Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Why I'm picking Stan to beat Djokovic

(1/6) > >>

Babblelot:
First, let's look at their last meeting, 4R 2013 AO. Djokovic narrowly escaped on his favorite court, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 12-10. And not without controversy. IIRC Stan got a horrible call late in the match that would have impacted the outcome. Stan has only gained confidence since then, something that he's been lacking his entire career. In his own words, that match made him believe he belongs with the best.

Second, Murray and Djokovic have predicated their games around playing one another, and this summer, the tour has passed them by. Maybe chalk that up to faster North American hard courts. Whatever the case, his commitment to defense and surrender of valuable court position will be Nole's undoing, just as it was Murray's. For some reason, these two didn't get the memo. Nadal did. He's a little professor. He made the necessary adjustments and is playing much more aggressively and has conceded little court position relative to years past.

My Pick: Stan def. Djokovic

SexyLatina:
doubt it but we'll see. You have so many posts here, you must be a very smart person.

Babblelot:
Yeah, the point Stan didn't challenge. I found this...

--- Quote ---Wawrinka had break point at 4-4 in the 5th set. He hit a great forehand which should have won him the point but the linesman called it out. Wawrinka asked the ump and did not challenge it. It turns out the ball was actually in on the replay played to the channel 7 viewers. This is a real shame as Wawrinka would have then served for the match.
--- End quote ---

The point would have been replayed, but a bad call cost Stan the chance to serve for the match. Too bad.

NADAL2005RG:
If Djokovic loses then it will be cool to say both Federer and Djokovic were too scared to face Nadal  :rofl_2: but in truth it won't be any surprise to see Wawrinka beat Djokovic, after what we saw in Australia.

I'm not sure what is best, receiving the #1 ranking with one of the most lopsided finals in history, or not receiving the #1 ranking but beating Djokovic for he 2nd time at US Open final. I literally can't make up my mind on this. First time I've ever failed to decide on something.

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: Babblelot on September 06, 2013, 01:05:12 AM ---First, let's look at their last meeting, 4R 2013 AO. Djokovic narrowly escaped on his favorite court, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 12-10. And not without controversy. IIRC Stan got a horrible call late in the match that would have impacted the outcome. Stan has only gained confidence since then, something that he's been lacking his entire career. In his own words, that match made him believe he belongs with the best.

Second, Murray and Djokovic have predicated their games around playing one another, and this summer, the tour has passed them by. Maybe chalk that up to faster North American hard courts. Whatever the case, his commitment to defense and surrender of valuable court position will be Nole's undoing, just as it was Murray's. For some reason, these two didn't get the memo. Nadal did. He's a little professor. He made the necessary adjustments and is playing much more aggressively and has conceded little court position relative to years past.

My Pick: Stan def. Djokovic

--- End quote ---
I think there's a not so subtle shirt occuring on the ATP away from supreme defense and ultra conservative play.  Oh, and look who's on the leading edge-  Rafa Nadal. 

In a previous post, I mentioned that last night's match between Nole and The Colonel was called 'pattycake' tennis by The Chief.  I believe she's right.  Lengthy rallies with most shots falling within the inner third of the court, neither player advancing beyond the baseline unless forced to do so....my God, it was nauseateing.  Nole looked like he had turned into the Andy (not Roddick) of old, Mr. Passive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version