Author Topic: ATP 500 - China Open, Beijing, China(Sep 30 - October 6)  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Re: ATP 500 - China Open, Beijing, China(Sep 30 - October 6)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
Thanks, Lugburz.

An excellent field, with some interesting matches to look forward to.   What a surprise that Djokovic / Nadal are in opposite sides of the draw  -   these "random" draws are really clever.     :rofl_2:

And loooool! to Nadal playing a qualifier in round one, with every one else in his quarter playing good opposition. As though he needs the extra help!!    :))     Haas / Hewitt could be tough, and Fognini / Robredo should be well contested (these too aren't too fond of each other, from what I can remember) and Montagnes / Kohlshreiber could be well fought too.     

In the other quarter, I note Dimitrov is here and hope he can play well. Will he be another one to promise so much,but fail to deliver on results?  If he plays he'll likely meet Isner in the QF, which could be a challenge.   Berdych seems to have the least challenging quarter, unless Davydenko can wake his game up. 

Djokovic has a straightforward quarter too, with a likely QF against Wawrinka. If that happens, it could be an interesting match. 

Ferrer could face Gasquet in the QF. 

I'll go out on a limb and, for some peculiar reason, say I think either Djokovic or Nadal will win this! 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:49:48 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »
Haas faces Hewitt after 9 years!

Could have been much better match if they met at USO, but this will do also after 9 years lol

Epic match-up!

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »
Haas faces Hewitt after 9 years!

Could have been much better match if they met at USO, but this will do also after 9 years lol

Epic match-up!

That would be Monday.  :)     http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/747/op.pdf

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
No stream!  :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »
finally found a stream, a bit late but it will do!

http://sports.uusee.com/live/

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
Some surprises already, I see.  I thought Hewitt -v- Haas would be interesting, but had expected a better contest than a straight sets loss by Haas whom I was supporting as I love his game. My commiserations to Lugburz.  - it wasn't an epic after all. 
That said, I can't help feeling pleased for Hewitt. He won't be there long, but it's good to see him get  through to fight another day.

The answer to my question on Dimitrov is obviously "looks like it so far".   He was, it seems, thrashed by Bautusta-Agut.   
Fognini / Robredo went to 3 sets, with FF prevailing, and I'm pleased to see Kohlshreiber through, also in 3 sets. 

The results thus far:

Hewitt   defeats    Haas           76(6) 63   
 Tomic   defeats    Zhang   76(4) 64   
 Fognini   defeats    Robredo   75 46 63   
 Kohlschreiber   defeats   Montanes   75 16 76(4)   
 Bautista Agut   defeats   Dimitrov   64 62

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:45:28 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »
Nadal has not lost a hardcourt match all season, after he missed the opening few weeks of 2013 with a stomach virus.

Into the semi's.
This guy is unbelievable.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
Nadal has not lost a hardcourt match all season, after he missed the opening few weeks of 2013 with a stomach virus.

Into the semi's.

Maybe, but he looks like he is wearing himself down.  This sucks for Nadal fans who rather see the guy focus on fewer tourneys right now to prep for the Aussie. 
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »

Into the semi's.

Maybe, but he looks like he is wearing himself down.  This sucks for Nadal fans who rather see the guy focus on fewer tourneys right now to prep for the Aussie.
I only saw the highlights.
Was there a sign of him wearing down?
It makes sense.
Personally, I'd rather see an assault on the Grand Slam and fewer tourneys played.
But, I've always said Nadal is a rhythm player and needs to strike a ton of balls both in practice and in competition in order to stay sharp.  He's admitted as much himself.  Finding the timing on that long loopy FH whip is difficult as conditions change week to week.
I think he needs to practice and play alot.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Lo! and behold!  We have Foginini, playing like he means it, only to then lose the match.  Still, he isn't the  first & he won't be the last.  Nadal has the most incredible will to win, even when having an off moment.

Querry had an encounter with short shrift from Djokovic - no surprises there.

Ferrer seems to be off kilter of late, going out in straights against Gasquet, and Isner ousted by Berdych in straights too.

The inevitable Nadal / Djokovic final looms large.
Carpe Diem

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

Into the semi's.

It makes sense.
Personally, I'd rather see an assault on the Grand Slam and fewer tourneys played.
But, I've always said Nadal is a rhythm player and needs to strike a ton of balls both in practice and in competition in order to stay sharp.  He's admitted as much himself.  Finding the timing on that long loopy FH whip is difficult as conditions change week to week.

It could be just that he is tired, both physically and mentally. But that first set he looked a bit ragged.  Not chasing as hard as normal.  And seemingly avoiding certain movements.  With anyone else you would think they were just out of sorts, but with Nadal's history of injuries you always got to wonder how that knee is feeling if he isn't going 110%.
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
Lo! and behold!  We have Foginini, playing like he means it, only to then lose the match.  Still, he isn't the  first & he won't be the last.  Nadal has the most incredible will to win, even when having an off moment.

Querry had an encounter with short shrift from Djokovic - no surprises there.

Ferrer seems to be off kilter of late, going out in straights against Gasquet, and Isner ousted by Berdych in straights too.

The inevitable Nadal / Djokovic final looms large.
I saw the last 2 sets of that match.
I know Ferrer plays right along, but he was going at a furious pace on service by the end of the match.  Had me wondering if he was testing Gasquet's fitness or just trying to get the match over with??? :confused1:  If anything, I'd have give Gasdick a few moments to think about things and possibly choke. :Confused:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 06:16:08 AM »

Into the semi's.

It makes sense.

It could be just that he is tired, both physically and mentally. But that first set he looked a bit ragged.  Not chasing as hard as normal.  And seemingly avoiding certain movements.  With anyone else you would think they were just out of sorts, but with Nadal's history of injuries you always got to wonder how that knee is feeling if he isn't going 110%.
That's not good news.
Perhaps he's pulling up a bit to conserve energy?
That doesn't really make sense considering his character.
Hopefully he stays healthy.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 04:07:58 AM »
Much as I admire Nadal's determination and given that his achievements this season are self evident, I concede that it isn't easy to beat him.

But I disagree that he loses only because he's tired.  Or injured. This is a myth that I do not conform to.  Fogninni played an excellent first set, and Nadal couldn't grasp his chances. That is why he lost it.  When he settled down, he wrenched the momentum back, and it was almost hypnotic to see him do it, as much for how FF lost the momentum being up in the second set, and for how RN got underway.

Congratulations to Nadal for regaining the world number one ranking.  He has taken control of the tour with breathtaking consistency and thoroughly deserves the top ranking.

As for the near walk over against Berdych, I'll say only that I have little time for TB.  He fails to put up a meaningful contest against Nadal in their encounters in any event, and whilst I can't deny that he might well have been injured, I believe he just took the easy way out. Will this injury melt away in Shanghai? 

As expected, Gasquet had nothing to worry Djokovic with & the inevitable straight sets win ensued.

In the final, I have just started watching. Djokovic took the first set 6-3 ( I'd like to see the catch up later as to how he played it ) and is up 2-0, with RN serving. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:46:34 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 04:19:41 AM »
Djokovic playing like Djokovic. Some quite outstanding, clean hitting from him.  He's serving, 3-2 in the second set.

RN putting up an excellent challenge, going for his shots.  ND holds after going to deuce.

And RN holds too, it's 4-3 to ND, with him serving.

RN exerted enormous pressure, and really pushed ND in that game. But ND held.  5-3 to him.

And there were some errors from ND in that game.  RN holds, it's 5-4, and ND serving for the match.

ND holds to love, and wins to defend his title.  He wins 63,64.   He outplayed RN here, and any talk that RN lost due to anything other than that, is just drivel.

Congratulations to all Djokovic fans. He looked ropey not so long ago,but seems sharp & is playing beautifully again.  Shanghai will be interesting.

This is ND's 4th Beijing title, a record for the tournament. Very well done to him.

And whilst RN didn't win the title, he made it to yet another final.  His consistency and form have been remarkable, and he is very much the man to beat on tour. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:52:52 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »
Djokovic playing like Djokovic. Some quite outstanding, clean hitting from him.  He's serving, 3-2 in the second set.

RN putting up an excellent challenge, going for his shots.  ND holds after going to deuce.

And RN holds too, it's 4-3 to ND, with him serving.

RN exerted enormous pressure, and really pushed ND in that game. But ND held.  5-3 to him.

And there were some errors from ND in that game.  RN holds, it's 5-4, and ND serving for the match.

ND holds to love, and wins to defend his title.  He wins 63,64.   He outplayed RN here, and any talk that RN lost due to anything other than that, is just drivel.
Congratulations to all Djokovic fans. He looked ropey not so long ago,but seems sharp & is playing beautifully again.  Shanghai will be interesting.

This is ND's 4th Beijing title, a record for the tournament. Very well done to him.

And whilst RN didn't win the title, he made it to yet another final.  His consistency and form have been remarkable, and he is very much the man to beat on tour.
Good stuff.
Thanks for the update.
I look forward to watching the match later this evening.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »
Enjoy watching the final, Monstertruck.   :)

I'm delighted to see one of my favourite doubles players,Max Mirnyi,win the doubles title with Tacau.  they beat Seppi / Fognini,64,62.   It's their 3rd title this year and MM's 4th title,having also won the mixed doubles at the USO with Hlavackova.  I think MM has won at least one doubles title per year since 1999. 

Tecau had time off for injury this year, so this result will no doubt boost the pair's morale heading into Shanghai.

I can't find a WTA thread for Beijing, so will comment here, because Serena Williams continues her extraordinary march onwards.  I read somewhere that she might be carrying a minor injury, but if so, she didn't make a meal of it and beat Jankovic 62,62,  to win her 10th title of the year.  Congratulations to her.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:06:06 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
I hope you weren't taking my assessment of Nadal's QF match as an excuse for him losing that first set. 

You just have to understand, that with Nadal, health is always the #1 concern.  So it isn't, "Nadal only lost because he is hurt".  Yet whenever you see him not giving his trademark 110%, not chasing down a ball he usually could get, or seemingly avoiding a certain movement...

You have to wonder.

We all know he has the issues, he can certainly play through it, but for a lot of Nadal fans (myself included), we would prefer him to take it a bit easier on the schedule to ensure his best health at the majors. 
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »
I just watched the end of the first and beginning of the 2nd set.
Nole appears to be moving well and his ROS looks great.
Nadal seems to be going for a bit more on serve.  I like that! :thumbs-up:
Still, this style of tennis just doesn't interest me so I'm going to vacuum the house instead. :ZZZZZ)

I too, like 'The Beast'.
I was a bit disappointed when he chose to focus more on dubs instead of singles.  That appears to have been a brilliant move on his part! :))  His slam victory at the USO with Hlavakova (who won both Women's and Mixed!!!) was fun to watch.

As legendary as Serena is, I think it's a sad commentary on the WTA that no one can beat this old lady who is a part-time player who doesn't appear to focus on tennis.
CONK da ball!!!