Author Topic: BUPMONSTER'S JOURNAL  (Read 813 times)

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
BUPMONSTER'S JOURNAL
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »

Hey all,
This is my first journal so i decided to keep it normal and introduce myself before any further discussion

Current Res: NJ
Hight: 5 Ft
Weight:110 lb.
Dominant hand: Right

Started Playing: 2008
Playing Style: Not consistent. When I am felling on fire, I play very well but that "fire" is short term. Improving but still a lot of work to be done.
Forehand: One Hand, relatively flat, I try to put topspin( much easier with my new racquet)
Backhand: Two Hand, some topspin, nothing amazing but very solid and reliable.

My skill varies from time to time, but here is a overview of ho I play(1 being horrible. 10 being Varsity worthy)
Forehand: 7 ( needs more consistency)
Backhand: 6 (consistent but needs more versatility)
Volleys: 7(I need more confidence to approach the net but when I do, it is excellent.) 
Serves: 8 (Probably the best part of my game. Has required power, needs directional control)
Footwork/Speed: 5 (Footwork is on and off and I'm pretty slow =()

Racquet: Babolat Aeropro Drive GT
Strings: Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 Gauge
Tension: 55 lb.

Thats about it,
I look foreword to keep adding to this thread(Which will probably be tomorrow or the next time I play tennis)
Adios!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
bupmonster

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
Re: BUPMONSTER'S JOURNAL
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »
Heading out to play tennis now  :grind dance:
bupmonster

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
BUPMONSTER'S JOURNAL
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
Ok,
i just played today for about 2 hours. Today was definitely not my best day. Though my backhand was on fire today, I had trouble getting into position to hit a forehand and volley. I feel like I need to not be so lay and start really moving around the court.
Some key points to improve are:
1) Better footwork
2) Versatility-be able to hit any kind of shot from anywhere intentionally
3) Proper form. I tend to get lazy with my forehand because I know that I can power through and hit it without good form but that is not right.

Today was not my best day and I know that I can do much better. Partly it is mental, partly it is physical and I need improving in both aspects.

bupmonster

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »
Soooo, Today I played 2 sets with my bro and what can I say? I lost 6-1 6-0 which is horrible. I really needed to unload on the balls but i tightened up and lost. When we were warming up, i felt like I was playing really good and my ground-strokes were amazing. When It came to the match, I basically lobbed every ball even if I had a perfect winner opportunity because I was scared that I would miss it. All in all, I had a pretty good day but I need to loosen up in match situations.
bupmonster

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
 :gleam:

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
BUPMONSTER'S JOURNAL
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
Sooo, yesterday I played again, and I was hitting rally well. It was hard to cope with so much topspin on the ball so my forehands were kinda messy.
My backhands though, I felt like I was nadal! :P They were really good with good topspin and pace. Overall, I had a really good hitting session but I need to learn to cope with high loopy, topspiney balls.

bupmonster

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
Soooo, Today I played 2 sets with my bro and what can I say? I lost 6-1 6-0 which is horrible. I really needed to unload on the balls but i tightened up and lost. When we were warming up, i felt like I was playing really good and my ground-strokes were amazing. When It came to the match, I basically lobbed every ball even if I had a perfect winner opportunity because I was scared that I would miss it. All in all, I had a pretty good day but I need to loosen up in match situations.
The toughest opponent you will ever face is yourself.
Relax.
Enjoy the game.
Remove all expectations of performance.
Practice.
Learn.
Relax.
Enjoy.
It is only then, that you will realize your true potential.
 :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »

Yeah that happens sometimes.

I played 5 days ago and was ripping both bh and fh like there's no tomorrow. 2 days ago I couldn't hit winner to save myself.
It's just someday the strokes are pure and clean, ball landing smoothly on your racquet and unfortunately sometimes everything just seems too short or too wide.

The movement and position is the key. There's only few thing that can go wrong if you get that right.

I experimented a bit with my two racquets so that might be it. I switched from very heavy racquet of Haas and Soderling choice(from 2009) to a bit lighter one that Berdych uses today. So there's that, I find it uncontrollable at times as the racquet itself produces more power with a bit less effort. So I kinda have to be slightly less aggressive, which is hard to keep in mind since I'm pretty aggressive oriented.

But enough of me.

You'll see once you get the movement and position right you'll feel a lot more comfortable hence taking control of the shots.
As MT said, just relax. When you see you are starting to lose control of your shots and the body, just remember the procedure of getting ready to strike the ball. (could help also if you can think of some pro player's motion and movement)
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »
Sooo, yesterday I played again, and I was hitting rally well. It was hard to cope with so much topspin on the ball so my forehands were kinda messy.
My backhands though, I felt like I was nadal! :P They were really good with good topspin and pace. Overall, I had a really good hitting session but I need to learn to cope with high loopy, topspiney balls.

There are different aspects of it. For example when I get high loopy top spin balls, I hit them on the rise or very rarely though I back off and wait it to bounce at my confy zone.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
BUPMONSTER'S JOURNAL
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
Since my bro went to Atlanta for the week, I didn't have anyone
To play with but he's back now so hopefully we will play today.
Thanks for the advice guys, I will try to implement it in my game. :)

bupmonster

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »

Yo, time to branch out and find more hitting partners! :))

Remember to relax and have fun-  especially during competitive play.  Your performance will skyrocket!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
BUPMONSTER'S JOURNAL
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »

Remember to relax and have fun-  especially during competitive play.  Your performance will skyrocket!
Ya actually my friend and I decided to play more often so I will be playing with him during the week as well and of course, during the weekend, I will play with my brother. So today, we hit for a good 2 hours and we did a lot of backhand to backhand rallys and some forehand to forehand rallys. I was hitting pretty good and my Vollys were on fire. Later on, we had a doubles pick-up match with 2 people we saw on the court next to us. We played a best of three and my bro and I won 6-1 7-5. The first set we won most points with Vollys and we were both at the net, putting pressure on the opponent. Both our Vollys were great but in the second set, I had a rough Volly game and we got broken then my brother had a rough service game and we got broken again. We were down 4-1 but somehow we started hitting better and working together more and made a comeback to win the set 7-5. So that's all today and I will deffinetly play this week and ill make a point to keep this journal updated.

Ps. The advice really helped today in the match, I went for my shots and I felt great and we ended up winning. Thanks Guys! 😄😄😄

bupmonster

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 08:35:59 PM »

That's something I wish someone told me way earlier. Actually it's something I should still digest and keep in mind. :)

Also, quick update from my end about my brother. This summer's been amazing, we have had a LOT of fantastic hitting and whether he realizes it or not, he's hitting cleaner, he's moving better, he's anticipating better.. it's good. I am proud of him, definitely a big big improvement. he recently started classes at a new club for the academic year and after his first hit I asked his coach what he thought and his coach said he has a complete set of tools and does everything well and just needs to keep hitting and working on improving all aspects. I was very happy and proud to hear that. We have our fair share of drills as well as a lot of free-hitting and I don't discourage him from trying things he wants - sometimes I feel like it hurts him because he can be lazy and get away with it but I also think that's what has given him the opportunity to play around with slices (which he's improved GREATLY this summer), dropshots, and all sorts of things.

Next steps in my opinion are to work on consistently hitting more topspin from the back to improve his normal rally shots, and learn to finish mid-court shots. Volleys as well, he gets back solid volleys but they're not necessarily put-away volleys so that's the next step. And last but not least and the most ignored shot of the summer (unfortunately), the serve. He has good form so I am comfortable with it and letting it evolve and let him add a few inches and pounds over the next year or two before we beef it up.

Lastly, I'll be uploading videos of his from today so would really appreciate feedback on it :) Thanks guys and Varun, really proud of you brother (and if you know me you know those words don't come easily), and I hope you continue to enjoy the game and take  pride in the improvement you have shown and watch your hard work pay dividends down the line. Before long you'll be telling me what I'm doing wrong with my game while destroying me on court and I am looking forward to that wholeheartedly!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 05:48:11 AM »
Great report Professor!
Congrats to you and Varun for a FUN and productive summer.
The time you 2 spent together will be a lasting memory more valuable than any slam title he may win in the future. ;-()
 ://
CONK da ball!!!

Offline bupmonster

• Tennis Player
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 05:35:47 AM »
Yesterday we went out to hit again but i couldn't update yesterday because it was late and i had school today so i woke up early to update now. Yesterday since there was barely any time to play, we had 45 minutes of concentrated hitting and it was nothing like I ever felt before. My bh and fh were not crazy powerful or anything but i was very consistent, I got a lot of short balls that I normally cant get. When we got to points, I felt like I was making more errors because I was goin for too much but at least i didnt lighten up and hold back thanks to your advice!:thank-you: So all in all, I had a great hitting session and though the season is coming to an end, I hope I can have more practices like this one.  :)
bupmonster

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
Nice  :cool:
It all comes to practice. Even the wall can help. Everytime I can't go and hit with my dad(who's still great at his age) or anyone else I simply go for a 2hour session against the wall. It can help tremendously.
However I had trouble with over-hitting so when I went on the court I was too aggressive and it's easy to send it wide if you put too much power on the wall practice.

You guys must be enjoying your time on the courts! Keep us posted  :))

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »
Ahhhhh, The Wall!
Excellent advice LugMan!
The Wall is awesome as long as you don't over do it.
Some great players who used The Wall to hone their skills include Borg :hushed tones: and Seles.
The challenge for me hitting against The Wall was the footwork.

Here's a quick clip illustrating some basic Wall hitting.

Backboard or Hitting Wall Tennis Lesson

Notice just how many shots he gets to hit in a very short time!
Beware of over doing it!!!  Great way to hurt yourself is by hitting too hard or for too long.  10 min. max to start until you develop the muscles.

Also a great time to work on feeling the ball and finding the sweet spot consistently. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »
...and of course, my all-time favorite Wall drill-
The Smash rally

Tennis Overhead Drill

Nole should add this one to his warm-up and cool-down routines.

Make sure you get the grip right!!!!!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline asssazee

• New Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 01:26:59 AM »
The site contains useful material The most common ones
newbielink:http://www.sbobetene.350.com/ [nonactive]