Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

If Federer is still on tour when Nadal wins 17+ slams, imagine the media hype :0

(1/13) > >>

NADAL2005RG:
Even if Federer is retired, it'd still be a huge event. But when you recall Federer passing the Sampras record, it would have been a lot more fun if Sampras was still on the tour. It will be especially fun if Nadal's finals opponent is Federer in the 17th/18th slam title. Its possible. Djokovic declining (reverting back to his pre-2011 self), so only Murray/Nadal will be doing better than Federer at the slams over the next couple of years. Imagine the media hype especially if Nadal breaks the record with a Fedal match. This kind of thing will take tennis to a new level of popularity.

But there is already retirement talk surrounding Federer, as his struggle continues. Federer has said the reason why he wants to hang around is because of the 2016 Olympics and also so his children can see him play. Well, his children can already see him play, and I think they are developed enough to understand what they are seeing (and they aren't seeing a whole lot of good things anyway). I think Federer just doesn't want to say goodbye to the one thing he is good at. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's still on tour in 2-3 years from now, regardless of results.

Dallas:
Roger will be playing with a walking cane when/if Nadal gets to 17 majors.... Heck, Nadal might even be playing on one leg! :rofl_2:

But if your scenario happens...that would mean Roger was still playing pretty good tennis to 'hang around' that long.  Which is fine with me!

Tennis4you:
Fed loves tennis.  I love tennis too.  He is just lucky he gets to do it for a living.  He clearly does not need the money, and he is not playing like he used to.  Loves the game, and I like that!

NADAL2005RG:

--- Quote from: Dallas on August 29, 2013, 06:55:09 PM ---Roger will be playing with a walking cane when/if Nadal gets to 17 majors.... Heck, Nadal might even be playing on one leg! :rofl_2:

But if your scenario happens...that would mean Roger was still playing pretty good tennis to 'hang around' that long.  Which is fine with me!

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't worry about Nadal's knees. Tendinitis is very manageable after you take some time off. Serena proved it with her knee/wrist tendinitis, took plenty of time off and has outlasted everybody and is peaking late. Nadal took 7 months off and is peaking late on hardcourts. I warned people in 2009 when they wrote Nadal off. Michael Jordan had knee tendinitis in his early 20s. People don't seem to understand what tendinitis is. Its a far cry from having REAL knee problems (see Mark Philippoussis). Federer, Murray, Djokovic all have back problems. That is the main cause of retirement, as we are seeing now with Federer. I hope Federer can play through the pain and hang around for a couple more years. His presence will make Nadal's 17th/18th slam that much more enjoyable.

mav140:

--- Quote from: NADAL2005RG on August 29, 2013, 08:38:07 AM ---But there is already retirement talk surrounding Federer, as his struggle continues. Federer has said the reason why he wants to hang around is because of the 2016 Olympics and also so his children can see him play. Well, his children can already see him play, and I think they are developed enough to understand what they are seeing (and they aren't seeing a whole lot of good things anyway). I think Federer just doesn't want to say goodbye to the one thing he is good at. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's still on tour in 2-3 years from now, regardless of results.

--- End quote ---

First of all, I am not writing Nadal off, he might or might not get to that 17th, 18th Slam.. Only time will tell... My guess is that Nadal has a shot but just that. I wouldn't bet my house on that, but he does have a shot. I wanted to reply to the bolded part up there.

My guess is that you are a young lad (probably 14 to 20) to write stuff like that. I have 2 children and my older boy is the same age as Fed's girls... They are not developed to understand what's going on yet.. Yeah, of course, they see him play on a tennis court, but they have no idea how big their father is... At 4 years old you can't completely "racionalize" with him/her. They know stuff, but not the "magnitude" of everything. Heck, they can't even count let alone keep score... So, NO, they are not aware of the importance of it all and they are not aware of what they are living, for all they care, they are flying around the world, watch his dad play and eat at restaurants hanging out with Nannies!! They certainly DON'T know they are at Flushing Meadows, or All England Club or whatever, they are at a strange place NOT home, that's what they know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version