Author Topic: ATP 500 - Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Champion, Tokyo, Japan(Sep 30 - October 6)  (Read 821 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Thanks, Lugburz.

It's a good draw here - I'm pleased to see Del Potro taking part. His first round match against Baghdatis could be tricky & promises to be a good match. 

Could this be the one that Dolgopolov wins?   :))  I'd be grinning away if so.

Monfils  v Tsonga in round one - pity, as both could have made it into the deeper rounds, and both need to gain some momentum.   It should be a good match.
Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Looks like a pretty good tournament. Good to see Del Potro back in action too.

It's been kind of quiet lately so any action on the courts is appreciated.  :king:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
I hope I can watch the Del Potro / Baghdatis match Swish  Tennistv.com don't start coverage until Thursday, so I'll be looking for something else. Any ideas please?

Meanwhile, Dolgopolov won convincingly, 63,61.  Good stuff.
Almagro needed 2 tie breaks to get through & Niemenen beat Monaco 76,61.  Tsonga maintains his record against Monfils by beating him  63,76.

Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
I hope I can watch the Del Potro / Baghdatis match Swish  Tennistv.com don't start coverage until Thursday, so I'll be looking for something else. Any ideas please?

Meanwhile, Dolgopolov won convincingly, 63,61.  Good stuff.
Almagro needed 2 tie breaks to get through & Niemenen beat Monaco 76,61.  Tsonga maintains his record against Monfils by beating him  63,76.

I'm not sure if you can get this espn, they are particular where they stream but here's the link you can try.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/search/tennis/channel/espn3/

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
Thanks Swish. It didn't work, but SportLemon wasn't too bad - i missed the Del Potro match - a pity as Baghdatis seems to have put up a challenge.  D-P plays Berlocq next.    I caught the last set of the Nishikori match, which was one sided in that 3rd set.

Here's the schedule for tomorrow  - I'll try to watch the DelPotro match & the Tipsarevic / Dolgopolov one. :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/schedule.aspx?EventId=329

Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Thanks Swish. It didn't work, but SportLemon wasn't too bad - i missed the Del Potro match - a pity as Baghdatis seems to have put up a challenge.  D-P plays Berlocq next.    I caught the last set of the Nishikori match, which was one sided in that 3rd set.

Here's the schedule for tomorrow  - I'll try to watch the DelPotro match & the Tipsarevic / Dolgopolov one. :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/schedule.aspx?EventId=329

Del Potro wears me down.
He plays so well at times then is seemingly gone for months at a time.

I question his desire, how bad does he really want to win?  :dunno:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
Obviously, injury is a cruel blow to sportsmen,  Swish,  and he has a wrist injury at that.  I may be wrong but I'm assuming he is absent due to injury.    Gaining momentum after long gaps is a hurdle in itself, and the cycle of absence / rehabilitation / trying to gain momentum can't be easy to cope with in an already tough context of competitive sport at this level.   I like his game too, and if itís disappointing for us as fans, it must be tough for him, unless, as you say, he isn't too bothered about things, in which case he's unlikely to make the most of his potential.    Anyway, he got through in a more straightforward manner today,  which should help conserve energy levels.

Iím not entirely surprised to see Tsonga go out as he seems less than emphatic out there after his return from injury.  And Iím delighted to see Dolgopolov through!     

Results for the 2nd October:

Del Potro   d    Berlocq    62 62
 Raonic   d   Soeda   64 76(0)
 Dodig   d  Tsonga   64 76(5)   
 Dolgopolov  d Tipsarevic   63 76(2)
 Chardy   d   Chiudinelli   76(2) 36 76(6)   
 Nieminen  d  Przysiezny  67(4) 64 62   

Schedule for the 3rd October:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/scores/schedule.aspx?year=2013&eventid=329
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
My man Dolgopolov did well & put up a good match against Del Potro.  He has such a beautiful game,AD.
Good job by Del Potro to get through.

The surprise of the day was Almagro beating Nishikori.  ( where's Babblelot ?  :))   )    He's unlikely to get past Del Potro, but stranger things have happened.

Dodig can play well but Raonic is on form and will likely win.  I like Lacko's game. Pity he couldn't put up more of a contest against MR.

So a Del Potro / Raonic final looms seems imminent. 

Del Potro is my man.
Carpe Diem

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
My man Dolgopolov did well & put up a good match against Del Potro.  He has such a beautiful game,AD.
Good job by Del Potro to get through.

The surprise of the day was Almagro beating Nishikori.  ( where's Babblelot ?  :))   )    He's unlikely to get past Del Potro, but stranger things have happened.

Dodig can play well but Raonic is on form and will likely win.  I like Lacko's game. Pity he couldn't put up more of a contest against MR.

So a Del Potro / Raonic final looms seems imminent. 

Del Potro is my man.
As much as I like DPot, I'll go with Raonic.
I still have high hopes for him. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Obviously, injury is a cruel blow to sportsmen,  Swish,  and he has a wrist injury at that.  I may be wrong but I'm assuming he is absent due to injury.    Gaining momentum after long gaps is a hurdle in itself, and the cycle of absence / rehabilitation / trying to gain momentum can't be easy to cope with in an already tough context of competitive sport at this level.   I like his game too, and if it’s disappointing for us as fans, it must be tough for him, unless, as you say, he isn't too bothered about things, in which case he's unlikely to make the most of his potential.    Anyway, he got through in a more straightforward manner today,  which should help conserve energy levels.

The different kind of injuries has to take a mental toll also.

Well we have Raonic and DelPo going for the title in 5 hours and also Nadal is playing at about the same time against Djokovic.
I'll miss them both and have to be content with reading the scores in the morning.

One thing about Roanic, he stayed fairly level in his game for a few years but now I've noticed a difference in attitude and play, he's improving.

Usually I would just pick DelPo but it is less clear now, it'll depend on the game performance they bring.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
DelPo Roanic ready.

Some talk about Roanic cheating in their previous encounter.  :)>>>>

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:23:28 AM by Swish »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
An excellent win for Del Potro in Tokyo.  Iím pleased to see him lift the trophy, and hope this bodes well for his campaign in Shanghai.  I could watch him hit & make that superb forehand of his all day. What a shot.    Congratulations to Swish and all Del Potro fans.

Monstertruck, I donít know if you watched the match ( I just finished watching the ďcatch upĒ ) Raonic had the momentum in the first set, holding serve more easily than D-P.   And there were errors from both in the tb.  MR was ahead 2-0 at the start until D-P hit the most exquisite forehand down the line to pull back a point on MRís serve, and then even it up. MR double faulted to give D-P his first set point, holding his second serve point to take it to 6-5, but D-P served an ace to clinch the set.    MR played a better first set than D-P and if the word ďdeserveĒ has any meaning in a match, then MR deserved to win that set on how he played to get to the tb.    In the latter part of the tb though, D-P had the momentum & in the end, thatís all that mattered.
The 2nd set was closely contested too, with some lovely exchanges between these two. D-P played a superb game to break MR in the 11th game.  He managed to hold serve for the title.
There wasnít a lot in it, but when it mattered, D-P took advantage. 

Swish - MR has improved as you say.  From what I can tell, the liason with Ljubicic is working very well.   
As for D-P, I've enjoyed seeing that outstanding forehand of his again.   It has been a sight for sore eyes.   :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:14:37 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Obviously, injury is a cruel blow to sportsmen,  Swish,  and he has a wrist injury at that.  I may be wrong but I'm assuming he is absent due to injury.    Gaining momentum after long gaps is a hurdle in itself, and the cycle of absence / rehabilitation / trying to gain momentum can't be easy to cope with in an already tough context of competitive sport at this level.   I like his game too, and if itís disappointing for us as fans, it must be tough for him, unless, as you say, he isn't too bothered about things, in which case he's unlikely to make the most of his potential.    Anyway, he got through in a more straightforward manner today,  which should help conserve energy levels.

The different kind of injuries has to take a mental toll also.

Well we have Raonic and DelPo going for the title in 5 hours and also Nadal is playing at about the same time against Djokovic.
I'll miss them both and have to be content with reading the scores in the morning.

One thing about Roanic, he stayed fairly level in his game for a few years but now I've noticed a difference in attitude and play, he's improving.

Usually I would just pick DelPo but it is less clear now, it'll depend on the game performance they bring.
Care to elaborate?
Especially re: the attitude.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
I've yet to watch the match GBY.
Saw the trophy presentation late last night. :mad1:
I look forward to watching it later this evening.
CONK da ball!!!