Author Topic: Why I'm picking Stan to beat Djokovic  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Why I'm picking Stan to beat Djokovic
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:05:12 AM »
First, let's look at their last meeting, 4R 2013 AO. Djokovic narrowly escaped on his favorite court, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 12-10. And not without controversy. IIRC Stan got a horrible call late in the match that would have impacted the outcome. Stan has only gained confidence since then, something that he's been lacking his entire career. In his own words, that match made him believe he belongs with the best.

Second, Murray and Djokovic have predicated their games around playing one another, and this summer, the tour has passed them by. Maybe chalk that up to faster North American hard courts. Whatever the case, his commitment to defense and surrender of valuable court position will be Nole's undoing, just as it was Murray's. For some reason, these two didn't get the memo. Nadal did. He's a little professor. He made the necessary adjustments and is playing much more aggressively and has conceded little court position relative to years past.

My Pick: Stan def. Djokovic
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:06:56 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline SexyLatina

• Tennis Player
Re: Why I'm picking Stan to beat Djokovic
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »
doubt it but we'll see. You have so many posts here, you must be a very smart person.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:16:32 AM by SexyLatina »

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:17:55 AM »
Yeah, the point Stan didn't challenge. I found this...

Wawrinka had break point at 4-4 in the 5th set. He hit a great forehand which should have won him the point but the linesman called it out. Wawrinka asked the ump and did not challenge it. It turns out the ball was actually in on the replay played to the channel 7 viewers. This is a real shame as Wawrinka would have then served for the match.

The point would have been replayed, but a bad call cost Stan the chance to serve for the match. Too bad.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 04:45:23 AM »
If Djokovic loses then it will be cool to say both Federer and Djokovic were too scared to face Nadal  :rofl_2: but in truth it won't be any surprise to see Wawrinka beat Djokovic, after what we saw in Australia.

I'm not sure what is best, receiving the #1 ranking with one of the most lopsided finals in history, or not receiving the #1 ranking but beating Djokovic for he 2nd time at US Open final. I literally can't make up my mind on this. First time I've ever failed to decide on something.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:40:55 AM »
First, let's look at their last meeting, 4R 2013 AO. Djokovic narrowly escaped on his favorite court, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 12-10. And not without controversy. IIRC Stan got a horrible call late in the match that would have impacted the outcome. Stan has only gained confidence since then, something that he's been lacking his entire career. In his own words, that match made him believe he belongs with the best.

Second, Murray and Djokovic have predicated their games around playing one another, and this summer, the tour has passed them by. Maybe chalk that up to faster North American hard courts. Whatever the case, his commitment to defense and surrender of valuable court position will be Nole's undoing, just as it was Murray's. For some reason, these two didn't get the memo. Nadal did. He's a little professor. He made the necessary adjustments and is playing much more aggressively and has conceded little court position relative to years past.

I think there's a not so subtle shirt occuring on the ATP away from supreme defense and ultra conservative play.  Oh, and look who's on the leading edge-  Rafa Nadal. 

In a previous post, I mentioned that last night's match between Nole and The Colonel was called 'pattycake' tennis by The Chief.  I believe she's right.  Lengthy rallies with most shots falling within the inner third of the court, neither player advancing beyond the baseline unless forced to do so....my God, it was nauseateing.  Nole looked like he had turned into the Andy (not Roddick) of old, Mr. Passive.
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 05:42:54 AM »
If Djokovic loses then it will be cool to say both Federer and Djokovic were too scared to face Nadal  :rofl_2: but in truth  , after what we saw in Australia.

I'm not sure what is best, receiving the #1 ranking with one of the most lopsided finals in history, or not receiving the #1 ranking but beating Djokovic for he 2nd time at US Open final. I literally can't make up my mind on this. First time I've ever failed to decide on something.
:zipped:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »
I mean beating Djokovic in the final again would be a much better feeling than beating Wawrinka, but I have a lot of trouble seeing Djokovic on my TV screen. Djokovic is unwatchable.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:13:33 AM »

I think there's a not so subtle shirt occuring on the ATP away from supreme defense and ultra conservative play.  Oh, and look who's on the leading edge-  Rafa Nadal. 

In a previous post, I mentioned that last night's match between Nole and The Colonel was called 'pattycake' tennis by The Chief.  I believe she's right.  Lengthy rallies with most shots falling within the inner third of the court, neither player advancing beyond the baseline unless forced to do so....my God, it was nauseateing.  Nole looked like he had turned into the Andy (not Roddick) of old, Mr. Passive.

Yeah, The Chief nailed it. I call it pattycake, too.

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »
I  clearly remember you picking Ferrer over Tsonga at the FO this year,   and you were 100% accurate,  but I think this time your prediction will not be fulfilled,     but if Stan does beat Djoko  I will definitely ask you advice for future bets.

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:43:02 AM »
I  clearly remember you picking Ferrer over Tsonga at the FO this year,   and you were 100% accurate,  but I think this time your prediction will not be fulfilled,     but if Stan does beat Djoko  I will definitely ask you advice for future bets.

:laugh-bounce:

I only go big when I make one of these predictions.

I don't find picking Rafa, Murray, Nole, or Roger that insightful.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »
I'm calling it, too. Stan's playing better than ever, and there's no reason at all that Nole should've dropped a set to Youzhny. The only reason he's been blowing people out is because he's been playing nobodies who were already tired. Stan will be two or three levels higher than what he's played so far this tourney, and I don't think he'll be ready for it.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
Djokovic vs. Wawrinka - Australian open 2013 R4 Highlights (HD)

Look out that single hand backhand :gleam:

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
Yeah, his BH is phenomenal. The two best one-handers in the game (in my opinion) are both in the semis. And my assumption is that one will be in the final! (I'll give you a hint......it's not Gasquet :)~ )

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
If he can keep his AO and USO run this year, he can definitely beat him.

If he keeps his composure and focus like he did vs Murray he can even win it comfortably.

He was so intzelligent in his match vs Murray that it was a simply joy to watch.

After ripping stokes in 1st two sets, Murray only had to stay passive and wait for Wawrinka to shower him with UE!
 But NO!
Stan wasn't mindlessly attacking Murray every shot, he was very patient in terms when to go for an incredible winner. Something Haas couldn't do vs Youzhny unfortunately.

That was the first case. Or second case that could have been lethal for Stan is if ha went all passive like Gasquet did after going 2 sets up vs Ferrer while he could have easily won it in straights if he stayed determined and aggressive. In that case he would have to play 5 sets, hence would increase his chances vs Nadal drastically.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
........   I only go big when I make one of these predictions.

I don't find picking Rafa, Murray, Nole, or Roger that insightful.

Loooool!  This will be my quote of the tennis year.   :rofl_2:
Mind you picking Federer might be insightful given how he's playing.

I find your analysis compelling, Babblelot.   In watching how he played against AM, it wasn't just how superbly he attacked, but he read AM like an open book, playing with a confidence I haven't seen in him before.   If ND is passive & predictable, I too pick SW. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:19:46 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »

Yeah, The Chief nailed it. I call it pattycake, too.
She's a tennis fan and a 2.5 playa, but no dummy by any means (except for when she married me! :rofl_2:)
It was a tough match to watch as I held out hope The Colonel would move forward just a smidge and play more aggressively.  That never happened and Jokeadick just held on for another smarmy win. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »
Nole will take it 6-2. 6-3, 6-0
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 07:52:35 PM »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »
No way. Djokovic will be in full force.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »