Author Topic: Does tennis have a doping problem?  (Read 749 times)

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
Does tennis have a doping problem?
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:34:03 AM »
After another doping acquisation in tennis in today's Dutch news, and the recent bans of Troicki and Cilic. I read some more, and I came along some very interesting articles that offer a unique perspective on the possibility of doping in tennis.

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com/
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/08/tennis-has-a-doping-problem.html
(Dutch) http://nielskijkttennis.wordpress.com/doping/

What are your thoughts on this?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Does tennis have a doping problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:27:15 PM »
I wouldn't doubt it, if some are caught then a decent chance even more than that are doping.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »
I just don't care anymore. There are two facets of the doping discussion.
The bottom line is steroids don't make people better tennis players, or football players, or baseball players, or better anything.
What steroids do is allow a person recover from great effort much faster. This is great for older tennis players who want to recover from a grueling match to play effectively the next day. It allows relief pitchers to recover from an outing one day then coming back and pitching well again the next day.
More important; it allows athletes to work harder more often. To work the biceps one day, then come back and do it again the next. That way they get stronger faster.
This idea of athletes being lazy by taking steroids is totally false. To my mind it's exactly the opposite. An athlete who is taking steroids to get better is extremely dedicated to his or her craft.
The big downside of athletes taking steroids is athletes are roll models for young children. Young children frequently ape their athletic heroes, and do the same things the athletes do. But steroids for children is very bad. They are growing and their muscles can be damaged by taking steroids at too young of an age.
This is the main reason, and a good one, for making steroids illegal.
But the cat is out of the bag, and has been for a long time. I'm beginning to think it's time for some education for the children and allowing athletes to just become the best they can be.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:37:38 AM »
Wow!
I don't think I've ever heard any fan support steroid use.

You're description of the benefits they provide seems accurate.
I don't know what the side effects are to the athletes these days.
I know back in the 80's they were pretty bad.

I've never tried them and probably never will.
Perhaps it should be left up to the individual to treat their body as they wish.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
Wow!

Perhaps it should be left up to the individual to treat their body as they wish.

Steroids are actually used at times to slow the aging process down. I don't know what effects there are on mature adults.
I know it messes up young people (maybe up to 25 years old), and children's growth. No question about that.
Maybe there are negative effects on adults as well (like sterility), but that's a decision that can be made for themselves by a consenting adult.
As I said, I do understand the illegality of steroids based on the children doing whatever their heroes are doing. If Roger Clemons does steroids, then many fans of Clemons will be doing them as well. You just can't justify allowing adults to do something and then tell kids (who are 10 feet tall and bulletproof) they can't do it. They just won't listen and will use them anyway.
I just don't like the current public furor, and misinformation over steroid use. I'm not sure anymore if they should be outlawed as they are.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
Wow!

Steroids are actually used at times to slow the aging process down. I don't know what effects there are on mature adults.
I know it messes up young people (maybe up to 25 years old), and children's growth. No question about that.
Maybe there are negative effects on adults as well (like sterility), but that's a decision that can be made for themselves by a consenting adult.
As I said, I do understand the illegality of steroids based on the children doing whatever their heroes are doing. If Roger Clemons does steroids, then many fans of Clemons will be doing them as well. You just can't justify allowing adults to do something and then tell kids (who are 10 feet tall and bulletproof) they can't do it. They just won't listen and will use them anyway.
I just don't like the current public furor, and misinformation over steroid use. I'm not sure anymore if they should be outlawed as they are.
Fair enough.
I certainly don't know anything about today's steroids. :Confused:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »
Maybe I should try them and see if my knees feel better after a match.  And my back, shoulder, elbow...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 06:19:29 AM »
Maybe I should try them and see if my knees feel better after a match.  And my back, shoulder, elbow...
Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Perhaps Dr. Swishenstein will weigh in on the pros & cons of steroid use for the Over-The-Hill Gang. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »

You would be a prime test case indeed.

Just don't forget what I said about sterility being a possible side effect....  :nono:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
Perhaps Dr. Swishenstein will weigh in on the pros & cons of steroid use for the Over-The-Hill Gang. :))

And that would be most of you.  :rofl_2:

It works but a knowledgeable doctor is needed to constantly monitor blood levels.
The cost would be high and unless there is a clear cut goal it wouldn't be worth it.

Even with some of the best doctors in this area it wouldn't be risk free, everyone has a unique system and even the best doctors can be caught off guard with unexpected results.

Those weight/bodybuilders take enormous risk by taking steroids, most don't even have any bloood tests to monitor their levels, they just use what worked for someone else.

DHEA is sold legally and most can use this safely, the risk is minimal but there's plenty of studies that show very good benefits.
The levels decrease after late 20's so the goal is to bring the lowered levels to that of a mid 20 year old.

Then there's herbs to help decrease estrogen in men, they are very safe and will help increase testosterone. It can be noticeable with more energy and sex drive.  :king:

In short, steroids are risky.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:23:32 AM »

And that would be most of you.   :rofl_2:

It works but a knowledgeable doctor is needed to constantly monitor blood levels.
The cost would be high and unless there is a clear cut goal it wouldn't be worth it.

Even with some of the best doctors in this area it wouldn't be risk free, everyone has a unique system and even the best doctors can be caught off guard with unexpected results.

Those weight/bodybuilders take enormous risk by taking steroids, most don't even have any bloood tests to monitor their levels, they just use what worked for someone else.

DHEA is sold legally and most can use this safely, the risk is minimal but there's plenty of studies that show very good benefits.
The levels decrease after late 20's so the goal is to bring the lowered levels to that of a mid 20 year old.

Then there's herbs to help decrease estrogen in men, they are very safe and will help increase testosterone. It can be noticeable with more energy and sex drive.  :king:

You mean you're not part of The Gang yet? ;-()

I may have to check out the herbs.
My moobies are out of control. :Blush:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »

And that would be most of you.   :rofl_2:

My brother eats nothing but herbs and natural foods. He has become something of an expert on them.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »

And that would be most of you. :rofl_2:

Check them out, they can help.

And yeah, I'm part of the gang of oldsters.

Offline winwalk

• New Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 04:21:38 AM »
I wouldn't doubt it