Author Topic: IF STOCKHOLM OPEN  (Read 890 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
IF STOCKHOLM OPEN
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:24:09 PM »
IF Stockholm Open 14th 20th October 2013
ATP 250

Official website:
http://www.stockholmopen.se/en-GB

Thomas Berdych is the defending champion,but appears not to be playing it.  Milos Raonic took a wild card no doubt in a bid to boost his chances to play the Barclays Year End Final. He is joined by, amongst others:

David Ferrer;       Jerzy Janowicz;
Kevin Anderson;   Grigor Dimitrov;
Fernando Verdasco;  Ernests Gulbis;
Benoit Paire;   Jarrki Neimenen.

My picks for the title are Raonic & Gulbis, although Id like to see Dimitrov do something spectacular!

The singles draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?EventId=429&Year=2013

The doubles draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2013&EventId=429&Draw=md

My pick for the doubles title are the winners in Shanghai, Dodid / Melo.

Schedule for Monday 14th October:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/schedule.aspx?EventId=429
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:44:09 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: IF STOCKHOLM OPEN
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
Nice draw, curious to see how Gulbis, Janowicz, Dimitrov and Sijsling will do.
Too bad Sijsling will probably play Gulbis already in 2nd round though.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
Yes, I like the look of the meet at Stockholm too, Lugburz. I'm pleased to see Paire through.

Singles Results for 14 October:

J Johansson  defeats       D Dzumhur   62 6
N Langer   defeats      P Rosenholm   63 46 62   
B Paire      defeats      S Giraldo   64 64   
I Sijsling   defeats      T Kamke   64 62   
P Carreno Busta     defeats    J Zopp   55   
M Sekulic   defeats       J Reister   63 22   
M Copil   defeats      D Cox   63 6

Doubles  results:

G Kretschmer / A Satschko   defeats  M Kowalczyk / I Zelenay        64 76(4)

Schedule for 15th October:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/scores/schedule.aspx?year=2013&eventid=429

Carpe Diem

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:06 AM »
Gulbis vs Jerzy.... :whistle:

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:15:17 AM »
Ok, Jerzy backhand so far so good. Cannot compare his current backhand to his backhand early this year. It is improved a lot.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:26:43 AM »
Jerzy leads 3-1 in 1st set.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:41:47 AM »
Smart Volley from Jerzy

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:55:48 AM »
Hello Williamchung.   -  Your man lost his advantage, and Gulbis has turned this match around, going ahead 6-5.   

I'm supporting Gulbis in this match as I prefer his game.   :)

Edit:   JJ not able to serve well in that game & gets broken by EG who takes the first set 75, and has the advantage of serving first in the second set.  I hope they both play well as I'd like to see a good contest.

Loool!   There goes the racquet.  EG disgusted at losing his game.  Good job from JJ there to take the break. And he's serving well now.

And once again - Looool!  EG served underarm  on the last serve of his service game.  The man is a character, no doubt, but I'm not impressed with this silliness.   But he is playing well.

JJ played a sloppy couple of points there & has been broken back.

Some quite superb play by JJ in the last game - what a forehand cross court!  But EG playing well too & holding serve to go up 32.

What outstanding play by JJ there.  Outright winners on the run, outplaying his opponent with considerable panache.  And he breaks to go up 43.

Let's see what EG can do here.  He played as well as he could, with a couple of winners, but JJ holding serve.

Gulbis serving well enough,but JJ taking it to 30-40 from 0-40 before EG took the game.  He looks ready for a battle.  I'd forgotten that he's been off with an injury & this is his first tournament back. 

And JJ serves it out in style to take the second set 64.  I'm looking forward to the 3rd set & hope it's a cracker.

Well, whilst talking to oneself has its advantages, as this place is emptier than the stands in Stockholm, I'll be off.   :rofl_2:     Williamchung -  as things stand, I give JJ the edge, and think he'll win it.  But I hope EG has other ideas.    :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:45:30 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
Hello Williamchung.   -  Your man lost his advantage, and Gulbis has turned this match around, going ahead 6-5.   

I'm supporting Gulbis in this match as I prefer his game.   :)

Edit:   JJ not able to serve well in that game & gets broken by EG who takes the first set 75, and has the advantage of serving first in the second set.  I hope they both play well as I'd like to see a good contest.

Loool!   There goes the racquet.  EG disgusted at losing his game.  Good job from JJ there to take the break. And he's serving well now.

And once again - Looool!  EG served underarm  on the last serve of his service game.  The man is a character, no doubt, but I'm not impressed with this silliness.   But he is playing well.

JJ played a sloppy couple of points there & has been broken back.

Some quite superb play by JJ in the last game - what a forehand cross court!  But EG playing well too & holding serve to go up 32.

What outstanding play by JJ there.  Outright winners on the run, outplaying his opponent with considerable panache.  And he breaks to go up 43.

Let's see what EG can do here.  He played as well as he could, with a couple of winners, but JJ holding serve.

Gulbis serving well enough,but JJ taking it to 30-40 from 0-40 before EG took the game.  He looks ready for a battle.  I'd forgotten that he's been off with an injury & this is his first tournament back. 

And JJ serves it out in style to take the second set 64.  I'm looking forward to the 3rd set & hope it's a cracker.

Well, whilst talking to oneself has its advantages, as this place is emptier than the stands in Stockholm, I'll be off.   :rofl_2:     Williamchung -  as things stand, I give JJ the edge, and think he'll win it.  But I hope EG has other ideas.    :)
No, I don't think he will win. Because he still has bad habitat
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:56:43 PM by williamchung7 »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Your instincts were better than mine, Williamchung, and JJ lost.  I hope he'll do better next time.

Verdasco pulled out of his QF with Ferrer due to injury, but it isnt clear whether hell play his doubles matches.   Ferrer faces Gulbis in the SF.
My match of today in Stockholm was the Paire Raonic one.  Ive been keeping an eye on BP for a while & he played an excellent match to oust MR in straight sets.
And Dimitrov is through too, against De Shepper.

My doubles pair here, Dodig/Melo appear not to have played after all, and so my second team is Bjorkman/Lindstedt. 

In the singles, I want to see Gulbis beat Ferrer, and am torn between Paire & Dimitrov, as I enjoy both mens game.   

The schedule for the 19th October:
Santiago Gonzalez (MEX)/Scott Lipsky (USA)-v- Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)/Robert Lindstedt (SWE)
Not Before 3:00 pm
 David Ferrer (ESP) v- Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) v-  Benoit Paire (FRA)
Carpe Diem

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 06:23:24 AM »
Jerzy has habit that using drop shots when he is disadvantage stage. The problem is his opponent is much more proactive and is able to track down this drop shot at that stage. And also, he push too much on his 2nd serve. He really needs kick serve for his second serve.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »
IF Stockholm Open 14th 20th October 2013
ATP 250

Official website:
http://www.stockholmopen.se/en-GB

Thomas Berdych is the defending champion,but appears not to be playing it.  Milos Raonic took a wild card no doubt in a bid to boost his chances to play the Barclays Year End Final. He is joined by, amongst others:

David Ferrer;       Jerzy Janowicz;
Kevin Anderson;   Grigor Dimitrov;
Fernando Verdasco;  Ernests Gulbis;
Benoit Paire;   Jarrki Neimenen.

My picks for the title are Raonic & Gulbis, although Id like to see Dimitrov do something spectacular!

The singles draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?EventId=429&Year=2013

The doubles draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2013&EventId=429&Draw=md

My pick for the doubles title are the winners in Shanghai, Dodid / Melo.
Schedule for Monday 14th October:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/schedule.aspx?EventId=429
I've finally seen Dodig play a couple times now (doubles & singles).
I really like his game, and of course his willingness and ability to move into the forecourt unlike most of the current ATP pros.
Nice to see him get his first title in Shanghai.
I hope that gives him a boost of confidence for next year. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
Jerzy has habit that using drop shots when he is disadvantage stage. The problem is his opponent is much more proactive and is able to track down this drop shot at that stage. And also, he push too much on his 2nd serve. He really needs kick serve for his second serve.
Do you mean he goes for too much or 'pushes' it?
I like players who are willing to go after 2nd serves a bit if their ground game is weaker than their opponents.  The serve is the ultimate 'take charge' shot and under-utilized by most of today's ATPers.  I won't even bother to mention the WTA in this conversation for obvious reasons (Serena W. being the exception).
CONK da ball!!!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
I like players who are willing to go after 2nd serves a bit if their ground game is weaker than their opponents.  The serve is the ultimate 'take charge' shot and under-utilized by most of today's ATPers.  I won't even bother to mention the WTA in this conversation for obvious reasons (Serena W. being the exception).

I believe he goes too much on his second serve. His second serve is about 170-190km and it is very close to line. The issue he is not like Sampras. Kick serve is key for Jerzy to become top player.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
I watched the final on Tennis Channel. It was a tense one with both players doing well. Although I normally cheer for Ferrer, I was glad when Dimitrov won his first ATP tournament.  Although commentators were saying that his was his breakout year, I had been rather disappointed in his appearances in Washington and Cincinnati so I am glad that he came good.  He is, however, an entertaining player, even when he loses. I thought that Dimitrov more than equaled Ferrer in his court coverage and was the better server.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
I watched the final on Tennis Channel. It was a tense one with both players doing well. Although I normally cheer for Ferrer, I was glad when Dimitrov won his first ATP tournament.  Although commentators were saying that his was his breakout year, I had been rather disappointed in his appearances in Washington and Cincinnati so I am glad that he came good.  He is, however, an entertaining player, even when he loses. I thought that Dimitrov more than equaled Ferrer in his court coverage and was the better server.
:yikes:
That's a scary thought!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »

I believe he goes too much on his second serve. His second serve is about 170-190km and it is very close to line. The issue he is not like Sampras. Kick serve is key for Jerzy to become top player.
I must admit, I haven't seen much of JJ yet.
Do you think he could develop a more Sampras-like 2nd serve instead of the kicker?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
I watched the final on Tennis Channel. It was a tense one with both players doing well. Although I normally cheer for Ferrer, I was glad when Dimitrov won his first ATP tournament.  Although commentators were saying that his was his breakout year, I had been rather disappointed in his appearances in Washington and Cincinnati so I am glad that he came good.  He is, however, an entertaining player, even when he loses. I thought that Dimitrov more than equalled Ferrer in his court coverage and was the better server.
:yikes:
That's a scary thought!

It was close. In the deciding third set, about half way through, Ferrer lost the break with a double fault and that was it. So are matches determined!   :dunno:

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »

I must admit, I haven't seen much of JJ yet.
Do you think he could develop a more Sampras-like 2nd serve instead of the kicker?

I have no idea. His second is lack of placement sometime and is lack of accuracy a lot of time. He makes 5-10 double faults in most matches of this year. He still continues doing so and never setback. I don't know it is going to hurt him or not.

I notice that his second serve does not have many spin on it. It is more likely to be flat serve in most of time. Another thing I notice Jerzy stands different positions when he serves 1st and 2nd serve.  When he serves 1st serve, he always stand in the middle of half court. When he serves 2nd serve, he moves closer to central line of court. Last thing is his ball toss is very high.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:06:12 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »
As I mentioned, I don't mind a few DFs during a match if a player is able to use his 2nd serve as a weapon.  Lack of accuracy & spin on that delivery is a concern in my opinion.  I wonder why he also changes position?

Plenty for us armchair critics to talk about! :)) :thumbs-up:
CONK da ball!!!