Author Topic: If Federer is still on tour when Nadal wins 17+ slams, imagine the media hype :0  (Read 2293 times)

Online Alex

• Tennis God
Kid, grow up and take your head out of Rafa's ass. nothing to talk about here, except you get to gloat about your butt picker and repeat same nonsense over and over again. Nobody cares.

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
Kid, grow up and take your head out of Rafa's ass. nothing to talk about here, except you get to gloat about your butt picker and repeat same nonsense over and over again. Nobody cares.

The only people who care, are those who are posting in this thread.
It is not too far way, Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God

Djokovic looms as Hewitt closes in on quarter-finals
DateSeptember 3, 2013 (0)
Be the first to comment Read later
Linda PearceSports writer for The Age
View more articles from Linda Pearce

Follow Linda on Twitter Email Linda
inShare. Pin Itsubmit to redditEmail articlePrint .
"At least I know who Im playing": Hewitt. Photo: AP
Lleyton Hewitt. Into the fourth round of the US Open for the first time since 2006. A surprise to many is no shock to one of his boyhood idols, Mats Wilander.

''We know that, in grand slam tennis, Hewitt is one of the best 20 players in the world, still,'' the seven-time grand slam champion said at Flushing Meadows. ''He's just not seeded.''

Novak Djokovic still potentially awaits Hewitt in the quarter-finals but first comes Mikhail Youzhny, seeded 21, in a winnable round-of-16 battle of the 30-somethings. For Hewitt, a nice change, in more than one respect.

''At least I know who I'm playing,'' Hewitt said after Monday's 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-1 defeat of world No.102 Evgeny Donskoy in less than three hours on a hot and humid Grandstand court. ''Half the draw I don't know any more.''

Advertisement Such are the perils of being the oldest man and the only Australian left in singles contention. But if Youzhny is of the Hewitt generation, he was not, for much of his career, quite in the former No.1's league.

Of the six times the higher-ranked Youzhny and Hewitt have met, Hewitt has won five times, most recently in Cincinnati last year. The Russian, 31, took out the even longer-toothed Tommy Haas, 35, so it would have been a clash of the geriatrics either way.

And they're all still going because? ''I'm not sure. I don't know,'' said Hewitt, 32. ''We obviously want to keep playing [because] we love the game so much.''
Hewitt is back in his element. Appreciating the love he is getting from well-wishers such as Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Enjoying his non-retirement and answering with his actions all those questions about his future.

Against Donskoy, Hewitt served well, won 24 of his 31 net approaches, executed another well-devised game plan after deducing he would not be too damaged by the Donskoy backhand and duly took only a brief hit from the Russian's forehand in the third set.

Donskoy's mentor is Marat Safin, the brilliant player, now politician, who denied the host nation and its great hope that cherished Australian Open title in 2005.

Hewitt acknowledged there had been the threat of a let-down after his momentous win against Juan Martin del Potro at Arthur Ashe Stadium on Friday night.

''It was a matter of still staying focused and staying in the moment as much as possible,'' Hewitt said. ''I still felt a little bit flat today going out there. actually felt like I got better as the match went on. That was a good sign, physically, for me as well.''

Hewitt was already on his way back to his family's base in Connecticut when Haas and Youzhny were in the early stages of a match the Russian won 6-3, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 against his more favoured opponent.

The temperamental Youzhny was twice a US Open semi-finalist, in 2006 and 2010, and was once as high as No.8.

''I lost to him last time for sure, and I think I just beat him once, and we play many matches, so it will be really, really tough for me,'' Youzhny said of Hewitt.

''I saw his match a little bit against Donskoy and a little bit against del Potro.

''He's in good shape. I practised with him before the tournament here and so I understand, for me, it will be tough.''

Another of a similar age is Federer, a more regular Hewitt practice partner - most recently last Monday, when the pair shared a couple of two-hour sessions on the court at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

''At least I got used to centre court, which was a bonus,'' the South Australian said.

''It was funny, we didn't do any points at all. We just did drills for four hours.''

Useful ones, if Hewitt's latest performances at what remains his most fruitful grand slam are any guide. Incredibly, the quarter-finals are now almost close enough to touch.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/djokovic-looms-as-hewitt-closes-in-on-quarterfinals-20130902-2t13p.html#ixzz2dk1QTwKX

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God

How on earth did you get a pic of me backside?
Thank goodness Nadal is there to straighten my shorts for me.....
It would be a big mistake if he smells his finger like he usually does. :scared:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
I see there is a lot of crap talking going on here.. but all that aside...

Was joking with a friend the other day that Federer is going to stay on tour as long as possible to try and do everything humanely possible to prevent Nadal from catching him.  Rafa obviously has a LOOONG way to go, and the odds are much more against him than they are for him, but if he were to somehow pick up this US Open:

It becomes a lot more realistic.

You figure he has 3-4 more 'good' years left in the game.  Of those he has an absolute stranglehold on the French, so thinking 2 more there is not reaching too far.  There is 15.  2 more titles to find in those 3-4 years out of 9-12 tries (non -french titles). 

Certainly, it is not out of the realm of conversation. 

REmember years back quite a few of use pegged fed spot on.  I had him at 18, but i remember many others on here who had him at 17.  They ended up right.  With Rafa, I don't want to make any big predictions because he doesn't have Fed's consistency and Murray and Djoker are only getting better...

yet again, IF (a big IF)

IF he wins this Open, I think he will end up with ~16 Slams.  If he doesn't.... I could see him going out ~ 14.

And of course his knee could finally give out and he may end up 'stuck' at 12.  Poor guy    :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
I see there is a lot of crap talking going on here.. but all that aside...

Was joking with a friend the other day that Federer is going to stay on tour as long as possible to try and do everything humanely possible to prevent Nadal from catching him.  Rafa obviously has a LOOONG way to go, and the odds are much more against him than they are for him, but if he were to somehow pick up this US Open:

It becomes a lot more realistic.

You figure he has 3-4 more 'good' years left in the game.  Of those he has an absolute stranglehold on the French, so thinking 2 more there is not reaching too far.  There is 15.  2 more titles to find in those 3-4 years out of 9-12 tries (non -french titles). 

Certainly, it is not out of the realm of conversation. 

REmember years back quite a few of use pegged fed spot on.  I had him at 18, but i remember many others on here who had him at 17.  They ended up right.  With Rafa, I don't want to make any big predictions because he doesn't have Fed's consistency and Murray and Djoker are only getting better...

yet again, IF (a big IF)

IF he wins this Open, I think he will end up with ~16 Slams.  If he doesn't.... I could see him going out ~ 14.

And of course his knee could finally give out and he may end up 'stuck' at 12.  Poor guy    :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

You are completely wrong about Djokovic. Djokovic played his best in 2011, and then declined since then. Even when Nadal was rusty in the first half of 2013 (when Nadal was limping and saying he was aiming to recover by 2014), Djokovic still couldn't beat him at the French. So you can forget about Djokovic having any impact from here on. Nadal is improving since 2011, while Djokovic is declining. And call me when Murray beats Nadal at a slam, because it hasn't happened since 2010 AO. Nadal beat Murray at 3 slams in 2011. People can talk about Murray/Lendl all they want, but the 2 slams Murray has won, weren't at all convincing. Beating Djokovic in the wind in 5 sets at US Open in a poor quality final. And beating Djokovic at Wimbledon after Djokovic had to fight through a marathon semi-final vs Del Potro.....Sorry, I'm just not convinced. Look at Murray at the 2013 AO final. Same old Murray.

Nadal has a minimum of 3 more Roland Garros titles left in him, and a maximum of 6 more RG titles in my opinion. But also take into account that we are about to enter a very weak claycourt era, where there is no Federer, a declining Djokovic, and Murray is not even trying on clay. Also, the young stars are taking an eternity to find their feet, and most of them aren't suited to clay anyway (Raonic, Tomic). So don't be surprised if Nadal wins Roland Garros well into his 30s. Also, with Wimbledon being scheduled a week later than usual, don't be surprised if Nadal makes another run at Wimbledon. 18 slam titles is the minimum for Nadal, 22 is the maximum. I mean you said 16, but do you seriously think Nadal would stop at 16? His willpower alone would carry him to the record. He's already won a couple of slams with willpower (2009 AO is a great example). Nadal is now entering his hardcourt prime, so Federer may be dethroned very soon, as Nadal closes  in on the Double Career Grand Slam.

And don't fret over Nadal's knee. I mean call me when he's had surgery. Its tendinitis. Serena has played with it since her early 20s (in her knees and her wrists). Michael Jordan also dealt with it his entire career. As you just witnessed, all Nadal had to do was take a few months off. He may decided to take some months off each year after he turns 30. Its well worth it.
It is not too far way, Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
i love Rafa, but he will not win 17thl slams, 13-14 would be the maximnum

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
i love Rafa, but he will not win 17thl slams, 13-14 would be the maximnum

Nadal is only getting better on hardcourts. 2 slams are played on hardcourts per year btw.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
NRG, meet Mimi and learn what an objective/normal Rafa fan is. You can learn few tricks from her. Meanwhile, I'll keep harassing you and your Rafito for my own pleasure  :Devil: ...  You should join MTF, you'll find many others who are even bigger fanatics than you.

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
don't get too carried away by his Candian and cinci win, he has his biggest obstacle: his old knees  ..-)

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
don't get too carried away by his Candian and cinci win, he has his biggest obstacle: his old knees  ..-)

You must have been really sad when you saw he wasn't wearing bandages at Montreal/Cincy/USO. I bet you'll be devastated when he wins the US Open (his 13th slam title already).  You probably didn't even think he'd win Roland Garros this year  :rofl_2:

NRG, meet Mimi and learn what an objective/normal Rafa fan is. You can learn few tricks from her. Meanwhile, I'll keep harassing you and your Rafito for my own pleasure  :Devil: ...  You should join MTF, you'll find many others who are even bigger fanatics than you.

Or I could just bump this thread when Nadal cruises past mimi's little 14 slam prediction.
I understand why you try to harass, because Nadal is destroying you right now. Nadal and his hardcourt prime is making your life a misery it appears  :rofl_2:

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
Truly, I didn't believe in Nadal's comeback, now I am simply amazed and sitting back to relax, enjoying it while it lasts.

As much as I didn't see him win a title at his first HC appearance this year, Madrid, Rome and even RG, I truly believed he had a big chance to win Canada and Cincy. The Wimbledon early exit distorted everyone's view and he worked hard to correct this. Now, I believe even more he'll win USO. And why stop here, he has the chance to win the most Masters tournaments this year and a great chance to finish YE#1 with a WTF won, 2 GS wins and 6 Masters wins. That would be one of the biggest domination in recent times.

Despite being a Federer fan, I always enjoy a champion, and desperately hope the future can give us more of them. :)

Online Alex

• Tennis God
ah Slash, always trying to be politically correct  :friends:. Well, maybe it's because your beautiful little daughter (I love her pic, or your avi but ... you need to be strong ... my little niece makes me so weak every time she kisses me and hugs me, I feel helpless, not sure what to do with that little angel  :))

I've learned, in real life you need to be a major cutthroat b!tch to be successful. Being nice doesn't really work ...  :innocent:. Just look at me and Babbs   :)).

K, I BS a little bit, but read in between the lines  :james-bond:

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
It's obvious that I would enjoy Federer to wipe the floor with Nadal every time they meet from now on, but what the hell... Can that really happen? So, when something can't happen, what is there to do:

1. Get angry cause your champion is s**t, anger which should not be good for the health.
2. Sit back and enjoy, put yourself behind a nice mask.

To be frank, Federer is my last favorite. He became my favorite when I was but a kid, but now I see tennis with different eyes, and I will never have another favorite again, I will remain objective for the rest of my tennis watching "career". :)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
For me the problem of this thread was never about Nadal breaking any records and whatnots but including Federer how more enjoyable it would be if he's still active while Nadal beats it.

Even as a non-Federer fan, this is completely ridiculous and so gloryhunting.

Some Nadal fans who would enjoy Nadal beating Fed's record more if Fed is still active is truly pathetic and worthy of fangirls.

If this thread was only about for example: Can Nadal beat Fed's record or so I'd be more than happy to give my contribute, because I don't see anything wrong with that, but since it is not ..........
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
For sure he will end up with 15 GS..
being very optimistic he will get 17..

2013:  US
2014: FO
2015: AO (being very optimistic),  FO
2016:  NO GS....  Farewell  CHAMP..

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
Just remember, nobody who ever placed limits on Nadal's future ever got it right. Let this hardcourt winning streak be yet another lesson for everyone. The lessons will continue for years and years and years  :first-place:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

How on earth did you get a pic of me backside?
Thank goodness Nadal is there to straighten my shorts for me.....
It would be a big mistake if he smells his finger like he usually does. :scared:

I'm gunna have nightmares.  :-o

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
Just remember, nobody who ever placed limits on Nadal's future ever got it right. Let this hardcourt winning streak be yet another lesson for everyone. The lessons will continue for years and years and years  :first-place:

that's technically wrong, i know a few people on this site who predicted Rafa wouldn't do well at Wimbledon this year, so they did put limits on him and they were correct.
Is there any chance your enthusiasm for Rafa gets you so excited that you can't actually think correctly?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:48:13 PM by jesse james »
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict

that's technically wrong, i know a few people on this site who predicted Rafa wouldn't do well at Wimbledon this year, so they did put limits on him and they were correct.
Is there any chance your enthusiasm for Rafa gets you so excited that you can't actually think correctly?

But those people who predicted he'd lose in Round One of Wimbledon also predicted he'd not win Indian Wells/Montreal/Cincy/US Open. So they were wrong. How do you think they feel now about their intuitive powers? :rofl_2: