Author Topic: 2013 US Open thread MEN - OFFICIAL  (Read 22985 times)

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
Re: 2013 US Open thread MEN - OFFICIAL
« Reply #840 on: September 04, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
Who cares?! He made it to the semis for the second time in his career! That's good enough for now. And I get to see that incredible backhand live :))

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #841 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »
I was looking forward to the USO but have hardly watched anything, and when I tried to do so now, I note the Gasquet / Ferrer QF is over.  Fate it seems, is conspiring against me!   :)

I'm a fan of RG's game & pleased to see him get through to the SF.  Quite what he expects to do there is another question, given that he'll be facing the man who I think will be the next USO champion in Nadal.  Obviously, I'd like him to upset the apple cart & win, but I suspect my wishful thinking is a tad too wishful!   :))

As for the other QF's,  congratulations to Robredo for getting through.   When I saw the draw, I considered this would be a straight sets win, but for Federer, not TR.  I haven't watched the match yet, but am sorry that RF went out like this.  TR will no doubt go out to RN, but I hope he can play well.
And what does one say about RN?  Very much the man to beat, his consistency has been remarkable & his determination, outstanding.

Murray / Wawrinka should be a good match, and I hope I can watch it.
Djokovic / Youzhny could be a good match too, but I suspect ND will win it in straight sets.

And whilst the "bright young things" seem to have floundered yet again, it is interesting to see a couple of "oldies" in it still.  Both MY & TR are 31 years old. 

A SW / RG final would be my choice. I wouldn't mind TR / MY thee either. But I suspect we'll get AM or ND / RN. The more things change, the more they remain the same.
Carpe Diem

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #842 on: September 04, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »
Haven't posted in a while. Couple notes from my end:

:scared: Robredo d. Federer, in straights no less. No idea what to say. Fed needs to take the year off and come back strong.

:confused1: Youzhny d. Hewitt. That was a weird match, Hewitt should have won in the fourth and fifth but Youzhny should never have let it been that close. I like Youzhny but man he was hitting so short on that forehand, Djokovic will eat him alive.

:)) Kohli d. Isner - American crowd, Kohli backhand was on fire and I love it when he takes the net.
 :Confused: Kohli l. Nadal - Expected result. He's also taken a set off Nadal in every hard court meeting (6 in total), I guess he just can't sustain. Pity. but it was so fun to watch him play well.

:gleam: Wawrinka d. Berdych - I like them both, Berdych a little more, but Wawrinka's playing some awesome tennis. I think Berdych stood a better chance against Murray than Wawrinka but we'll see what he can do.

:)>>>> Gasquet d. Raonic - The more I see Raonic the less I like. I like his attitude and personality but he can't hit two backhands in a row to save his life, and where as that serve in the fifth set? It was his match to take but kudos to Gasquet for staying strong.

:)>>>> Gasquet d. Ferrer - Typical of Gasquet is the second you get your expectations up, he lets you down. Can't believe he backed up that win and made his first SF against Ferrer of all people. That first and second set were amazing. And then sets 3-5 were filled with forehands that landed 2 feet from the net cuz apparently hitting deep is not something you learn when you're on the pro-tour. Gasquet at his best is amazing, I love watching him, but you just get the sense there's so much gaps in his game. The short forehand, the backhand from way back in the court, the mediocre serve.. well that's it. I don't what he has left in the tank but would love to see him make his first slam final.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #843 on: September 04, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
It was great seeing Stan take out Berdych!  A double win for me... I like Stan, and I don't like Berdych! :))  I hope Stan can continue on this streak.  I know it's going to be difficult, but that's why they play the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Nadal's match.  Robredo put everything he had into beating Roger and he'll have absolutely NOTHING to hurt Nadal.  I don't see Robredo getting more than 6 total games from  this match.

I was also surprised at Gasquet today.  Once he lost the 3rd and 4th set, I knew he would just cramp up and fade away in the 5th.  He showed something today.  He's doing it the hard way...all these 5th setters! 

And...Novak has played who this tournament?????

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #844 on: September 04, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »
Nadal bagels Robredo in the first set.  :scared:

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #845 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »
Nadal enters the semis without being broken. Pretty good chance of him entering the final without being broken. Either way, very possible he'll break his own record of only losing serve 5 times (2010 US Open) which he shares with Roddick (2003 US Open).
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline SexyLatina

• Tennis Player
« Reply #846 on: September 05, 2013, 03:18:04 AM »
Rafa is winning the USO. He is God. Nobody can stop him.

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #847 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:16 AM »
Rafa is winning the USO. He is God. Nobody can stop him.

Nadal is setting up the Australian Open nicely. Nadal will be the #1 seed and will be going for the DOUBLE CAREER GRAND SLAM (no man did that since Laver). Should be ranked #1 for a long time. Can gain points at Monte Carlo, Miami and Wimbledon, so really doesn't have to defend everything next year.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #848 on: September 05, 2013, 05:12:44 AM »
Same old story with Gasquet it seems  :whistle:

Why the f*ck did he go passive after winning 2 sets??
He's French. :\
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #849 on: September 05, 2013, 05:17:53 AM »
Nadal enters the semis without being broken. Pretty good chance of him entering the final without being broken. Either way, very possible he'll break his own record of only losing serve 5 times (2010 US Open) which he shares with Roddick (2003 US Open).
Amazing stat for someone not known to possess a great serve.
Obviously his ground game backs it up, but I've always thought his serve to be deceptively effective in the clutch.  Almost like he saves his best serves for when they are needed most.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #850 on: September 05, 2013, 05:22:09 AM »
Obviously his ground game backs it up, but I've always thought his serve to be deceptively effective in the clutch.  Almost like he saves his best serves for when they are needed most.

That's true, he is he master of getting out of the love-30 situations. Even in the Kohl match, Nadal only faced ONE breakpoint.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #851 on: September 05, 2013, 05:23:36 AM »

That's true, he is he master of getting out of the love-30 situations. Even in the Kohl match, Nadal only faced ONE breakpoint.
Another amazing stat.
Surely his fierce competitiveness on EVERY point contributes to this number.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #852 on: September 05, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
Ferrer up a break in the 3rd set. The ideal scenario is that Gasquet wins in 5 sets  ://

Nadal has this US Open right where he wants it  :king:

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #853 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »
Haven't posted in a while. Couple notes from my end:

:scared: Robredo d. Federer, in straights no less. No idea what to say. Fed needs to take the year off and come back strong.

:confused1: Youzhny d. Hewitt. That was a weird match, Hewitt should have won in the fourth and fifth but Youzhny should never have let it been that close. I like Youzhny but man he was hitting so short on that forehand, Djokovic will eat him alive.

:)) Kohli d. Isner - American crowd, Kohli backhand was on fire and I love it when he takes the net.
 :Confused: Kohli l. Nadal - Expected result. He's also taken a set off Nadal in every hard court meeting (6 in total), I guess he just can't sustain. Pity. but it was so fun to watch him play well.

:gleam: Wawrinka d. Berdych - I like them both, Berdych a little more, but Wawrinka's playing some awesome tennis. I think Berdych stood a better chance against Murray than Wawrinka but we'll see what he can do.

:)>>>> Gasquet d. Raonic - The more I see Raonic the less I like. I like his attitude and personality but he can't hit two backhands in a row to save his life, and where as that serve in the fifth set? It was his match to take but kudos to Gasquet for staying strong.

:)>>>> Gasquet d. Ferrer - Typical of Gasquet is the second you get your expectations up, he lets you down. Can't believe he backed up that win and made his first SF against Ferrer of all people. That first and second set were amazing. And then sets 3-5 were filled with forehands that landed 2 feet from the net cuz apparently hitting deep is not something you learn when you're on the pro-tour. Gasquet at his best is amazing, I love watching him, but you just get the sense there's so much gaps in his game. The short forehand, the backhand from way back in the court, the mediocre serve.. well that's it. I don't what he has left in the tank but would love to see him make his first slam final.

Yeah, it was typical Richie to go away after going up 2 sets. I was so happy that he showed up for the fifth to win the match. But it actually isn't his first SF. It's his second. He made the 07 SW19 SF.

Goodness, Nadal SLAUGHTERED Robredo. I wanted him to win, but now I feel a little sorry for Robredo :/ anyways, one of my hoped for semis is in place! Come on, Wawrinka!!!

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #854 on: September 05, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
I don't feel sorry for Robredo, he got a lot more success out of this US Open than he expected, beating Federer etc.

Robredo could be in the top 10 soon. Amazing, Haas and Robredo both over 30, may both pass Federer in the rankings soon.

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #855 on: September 05, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »
Murrinka is an awesome match-up. Its a fascinating 1st set with awesome rallies.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #856 on: September 05, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
C'mon Stan!
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #857 on: September 05, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
Stan takes 1st set 6-4 after 8-9 deuces in last game woohooo  :gleam:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #858 on: September 05, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »
Stan! That was about as bad a set of tennis as you'll see. Murray typically wins crap tennis.

Go Stan!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #859 on: September 05, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »
That Murrinka 1st set is my favorite set of the tournament, along with the Nadkohl 1st set. I love all these cat and mouse rallies Murrinka are playing.