Author Topic: 2013 ATP YEAR-END AWARDS!  (Read 202 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2013 ATP YEAR-END AWARDS!
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:01:53 PM »
ROGER FEDERER:  Selected by his peers as winner of the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for a ninth (9th) time!!!

ROGER FEDERER:  Selected as "Fan Favorite" for the Eleventh (11th) STRAIGHT YEAR!!!  He received 56% of all the votes.  Nadal finished 2nd; Novak 3rd, and Del Potro 4th.

ROGER FEDERER:  Won Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year for his work with his Foundation in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Malawi, South Africa and Ethiopia, as well as in Switzerland.

RAFAEL NADAL:  Comeback player of the year.

BOB AND MIKE BRYAN:  No. 1 Doubles team

JIRI VESELY:  Youngest player who finished in the top 100 ATP Rankings.

PABLO CARRENO BUSTA:  Most Improved player

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
Re: 2013 ATP YEAR-END AWARDS!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »
I would have given Humanitarian to Nadal for his school in India. That thing is unprecedented. But, he won Humanitarian in the past, so I guess that's enough. I wouldn't have given Nadal the Comeback award. I'd have given that to Robredo. Nadal won 2012 Roland Garros (and other clay events) and made the 2012 AO final. So 2013 was just a continuation of 2013. Robredo whereas completely upped his level from 2012 to 2013.
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
I would have given Humanitarian to Nadal for his school in India. That thing is unprecedented. But, he won Humanitarian in the past, so I guess that's enough. I wouldn't have given Nadal the Comeback award. I'd have given that to Robredo. Nadal won 2012 Roland Garros (and other clay events) and made the 2012 AO final. So 2013 was just a continuation of 2013. Robredo whereas completely upped his level from 2012 to 2013.

Both are great causes, but I'm bias.  Roger has open several school now from his foundation.  And he visits them regularly.  I'm just glad to see both of them giving back.

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:19:47 PM »
I know Agassi has a school in America. Nadal has a school in India. Where is Federer's school at?
“It is not too far way,” Toni Nadal told The Australian after Nadal collected the 13th major of his career by mowing down Novak Djokovic in an electrifying final of the US Open. “It is getting very, very close for Rafa to be level with Roger or more.”

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:55:54 PM »
I know Agassi has a school in America. Nadal has a school in India. Where is Federer's school at?

He has schools in Switzerland, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, and South Africa

Here's the website:

http://www.rogerfedererfoundation.org/en/home/

Offline NADAL2005RG

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
I think his mother was born in South Africa too. I can relate to building a foundation in a parent's homeland, its a great feeling to bring you closer to your family roots.