Author Topic: Anyone played Topspin on the XBOX?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Anyone played Topspin on the XBOX?
« on: December 29, 2004, 10:48:44 AM »
Recently played Topspin tennis game on the Xbox having been wiating to try it out for sometime and its turned out to be a bit of disappointment. In the 4 years since the second Virtua Tennis title came out on the Dreamcast, tennis games have not moved on at all, and the reviews for Topspin claimed that it surpassed Virtua tennis. It feels to me that Topspin takes a lot of the 'easy to pick up for newcomers' elements of Virtua Tennis and adds in unrealistic elements like a 'risk shot' which is an interesting concept, but really contributes to the untennis like feel to the game because these shots are really hard to keep in and impossible to return if your AI opponent hits them. Other problems include the ridiculously high bounce of the topspin shots and the articficial unintelligene of the computer opponents who reveal where they are going to serve by their service motion stance. Its just disappointing that after all this time Virtua Tennis is still the benchmark for tennis games.  Compare this to Konami's football (or soccer) simulation called Pro Evolution Soccer 4 which has to be the most realistic simulation of any sport ever. I guess the sales of Tennis games just don't justify pouring a huge amount of R and D into making an amazing one, unlike soccer games.

Top spin does have some good points though:

Pete Sampras' serve, the greatest motion of all time, has been recreated perfectly, as has his beard.
The graphics are good (but this is the least important aspect of a game in my opinion)
A wide variety of different serve types can be employed (flat, kicker, slice and risk)- this could not be done in Virtua Tennis

I've also played Smash Court Tennis 2 on the PS2 and thought that became boring very quickly.

Anyone else played the game and care to agree/disagree with my opinions?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 11:01:42 AM »
I have never played those games, but wouldn't mind trying.  Games are addicting to me.  I used to play Quake 2 WOD online in deathmatch.  I would play about 3+ hours per day. and I even got to #1 in the world on the ranking system.  I am nto good at doing things in small bits.  I had to go cold turkey just over a year ago to get away from Quake.

Can you play dubs in that game?  With your partner sitting next to you on the controls?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Doubles
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 11:23:01 AM »
Yeah, you can play doubles if you have four controllers because the XBOX has 4 controller ports. More interesting though is the online features for the game where you can play against others online and be a part of the online  world rankings.  Maybe the game is actually better for this purpose rather than playing against the computer.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 11:32:45 AM »
I find that most games are better for the online use when there is that option.  If I could get online and play I would never stop.
Scott Baker

Offline philip

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 11:37:14 AM »
I've got Topspin. You can't turn off vibrations online,so.. It messes with my elbow..no more topspin for me!

its good game though

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 12:52:16 PM »
Let me put it this way.  Tennis 2k2 is the greatest tennis game ever!  Period.  One problem with the game is it's really hard to hit aces but it's still the best.  Another is you can't really adjust the time and weather settings when your say playing at a tournament (can only play at night at the US open).  The atmosphere of the stadiums has a much better feel than say the ones in Topspin.  It would also be awesome if there were more sequels to this game where we can create our own courts.  

Topspin is completely overrated.  There are new elements to the game that Tennis 2k2 lacked but don't make the game more realistic.  There's the risk shot which places to much emphasis on racquet speed to hit winners.  In Sega tennis, you can control your racquet speed manually and it's also more realistic because managing footwork plays an important role in hitting winners unlike Topspin.  

Topspin is also very emotionless, and the stadiums look like crap.  The controls can also be very unresponsive since I tend to whif on many occasions.

If your looking for a tennis game that combines fun, atmosphere, and some realism, look no further than tennis 2k2.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 02:22:14 PM »
I have both 2k2 and Topspin and there's pros and cons of both but I like Topspin better.

Only thing 2k2 lacks is a good computer mode that you can play through to win the game and I wish they had music on the tournaments becuase the dead silence is kinda boring when playing through the matches. Topspin is more realistic than 2k2 and I can appreciate everything about it more than 2k2. What can ya say, th e upgrade is always better.

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 02:51:43 PM »
I have topspin for The Xbox and I have to say I quite enjoy it.

First and foremost it is a Video Game and no tennis video game is ever going to be better than actually getting on the court.

The game was designed to sell and much like real tennis, you like it more when you're winning. If they actually made it as challenging as the real game they wouldn't have sold half as many copies as they have. The game is easy to play and easy to pick and might I add pretty easy to beat. Last night I beat James Blake(one of the best players in the actual video game, which I think is because the programmers liked his hair) 3-0, 3-0 in the Wimbledon Final, and Lleyton Hewitt 3-0, 3-0 in the Australian Open Final.

I haven't always beaten these guys like this....and I have had my ass handed to me by the computer before, namely Micheal Chang. There always seems to be one player in the game that gives you an insanely hard time, while you beat everyone else no problem. Face Sampras in the quarters, no problem, Hewitt in the Semi, peice of cake, Chang in the Final.....CRAP!

The game is still fun and the create you own player features are awesome. You can adjust the masteries and weaknesses of your player to accomodate your style of playing. I used to play in real life with a Head i.Radical OS and they have that racquet in the game with the blue tournagrip handle and all. So I could make me!

Doubles play is really fun to do especially with 4 guys at the controllers. Me and my sister's fiancee faced James Blake and Micheal Chang on the hardest setting at the US Open and we went for 5 sets. The scores were tight with the final set being decided in a tiebreaker. Loads of fun!

I hear they are going to make a sequel and personally I can't wait.
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 03:51:18 PM »
Mad Goat, you do not get away with it that easily...  Who won the 5th set tie-breaker?
Scott Baker

Offline philip

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 05:11:26 PM »
Scott, you're funny.  :lmao:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 07:34:18 PM »
Maybe, but I still want to know...  :)
Scott Baker

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 12:44:51 PM »
Naturally, we won in the breaker with a sampras like smash.

hahahah

very funny scott, nice try

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 12:50:06 PM »
crap, I still do not know what is so funny, I was dead serious.  :)~
Scott Baker

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 01:38:05 PM »
now what has to happen is everyone gets an xbox and topspin and xbox live....and then we can have a series of tournaments....prolly 2 qualifier tournies and then the final tourny.

and you can't all be pete sampras....although I will understand if you don't want to play as yourselves....hehehe I prolly shouldn't either :)~ :whistle:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »
I am too short to be myself if I am playing experts.  I call dibs on Sampras.

We will have the Tennis4you tournament.  BIG PRIZE MONEY!  Well, big if you are 3 years old.
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 05:12:31 PM »
That would be awesome tho. If we could all get together over the game and have a tourney. That would be sweet

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 05:17:33 PM »
It would be sweet until I laid the smack down.  :)
Scott Baker