Non-Tennis Discussions > General Discussions

Humans, progress and the future.

(1/5) > >>

jesse james:
Given that we've been recognizably human for arguably 150 thousand years, and that life was very nasty brutish and short around that time, it seems eminently reasonable to me, that humans are on a trajectory of progress that is both heartening and at odds with a contemporary view of things as going to hell in a hand cart pretty damn fast.
what say you?

Swish:
Most of us won't have to worry about it for longer than 80 years, at that time most of the "newness" of life has long passed and the wonder that comes with it.

We can live longer these days but still will have to face the last day eventually, no exceptions.

What happens then is up for debate, better to hedge your bets, try to be nice and do some good things just in case there's some kind of reward for doing so.

Babblelot:
I consider myself a realist, but I often come across as a pessimist. It's simply that I'm not burdened by youth or children or religion.

I'll have time to join this discussion later.

jesse james:

--- Quote from: Swish on September 14, 2013, 08:09:07 PM ---Most of us won't have to worry about it for longer than 80 years, at that time most of the "newness" of life has long passed and the wonder that comes with it.

We can live longer these days but still will have to face the last day eventually, no exceptions.

What happens then is up for debate, better to hedge your bets, try to be nice and do some good things just in case there's some kind of reward for doing so.

--- End quote ---

I take your point about only having eighty odd years to 'worry about it', but what I'm getting at is that that many of us, certainly those in the West, live longer, are wealthier and are subject to much less violence that was historically the case, and yet we still tend to think things are falling apart.
The humanitarian and rights revolutions have been part of the enlightenment project that has more or less made most of our lives better-in terms of egalitarianism, yet we are remarkably indifferent to this, whether through historic amnesia or a tendency to be persuaded by the propagandizing of the media, propaganda in the sense of only that which is negative, to submit to a view that the world turns for the worse.

Babblelot:
Human progress aside, this planet is gonna burn or freeze. Mars II? Or, perhaps, some people along the, oh, I don't know...pfft, of course Americans will survive! God blessed America! And Americans will start over. The owner class will find themselves some slaves rebuild their fortunes. Feudalism will emerge.

That's just human nature.

If you were wondering, Karma is something that rich people invented to make poor people feel better about themselves, if only for a brief moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version