Author Topic: Australian Open Tennis Draw  (Read 499 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Australian Open Tennis Draw
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:20:49 PM »
Australian Open Tennis Draws are up!  :gleam:

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/index.html?promo=breadcrumb

Here's  .pdf files of the singles.
http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf
http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ws/wsdraw.pdf

Australian TV notes that Tomic faces Nadal in first round.  :crying:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:35:02 PM by euroka1 »

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
Re: Australian Open Tennis Draw
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:45:06 PM »
This draw was pathetic.  Worst draw I have ever seen in my life.  How can you have 4 of the top 6 seed in the same half? 
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
This draw was pathetic.  Worst draw I have ever seen in my life.  How can you have 4 of the top 6 seed in the same half?

If you have a randomly generated system which subdivides the top 8 it's as statistically likely as any other outcome . Its' also possible that you could have exactly the same draw for the top eight in every slam throughout the year, if we a assume a hypothetical that the players maintained their current ranking, since any outcome based on  the random generation of outcomes is equally possible, though admittedly unlikely.

The top half of the draw is very heavily weighted, and given that it's arguable that the big four are now the big three (i'm making a judgement that Fed is now below Nadal, Djoko, Murray) there is an inbuilt lopsidedness to any draw, which has been exacerbated here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:49:42 PM by jesse james »
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »

If you have a randomly generated system which subdivides the top 8 it's as statistically likely as any other outcome . Its' also possible that you could have exactly the same draw for the top eight in every slam throughout the year, if we a assume a hypothetical that the players maintained their current ranking, since any outcome based on  the random generation of outcomes is equally possible, though admittedly unlikely.

The top half of the draw is very heavily weighted, and given that it's arguable that the big four are now the big three (i'm making a judgement that Fed is now below Nadal, Djoko, Murray) there is an inbuilt lopsidedness to any draw, which has been exacerbated here.
Australian TV notes that Tomic faces Nadal in first round.  :crying:

I bet Tomic and his Dad think it's fixed, too.  :cursing: :)>>>>

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »

If the odds are there then it has to happen sooner or later.

Murray's form is questionable as is Federer's. That should even up the draw some.

Tomic might as well take a vacation.

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 06:50:17 PM »
There has to be a point where you have some brains and step in and adjust the rankings.  4 out of the last 5 grandslam winners for the last, what.... 10 years!!??  are all in the same half of the draw. 

It is pathetic.  I understand HOW it is done.  Yet that is NOT an excuse.
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
There has to be a point where you have some brains and step in and adjust the rankings.  4 out of the last 5 grandslam winners for the last, what.... 10 years!!??  are all in the same half of the draw. 

The draw may be poor for your player, and that's what I assume to be the case, but the real beauty of tennis is the quality of matches played.  :cool:
Try not to get too down on the draw, just enjoy the tennis.  ://

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
I agree with swish.  Given Federer and Murray's current forms, I am more inclined to see someone else come out of that quarter to face Nadal (or whoever else if Rafa gets upset).  I believe Tsonga, Isner, Simon, Cilic, Kohlschreiber feel pretty good about their chances considering the quarter they are in..

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »

Murray's form is questionable as is Federer's. That should even up the draw some.

Hi Swish,Murray's form might be questionable after the back op,i think here we will find out where his game is @ (Australian Open)Players who have the night matches will have the best chance,i'd be shocked if Murray wins here.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »

Hi Swish,Murray's form might be questionable after the back op,i think here we will find out where his game is @ (Australian Open)Players who have the night matches will have the best chance,i'd be shocked if Murray wins here.

Hi Sid.
I don't think Murray's had enough time to be ready and with the back he probably did very little.

There's a lot of talk about Del Potro's chances, he's looked good lately.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »

Hi Sid.
I don't think Murray's had enough time to be ready and with the back he probably did very little.

The maybe match up with Nadal looks a good one on paper,if Potty can win that anything can happen.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »

Hi Sid.

The maybe match up with Nadal looks a good one on paper,if Potty can win that anything can happen.

I just want a good match, I hope both make it that far.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »

I suppose that would smack of favoritism to some and appear unfair as well.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »
Nah man... it isn't favoritism.  It is about smart management of an organization.

I don't know if you guys remember, but a LOOONG time ago David nalbandian had to play like 3 matches in 3 days before facing Roddick in the semi-finals of the US Open.  He took the first two sets before visibly wilting and losing the next 3.

Andy ROddick hadn't played a single point in the previous 2 days...

Because of many s**t situations like that, the ATP got smart and said, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't screw one guy over and try to actually *do* something about this."

Thus, they now play the finals on monday and are more open to adjustment in schedule at the US Open when it comes to rain delay.

here you have the same thing.  You can't leave a draw completely open to random chance.  It is ridiculous.

For you guys saying it is favoritism, you are all playing favorites for anyone against Nadal.  Don't be stupid, I have seen all your biased posts over the years.

Meanwhile I would have said the SAME exact thing if Djoker was #1 and Nadal was #2 and the draws remained the same. 

WHy??  Because it is a stupid situation regardless of WHO the seeds are.

Quit player hating on Nadal and fix the system.  If you have any doubts, read the signature!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:54:54 AM by TheLogo »
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »
I can't find my violin anywhere.  :whistle:

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »

Remove your head from your arse and you might find it!!

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Seriously though, next thing you guys are going to be telling me is that the Aussie Open officials should be applauded for their extreme heat policy!
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »

Remove your head from your arse and you might find it!!

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Seriously though, next thing you guys are going to be telling me is that the Aussie Open officials should be applauded for their extreme heat policy!

:rofl_2:

Ah well.

Remember, it's not one player who is in the tough half, it's 64.  :cool:

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 11:18:51 AM »
Swish, I don't know how old you are, or if you are American or not, so the following may not be relative to you...

Yet,  we have a sport over here which has propelled itself to great heights.  The NFL.  It has done this through proper management of the organization as a whole.  We have another sport that is also becoming resurgent after a going through a rough patch (the NBA).

In both instances, the commissioners stepped up, addressed issues with the sports, made bold calls and moved forward.  The final result is a product that has become greater then ever (though I would argue that the NBA is taking the wussy play too far now - i long for the days of handchecking on the perimeter).

Despite watching all these changes, I have seen my favorite sports organization, the ATP refuse and do little to improve it's product.

It is not a secret... we commonly KNOW who the best guys are in tennis.  They are seeded as such.  Give them the respect that their seeding demands and don't leave it up to chance.  We could have had the same dynamic situation we have now (with Djokovic getting upset and Del Potro losing early) if we had seeded these guys sensibly for semifinals and quarterfinal matchups. Yet, you wouldn't have the dreaded "what-if" scenario that could have been. 

Such as, "what if" Rog had to beat Tsonga, beat Murray, beat Rafa, and THEN beat Djokovic to get the title.

I know purists hate change, but common sense can go a long way in improving a product.  And that is all that sports are, products for our consumption.

Enjoy!
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »
The ATP is slow to change.
Personally I just want good matches so enjoy them when they present themselves.  :king: