Author Topic: So long  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
So long
« on: October 02, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
I won't be posting here any more. It was great to interact and meet so many of you here ... It's too bad that it came to this, but some people here lost completely their sense of  humor. I got banned twice here in last 2 months for nothing after posting here for over 7 years , for having a big mouth and simply fooling around ... big Romanian bro is watching, he can even read your private PMs. disgusting.

Some new mod kids are trying too hard to exercise their mod powers and sh!t (does anyone know what Sekuritatea is?) ... greetings to Scott and his new communist infantile mods ... Good old posters who actually wanted to talk about tennis and who were so much fun are all gone.   

The board, for the longest time,  has been self moderated. Everything was just fine the way it used to be. 

Scott, feel free to  delete my profile  ...

Again, my deepest respect to so many guys/gals I enjoyed interacting with here (yeah B!tch Babbs  :)~, Dallas, Sid, MT, Swish, mimi, Pawan, Dmas, Chris, Kittens, Conchita, BGT, FFF  and many others).

Take care,
Alex

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:24:30 PM by Alex »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: So long
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
Seven years is a long time.

Things were handled terribly, some of the most low level thinking I've seen in awhile.  :rofl_2:

I'll stop by MTF now and then.   :cool:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
I can tell you from experience, it's hard to go away permanently.
But good luck in the future, and hope you keep in touch.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:30:51 AM »
You're right Alex, T4U sure has changed over the years.
It's been fun having you around here.
All the best to you. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:53:23 AM »
LOL, it was Scott who read your PM and decided to ban you, but feel free to believe what you must. Like I told Nekro back then, I cannot read and ban upon PMs.

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
Sorry for adding fuel into the fire but I do think your ban was justified.  Anyway, wish you good luck and all the best  :innocent:

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »
I won't be posting here any more. It was great to interact and meet so many of you here ... It's too bad that it came to this, but some people here lost completely their sense of  humor. I got banned twice here in last 2 months for nothing after posting here for over 7 years , for having a big mouth and simply fooling around ... big Romanian bro is watching, he can even read your private PMs. disgusting.

Some new mod kids are trying too hard to exercise their mod powers and sh!t (does anyone know what Sekuritatea is?) ... greetings to Scott and his new communist infantile mods ... Good old posters who actually wanted to talk about tennis and who were so much fun are all gone.   

The board, for the longest time,  has been self moderated. Everything was just fine the way it used to be. 

Scott, feel free to  delete my profile  ...

Again, my deepest respect to so many guys/gals I enjoyed interacting with here (yeah B!tch Babbs  :)~, Dallas, Sid, MT, Swish, mimi, Pawan, Dmas, Chris, Kittens, Conchita, BGT, FFF  and many others).

Take care,
Alex

What the heck?!  No props to The Logo.

I am disappointed  :rofl_2:

Enjoy and good luck with your boy at the Aussie.  He is becoming near automatic there.
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 05:38:40 PM »
I'm not sure what all this about, Alex, but I'm sorry that you feel you can't stay and contribute here.  You were the first person to welcome me when I joined here, and I've often found your comments to be thought provoking and interesting,even if I haven't agreed with them. 

If you can't find a way forward here, I'd like wish you well.  All the best, Alex. 
Carpe Diem

Offline ProdigyEng

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
Hahahahahahahahah our Candian friend having an epic meltdown once more.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
Bummer, sorry you feel you need to leave. 

Do understand that if bad things are said I have no choice but to ban or it will give people the freedom to do it over and over again.  I hate banning people, hate it, and that is obvious by the number of bans I have thrown down in the last 10 years.

Yes MT, the forums have changed.  I still leave it to the people to make this their home, a better place to stop and hang out for some good ol' tennis chattin'. 

When it gets chaotic is when I have to do something...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »

Do understand that if bad things are said I have no choice but to ban or it will give people the freedom to do it over and over again.  I hate banning people, hate it, and that is obvious by the number of bans I have thrown down in the last 10 years.

Yes MT, the forums have changed.  I still leave it to the people to make this their home, a better place to stop and hang out for some good ol' tennis chattin'. 

You do what you gotta do Scoots.  No questions asked.

My perception is here at T4U, the majority of 'tennis' fans have been replaced by 'player' fans who attach some personal self-worth to the success or failure of the player they idolize.  Every thread eventually turns into a pissin contest about between fangirls.  Did you ever notice the fangirls don't attach themselves to someone like Kei Nishikori?  Or the doubles team of Paes & Stepanek? ;-()

There's still a few nuggets here and there.
I always appreciated Alex's input though he got a bit kooky at times and downright rude once.

Awful nice to see The Logo & DMastous participating a bit.

Can you please get Mimi to stop posting about Moon Cakes & Dim Sum? :lmao:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »

My perception is here at T4U, the majority of 'tennis' fans have been replaced by 'player' fans who attach some personal self-worth to the success or failure of the player they idolize.  Every thread eventually turns into a pissin contest about between fangirls.  Did you ever notice the fangirls don't attach themselves to someone like Kei Nishikori?  Or the doubles team of Paes & Stepanek? ;-()

This has always been the case. There's no way you can get away from this aspect of forums. The more passionate the fans, the more they post.
The only player I've ever been that passionate about was Yannick Noah. Since then I've just been passionate about tennis, and my own game. I think you are the same way.
But Federer fans will post about what they are passionate about, Nadal fans will do the same. Then there's always the battles that ensue. Now it's Djokovic and Murray, in the future it will two other guys or gals.
It's just the nature of forums.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
Alex can think about things for awhile and may have a change of heart.
What's past is past and it's not like the end of the world is hanging in the balance.

But yeah, forums will always have different kinds of posters.
Personally I like the emotional fans as well as the game analysis, both are needed to drive the forum and the variation will appeal to more people.

Constraint is needed so occasionally some posters need to be taken "behind the shed" for educational purposes only.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
I would love to see more "tennis fans" as well, but like dmast says, it's typically the player fans who come to forums.  And that is cool too, would be great to have both though.  I loved the Journals when the were kickin'.  I miss those.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
I would love to see more "tennis fans" as well, but like dmast says, it's typically the player fans who come to forums.  And that is cool too, would be great to have both though.  I loved the Journals when the were kickin'.  I miss those.

Never looked at that area. Never was tempted.
Well occasionally when I was bored I'd check it out. So not "never" "rarely".

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 07:12:39 AM »
author=monstertruck link=topic=18036.msg584297#msg584297
My perception is here at T4U, the majority of 'tennis' fans have been replaced by 'player' fans who attach some personal self-worth to the success or failure of the player they idolize.  Every thread eventually turns into a pissin contest about between fangirls.  Did you ever notice the fangirls don't attach themselves to someone like Kei Nishikori?  Or the doubles team of Paes & Stepanek? ;-()................

You raise an interesting point, Monstertuck. and I've read a similar view from you before.

But "tennis" fans  and "player" fans are not necessarily different categories of fans, and I suspect you're not saying that they are  necessarily different.

Some "tennis" fans are also "player" fans.  In my experience, many who  enjoy the sport are not entirely general tennis fans, and often have a favourite player or two at any given time. 

Indeed, it could also be argued, and with merit, that if a player is admired, it leads to their fans following the sport more closely.  That could be deemed to be good for the sport.  Their engaging in discussions accordingly is not, in itself,  less worthy. 

I can quite readily attest to finding overly detailed technical analysis tedious at times. I'd challenge any suggestion that I am less of a tennis fan because of that.   In the end, these distinctions are meaningless.  Without players, there would be little of interest to discuss & a bias is bound to arise. We like & enjoy different players for different reasons. To me that is interesting, not off putting.   

I agree that the "debates" arising from the need to extinguish or promote a bias in relation to a favourite player can be off putting.  There is sometimes a sense of ownership and entitlement in relation to the "reputation" of a favourite player that leads to some of the most inane and tedious exchanges.

Factor in the taking of sides, the intention to isolate and condemn a member because they don't subscribe to a view,and a deterioration in the quality of a forum ensues.   What I find particularly disappointing is the compulsion to be "right" and to treat the views of others as wrong.  Personal attacks are unjustified, whether by a "tennis" fan or a "player" fan. 

................But yeah, forums will always have different kinds of posters.
Personally I like the emotional fans as well as the game analysis, both are needed to drive the forum and the variation will appeal to more people..........

Well said, Swish.   I concur that followers of the sport are a wide church, and any tennis board would be the more interesting with a mixture of types of tennis fans.   I enjoy analysis, but also the take on things by fans of a particular player.   I suspect I am not the only one.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:45:22 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 08:14:35 AM »
[quote author=monstertruck link=topic=18036.msg584297#msg584297
My perception is here at T4U, the majority of 'tennis' fans have been replaced by 'player' fans who attach some personal self-worth to the success or failure of the player they idolize.  Every thread eventually turns into a pissin contest about between fangirls.  Did you ever notice the fangirls don't attach themselves to someone like Kei Nishikori?  Or the doubles team of Paes & Stepanek? ;-()................

You raise an interesting point, Monstertuck. and I've read a similar view from you before.

But "tennis" fans  and "player" fans are not necessarily different categories of fans, and I suspect you're not saying that they are  necessarily different.

Some "tennis" fans are also "player" fans.  In my experience, many who  enjoy the sport are not entirely general tennis fans, and often have a favourite player or two at any given time. 

Indeed, it could also be argued, and with merit, that if a player is admired, it leads to their fans following the sport more closely.  That could be deemed to be good for the sport.  Their engaging in discussions accordingly is not, in itself,  less worthy. 

I can quite readily attest to finding overly detailed technical analysis tedious at times. I'd challenge any suggestion that I am less of a tennis fan because of that.   In the end, these distinctions are meaningless.  Without players, there would be little of interest to discuss & a bias is bound to arise. We like & enjoy different players for different reasons. To me that is interesting, not off putting.   

I agree that the "debates" arising from the need to extinguish or promote a bias in relation to a favourite player can be off putting.  There is sometimes a sense of ownership and entitlement in relation to the "reputation" of a favourite player that leads to some of the most inane and tedious exchanges.

Factor in the taking of sides, the intention to isolate and condemn a member because they don't subscribe to a view,and a deterioration in the quality of a forum ensues.   What I find particularly disappointing is the compulsion to be "right" and to treat the views of others as wrong.  Personal attacks are unjustified, whether by a "tennis" fan or a "player" fan. 

................But yeah, forums will always have different kinds of posters.
Personally I like the emotional fans as well as the game analysis, both are needed to drive the forum and the variation will appeal to more people..........

Well said, Swish.   I concur that followers of the sport are a wide church, and any tennis board would be the more interesting with a mixture of types of tennis fans.   I enjoy analysis, but also the take on things by fans of a particular player.   I suspect I am not the only one.
[/quote]That's what I meant. :)
The player fans can certainly drive traffic up and I enjoy their contribution for the most part.  Ardent player fans like Alex, Chris, and Dallas (to mention only a few) are valuable members of the forum. 

I miss the traffic in the journal section but for some reason tennis 'players' aren't participating there these days. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
Alex, sad to see you leave.  Hoping that you will reconsider one day..

GBY & MT, you made some great productive comments right above.  GBY I especially agree with the following:
<<<<Indeed, it could also be argued, and with merit, that if a player is admired, it leads to their fans following the sport more closely.  That could be deemed to be good for the sport.  Their engaging in discussions accordingly is not, in itself,  less worthy.
I can quite readily attest to finding overly detailed technical analysis tedious at times. I'd challenge any suggestion that I am less of a tennis fan because of that.   In the end, these distinctions are meaningless.  Without players, there would be little of interest to discuss & a bias is bound to arise. We like & enjoy different players for different reasons. To me that is interesting, not off putting.>>>

And MT, your response to GBY's comment was on the spot too, especially the last sentence of your second paragraphe about personal attacks.  Unfortunately, in every forum there are those addicted to the rush they get from doing that, overriding the desire to have a healthy debate.  It' no exception here, but ignoring and not responding is the best way (they are not many anyway, usually a very small number, not many people are attracted to having such skills nor are they proud to manifest them), because it does not matter what you respond, it's rather the rush of personal attacks and argument that counts for them not necessarily what is said in the debate itself.

Alex so long, but if you come back, this member of T4U will be happy to see you again, you can count on that. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »
Alex, sad to see you leave.  Hoping that you will reconsider one day..

GBY & MT, you made some great productive comments right above.  GBY I especially agree with the following:
<<<<Indeed, it could also be argued, and with merit, that if a player is admired, it leads to their fans following the sport more closely.  That could be deemed to be good for the sport.  Their engaging in discussions accordingly is not, in itself,  less worthy.
I can quite readily attest to finding overly detailed technical analysis tedious at times. I'd challenge any suggestion that I am less of a tennis fan because of that.   In the end, these distinctions are meaningless.  Without players, there would be little of interest to discuss & a bias is bound to arise. We like & enjoy different players for different reasons. To me that is interesting, not off putting.>>>

And MT, your response to GBY's comment was on the spot too, especially the last sentence of your second paragraphe about personal attacks.  Unfortunately, in every forum there are those addicted to the rush they get from doing that, overriding the desire to have a healthy debate.  It' no exception here, but ignoring and not responding is the best way (they are not many anyway, usually a very small number, not many people are attracted to having such skills nor are they proud to manifest them), because it does not matter what you respond, it's rather the rush of personal attacks and argument that counts for them not necessarily what is said in the debate itself.

Alex so long, but if you come back, this member of T4U will be happy to see you again, you can count on that.
I'm no angel, I've been guilty of that in the past. :paper bag:

I think you're right Mertov, for the most part, there are just a few bad apples.  I never considered Alex one of them.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 02:20:31 PM »
Good to hear from people about this. For myself, I enjoyed many of Alex's posts and am sorry to see him gone.

I must confess that I have not had much interest in the t4U site since Cincy because it seemed to me to have become very negative. Most of my reactions, such as some splendid tennis in today's China final, tend to the positive and don't appear to fit.

I'm still playing two-four times a week but have not contributed to the Journal for fear of being repetitive and adding boredom to the mix.