top to start with.

I'm quite surprised you've chosen to watch Tomic over Hewitt. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »

But I'll stay clear of his Dad :head-bash: .

According to the morning paper, Groth had 20 aces yesterday and is "credited with the fastest serve ever clocked, at 163 mph" .

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »
thx a bunch euroka, I missed this, keep it up man  :gleam:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »

But I'll stay clear of his Dad :head-bash: .

According to the morning paper, Groth had 20 aces yesterday and is "credited with the fastest serve ever clocked, at 163 mph" .

That is a fast serve, I wonder what racquet setup he has.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
I had another good day at the tournament. I parked for  most of the time at the smaller Stadium1 court, which offers from the upper seats  :cloud 9:, shade, a breeze and a pleasing view of the apparently affluent residential neighborhood across parkland along with a good view of the court.  Much nicer than the main stadium which is too hot   :PHEW:) in the afternoon.

First up was a match between Jack Sock and Igor Sijsling, which Sock won comfortably 6-4, 6-2. Interestingly, Mohamed Lahyani was the Chair Umpire, even though it was one of the smaller courts. Normally one only sees him at the big matches. In my shady seat, I could view the scoreboard in the main stadium and when I saw that Somdev Devvarman had won a first set over last years winner, Alexandr Doglopolov, I though it time to go over and see what was up. Devarrman is Mr. Consistency; nothing flamboyant, just careful shots. Doglopolov, on the other hand lives dangerously all the time and is really fun to watch. He tries anything and everything at different stages of the match and is clearly having a wonderful time doing it. Unfortunately he lost today 3-6, 6-7 and I must admit to being sorry to see him go.

Then back to my perch at Stadium1 for the Tomic - Goffin match. Tomic was on his best behavior and there was no awkward parent in sight. He only needed to play well as Goffin was really very routine. I expected better. Tomic won 6-1, 6-3. While this was going on, I kept an eye on the main stadium scoreboard and noted that Ryan Harrison was giving Lleyton Hewitt a hard time. It was awfully noisy there and I did not want to go into the heat of that particular kitchen so I stayed put. Harrison won 6-3, 7-5  :mad1: . Next up in my stand was a good match between X-man Malisse and Grigor Dimitrov. I've been a long term Malisse fan but I had not seen Dimitrov play before. The game was a good one, mostly following serve  but Dimitrov had the slight advantage and won 7-6, 7-4.

Then came Davydenko and Marinko Matosevic (who beat James Blake yesterday evening).It was a close match. Davydenko impresses with his outstanding physical condition. After all, he's been round for quite a long time. Still, Matosevic kept up the pressure as he did with Blake and eventually won with 6-4, 7-5.

Sam Groth, the big server, was unlucky enough to draw another big server Milos Raonic at the last of the night matches in the main stadium. I sat through part of that while they threw bombs at each other. I did not see the whole match but while I was there, Groth hit one serve at 147 mph. But, not surprisingly, Raonic had slightly the better overall game and he ended up winning 7-5, 6-4.

Yes, lots of tennis in a very full day. I was sorry about Lleyton but I expect he'll be there at Cincy again.  :) Don't see him quitting just yet.   :no-no-no:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:34:22 AM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 05:42:35 AM »
What a great way to start the morning!
 :coffee: and a court report from the E-Man. :king:

Interesting observation re: Davydenko's fitness.
I think the dude is a workhorse with limited ability.
I don't care much for his tennis but certainly admire what he's done
with the skill set he has.  He's a pro tennis player!!! ://
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »

Hi MT, yes, you have it right. But looking at him bounding  about the court, there seems not to be an ounce of unnecessary fat on that body.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
Euroka, I really enjoy reading your reports.  Keep them coming as much as you can find the time.
Best

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »

Hi MT, yes, you have it right. But looking at him bounding  about the court, there seems not to be an ounce of unnecessary fat on that body.
He seems to be a machine when it comes to fitness.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »
The rain came and I decided to come home rather than wait around. It was not a good day :mad1: .

How primitive, they don't have streaming until the 4th day  :mad1:

Really sucks they don't stream Stepanek-Llodra, a match where tennis returns from 2010s baseline defending to 1990s S&V.
and this is supposed to be the best match of the year IMHO. I'd pay $100 to see this match.

Alex, this would have been a lousy investment. I went to the match. There was very little S/V and what good stuff there was came almost entirely from Stepanek. Llodra could not do a thing right. He served badly, hit ground strokes out and his S/Vs were almost all aborted. Stepanek won 6-2, 6-1. It was over in no time. Llodra's 4-5 year old son was sitting in front of me and tried to save the situation by calling a plaintive "Papa" from time to time but it did not help. I could not even applaud Stepanek's good shots under the circumstances.

I had time to wander before settling in for the Tommy Haas match and was around long enough to see that Mardy Fish was playing a lot better today in his match against Benneteau. He won 6-3, 7-5.

Tommy was playing really badly in the first set of his match against Tim Smyczek. 3 double faults, 37% success on first serve. In the second set he regained some of his customary form. 3 more double faults but 4 aces and 78% on first serves. When I last checked, things were still stuck on him winning the first game of the third set. I hope he retrieves a win from what was a bad situation. Score is 3-6, 7-5, 1-0.

I do not plan to go out to the tournament tomorrow. The weather forecast is bad so there probably will not be parking available. Things look good climate-wise for Friday and the weekend.  :)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:56:10 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:51 AM »
They never did get started again last night.  :rain:

Postponed matches to be resumed at 2pm.

Tennis Channel coverage promised from 4pm. A good day for remote observing, me thinks.  ;;)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
Thx for the report as always.
It looked bad on scoreboard. *4-3 Smyczek 30-15 and then Tommy re-breaks to snatch the set.
Hopefully he can turn it around after play resumes.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
Thx for the report as always.
It looked bad on scoreboard. *4-3 Smyczek 30-15 and then Tommy re-breaks to snatch the set.
Hopefully he can turn it around after play resumes.

He really had the crowd behind him, which must have lifted his spirits.  :thumbs-up: :grind dance: :trampoline: :applause:

I notice that, as expected, grass parking is closed today because of the recent rain. More storms are expected this afternoon, which will not help the scheduling.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
Thanks Euroka. great reports.

I'm still upset that I wasn't able to catch any matches. no live streams available  ..-).

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 04:41:41 AM »
Did anyone watch the match between Dolgopolov & Devvarman ?? How was it ??

saw Devvarman's match with Isner on TV today..Devvarman lacks power !! :(
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.