Author Topic: Lots of Racquet advice needed for beginner!  (Read 2381 times)

Offline rabhw

• Tennis Enthusiast
Lots of Racquet advice needed for beginner!
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
Hey guys, my first post in this neck of the woods  :)

Pretty much, I've just started to get back into playing tennis after being away for about 7 years. I played this weekend and while I had a blast, my old crappy racquet that had been in my garage was really causing me problems. Needless to say the grip tape was heavily deteriorating and giving me really bad blisters on my swinging hand.

So with that said, I'm looking to buy a new one!

Is there a particular frame that you guys could recommend? I don't have super strong wrists / forearms so I guess something pretty light would be ideal. I'm also looking at head sizes, and I see they generally range from 90 all the way to 115 inches...is there something that is good for beginners but won't hamper my play as I improve?

I have really small hands for an adult (:() so I'm not sure if that affects the grip size I should be using, or if that's unrelated.

I have what feels like a million options in terms of string type, is there something you guys would recommend?

Price isn't really an issue within reason :)

Thanks for any and all advice!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Lots of Racquet advice needed for beginner!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »
Hmmm.  I like a 4 1/2" grip, but if you have smaller hands I would recommend looking at a 4 3/8" grip first, if that is too big check out a 4 1/4" grip.  4 1/4" sounds small though.

Not sure how good you were or what you need.  Check out this page from Tenniswarehouse, it might help you figure out which direction you need to go.  I bet you will be looking at a "tweener" racquet if I had to guess, but note that I said "guess"...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet/SelectingRacquet.html
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »
And, don't forget to demo rackets.   ;-()    Once you research the specs on the rackets and find some you'd like to try, then demo them so you can really get the feel for the one you like before you commit to buying it. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
I have to say my normal advice for a beginner is to go to your local big box discount sporting goods store, pick out a racquet that feels good, and as long as it doesn't feel too cheaply made, buy it, and string it with the most basic synthetic gut. Not polys like Luxilon Big Banger, or Hurricane Tour despite what anybody says. You will not appreciate those strings until you have learned how to play, and they may hurt you if you aren't swinging properly. If the racquet comes prestrung, even better (though prestrung racquets are notoriuously badly strung).
If it's not prestrung, just get it strung with some cheap synthetic that might be on sale at the mid point of the recommended tension for the frame you choose, then go out and play some tennis. If you find you like the sport, and begin to progress, and you start to come to some conclusion about what you like and don't like about the racquet and string, then start looking in to players racquets, and being more specific about what you are looking for. You can start to move the tension up and down to get to where you like it.
Right now you are a big piece of unmolded, untouched clay. How can you shape something to fit that? You can't, at least until you have some idea of what you are going to be?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:05:35 PM by dmastous »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
I also noticed you are looking at 90 sq in all the way up to 110 sq in. In general the smaller the hoop on the frame, the more advanced the racquet is going to be. The less powerfull it will be (because advanced players can generate power from their stroke, and don't need to get power from the frame). Smaller head racquets are usually heavier, and the balances is head light, meaning the balance point is more toward the handle.
The larger head sizes have bigger sweet spots and give you more power. But with that power comes less control of shot. Larger frames tend to be lighter and the balanced point is more towards the head, with more weight in the tip to give the racquet more of something called "swingweight".  They will be more maneuverable. They are more ideal for beginning players and weekend club players.
There are exceptions to these generalities, but this is what I've found to be the case.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Sleepy

• Tennis Player
  • K.B M.R S.H Maria Sharapova Maria Kirilienko
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
And, don't forget to demo rackets.   ;-()    Once you research the specs on the rackets and find some you'd like to try, then demo them so you can really get the feel for the one you like before you commit to buying it. 

Were do you demo raquets? How does that work?
P.G

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/demoprogram.html
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »

You can go to sports stores and ask them to demo tennis rackets if they have them or you can go online like MT has shown and they will ship the sticks to you for demoing. 

Offline Mike

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 06:45:45 AM »

Offline tennisamateur

• Tennis Player