Author Topic: 2013 US Open thread MEN - OFFICIAL  (Read 28832 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: 2013 US Open thread MEN - OFFICIAL
« Reply #800 on: September 03, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
LOL I just realized Novak double baggeled Granollers   :rofl_2: Way to go  :gleam:

You must be very pleased  Alex :good:
well, it was a joke match. Nole was toying with him like a cat with a mouse. It was actually a boring match. I think it took only an hour or so ...

sure it was a very pleasant joke match  ;-() Nice to see Granollers being taught a lesson on hard courts Hasi style  :)~
If you ask me, he had no business going this far anyway.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #801 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
Djokovic looks almost as good as Federer did for 3 rounds  :rofl_2:
Draws today....
yeah, Piggy's draw is so tough too  ..-)

Kohl is the fifth best player in the draw. I haven't seen Berdych/Wawrinka play like Kohl did.
Kohli, Youzny ... same thing. They can challenge Nole or Rafa but that's it. No matter how you put it, it's very difficult to win best of 5 against top players. Rafa has an open path to the final as both Robredo and Ferrer are his pigeons. I don't think he'll lose a set to those two. Djokovic will have to deal with Murray first and that's gonna be a tough one.

Also if Wawrinka beat Berdych and Murray, he'd trouble Djokovic. Although I think Murray will be in the semi, so never mind.

Wawrinka looking mighty good now  :)
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #802 on: September 03, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »
Honestly, I didn't expect this. Kudos to Wawrinka.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2013 US Open thread MEN - OFFICIAL
« Reply #803 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »
Go Stan!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #804 on: September 03, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
Stan Wawrinka :yahoo:

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #805 on: September 03, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
well, Murray (if he wins his match against Istomin) vs. Wawrinka should be a really interesting QF match. Their H2H is 8:5 Murray, but last time they played at the USO in 2010 Wawrinka def. Murray pretty convincingly 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 6-3, 6-3.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:09:29 PM by Alex »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: 2013 US Open thread MEN - OFFICIAL
« Reply #806 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
46 rally between Youzhny and Hewitt  ..-) ..-)

How many were slices. That's about as long as it gets.

Anyone know the record?

Monfils and Simon had a +70 ball rally earlier this year.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #807 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:02 PM »
well, Murray (if he wins his match against Istomin) vs. Wawrinka should be a really interesting QF match. Their H2H is 8:5 Murray, but last time they played at the USO in 2010 Wawrinka def. Murray pretty convincingly 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 6-3, 6-3.

yeah it was pure gem. I was so happy back then. It was his first slam QF if I'm not mistaken.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: Re: 2013 US Open thread MEN - OFFICIAL
« Reply #808 on: September 03, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »
46 rally between Youzhny and Hewitt  ..-) ..-)

How many were slices. That's about as long as it gets.

Anyone know the record?

Monfils and Simon had a +70 ball rally earlier this year.

-The longest women's match (by time) took place at a tournament in Richmond, Virginia, in 1984, when Vicki Nelson took 6 hours, 31 minutes to defeat Jean Hepner 6–4, 7–6(11–9). The match featured a 29-minute, 643-shot rally, the longest in professional tennis history.

:scared: :scared:

seriously I get dizzy just looking at this stat.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:33:44 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #809 on: September 03, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »
Nadal regains the #1 ranking if Djokovic misses the final and Nadal wins the US Open. So I wonder who is more likely to beat Djokovic in the semi. Murray I guess. But Wawrinka is playing perhaps better right now and came within a whisker of beating Djokovic at the AO this year. Although maybe its best that Djokovic makes the final so Nadal can get his 6th win over Djokovic in their last 7 meetings. The #1 ranking can wait another couple of weeks.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #810 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:59 PM »
Murray managed to win but he was not convincing at all. He was too passive. not too impressed. Istomin played well but was pretty poor on key points.

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #811 on: September 04, 2013, 01:13:13 AM »
Murray didn't need to invest too much energy. he's conserving himself for a possible encounter with Djokovic. Djokovic as always doesn't leave anything for granted. I almost thought we'll have the 7th triple bagel of the open era when I saw the scoreline (I was reading right to left). So close. :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:13:58 AM by Slasher1985 »

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #812 on: September 04, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »
Istomin was a good sport. After that ridiculous point on break point that Murray won to break him to go up in the fourth, Istomin gave him a high five during the changeover!  :thumbs-up:

So, now the quarters are set.

Nadal vs. Robredo - Eh, probably not much to see here. Robredo had some excellent shot making against Federer, but Fed hasn't been playing his best and Nadal's been at the top of his game. Nadal leads the series 6-0, so I'm assuming Robredo freezes against Nadal like most Spaniards do.

Gasquet vs. Ferrer - Ferrer has already surprised me by making it this far. I really didn't expect him to. Now he goes up against a pretty in-form Gasquet. It might be a pretty interesting match. I hope Gasquet can pull it out. The fast hard courts definitely favor him over Ferrer.

Djokovic vs. Youzhny - Not expecting much from this one. Nole will probably pick apart Youzhny in no time. Youzhny has been playing pretty well, but he had a long match against Hewitt and he's already pretty old, so fitness will definitely be a key issue against Nole, who will probably wear out his legs within the first set, then finish destroying him.

Wawrinka vs. Murray - It was great to see Wawrinka pull the upset on Berdych. Ever since that amazing match with Djoker at the AO, I've been a fan of Wawrinka, and he's been doing really well this year. It would be awesome to see him take out Murray, which I think he's capable of with how well he's playing and how Murray still seems to be pretty lethargic on the court.

So, I'm hoping for Nadal/Gasquet and Djoker/Wawrinka semis, but I know that Nadal/Ferrer and Djoker/Murray is PROBABLY more likely, but who knows? I guess we'll see what happens. I'd be fine with either a Nadal/Djoker or Nadal/Wawrinka final. Both sound entertaining! Nadal seems to be a shoe in for the final. I don't see Ferrer or Gasquet troubling him too much.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #813 on: September 04, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
Istomin was a good sport. After that ridiculous point on break point that Murray won to break him to go up in the fourth, Istomin gave him a high five during the changeover!  :thumbs-up:

So, now the quarters are set.

Nadal vs. Robredo - Eh, probably not much to see here. Robredo had some excellent shot making against Federer, but Fed hasn't been playing his best and Nadal's been at the top of his game. Nadal leads the series 6-0, so I'm assuming Robredo freezes against Nadal like most Spaniards do.

Gasquet vs. Ferrer - Ferrer has already surprised me by making it this far. I really didn't expect him to. Now he goes up against a pretty in-form Gasquet. It might be a pretty interesting match. I hope Gasquet can pull it out. The fast hard courts definitely favor him over Ferrer.

Djokovic vs. Youzhny - Not expecting much from this one. Nole will probably pick apart Youzhny in no time. Youzhny has been playing pretty well, but he had a long match against Hewitt and he's already pretty old, so fitness will definitely be a key issue against Nole, who will probably wear out his legs within the first set, then finish destroying him.

Wawrinka vs. Murray - It was great to see Wawrinka pull the upset on Berdych. Ever since that amazing match with Djoker at the AO, I've been a fan of Wawrinka, and he's been doing really well this year. It would be awesome to see him take out Murray, which I think he's capable of with how well he's playing and how Murray still seems to be pretty lethargic on the court.

So, I'm hoping for Nadal/Gasquet and Djoker/Wawrinka semis, but I know that Nadal/Ferrer and Djoker/Murray is PROBABLY more likely, but who knows? I guess we'll see what happens. I'd be fine with either a Nadal/Djoker or Nadal/Wawrinka final. Both sound entertaining! Nadal seems to be a shoe in for the final. I don't see Ferrer or Gasquet troubling him too much.

Yes Robredo should freeze vs Nadal (or basically lose because he's nowhere near as good), but interestingly Federer has a much better record vs Spaniards than Nadal has vs Spaniards. Nadal's domination of Spaniards has been less than expected. Verdasco beat Nadal at Madrid, and came within a whisker of beating Nadal at the AO. Ferrer has beaten Nadal at the US Open and AO. Lopez beat Nadal at Queens.

What you think about Murray vs Nadal in the final? They've never met in a slam final. Wawrinka vs Nadal would be one of the most lopsided finals in tennis history, according to their h2h. Nadal leads Wawrinka 10-0 and has never lost a set. But Murray vs Nadal would be a great final I think. Djokovic vs Nadal would be too, but I think we've already seen every kind of point between them, as they've met 36 times!

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #814 on: September 04, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »
I can't see Fed's record against Spaniards being better than Nadal's. Especially considering he's only about 30% against Nadal. And Nadal may have lost here and there to a couple, but he's like, what, 14-3 or something like that against Ferrer? And then like 11-1 against Almagro. 6-0 against Robredo, etc. etc.

But that head to head is slightly skewed. The last time they met on anything except clay (Wawrinka's worst surface and, obviously, Nadal's best) was in 2010 on hards, when Nadal was dominating the hard courts and before Wawrinka hit his peak. In fact, in 2010, Wawrinka was kinda on a downswing for a while. I have faith if they met up here with how well Stan's been doing recently, it would be a good match. Eh, I'm not a big fan of Murray/Nadal matches. Murray has a similar game to Nole, but not as good. So Nadal can usually beat him pretty solidly.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #815 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »
Gasquet beating Ferrer would a nice story but he just went 4.5 hours against Raonic. He shouldn't have much left. 1v3 2v4 is what I got, too, for the semis.

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #816 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
I can't see Fed's record against Spaniards being better than Nadal's. Especially considering he's only about 30% against Nadal. And Nadal may have lost here and there to a couple, but he's like, what, 14-3 or something like that against Ferrer? And then like 11-1 against Almagro. 6-0 against Robredo, etc. etc.

But that head to head is slightly skewed. The last time they met on anything except clay (Wawrinka's worst surface and, obviously, Nadal's best) was in 2010 on hards, when Nadal was dominating the hard courts and before Wawrinka hit his peak. In fact, in 2010, Wawrinka was kinda on a downswing for a while. I have faith if they met up here with how well Stan's been doing recently, it would be a good match. Eh, I'm not a big fan of Murray/Nadal matches. Murray has a similar game to Nole, but not as good. So Nadal can usually beat him pretty solidly.

Yeah there is no doubt, Nadal is extremely good vs Spanish players.

Prior to this US Open, Federer was undefeated vs Spanish players in Top 30-

Federer 14-0 vs. Ferrer
Nadal 20-4 vs. Ferrer

Federer 10-1 vs. Robredo
Nadal 6-0 vs. Robredo

Federer 10-0 vs. Lopez
Nadal 9-2 vs. Lopez

Federer 5-0 vs. Almagro
Nadal 10-0 vs. Almagro

Federer 5-0 vs. Verdasco
Nadal 13-1 vs. Verdasco

Meanwhile, vs. Swiss:

Nadal 10-0 vs. Wawrinka
Federer 13-1 vs. Wawrinka

And just for interest sake-
Federer 2-2 vs. Rosset
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:43:16 PM by NADAL2005RG »

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #817 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
Gasquet beating Ferrer would a nice story but he just went 4.5 hours against Raonic. He shouldn't have much left. 1v3 2v4 is what I got, too, for the semis.

Yeah, but overall, Ferrer's had more time on court (by a whopping...wait fooooor it.........1 minute!). Not that that really matters, since fitness is a nonfactor for Ferrer. He's a marathon man for sure. But he's got nothing to try to neutralize that BH, so if Gasquet's stroking his BH well and he doesn't choke, he has a real chance in this match. His improved serve and FH are awesome. Those two facets of his game used to suck. He's been moving up ever since they improved. You don't think Stan's got any chance against Murray?

But Fed has the unfortunate task of playing one Spaniard Nadal will never have to play. And that Spaniard is pretty darn good :)

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #818 on: September 04, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
And although I don't have the raw data, I've seen it before and Federer has the best record in the history of tennis vs left-handers not named Nadal.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #819 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »
Hey, 05

Robredo ended two 0-10 H2Hs this year at slams. Almagro at RG and Federer at USO. Seems he finally has a guy's number after 10 meetings.  Unfortunately, he's only played Rafa 6 times.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:46:26 PM by Babblelot »