Author Topic: If Federer is still on tour when Nadal wins 17+ slams, imagine the media hype :0  (Read 2842 times)

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
Even if Federer is retired, it'd still be a huge event. But when you recall Federer passing the Sampras record, it would have been a lot more fun if Sampras was still on the tour. It will be especially fun if Nadal's finals opponent is Federer in the 17th/18th slam title. Its possible. Djokovic declining (reverting back to his pre-2011 self), so only Murray/Nadal will be doing better than Federer at the slams over the next couple of years. Imagine the media hype especially if Nadal breaks the record with a Fedal match. This kind of thing will take tennis to a new level of popularity.

But there is already retirement talk surrounding Federer, as his struggle continues. Federer has said the reason why he wants to hang around is because of the 2016 Olympics and also so his children can see him play. Well, his children can already see him play, and I think they are developed enough to understand what they are seeing (and they aren't seeing a whole lot of good things anyway). I think Federer just doesn't want to say goodbye to the one thing he is good at. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's still on tour in 2-3 years from now, regardless of results.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Roger will be playing with a walking cane when/if Nadal gets to 17 majors.... Heck, Nadal might even be playing on one leg! :rofl_2:

But if your scenario happens...that would mean Roger was still playing pretty good tennis to 'hang around' that long.  Which is fine with me!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Fed loves tennis.  I love tennis too.  He is just lucky he gets to do it for a living.  He clearly does not need the money, and he is not playing like he used to.  Loves the game, and I like that!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
Roger will be playing with a walking cane when/if Nadal gets to 17 majors.... Heck, Nadal might even be playing on one leg! :rofl_2:

But if your scenario happens...that would mean Roger was still playing pretty good tennis to 'hang around' that long.  Which is fine with me!

I wouldn't worry about Nadal's knees. Tendinitis is very manageable after you take some time off. Serena proved it with her knee/wrist tendinitis, took plenty of time off and has outlasted everybody and is peaking late. Nadal took 7 months off and is peaking late on hardcourts. I warned people in 2009 when they wrote Nadal off. Michael Jordan had knee tendinitis in his early 20s. People don't seem to understand what tendinitis is. Its a far cry from having REAL knee problems (see Mark Philippoussis). Federer, Murray, Djokovic all have back problems. That is the main cause of retirement, as we are seeing now with Federer. I hope Federer can play through the pain and hang around for a couple more years. His presence will make Nadal's 17th/18th slam that much more enjoyable.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
But there is already retirement talk surrounding Federer, as his struggle continues. Federer has said the reason why he wants to hang around is because of the 2016 Olympics and also so his children can see him play. Well, his children can already see him play, and I think they are developed enough to understand what they are seeing (and they aren't seeing a whole lot of good things anyway). I think Federer just doesn't want to say goodbye to the one thing he is good at. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's still on tour in 2-3 years from now, regardless of results.

First of all, I am not writing Nadal off, he might or might not get to that 17th, 18th Slam.. Only time will tell... My guess is that Nadal has a shot but just that. I wouldn't bet my house on that, but he does have a shot. I wanted to reply to the bolded part up there.

My guess is that you are a young lad (probably 14 to 20) to write stuff like that. I have 2 children and my older boy is the same age as Fed's girls... They are not developed to understand what's going on yet.. Yeah, of course, they see him play on a tennis court, but they have no idea how big their father is... At 4 years old you can't completely "racionalize" with him/her. They know stuff, but not the "magnitude" of everything. Heck, they can't even count let alone keep score... So, NO, they are not aware of the importance of it all and they are not aware of what they are living, for all they care, they are flying around the world, watch his dad play and eat at restaurants hanging out with Nannies!! They certainly DON'T know they are at Flushing Meadows, or All England Club or whatever, they are at a strange place NOT home, that's what they know.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:58:34 AM by mav140 »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos

Thankfully we all know Nadal can beat ANYONE even playing one leg... as long as that leg is not injured  :rofl_2:

And while we are dreaming of glory here, I would also LOVE it if Nadal was still around and uninjured when Federer wins 20+ slams. No harm dreaming  :rofl_2:

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
I know Rafa's had chronic knee injuries, Roger has age, back complaints, dipping form obstructing his path.. If, and when, Rafa or any player, breaks the 18 slam barrier - I am sure Roger would doff his hat to him. Winning slams is a hard fortnight's work. If a player has won nearly 20 slams, in this physical, ultra-competitive era, he has deserved it.  :))

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict

First of all, I am not writing Nadal off, he might or might not get to that 17th, 18th Slam.. Only time will tell... My guess is that Nadal has a shot but just that. I wouldn't bet my house on that, but he does have a shot. I wanted to reply to the bolded part up there.

My guess is that you are a young lad (probably 14 to 20) to write stuff like that. I have 2 children and my older boy is the same age as Fed's girls... They are not developed to understand what's going on yet.. Yeah, of course, they see him play on a tennis court, but they have no idea how big their father is... At 4 years old you can't completely "racionalize" with him/her. They know stuff, but not the "magnitude" of everything. Heck, they can't even count let alone keep score... So, NO, they are not aware of the importance of it all and they are not aware of what they are living, for all they care, they are flying around the world, watch his dad play and eat at restaurants hanging out with Nannies!! They certainly DON'T know they are at Flushing Meadows, or All England Club or whatever, they are at a strange place NOT home, that's what they know.

So its not that Federer wants his kids to see him play, its that he wants them to worship the ground he walks on. Thanks for clarifying that. I forgot who we were talking about here....

Those kids will certainly remember Uncle Nadal.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
poor mav. made the mistake of assuming he was talking to someone rational.  :innocent:

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
poor mav. made the mistake of assuming he was talking to someone rational.  :innocent:

Classy......

Like I said, I forgot the Federer thought process. I'm more in line with the Nadal mode of thinking (Nadal by the way, said he will only start a family after he retires from tennis).

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos

Classy......

Like I said, I forgot the Federer thought process. I'm more in line with the Nadal mode of thinking (Nadal by the way, said he will only start a family after he retires from tennis).

Thanks. I am glad you're a devoted Nadal fan and are in line with his mode of thinking. I was just curious as to where mocking Federer falls within Nadal's mode of thinking.

Must be a hybrid mode where you pick and choose Nadal's mode of thinking and throw in your own solid dose of your own petty mockery of Federer, no?

Have fun miss :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:29:41 PM by pawan89 »

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict

Classy......

Thanks. I am glad you're a devoted Nadal fan and are in line with his mode of thinking. I was just curious as to where mocking Federer falls within Nadal's mode of thinking.

Must be a hybrid mode where you pick and choose Nadal's mode of thinking and throw in your own solid dose of your own petty mockery of Federer, no?

Have fun miss :)

Is it rational to believe one person has exactly the same thought process as another, on every issue? We were talking about one thing (family), not everything.

BTW, Nadal resigned from the ATP Players Council, because Federer (President) refused to support the popular opinion of the the top 100 (according to Davydenko). So you can believe the PR stuff if you want, but its not all sunshine and roses between Fedal.

Oh and if by "mocking Federer" you mean posting a picture of the outfit he agreed to wear.... Really? Its just reality, completely uncut and in no way exaggerated.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
I say F the media and F the press!

Never cared much what they have to say anyway.

Also no offenSe NRG but this
I hope Federer can play through the pain and hang around for a couple more years. His presence will make Nadal's 17th/18th slam that much more enjoyable.
sounds so much gloryhunting and ridiculous.

Why would it be more enjoyable exactly? Seems like the media's got you.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
I only say the media hype would be big because I personally can't imagine a bigger event in tennis history than a player breaking the total slams record by beating the previous record holder in a slam final. And this is addition to it being a Fedal match (every time they meet at a slam it brings greater attention than any other match-up). If Federer is not in the final but merely in the event, it wouldn't be quite the same impact, but I still think it would be better than if Federer was retired.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God

Well, I thought so!!!LOOOL...
My mistake... is it coincidence that everytime someone goes away (shank - Start da game (same person), etc.) someone else comes in??

Anyway, he contradicts himself in every statement, so you can see how much you can argue with a person like that... I'm not in the mood of discussing something with someone that is not here to discuss, just rant..

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict

My mistake... is it coincidence that everytime someone goes away (shank - Start da game (same person), etc.) someone else comes in??

Anyway, he contradicts himself in every statement, so you can see how much you can argue with a person like that... I'm not in the mood of discussing something with someone that is not here to discuss, just rant..

I'm discussing tennis. You are ranting.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God

Bud, the problem is you are not discussing tennis in this thread at all. You are gloating about something that hasn't happened and probably will not happen. Mav has a good point. There is nothing to discuss here. You are just being fanatically obsessed with Rafito. Most members on this board are rational and knowledgeable. However, for one or another reason Rafa fanatics are beyond delusional.

This thread is simply stupid. Sorry to be so blunt but it is what it is. Tone down your fanatical love for Rafito because it's extremely annoying.
cheers

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict

Bud, the problem is you are not discussing tennis in this thread at all. You are gloating about something that hasn't happened and probably will not happen. Mav has a good point. There is nothing to discuss here. You are just being fanatically obsessed with Rafito. Most members on this board are rational and knowledgeable. However, for one or another reason Rafa fanatics are beyond delusional.

This thread is simply stupid. Sorry to be so blunt but it is what it is. Tone down your fanatical love for Rafito because it's extremely annoying.
cheers

The issue is not whether Nadal will win 17 or 18 slams......the issue is how big the dethroning will be in the eyes of the media. I honestly can't imagine anything ever creating greater attention. I think it will be a more frenzied time in tennis history than Billie Jean King and The Battle of the Sexes. Tennis needs a shot in the arm, and this will do it. That's my opinion anyway. I'd be interested to hear what your opinion is if you can stop crying for a minute. Will the dethroning be such a big moment? Will it only be big if Federer is still on tour? Do you think Federer will be able to handle it, or will we see a repeat of the 2009 AO trophy ceremony? If you are rational and knowledgeable, answer these questions and prove it.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
I really don't understand you. What if this, what if that?  you say it's not about slam count ...  then you go: but how would the media or Fed (active or retired) react IF Rafa wins 17 slams or more? like really? Does this make any sense to you?

I don't care how they would react in your imaginary situation. And Fed ... what? you think he'll kill himself or something? Don't be silly.

I'll tell you one thing. No matter how many majors Rafito wins, no matter what, he'll never be as good as Fed. Rafito is a peasant who wears down his opponents based on his stamina (which I think has something to do with his Spanish doctor). Rafito has no game plan at all, no technique, his game style is simply ugly. I don't like watching his matches, nothing there for me. Rafa is plain and boring.

Fed is an artist. he is dancing on the court. his foot work, point construction, the effortless way he is playing, court positioning. superior technique that nobody can even mimic, his ability to hit winners out of nowhere,  are out of this world. I'm talking about prime Fed btw. And this is coming from a Nole fan.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:17:05 PM by Alex »

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
I really don't understand you. What if this, what if that?  you say it's not about slam count ...  then you go: but how would the media or Fed (active or retired) react IF Rafa wins 17 slams or more? like really? Does this make any sense to you?

I don't care how they would react in your imaginary situation. And Fed ... what? you think he'll kill himself or something? Don't be silly.

I'll tell you one thing. No matter how many majors Rafito wins, no matter what, he'll never be as good as Fed. Rafito is a peasant who wears down his opponents based on his stamina (which I think has something to do with his Spanish doctor). Rafito has no game plan at all, no technique, his game style is simply ugly. I don't like watching his matches, nothing there for me. Rafa is plain and boring.

Fed is an artist. he is dancing on the court. his foot work, point construction, the effortless way he is playing, court positioning. superior technique that nobody can even mimic, his ability to hit winners out of nowhere,  are out of this world. I'm talking about prime Fed btw. And this is coming from a Nole fan.

Gasquet is an artist too. Big deal. Nadal's next opponent, Kohl is somewhat of an artist too (Nadal leads that head2head 9-1, and 5-0 on hardcourts). Although I must admit, I do question which is more of an artist - a player who mostly copies the textbook, or a player who invents a new textbook. Nadal's strokes are certainly more unique than Federer's strokes, plus Nadal's shots are timed properly, rather than shanked.

Kill himself? Ah, I said 2009 AO, you remember that right? Nadal temporarily stopped Federer's pursuit of the Sampras slam record, leaving Federer all tears and twitches at the podium. Very similar situation to Nadal taking the slam record from Federer. It is therefore very relevant to pose the question of "Will Federer be able to handle it?" The answer to that will give us an idea of whether or not Federer is planning on retiring when Nadal gets close to 17. He may not want to be around for it. There's a hypothetical that has been discussed to death - Federer's pending retirement. Time for a new hypothetical.

Like it or not, but with this here US Open, 13 slam titles for Nadal. Unless someone can stop him in Australia (14 slams), 17+ slams is a lock. I mean, good luck stopping Nadal at Roland Garros over the next few years. 2013 was Nadal's recovery year (Nadal himself said his recovery was supposed to be complete by 2014).

So this topic is very relevant. If you don't admit it now, you will soon. And why wait for the 17th slam to discuss the dethroning? Everything else in tennis is discussed hypothetically, well before it happens. If you don't like the hypothetical, don't read it.