Author Topic: Notes from the Citi Open . Washington DC 2013  (Read 1906 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Notes from the Citi Open . Washington DC 2013
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 05:07:34 AM »
Did anyone watch the match between Dolgopolov & Devvarman ?? How was it ??

saw Devvarman's match with Isner on TV today..Devvarman lacks power !! :(
Read reply #9 in this thread. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 05:13:16 AM »

:thank-you: :thank-you:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 05:15:58 AM »
I remember seeing Devarman play for the first time against Isner.
It was the NCAA final.
He looked to be just a grinder with limited options for improvement.
That was a few years ago and it looks like his game hasn't changed a whole lot. :Confused:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 06:03:58 AM »
& thats why he's still not in top 50..there's  nothing exceptional about his game apart from the fact that he is consistent with his shots & he can run all day long..in short, a grinder. :D
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »

Yes, that's just about the way it was. Devarrman does lack power but gets as far as he gets through consistency. I really enjoyed watching Dogopolov and hope to see him again at Cincy in about 10 days time.

I was glad I took the day off yesterday. Only downside was having to listen to Justin Gimmelstob opine on the problems of Australian tennis. What he said was mostly true but I just don't like to hear it from him  :mad1: .

Today looks like a perfect day for the quarters. I'll go out at about noon with lots of sunblock. Humidity is expected to become lower in the afternoon which will be nice.

First up is Tursunov vs Matosevic. I am surprised that both of them got this far but I now understand how Matosevic does it. I did not wait up for the end of the Tommy Haas match last night and I'm glad he got through. The match with Dimitrov should be a good one and will test Tommy's endurance.

I'll also wait around for the last match of the night between Del Potro and Anderson. That will be an interesting one to watch.

....and I won't have to listen to Justin.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:26:46 AM by euroka1 »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »
Nice thread, Euroka.  I enjoy your feedback from the live tennis.

The days play looks great - have a great time, & I look forward to your subsequent comments.

Carpe Diem

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
A bummer to hear about Blake and Fish.
At this point in their careers one has to wonder if they'll ever find their way back into the top 20.  Tommy Haas is a shining example of what's possible late in one's career, but then again, neither James or Mardy ever made it all the way to the top to start with.

I'm quite surprised you've chosen to watch Tomic over Hewitt. ;-()

I think both are pretty much ready for the coaching chair, or maybe broadcasters.
It's a bit unfortunate for Blake with all the injuries he's dealt with. Especially breaking his neck on a practice court at Wimbledon just as he was playing his best tennis.
Unfortunate, but expected for Fish. He just never took his career (specifically his fitness) seriously enough until the last couple years. Buy then it was too late to really make a move.
Hewitt still being around surprises me.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
haven't seen any matches. Feel bad for Blake as I've always liked him so much. Kinda still hope he'll have one great run.

Dmas is right about Fish.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
As Lugburz surely knows, Tommy Haas came out firing  :)>>>> :)>>>> and never stopped. Dimitrov did likewise for the first half of the first set and there were some spectacular fireworks between them. However as the set moved on to the first tie-break Dimitrov couldn't keep up the pace and in the second set, although he won serve, it was always by a narrower margin than Haas and one knew that if it went to another tie-break that Tommy would win it. So it happened, 7-6, 7-6.

The Tursunov - Matosevic match was very close. I had not seen Tursunov for some years and was surprised how good his serve was. The two kept pace a set a piece and until the tie-break in the third when, as I recall, Matosevic was leading 3 -1 when he suddenly developed a severe camp in his leg, and someone said, his racquet hand. In short, he then hobbled to defeat. That was sad  :( . It is tough when the body lets you down like that. Score 6-3, 4-6, 7-6.

The Isner - Baghdatis match was distinguished by having only one tie-break set, which Baggy won! He played a good game with some nice touch but in the end it was the Isner serve. Still, Isner was not as overwhelming as he can be. Scores 6-7, 6-4, 6-4 shows it.

It was during the last match of the night between Del Potro and Anderson when tennis balls rained on the spectators in the stands. One of Del Potro's overheads came uncomfortably close to me. It is disconcerting  :scared: to see a tennis ball coming at you fast. Anderson did well in the first set but it was mostly his serve while Del P had other things as well like his famous ground strokes and some surprisingly effective approaches to the net. Score 7-6, 6-3. Anderson more or less gave up when he lost the first set tie-break at love.
I'm glad Del Potro won. I was telling myself that the last thing I wanted to see was another Anderson - Isner final.  :::O

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:54:12 PM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 03:48:34 AM »
@ Euroka-  I've only seen Dogopolov a couple times, but like his style (aside from the service motion :;:-|). 
As much as I enjoy Gimmlestob's perspective & knowledge about tennis, how he conveys that info often grates on my nerves as well.
I've always thought Tursunov was an under-achiever.  He seems to be playing a bit better recently.  Will have to wait and see if that trend continues.

@DMast-  I really like what I've seen of Blake's personality.  It will be interesting to see what type of life he chooses to lead once he leaves the tour.  It was nice to see Fish finally make a push to realize his potential, though a bit late in his career.  If I were in his shoes, I don't think I'd sleep well at night wondering what might have happened if I applied myself earlier in my career.

Many thanks again Euroka for giving us a glimpse of this tourney through your eyes. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »
Great insight again euroka,
Yep I knew this one would be a cracker. The very 1st 5 games of Haas-Dimitrov were simply astonishing. One of the best tennis I've seen this year. Both were that well.
Quality dropped after it which is only natural, because if they continued to play that well, it could have been one of the best matches of all time. No, I'm not exaggerating. It was that good. Can't wait to see it again.

Didn't watch Isner-Baggy, sad to see Baggy lose.

Anderson played and served fairly well in the 1st but the outcome was never in doubt after the TB. If I remember well DelPo already broke him at the start of the 2nd and dictated the match 'til the end which I missed. But highly expected.

Now I'm eager to see Haas-DelPo. Such a bad match-up for Tommy, but maybe he can put up more fight this time?
At least a set would be nice this time  ..-)

Auf Geht's!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:10:19 AM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »
Yes, those early games of Haas-Dimitrov reminded me of the intensity of Djokovic-Federer in the semis at the 2011 AO. Never have I seen anything to cap that.

I am having computer problems on my main desktop today so probably will not go out to the tournament. All the more reason for going to the final tomorrow!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
I'm glad Del Potro won. I was telling myself that the last thing I wanted to see was another Anderson - Isner final.

Looool!  Euroka!      Isner is indeed through to the final, and Del Potro was, indeed, most obliging! 

Enjoy your time there tomorrow for the finals.

Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
That was the quite best final that I have been at for several years  :lmao: . As so often happens, Del Potro took the whole first set to get up to speed. I've been seeing this for years but never get used to it   :confused1: .  In losing the first set, he was playing far below the standard he showed in the Anderson match the other night. Meantime, Isner played really well doing great things, including volleys, in addition to his monster serve. Del P certainly found the Isner serve hard to handle then but once the second set got started, he got used to it and really caught fire with a number of truly spectacular winners. Then Isner began to look discouraged and his serve dropped off. Del Potro was really playing world class tennis in the second and third sets and it was a privilege to be able watch it live. Score 3-6,6-1,6-2

The crowd was certainly behind Isner all the time  :grind dance: :applause: :thumbs-up: :grind dance: but gave credit and acknowledgement to Del Potro when he did great things. It was all very excitable, The oasis of calm was the players box, quite close to my seat, where Franco Davin, Del P's coach looked as though this was all part of the days work and that he had seen it all before. Mohamed Lahyani  was again the Chair Umpire. I admire him greatly. He makes the calls loud and clear and is not frightened to intervene with a line call if he sees it necessary. He is occasionally wrong, but not often and it does take courage to do this. He is also good at firmly silencing the noisy elements in the crowd, for example, when they yell out or clap before a second serve.

I did go out for the doubles final which was won by Benneteau and Zimonjic  over Fish and Stepanek 7-6, 7-5. Fish and Stepanek seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. Stepanek is even more fun to watch in doubles than in singles.

It was a good tournament, attended selectively, and I'm glad I saw what I did. I'll be driving to Cincinnati next Saturday and it will all start again but this time with more big names (but not necessarily better matches). I recall the two Djokovic finals that were a real let down there because Nole did not seem to be trying.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 06:20:53 PM »
One of these days I have to get to a tournament to see the top players....   :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »
One of these days I have to get to a tournament to see the top players....   :)

You should. More than most, Del Potro can be best appreciated seen live. Somehow, the power of his game doesn't fully come across on TV.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 05:07:54 AM »
Sensational report to cap the tourney!

When will DPot do a proper warm up and come hot & ready to play, right from the first toss?

From what I've seen (on the tube), is that Lahyani seems to enjoy his work as much as the players and is always quite capable.

Your observation of Franco Davin is good stuffsss!

Nice to hear you attended the dubs final as well!
What did you think of Zimonjic?  He has been at the top of the dubs tour for some time now but gets shorted by fans and press alike.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 06:44:35 AM »
That was the quite best final that I have been at for several years  ..................

I did go out for the doubles final which was won by Benneteau and Zimonjic  over Fish and Stepanek 7-6, 7-5. Fish and Stepanek seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. Stepanek is even more fun to watch in doubles than in singles.

It was a good tournament, attended selectively, and I'm glad I saw what I did. I'll be driving to Cincinnati next Saturday and it will all start again but this time with more big names (but not necessarily better matches). I recall the two Djokovic finals that were a real let down there because Nole did not seem to be trying.

Thanks for your reports, Euroka.  and for bringing the tournament to life for us.   I watched the final & am not surprised that you thought so highly of it.  There was some quite superb tennis on display.  And I agree about watching live - there is nothing like it.  Del Potro is incredible - not just the power but the ability / finesse.

How wonderful to enjoy a good doubles final too.   I look forward to your Cincy reportage!!  :) 
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
Thanks GBY and MT. It really was a great final.

From what I've seen (on the tube), is that Lahyani seems to enjoy his work as much as the players and is always quite capable.
What did you think of Zimonjic?  He has been at the top of the dubs tour for some time now but gets shorted by fans and press alike.
......  My memory is that he even enjoyed those verbal jousts  :lol-cry: :cool: with Andy (not Murray) (absence does make the heart grow fonder). He is also scrupulously neutral. I remember from a couple of years how Wayne Brian, who does a lot of the crowd warm-ups here, tried to draw him out on how the tournament was going and he got zero response  :zipped: .

My problem with pro doubles is that it all goes so fast. My neuron networks are timed to my social games and they just can't keep up. Zimonjic seems a low profile sort of chap and he certainly plays very well in doubles. He put in an appearance at one of the kids events here this year which I thought was a nice gesture.  :)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
Awesome reports Euroka! good to see/hear what people feel when they watch these pros live :)