Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Service Returns Missed by the Top 3 (ATP)

(1/2) > >>

dmastous:
One thing that amazes me is just how few service returns Djokovic, Nadal & Murray miss. You can throw Federer in there, and perhaps a couple other players. But that to me is what sets these guys apart from, literally, the rest of the ATP tour.
I've never heard this discussed, I'm curious if anyone else agrees with me that this is one of the main reasons these guys are so dominate.

Tennis4you:
It's a huge bonus to neutralize some of these guys big weapons.  What helps even more if that all 4 of those guys have such great defense that even if their return is not perfect they still have a chance due to their speed and shot making abilities to stay in a point and potentially turn it around into offense.

mav140:
well, if you are talking just about service returns, I would add Ferrer into that equation... I mean, yeah it's a BIG plus!! but to be honest, you have to look at the talent or work these guys put. I mean, to get an ace on Ferrer is practically impossible, but he doesn't have the shot making those 4 guys do, mentality and talent. But yeah, I do agree. This is one "factor" that sets aside these guys from the rest of the pack!

Lugburz:

--- Quote from: mav140 on August 13, 2013, 03:39:30 PM ---well, if you are talking just about service returns, I would add Ferrer into that equation... I mean, yeah it's a BIG plus!! but to be honest, you have to look at the talent or work these guys put. I mean, to get an ace on Ferrer is practically impossible, but he doesn't have the shot making those 4 guys do, mentality and talent. But yeah, I do agree. This is one "factor" that sets aside these guys from the rest of the pack!

--- End quote ---

agreed.

dmastous:
I would put Ferrer in that group as well. He's very consistent.
Scott, I know what you mean, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's actually part of what I've been to for a long time. Not taking chances that have a low percentage of panning out.
I've seen so many players (and have done so myself when I played) going after too much on the service return, trying to take advantage of a fairly weak serve. The top players just don't do that. They know what they can do, and don't attempt to do more. So they put themselves into a better place to perhaps winning a point, instead of going after a big return, and loosing the point right there.
It takes tremendous discipline and focus to do that and the top players have that in spades.
That being said Nadal got a lot more of Raonic's serves back, and once that happened Raonic was toast. No way Raonic was going to win a baseline battle with Nadal, and his attempts to get to the net were pretty much pathetic. So that is part of the equation, just not the part I'm talking about here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version